Jump to content

Joe Douglas Zooming w/Reporters Today at 2:00


Recommended Posts

Just now, K_O_Brien said:

Find someone who smiles at you, the way Joe Douglas smiles when anyone mentions the name Zach Wilson. 

It's interesting how high we seem to be on him. I have more confidence in this FO calling the shots than previous regimes.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just imagine the stupidity level of some of the questions. "Joe, does this mean you are committed to drafting a QB with the second pick of the draft?" "Joe, are you done fixing the offensive

What part of Joe Thuney was never coming here once KC got involved do some people not understand?

this is so dumb...so they traded darnold but they are not locked in on a QB with their pick? maybe they should call the bears and see if QB1 Dalton is available? I know no one ever says anything in th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Yikes, Adam Gase was useful for something I guess.

This

To think Gase was actually the hero we needed but didn’t know 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Find someone who smiles at you, the way Joe Douglas smiles when anyone mentions the name Zach Wilson. 

One thing we know about Douglas is that he loves prospects who eat, sleep and dream football. When you read about Wilson, that pretty much describes who he is. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, football guy said:

My point is not that I know for sure whether the Jets have a higher grade on him, but that they believe Wilson is the best fit for their team. They know Lawrence is headed to JAX. 

Personally, I've always liked Wilson best. I think Lawrence is overrated-no BS

That said, if the Jets had the 1st pick, would they pass on Lawrence for Wilson? That's the big question. It is sort of also easy to say you like Wilson more when you know Lawrence is headed to JAX. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, section314 said:

Cliff Notes version......JD only had 2 guys rated higher than Sam. TL and the mysterious #2 pick.

Well obviously if Jets had later pick that means they won more games. Which would mean Darnold played well and Gase would also still be coach.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zuniga, Clark, and a side of Morgan as a capable QB2 are going to make this post age poorly.

Perine, we're in lock step agreement on.  Bad pick.  Hopefully this coaching staff, which makes a lot of RB's look good, get some use out of him. 

From your keyboard to God's ears, man.

I've been dying for my posts to look poorly for the past several years, and for our draftees to look good.  Nothing would make me happier.

If Cam Clark is starting at OG and Zuniga is sacking the QB then I'd be thrilled!

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm done with the savior talk lol. Zach Wilson will fail if the Jets don't build around him. It's that simple. 

It's always been that way, some people (including previous jets gms never figured it out though)

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

The only 2 OL that were worth splurging on were Thuney and Linsley.  That's it, end of list.  And Thuney got good money from KC.  Why would he come here even for a good bit more money?  Money is the top factor for all/most FA's but it isn't the ONLY factor.  

Quality OL just don't hit free agency often.  Even in a year where the cap went down that was the case.

Then trade for one.  It's been the worst position group on the team for two years (and that's saying something on this team!)

Let's see our GM do GM stuff and get creative with acquiring talent rather than acquiring picks and shipping off talent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I think it's pretty safe to say it's Wilson.

Still, that answer could also just be indicative of Douglas saying Young sees things from that perspective, and from that perspective, we've done nothing but show tremendous interest.

I don't think he'd say, "we're still evaluating," which is also not true, and then say, "Steve Young is onto something when he says this is what we're doing."

 

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It also suggests there's a wide gulf between Wilson and the other QB's on Douglas' board.  

I don't get it, but whatever.  QBASE likes him, so that's something.  

The only other way to interpret what Douglas is saying is "we're 99% likely taking Wilson, but if SF somehow comes up with a way to make it worth our while to slide back a spot and take the next QB on our list, we'll do that"

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Color me surprised but how blunt Douglas is being about the situation. It's safe to say we're locked into a QB at 2? Steve Young is really plugged into BYU when it was brought up how he said we're committed to Sam?

This is either a huge smokescreen or JD took truth serum this morning

image.thumb.png.48fc6dfebece4134a5fd25947c028800.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

The only 2 OL that were worth splurging on were Thuney and Linsley.  That's it, end of list.  And Thuney got good money from KC.  Why would he come here even for a good bit more money?  Money is the top factor for all/most FA's but it isn't the ONLY factor.  

Quality OL just don't hit free agency often.  Even in a year where the cap went down that was the case.

You had me until the bolded statement. Quality OL hits FA every year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

I think you'll find that a competent QB is going to make an enormous difference in how the OL looks.  The OL looked fine with Joe Flacco under center.

Mekhi Becton was a "statement pick" to begin Joe Douglas' tenure, and one that addressed the biggest issue on the line.  I agree that we need at least one IOL upgrade.  But QB play has been the # 1 problem for this franchise for over a decade and now Douglas is going to look to address that with a QB of his own.  Once that happens, we're going to forget very quickly that the OL was ever an issue.

In 10 games the past three years when Darnold wasn't playing those backup QBs are 0-10.  Winless.  Sam was far, far from great but he won 9 games under Adam which qualifies as a minor miracle.  The McCowns and Flaccos never recorded a single W post-2017.

The OLine and having zero playmakers are key reasons this offense has been held back for years.  Defenses don't roll coverage towards any Jets WR.  Defenses never needed to load the box even after the Jets biggest "weaponz" splurge to stop Le'Veon Bell.

If we want to get a Ferrari at #2 this year then let's not drive it off the lot and immediately take it off-roading on some rocky trail.  It just won't look like a good car.  JD needs to do everything in his power to upgrade the NFL's 29th ranked OL before putting a shiny new toy behind it again.

 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Perine looked like all all-star against our D in the preseason scrimmage game.  Too bad we don't play ourselves.

The Jets have been playing with themselves for years.

We've been paying to watch.

What the hell does that say about us? lol

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

I think you'll find that a competent QB is going to make an enormous difference in how the OL looks.  The OL looked fine with Joe Flacco under center.

Mekhi Becton was a "statement pick" to begin Joe Douglas' tenure, and one that addressed the biggest issue on the line.  I agree that we need at least one IOL upgrade.  But QB play has been the # 1 problem for this franchise for over a decade and now Douglas is going to look to address that with a QB of his own.  Once that happens, we're going to forget very quickly that the OL was ever an issue.

I'd say that we probably need two new guards. 

This is one reason why I would love to take Creed Humphrey (C) at 23, if available. You take Humphrey to play center, you move McGovern to guard, and then you draft one more guard (possibly) at 34. And hopefully, Clark turns into a useful rotation player down the road. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

That said, if the Jets had the 1st pick, would they pass on Lawrence for Wilson? That's the big question. It is sort of also easy to say you like Wilson more when you know Lawrence is headed to JAX. 

Yeah, I'm gonna need some waders because the BS is getting deeper and deeper hearing the Jets would still take Wilson if they had the #1 overall pick. It's hard enough to talk myself into liking the Zach Wilson pick, let alone swallowing this Zach is the top quarterback in the draft nonsense. Too bad the Jaguars don't have a GM rating Wilson higher than Trevor Lawrence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'd say that we probably need two new guards. 

This is one reason why I would love to take Creed Humphrey (C) at 23, if available. You take Humphrey to play center, you move McGovern to guard, and then you draft one more guard (possibly) at 34. And hopefully, Clark turns into a useful rotation player down the road. 

Alijah Vera-Tucker would be a dream at #23.  Short of that we're looking at a Teven Jenkins or Creed Humphrey I think.  But hold onto your shorts if a Top 20 defender slips to #23 and Saleh whispers in JD's ear, "Man, that Greg Newsome would be a CB1 from the start of camp," and the Jets put off OLine.... again.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You had me until the bolded statement. Quality OL hits FA every year.

VERY few and the ones that do 25 teams want them.

a ton of JAGS hit FA every year and that is who the jets sign

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Alijah Vera-Tucker would be a dream at #23.  Short of that we're looking at a Teven Jenkins or Creed Humphrey I think.  But hold onto your shorts if a Top 20 defender slips to #23 and Saleh whispers in JD's ear, "Man, that Greg Newsome would be a CB1 from the start of camp," and the Jets put off OLine.... again.

I definitely get the fear, but I think this time might be different (I'm gullible, I know). 

Based on what Douglas said today and what @football guy wrote about the Jets looking for OL, I expect OL at 23, unless we trade up for a playmaker. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

VERY few and the ones that do 25 teams want them.

a ton of JAGS hit FA every year and that is who the jets sign

Add to the mix that they hit FA because they've become very expensive commodities before those 25 teams help raise their asking price

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

That said, if the Jets had the 1st pick, would they pass on Lawrence for Wilson? That's the big question. It is sort of also easy to say you like Wilson more when you know Lawrence is headed to JAX. 

Agreed, I don't have the answer to that. Just saying people get the sense he'll name will be at the top... whether that's for optics or based on real grades time will tell

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I definitely get the fear, but I think this time might be different (I'm gullible, I know). 

Based on what Douglas said today and what @football guy wrote about the Jets looking for OL, I expect OL at 23, unless we trade up for a playmaker. 

yet it's easy to see that happening with the thinking that they would take an OL in the 2nd round.  while i do think douglas would love to trade back from 23, there's likely to be an OL he likes enough to take there and sometimes not overthinking things is the best way to go.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Then trade for one.  It's been the worst position group on the team for two years (and that's saying something on this team!)

Let's see our GM do GM stuff and get creative with acquiring talent rather than acquiring picks and shipping off talent.

They’re probably going to add a second first round pick to the OL this year. FA didn’t work out. Thuney was never coming here after KC called and that was that. Trades aren’t out of the question at all - all the way they to opening day. Teams will be making tough cuts after a deep OL draft, and players will be available for late future picks as they look to get something rather than nothing. 
 
It’s five months until the season starts. There’ll be an OL. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Agreed, I don't have the answer to that. Just saying people get the sense he'll name will be at the top... whether that's for optics or based on real grades time will tell

He's number 1 on my list. But I am not sure I see busts in the others either. I really think this could be a NFL defining draft for the next decade of the NFL. Could be the next 1983 draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

In 10 games the past three years when Darnold wasn't playing those backup QBs are 0-10.  Winless.  Sam was far, far from great but he won 9 games under Adam which qualifies as a minor miracle.  The McCowns and Flaccos never recorded a single W post-2017.

 

 

So  Darnold playing better than 2 washed-up, almost-40 year old back-up QB's is some measuring stick of Darnold being a quality QB?

Darnold "saw ghosts" here, and he will see ghosts in Carolina as well...

I admire JD...

It takes having a real pair to know when to cut your losses and take a stand...

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Lawrence is indeed over-rated.

Nice prospect? Sure. But all this talk of a generational talent who is the best QB to come out for 30 years...it's way over the top.

I think he's being set up to underperform honestly. I don't think Urban Meyer is going to take the league by storm, and I think they have a solid but unspectacular roster. Same feeling about the front office and coaching staff. I went into the offseason feeling like Jacksonville was going to be such a more attractive job than ours, and I feel like they've swung-and-missed at every stop. Even if Urban is successful, not a fan of the GM, hate the ownership structure (kid and friend having final say on personnel???). 

I think he'll be good, but more in the Ryan-Mayfield-Tannehill tier of good. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

He's number 1 on my list. But I am not sure I see busts in the others either. I really think this could be a NFL defining draft for the next decade of the NFL. Could be the next 1983 draft.

I absolutely do. Hell, Wilson can very well bust if the Jets don't develop him properly, and all of these guys are in the same boat. 

I think Trevor Lawrence has the highest floor, but I think Jacksonville is not going to make him into the star many expect him to be. I hope the Jets do right and there's reason to be optimistic with the picks and coaching staff, but time will tell. I think SF will set up whatever QB they select to be "successful"... how much is the question (will they be like Baker Mayfield and execute within the offense, or will they select a QB who transcends the offense). Where the others land will dictate their level of success in the NFL. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Possibly/probably.... but OL is the one place where no expense should be spared.  When you do well fiscally as Joe has, saving some money, getting the Cap right, etc. it lets you do something like splurge for an insurance policy.  If this organization ruins two Top 3 QBs in a row it will prove once and for all how cursed the organization is.  We threw what, $86M at CJ Mosley, $45M at Carl Lawson this year???  JD should not only be looking to the Draft for OL but should be on the phone with other NFL teams offering picks as high as #34 to get an elite RT or OG.  JMHO.  The repair job Carolina has to do with Darnold is due to the Jets shell-shocking him for years, making him run for his life in the hopes of finding an open Braxton Berrios or Josh Malone streaking down the field.  That's not how you develop good habits in a QB.

You're on it today!

Not only did Sam not get better he regressed...and I'm sorry but that's on the organization - coaching staff and talent they put around him.  Still boggles my mind how they messed that up so badly.

So far JD hasn't done a whole lot to make this offense better.  Let's see him put his money where his mouth is now..

Yes, trade for a liniment and then draft them early and often.  Let the defense fend for itself for a couple of years and give Wilson every opportunity to become a true FQB.  If he does that - this team will be good for 15 years. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He's number 1 on my list. But I am not sure I see busts in the others either. I really think this could be a NFL defining draft for the next decade of the NFL. Could be the next 1983 draft.

I seem to recall this level of hype in 2018. What if, just like that year, the Jags say **** it and take Wilson? I was looking forward to my birthday bro back then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...