Examples of Zach Wilson pocket pressure & reaction breakdown

52 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think Wilson & Darnold do a lot of the same things as far as being a gunslinger & off schedule playmaker, I just think Wilson’s mechanics and form are so much cleaner, I think he sees the fields better, I do think he can get a little bit too risky for my preference at times, but I really like that he dirts passes, throws ball away and lives to fight another down much more than Sam. He has a better understanding of limitations within the play. 

I think thats fair but the flip side is the injury potential. Not only does he have a banged up shoulder but he looks a littlle slight for sundays

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I just want us to come away with a franchise QB no matter who JD decides is the best option.

Really, this is what it boils down to. I was chatting with @Mogglez about this a few days ago. This April, I want Fields. Starting this May, I'm rooting for the front of the jersey regardless of who it is.

If it's Fields, I hope I'm right and he's throwing TDs in Jans and Febs for the next 15 years. 

If it's Wilson, I hope I'm wrong and he's throwing TDs in Jans and Febs for the next 15 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wilson’s decision making is better, better mechanics, better field vision and throwing ability as a result.

seems inherently way more accurate, and when you consider how inaccurate jet qbs have been the past 15 yrs from sanchez to geno to fitz to darnold, i'll take accurate.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, that’s pretty much where I’m at. I know nothing about judging QBs though, I loved Sam after the Rose Bowl and literally cried tears of joy when we drafted him. I actually think Fields would be a more practical lower floor pick but don’t honestly have a clue. 

I’ve come to he conclusion that’s it’s basically a huge guessing game even after 6-7 months of scouts watching their film. Lol, there’s no final answer that you’ll feel 1000% comfortable taking lol just too many variables in the making of a successful pro QB. That’s why this stuff’s so spicy!!!?

• Upvote 2

Darnold has pin point accuracy between 5-20 yards, Jets fans are so jaded they can't see that. 

Agreed that Wilsons mechanics and arm strength separate him from Darnold, I also see a lot of similarities in their games. 

Some people need to take a step back and look at how other QBs looked in their college tape. Every QB has huge holes and horrible plays. I think some posters expect the #2 pick to have flawless tape but that just isnt the case. I can make a cut up of TL throwing multiple passes directly into the chest of defenders. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Darnold has pin point accuracy between 5-20 yards, Jets fans are so jaded they can't see that. 

Not really -- at least not consistently. His dazzling plays are usually in that area of the field, but he misses a lot of throws in that territory.

qb-grid-chart_DAR466141_2020-REG-all_1609781185758.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

Not really -- at least not consistently. His dazzling plays are usually in that area of the field, but he misses a lot of throws in that territory.

Hes essentially leauge avg with the worst OL and throwing to berrios as his #1

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

We're so worried about getting a QB who can make throws under pressure that before anything else, we need to find a QB who can make throws with a clean pocket. There aren't many teams that are successful with a sh*tty offensive line. The idea is to support Wilson with a line so he can make throws in a clean pocket.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

LOL, you Sam guys exaggerate so much. 

How many games was Berriors was his number 1 WR? Please count. 

Sorry I meant hogan. Darnold isn’t on the Jets anymore why do you feel the need to sh*t on him still? 

Just now, QB1 said:

Sorry I meant hogan. Darnold isn’t on the Jets anymore why do you feel the need to sh*t on him still? 

I'm not sh*tting on him. But blatant falsehoods should be called out, regardless of who gets offended. 

And even Hogan - For how many of Sam's 38 games was Chris Hogan the Jets #1 WR? 

• Upvote 3

Just now, slimjasi said:

I'm not sh*tting on him. But blatant falsehoods should be called out, regardless of who gets offended. 

And even Hogan - For how many of Sam's 38 games was Chris Hogan the Jets #1 WR? 

I don't know, even one is one too many. What is your point? You think Darnold played with average OL and WR? You make decisions based on easily manipulated metrics that don't account for context, I use my eyes. Goodbye. 

Just now, QB1 said:

I don't know, even one is one too many. What is your point? You think Darnold played with average OL and WR? You make decisions based on easily manipulated metrics that don't account for context, I use my eyes. Goodbye. 

If your eyes aren't supported by statistics, then what?

17 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Dude can throw the crap out of a swing pass!

edit: (to the right)

4 hours ago, CTM said:

He nearly got his receiver killed . Throw was inaccurate and shouldve led the receiver away from the safety not up in the air extended with a huge x on his back.

Nitpicky maybe but this is being presented as a highlight 

Disagree. That WR wasn't running and had settled into the soft spot of a zone defense, just past the 1st down marker.. So there was no way to "lead the wr away", imho.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, QB1 said:

The point was, he wasn't very good regardless of who he was throwing to and the stats kind of bear that out.   My eyes showed a player who really needed more development; hopefully he gets in Charlotte. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

@Mogglezhere is USC 2019 for you.

[Game 3] 2019 VS USC

0YvAp5.gif

Wilson is not an all-world athlete, but on this first play, he shows impressive short area quickness & even a bit of fire at the end of the play.

So we have Wilson running the RPO here, receiver motions over, Zach makes his decision what he wants to do with this ball as soon as the coverage is tipped off. he keeps it himself and he makes #99 break dance with this juke #TWITCHY. He bounces outside once more to get around the block and it takes two defenders to drive Wilson out of bounds at the end. good job recognizing the coverage & having the athleticism he does have to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

note: you can see at the end of the play, Wilson's not particularly happy with the way the USC DB shoved him & Wilson shoves right back. I like that fire. it's not a trait or talent... but I LIKE IT!

D1pw7K.gif

vlKmz5.gif

Here we have a first & 10 starting on the 40 yard line right after a quick 3 & out from USC. good field position & the perfect opportunity to make a strong early game statement with the game tied up. pressure crashes in straight up the middle. BYU's OL lets a free rusher in unblocked but he's too slow to get there because Wilson quickly identifies the mismatch with his TE up the seam & he fires an absolute beaut' back shoulder throw to set up a fresh set of downs. nice job by Zach understanding his best option and not hesitating in the midst of pressure. don't think about it. don't pull the pass down & back peddle. you know if you can wind up on the right side of the fence with your ball placement on this throw, you can complete this pass in time and he does.

p8r9PV.gif

I'm not sure who's responsible for the middle of the field but USC lapses in coverage & Wilson is all over it. #1 for USC creeps up from his LBer spot & blitzes Wilson off the left side but gets picked up by the RB, I believe when #1 rushed in, #10 was suppose to rotate coverage to account for the soft spot #1 left when he blitzed. 10 was playing way too close to the line and Wilson fires a strike over the middle. Nothing jaw dropping here but nice reaction skills and nice job processing & adjusting on the fly.

0YvAPy.gif
WOWZA! Wilson drops back, clean pocket, identifies the mismatch & a mismatch it is, the BYU WR outmuscles the press & gets a step or two in front of the DB, Wilson couldn't of air dropped the ball in any better than that. beautiful pitch & catch. Watch Wilson's lower body as he throws this. tight form & disciplined mechanics make this throw what it is!!

k8960E.gif

Wilson rolls out right and fires a laser across his body towards the sideline and connects with his receiver via Bluetooth.

6XLYpl.gif

Wilson under center here, you get to see him turn his back to the defense, he pump fakes and fires to his man up the sideline. that pump fake freed #17 up and made the entire space in the coverage possible because the DB was originally dropping back with him into the next level.

Watch Wilson freeze #10 before the release.

3QBYgM.gif

BYU gets the ball back down 4 late in the 4th Q. they need 6 right now & not later. Wilson steps up to the plate here with an INSANE throw. Zach's RG gets tossed like a rag doll and flushes Wilson out of position, he circles around, sees the DE coming free off his block, splits in-between the gap of both defenders in pursuit, and fires a bomb to his man who was left uncovered deep. off schedule magic!!!

BNl1JJ.gif

QB Draw from the 20 yard line. Wilson shoots up the gut, shrugs off a tackle attempt, and dives into the endzone to put BYU up 27-24 late in the 4th Q

gZ1746.gif

Game tied up, 1:22 left on the clock, Wilson has BYU marching, they come up on a critical 3rd & 5, Wilson feels the pressure, he begins to back peddle and runs around for what feels like forever. This is a big NO NO in an NFL game but sometimes this does happen with guys who really believe in their off schedule ability. Wilson somehow has the wheels to almostttttt secure the first down from where he started running for the sticks at his own 5. thats 25-some yards of space he covered with no room left to spare. 

BYU kicks a FG on 4th down and they win.

OT WINS in back to back weeks.

What's impressive is his ability to instinctively react to pressure situations and improvise.  It's street ball.  Wilson shows good field vision in those situations.  This may be due to his reputation for intensive film study.  

On one throw he was quickly rolling out to his right and near the 40 line marker.   And quick released a sideline pass with both feet off the ground.    Also when he circled back and split the two pass rushers, heading back to the LOS, he quick released that deep throw with his feet off the ground.  To get that much torque and velocity on those type of throws is not something you can teach.

These are probably the kind of off platform stuff that makes JD-Saleh-LaFleur so high on Wilson.  

Thanks.  Hope you have more clips to post.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

Agreed that Wilsons mechanics and arm strength separate him from Darnold, I also see a lot of similarities in their games. 

Some people need to take a step back and look at how other QBs looked in their college tape. Every QB has huge holes and horrible plays. I think some posters expect the #2 pick to have flawless tape but that just isnt the case. I can make a cut up of TL throwing multiple passes directly into the chest of defenders. 

He’s not accurate