Examples of Zach Wilson pocket pressure & reaction breakdown

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Appreciate that bro! I actually might make this a regular thing, as long as you guys enjoy reading it.

Absolutely!  You seem to have knack for it, so as long as you keep it going, I’ll keep reading. The USC tape is really great.  That particular throw where he pump fakes the defender and rifles in a pass is the stuff I like to see.  Plus, it’s, arguably, the best all around team he’s faced to date and despite the talent disparity, Wilson willed them to a win.  You can’t help but love to see that.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Plus, it’s, arguably, the best all around team he’s faced to date and despite the talent disparity, Wilson willed them to a win.  You can’t help but love to see that.

After seeing the numbers before the film, 2019’s tape isn’t bad at all. It’s really not hard to see why it all came together for him in 2020. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

After seeing the numbers before the film, 2019’s tape isn’t bad at all. It’s really not hard to see why it all came together for him in 2020. 

That USC game especially is wayyy impressive. 

Awesome stuff and I hope you continue with this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Pretty much.  He had a pretty darn good freshman year, teams got tape, he improved in some areas, regressed in others (injury or other circumstances attributed to this), and then he responded/improved his game accordingly, took the massive leap, and the rest is history.  It’s what usually happens for prospects.  When you study the film, there is a ton of things to like.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I would not be surprised to see JD sign Richard Sherman at some point...

I'm torn on that one.  On one hand Sherman would be good in the Bart Scott role, helping teach the team its new defensive scheme.  Being an on field coach

On the other hand Shermans lost a lot, do we need a replay of the finale go round of Revis?

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

@Mogglezhere is USC 2019 for you.

[Game 3] 2019 VS USC

0YvAp5.gif

Wilson is not an all-world athlete, but on this first play, he shows impressive short area quickness & even a bit of fire at the end of the play.

So we have Wilson running the RPO here, receiver motions over, Zach makes his decision what he wants to do with this ball as soon as the coverage is tipped off. he keeps it himself and he makes #99 break dance with this juke #TWITCHY. He bounces outside once more to get around the block and it takes two defenders to drive Wilson out of bounds at the end. good job recognizing the coverage & having the athleticism he does have to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

note: you can see at the end of the play, Wilson's not particularly happy with the way the USC DB shoved him & Wilson shoves right back. I like that fire. it's not a trait or talent... but I LIKE IT!

D1pw7K.gif

vlKmz5.gif

Here we have a first & 10 starting on the 40 yard line right after a quick 3 & out from USC. good field position & the perfect opportunity to make a strong early game statement with the game tied up. pressure crashes in straight up the middle. BYU's OL lets a free rusher in unblocked but he's too slow to get there because Wilson quickly identifies the mismatch with his TE up the seam & he fires an absolute beaut' back shoulder throw to set up a fresh set of downs. nice job by Zach understanding his best option and not hesitating in the midst of pressure. don't think about it. don't pull the pass down & back peddle. you know if you can wind up on the right side of the fence with your ball placement on this throw, you can complete this pass in time and he does.

p8r9PV.gif

I'm not sure who's responsible for the middle of the field but USC lapses in coverage & Wilson is all over it. #1 for USC creeps up from his LBer spot & blitzes Wilson off the left side but gets picked up by the RB, I believe when #1 rushed in, #10 was suppose to rotate coverage to account for the soft spot #1 left when he blitzed. 10 was playing way too close to the line and Wilson fires a strike over the middle. Nothing jaw dropping here but nice reaction skills and nice job processing & adjusting on the fly.

0YvAPy.gif
WOWZA! Wilson drops back, clean pocket, identifies the mismatch & a mismatch it is, the BYU WR outmuscles the press & gets a step or two in front of the DB, Wilson couldn't of air dropped the ball in any better than that. beautiful pitch & catch. Watch Wilson's lower body as he throws this. tight form & disciplined mechanics make this throw what it is!!

k8960E.gif

Wilson rolls out right and fires a laser across his body towards the sideline and connects with his receiver via Bluetooth.

6XLYpl.gif

Wilson under center here, you get to see him turn his back to the defense, he pump fakes and fires to his man up the sideline. that pump fake freed #17 up and made the entire space in the coverage possible because the DB was originally dropping back with him into the next level.

Watch Wilson freeze #10 before the release.

3QBYgM.gif

BYU gets the ball back down 4 late in the 4th Q. they need 6 right now & not later. Wilson steps up to the plate here with an INSANE throw. Zach's RG gets tossed like a rag doll and flushes Wilson out of position, he circles around, sees the DE coming free off his block, splits in-between the gap of both defenders in pursuit, and fires a bomb to his man who was left uncovered deep. off schedule magic!!!

BNl1JJ.gif

QB Draw from the 20 yard line. Wilson shoots up the gut, shrugs off a tackle attempt, and dives into the endzone to put BYU up 27-24 late in the 4th Q

gZ1746.gif

Game tied up, 1:22 left on the clock, Wilson has BYU marching, they come up on a critical 3rd & 5, Wilson feels the pressure, he begins to back peddle and runs around for what feels like forever. This is a big NO NO in an NFL game but sometimes this does happen with guys who really believe in their off schedule ability. Wilson somehow has the wheels to almostttttt secure the first down from where he started running for the sticks at his own 5. thats 25-some yards of space he covered with no room left to spare. 

BYU kicks a FG on 4th down and they win.

OT WINS in back to back weeks.

Great work, friend. Great work. 

The backpedaling drives me nuts, but you can't argue with the athleticism or the arm talent. Please don't let him be injury prone. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Pretty much.  He had a pretty darn good freshman year, teams got tape, he improved in some areas, regressed in others (injury or other circumstances attributed to this), and then he responded/improved his game accordingly, took the massive leap, and the rest is history.  It’s what usually happens for prospects.  When you study the film, there is a ton of things to like.

Everyone’s go-to Wilson slight now is that Wilson runs backwards often and gets himself into danger, but if anything, this tape has just made it even more clear to me that he doesn’t do it all that often at all, in fact, I can only name 2 times he did anything remotely close out of 5-6 game mix of 19’ & 2020 film. He also doesn’t only operate well in chaos. The USC game showed some really good throws from the pocket. Beautiful ones. Decisive ones.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Great work, friend. Great work. 

The backpedaling drives me nuts, but you can't argue with the athleticism or the arm talent. Please don't let him be injury prone. 

Almost reminded me of the 2018 Darnold play against Buffalo where he ran around and reversed field to find Robby. Wilson accounted for much more yards though. The back peddling here is probably the only time I’ve actually seen it, but, alas, I expect anti-Wilson posters to ride that one for a minute.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Appreciate that bro! I actually might make this a regular thing, as long as you guys enjoy reading it, that’s all that matters.

Very impressed. Not just with the video clips, but your analysis, your breaking down the plays. Noting his mechanics, etc. Kudos bro. Mel Kiper got nuttin on you.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Everyone’s go-to Wilson slight now is that Wilson runs backwards often and gets himself into danger, but if anything, this tape has just made it even more clear to me that he doesn’t do it all that often at all, in fact, I can only name 2 times he did anything remotely close out of 5-6 game mix of 19’ & 2020 film. He also doesn’t only operate well in chaos. The USC game showed some really good throws from the pocket. Beautiful ones. Decisive ones.

I thought he sits in a clean pocket and has all day to decide which wide open WR he should throw to

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Almost reminded me of the 2018 Darnold play against Buffalo where he ran around and reversed field to find Robby. Wilson accounted for much more yards though. The back peddling here is probably the only time I’ve actually seen it, but, alas, I expect anti-Wilson posters to ride that one for a minute.

Ahh, classic Sam play. Yes. :sad:

The kid can obviously play. My big fear is that he gets hurt. I more or less buy everything else.  

I get why the Jets are almost definitely going to take this kid. I see it. It's just extremely hard for me to believe in another young QB after Sam. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ahh, classic Sam play. Yes. :sad:

The kid can obviously play. My big fear is that he gets hurt. I more or less buy everything else.  

I get why the Jets are almost definitely going to take this kid. I see it. It's just extremely hard for me to believe in another young QB after Sam. 

Understandable. Hard to really put all your eggs in a basket on QB pick when you’re a Jets fan. This last one was inexcusable. I just try to repeat to myself that Wilson is walking into much better situation than Darnold was. JD needs to continue surrounding him with as many resources as humanly possible. I love that the scheme is something he can easily transition into and understand, as he’s familiar with elements of the WCO & PA game from BYU.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Very impressed. Not just with the video clips, but your analysis, your breaking down the plays. Noting his mechanics, etc. Kudos bro. Mel Kiper got nuttin on you.  

Very much appreciated! Intend on continuing after the draft as well. I think it’d be cool to have a thread breakdown of Zach’s passing the day after each game during his rookie season. It’s a cool way to note his progression.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, Patriot Killa said:

I'll be updating this thread as I go because theres so much I wanted to cover but just can't in one post.

I wanted to start this series of breakdowns away from Wilson's 2020 season and as far away from the weaker teams as I could. . . . on purpose.

important to note: I am not a professional at all lol. I know what I'm looking at, I believe I know the correct way to interpret that to everyone lmao, but I'm mostly doing this for fun)

[Game 1] 2019 VS Tennessee

XLmrjV.gif

Okay, so there isn't much here on this first example other than the pressure instantly caves in from the right side. The RG gets beat off the swim move as soon as the ball is snapped. Zach is starting his progressions from the left side and doesn't initially see the rusher until his move is already made, but you can see at the last split second, he turns his head to right & notices the pass rusher out of the corner of his eye, he steps up into the pocket to avoid getting wrapped up into a sack but the edge gets there in time to make the play.

There are a few things I look for in particular that I'd like to stand out in the situation where a play is blown up as soon as the play is in motion. is the QB a multi-tasker and can he keep his head up and stand firm knowing in the back of his mind there is a 250lb + DE closing in on him. Wilson keeps his head up as he's making his initial move to avoid the sack, he calmly makes his side step while still reading the field for a throw & his feet are calm and still in a position to rip a pass, he doesn't get wide based in his lower mechanics or stray away from it in chaos, but, at that point, he's toast.

let me be clear, I don't take anything in this first example as mind boggling or something most other NFL QB's can't do.(actually Sam Darnold did this a lot, aside from straying away from his mechanics & decision making once he did side step pressure.), but it's a good ice breaker for this breakdown & I guess I try to find the little things & see if they follow a pattern on much bigger plays.

jZ782v.gif

1st & 10 here at mid-field, good job understanding the situation here. Zach Wilson rolls out to his left, tries to shake the defender rushing in on him, but once he realizes the coverage sliding to the only receiver he can realistically get the ball off to, there just isn't enough time to dodge & reset, he opts to throw it away & kill the play. this play made me smile.

gZ12ZG.gif

this is a good example of Wilson rushing the process in his head. I know Tenn had two rushers collapsing from both sides but as he's stepping up in the pocket, it looks like he wants to fire it to the right side but didn't like the look enough to pull the trigger, instead, he pulls it down and tries find a running lane and gets taken into a swarm of orange & white jerseys. It's hard to know what the back end overage looked like from this angle, but safe to say the back end was covered well enough based on Wilson's reaction to the pocket. I thought he bailed too soon on this play personally. he wasn't comfortable enough to climb to the left and find the soft spot in the pocket.

5QJLRv.gif

okay, 3rd & 1 here, down 3 against an SEC team, top of the 3rd Q, need to strike back & swing momentum BYU's way. its an RPO where he can either hand it off or go to his hitch route on the right side. Wilson pulls it for the pass & his hitch route is immediately covered so he dirts it. I'm not sure what he was reading on that one, but as soon as he realizes its not there he does the smart thing and kills the play. the correct thing to do was hand the ball off and play it safe here. they're one 1st down away from being in opponent territory, just keep the drive alive then look to open it up with a fresh set of downs. some of the best QB's have good feel for each situation their offense is placed in during a drive, they know when to take their chances. KNOW THE SITUATION. think thats an important mental aspect of the game that doesn't get talked about enough.

ZYq0WJ.gif

16-16 OT, 1st & 10 after a huge pass to set them up in the red zone. instant pressure flying in from the left side but Wilson's 1st read is all he needs, he feels the rush, he makes the throw, TD BYU. they beat Tennessee IN Tennessee 22-16.

Overall I thought Wilson had some mixed results against Tennessee. he made some smart plays under duress & he had some hiccups under duress. I think even just with this first example though, its from 2019, he faced SEC pressure, and while it wasn't perfect, a sophomore Zach Wilson got the win. 2020 was easier on him but he has faced true pressure. I wanna further magnify  that as I go on.

How many hours of game tape do we have of him performing against top tier college defenses? Ranked teams? Defenses with any players that'll be drafted? 

Before the Wilson fans jump on me, I have no clue whatsoever what this kid is going to be. When he's the draft pick, I'll hope for the best the same way I always do when they draft someone I'm not high on. I've tried to get excited for the kid but the list of concerns/red flags continues to be longer than the things to get excited about. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out whats special about this kid. I just don't see it ?

Fields ceiling is the bad version of Mike Vick minus the dogs.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Great stuff PK. That 30yd TD throw on a rope vs USC is an NFL Throw. That is a very tight window he put it in.

I think the injury concerns are a bit overblown. Zach is about average size for an NFL qb. Very similar build to Aaron Rodgers, deshaun Watson, derek Carr. Darnold has a bigger build and no injury history in college but was injured and missed games every single year in the NFL. Some of it comes down to pocket awareness and knowing when to throw the ball away.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s proven good QB’s don’t come from big competition schools. They come from wherever they happen to play. Good passing habits and a quick processor translates to the league no matter where he plays. Those are extremely important traits that all top QB’s have.

Much like the injury concerns..

That somehow he's more injury prone because of his size - yet the QB injury data show no real relationship between size and injuries.

He's a mid-sized NFL QB and there is simply no correlation between size and injuries.

But people will continue to spew the same narratives even though they've been proven false over and over again...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

does.

p8r9PV.gif

I'm not sure who's responsible for the middle of the field but USC lapses in coverage & Wilson is all over it. #1 for USC creeps up from his LBer spot & blitzes Wilson off the left side but gets picked up by the RB, I believe when #1 rushed in, #10 was suppose to rotate coverage to account for the soft spot #1 left when he blitzed. 10 was playing way too close to the line and Wilson fires a strike over the middle. Nothing jaw dropping here but nice reaction skills and nice job processing & adjusting on the fly.

He nearly got his receiver killed . Throw was inaccurate and shouldve led the receiver away from the safety not up in the air extended with a huge x on his back.

Nitpicky maybe but this is being presented as a highlight 

• Upvote 2

On 4/6/2021 at 4:44 PM, T0mShane said:

Only the fifth one showed any sort of awareness. The other four were disastrous. 

I honestly thought this was a critical thread at first lol

I guess the point is he doesnt throw it up for grabs? But later there was a few gifs listed as great passes that were actually very dangerous throws into coverage.

I'm not seeing what others are seeing 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

I honestly thought this was a critical thread at first lol

I guess the point is he doesnt throw it up for grabs? But later there was a few gifs listed as great passes that were actually very dangerous throws into coverage.

I'm not seeing what others are seeing 

We are going to set a record for being in 3rd-and-26 opportunities. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CTM said:

He nearly got his receiver killed . Throw was inaccurate and shouldve led the receiver away from the safety not up in the air extended with a huge x on his back.

Nitpicky maybe but this is being presented as a highlight 

Ehh I see what you’re saying, but I didn’t think it was so bad. He didn’t lead his man into a sprinting defender like Sanchez did to Dustin Keller against Ray Lewis. The WR had time to shield his body from contact once he went up and the pass was in front of him. I cut this one out for the thread because Wilson correctly identifies the lapse in coverage and quickly understands which receiver is going to be freed up by the defense’s mistake. Agreed that the pass was a little high but definitely not detrimental to the WR if you ask me.

When I was playing WR in school, I would of been told these are good passes that need to be hauled in. It’s a little high but it’s not leading me into a collision and as a WR I need to understand not every pass has perfect ball placement or even ideal placement considering the position the defender is in before I catch the ball. 

I just don’t see this throw as dangerously as you do.

Appreciate the input, however.