Dear New York Jets Administration,

14 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

All Pro CB's are found in the first round... period. If they decide one is available at 23, I trust their judgement. Our CB's are the worst position group in the NFL, they can use 1 of our many high round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Jets offense is a clogged toilet. Worry about that first before DB’s.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, doitny said:

there are going to be alot of disappointed people on this board when he drafts a CB at 23. lol

i want the best available guy, i would hate to force the pick on offensive or defense if someone better is there.

There will be.   The worst part of it though, it will tell me that JD is in over his head and we'll be looking for a new GM in 2 years.

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Are we all just supposed to agree with your singular mind? 

No but crowd speak here says the jets are not allowed to draft defense until the 3rd or 4th round... How about you find out who falls... Especially with less talented edge rushers outside the first round it would make more sense to draft one of the top edge rushers at 23 and draft WR and OL later where the difference between the prospects is negaliable 

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

No but crowd speak here says the jets are not allowed to draft defense until the 3rd or 4th round... How about you find out who falls... Especially with less talented edge rushers outside the first round it would make more sense to draft one of the top edge rushers at 23 and draft WR and OL later where the difference between the prospects is negaliable 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but it seemed to me like you we insulting that those of us that think it's wrong to draft defense early are somehow being stubborn but your position was clearly the right one and we were simply wrong for standing by our conviction.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but it seemed to me like you we insulting that those of us that think it's wrong to draft defense early are somehow being stubborn but your position was clearly the right one and we were simply wrong for standing by our conviction.

I am not insulting you but you are insulting a GM if he doesn't draft all offense in the first 3 picks which insane

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

I am not insulting you but you are insulting a GM if he doesn't draft all offense in the first 3 picks which insane

Yes.  That is correct.

I'm not insulting him personally just his job performance.  

If he doesn't draft offense with his first 3 picks (really 4 but I can live with it) IMO it will be eventually proven out that he is in over his head and won't be long for the GM role.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  That is correct.

I'm not insulting him personally just his job performance.  

If he doesn't draft offense with his first 3 picks (really 4 but I can live with it) IMO it will be eventually proven out that he is in over his head and won't be long for the GM role.

Which is insanity... Forcing picks on any GM is the reason the jets are in this mess... 

Just now, Skeptable said:

Which is insanity... Forcing picks on any GM is the reason the jets are in this mess... 

It's exactly the opposite of what you just stated.. Continuing to draft defense in the first round is why we're in the mess more than any other single reason.  Forcing BPA was Mac's speciality. 

There will be offensive value at 23, 34 and 66.  I'm not suggesting you force OL...just take the best offensive player on their board.  

In my opinion it would be insanity to do anything other than that

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 4/6/2021 at 1:37 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Take note: All the guys that got fired over the last few years, from GMs to multiple Head Coaches and staffs, they all got fired for basically the same reason... Failing to support the young Franchise Quarterback (You know, the guy you just traded away for about half the amount it cost the team to draft him...).

So IF you DO draft Zach Wilson or any of the other young Quarterbacks in the draft, if someone in the room suggests drafting Defense at 23 or 34 throw him out of the F***ing War Room!!

Support the QB!! And if we hired yet ANOTHER Defense Minded Head Coach that needs first rounders at every position for his Defense to "succeed", you hired the wrong guy.

Again. 

I know right? I was so excited when they finally did something different and hired an offensive guy for HC, little did we really know then that he was the worst offensive mind in the game and never even talked to Sam Darnold, Who knows, maybe they'll get it right this time, I sure hope so, I'm running out of football seasons and chances to watch another Super Bowl win. hell, the last one I watched was also when pubic hairs first started to show up down south.They're getting gray now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It's exactly the opposite of what you just stated.. Continuing to draft defense in the first round is why we're in the mess more than any other single reason.  Forcing BPA was Mac's speciality. 

There will be offensive value at 23, 34 and 66.  I'm not suggesting you force OL...just take the best offensive player on their board.  

In my opinion it would be insanity to do anything other than that

I mean, not really. The team is in this mess because Mac was terrible at drafting AND drafted nothing but defense. His offensive picks sucked too. If he had drafted purely offense and surrounded Sam with low picks it’s likely they’d be in the same situation. Limiting your picks like this is fool’s gold. Besides, it really depends on where the value is. This has been JD’s MO thus far. If Will linebackers are not deep, I believe Douglas would pull the trigger on that before going with a WR in a deep WR class. 

I see where you’re coming from, but imo, JD is looking to build a well-rounded team. Going all offense isn’t that. I suspect we’ll see a defensive player in the first three picks based on the value of players in later rounds. I don’t see that as a failure, just intelligent drafting. 

but who knows, he may sh*t the bed and draft a MLB at 23. It is, after all, the Jets.

3 minutes ago, the Claw said:

I mean, not really. The team is in this mess because Mac was terrible at drafting AND drafted nothing but defense. His offensive picks sucked too. If he had drafted purely offense and surrounded Sam with low picks it’s likely they’d be in the same situation. Limiting your picks like this is fool’s gold. Besides, it really depends on where the value is. This has been JD’s MO thus far. If Will linebackers are not deep, I believe Douglas would pull the trigger on that before going with a WR in a deep WR class. 

I see where you’re coming from, but imo, JD is looking to build a well-rounded team. Going all offense isn’t that. I suspect we’ll see a defensive player in the first three picks based on the value of players in later rounds. I don’t see that as a failure, just intelligent drafting. 

but who knows, he may sh*t the bed and draft a MLB at 23. It is, after all, the Jets.

I agree with the bolded.  I don't expect him to draft offense with the first 4 picks.  But IMO he should and it's short sighted not to.

I think there are a few reasons why.

1) The talent on the defense already far exceeds the talent on offense.  Want balance then draft offense

2) This is an offensive league.  It's getting harder and harder to play defense.  Particularly in the regular season, strong offenses is what wins games.  

Great thread. It exactly illustrates why many of us favored trading down.

You bring in an exciting new QB like Wilson. But you don’t have the roster that can make him a success.

So he gets his brains beaten in and never reaches his potential. At least that’s the risk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, Skeptable said:

If you draft a QB at 2, and then back that pick up in Mac-Like fashion, the seat warmer gets turned on. 

If the D is just meh, big deal, team ain't going anywhere,  anyway and there will just be a fresh new batch of "cNt miss" DEs and Corners. No harm, no foul.

Draft a QB at 2, fail to build around him, put him behind a sh*t line, and you risk another Darnold, Burrow, Carr, situation where the kid they tied themselves to gets hurt, broken, or shell-shocked. 

Lather rinse repeat.

I say again, draft a QB at 2, all other considerations aside from helping that player are pointless, and drafting a ******* corner or D lineman is a fast track to failure and unemployment.

I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 4/12/2021 at 10:28 AM, FidelioJet said:

There will be.   The worst part of it though, it will tell me that JD is in over his head and we'll be looking for a new GM in 2 years.

Yeah, because if JD drafts a pro bowl corner at 23 he should be fired.  Or if he drafts a pro bowl DE.  

Because every pick needs to go to the offense.  Just because 

We need players.  We need to become a better team, build a complete team, not just a better offense 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

We’ve been gifted a real opportunity to learn from every mistake we made with Darnold and make sure we make it right.

Id like to think Salah, LeFleur and Douglas are all in agreement for what they need, and any contingency plans incase they can’t get what they need in the draft.

Wilson needs that protection and needs the run game, I don’t want to see us wheeling out another Gore type player for 100 players or whatever.

Get the protection this year, then let’s get him some talent, if we can do both, great. No one is expecting miracles, but one guarantee is, it’s better than Gase.

• Upvote 1

Yes.  If I were the Johnsons he wouldn’t be picking 34 if takes defense at 23.  
Glad you are not the johnsons then. We have needs all over the place I would rather have jd draft the best players he can than reach for offense. Not saying if they are close we should take the defender but our biggest need at 23 if we are being honest with ourselves is corner there may not be one worth the pick there but we need a corner more than a wr or ot and definatly more than an rb. Offensive gaurd which is our weak spot on the line can be found with our second rounder or even one of the thirds pretty easy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Glad you are not the johnsons then. We have needs all over the place I would rather have jd draft the best players he can than reach for offense. Not saying if they are close we should take the defender but our biggest need at 23 if we are being honest with ourselves is corner there may not be one worth the pick there but we need a corner more than a wr or ot and definatly more than an rb. Offensive gaurd which is our weak spot on the line can be found with our second rounder or even one of the thirds pretty easy.

There are still CB’s available in FA. 
Taking anything but offense would be absurd.  

You’re not reaching at 23 for offense.  It’s not like the next 3 picks will all be defense.  One of the next two picks will almost certainly be offense after the Jets.  You take the best offensive player available and that should be an absolute no brainer!

• Upvote 1

I would have been big in to the idea of taking the BPA at #23 especially if it was a corner but on further reflection I don't think this is the best option.

In free agency Joe has given Salah plenty of pieces to work with in Lawson, Davis, joyner, Rankins and curry. We also have Mosley returning to the team and I do believe we will add a sherman or poole type after the draft.

This edge class is a lot of projections and not sure fire studs so personally I would stay away from any of them with the first 4 picks and go get a guy they really want next year in free agency or using our draft capital.

At #23 or #34 we have to add a starter on the offensive line, a player who's a guaranteed upgrade over what we have, preferably a guard or center.

With the other pick not used on a line man at #23 or #34 we get a playmaker, someone wilson can rely on, one of the tier two recievers like the Moore's, Marshall jnr, toney or a running back in harris or Javonte williams but personally I'd plump for a reciever.

At #66 and #86 we can be a bit more flexible, I'd like a project tackel who we can take over from fant in 2022 and possibly play swing this year and with the other pick I'd be looking for a corner or linebacker the two positions we are weakest at in terms of debt on the roster.

In the perfect situation id like to trade back from #34 if there are a few playmakers left on the board that joe likes something similar with Mims last year and pick up an extra 4th rounder and then package that 4th with one of our 5th rounders to move back into the 3rd to get as many talented players as possible at our weakest positions.

Although I am usually of the mind that we want balance in the draft, this year is one of those years where it is maybe not a good idea. We’ve just scraped out the bottom of the barrel of bad drafts and poor trades. We’ve got the #2 pick and are hell bent on finding a FQB (again). Since there is no way we put all the pieces in place with such a hollowed out roster we must think multi-year. In this case we have one job: protect and develop the FQB. Develop is a coaching issue and we all seem pretty pleased with that advancement. Protect has 1/5 known-good linemen (when he’s on the field) and one young unknown (Cameron who?). While weaponezzzz do help in development protection is far behind. I hope JD protects the QB as highest priority. I know this might be addressed in later rounds, but it sure is easier to whiff on those picks than the earlier rounds. So if its me (be glad it isn’t) I go OL or TE (yeah, these guys block too) unless the pick is a reach and would likely have been available later anyhow. Only after the FQB protection and development are secured, do I decide which positions are this year’s part of the rebuild and which are next year’s part of the rebuild.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Offensive gaurd which is our weak spot on the line can be found with our second rounder or even one of the thirds pretty easy.

Easy?Yeah, sure. But that's how you wind up with the Brian Winters,  Matt Slausons, and Chuma Edogas of the world.

Try to get a Nelson. Or at least a Scherff... 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  If I were the Johnsons he wouldn’t be picking 34 if takes defense at 23.  

Which is the wrong way of looking at the draft.

Theres a reason more than a few mocks have us taking a corner at 23 and still drafting help to the offense after that pick.  The idea that the 23rd has to be offense is kind of funny actually 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Easy?Yeah, sure. But that's how you wind up with the Brian Winters,  Matt Slausons, and Chuma Edogas of the world.

Youre not counting on getting a Nelson or Scherff outside of the top 10, thats not a reason to feel a need to draft OL at 23.  

After Teven Jenkins, who I would grab but who probably wont be available at 23 the next highest ranked OL is Jalen Mayfield who's predicted to go in the 34 range.  Its well and good to want OL at 23 but thats not the way the board is looking right now.  If theres a top CB sitting at 23 and a Teven Jenkins is already gone who do you think we're picking?  Landon Dickerson, C, Liam Eichenberg, OT, Spencer Brown, OT, Sam Cosmi, OT or a Dan Moore, OT will all be available in the 2nd.  Its not like the talent falls off after 23.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Which is the wrong way of looking at the draft.

Theres a reason more than a few mocks have us taking a corner at 23 and still drafting help to the offense after that pick.  The idea that the 23rd has to be offense is kind of funny actually 

It’s a dogmatic approach that forgoes situational awareness.  
the only thing that matters,I mean this literally, is developing Zach Wilson.  
Nothing else is relevant.  
Ive said this many time and stand by it.  Before using any premium resource (high draft picks or large free agency contract) JD should ask himself one question and one questions only (for the next two years)

“Is this the best thing we can do to help Zach Wilson”

If the answer is no, then don’t do it!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre not counting on getting a Nelson or Scherff outside of the top 10, thats not a reason to feel a need to draft OL at 23.  

After Teven Jenkins, who I would grab but who probably wont be available at 23 the next highest ranked OL is Jalen Mayfield who's predicted to go in the 34 range.  Its well and good to want OL at 23 but thats not the way the board is looking right now.  If theres a top CB sitting at 23 and a Teven Jenkins is already gone who do you think we're picking?  Landon Dickerson, C, Liam Eichenberg, OT, Spencer Brown, OT, Sam Cosmi, OT or a Dan Moore, OT will all be available in the 2nd.  Its not like the talent falls off after 23.

****. The. Defense.

They're good enough to compete.

QB Is EVERYTHING in today's NFL.

• Upvote 1

Nelson at the time was thought to be a reach he proved everyone wrong sherff played left tackle in college and had to settle at guard in the nfl. How many playoff games has either helped their teams get to? I am not saying guard isn't an important position it is but it is much easier to find a serviceable guard in the later rounds than a serviceable cb or edge rusher.