Jump to content

Joe Douglas Zooming w/Reporters Today at 2:00


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

VERY few and the ones that do 25 teams want them.

a ton of JAGS hit FA every year and that is who the jets sign

I don't know about that. There are at least 4-5 every year getting sizable contacts based on prior play - I'm not even counting Fant here because I still can't believe he got $9MM/yr - and most of the time they just go to the highest bidder.

There aren't a zillion of them because there are only so many in the league in the first place, but not everyone's looking at all times. 25 teams didn't make offers for any (let alone each) of these guys:

2021:

  1. Trent Williams
  2. Thuney
  3. Linsley
  4. Zeitler

2020:

  1. Glasgow
  2. Conklin
  3. Bulaga
  4. McGovern (we'll see if early 2020 was covid+new team induced)

2019:

  1. Trent Brown
  2. J.James
  3. Morse
  4. Saffold
  5. Paradis

2018:

  1. Norwell
  2. Solder
  3. Richburg
  4. Pugh
  5. Jensen
  6. Pouncey

This isn't even including other legit starters even if they're not higher-end, or guys who ultimately may have re-signed with their prior teams. Don't turn into Bitonti, talking of everyone who isn't a future HOFer as though they belonged on the practice squad. Green Bay was fine with Ricky Wagner, Washington with Schweitzer, etc. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just imagine the stupidity level of some of the questions. "Joe, does this mean you are committed to drafting a QB with the second pick of the draft?" "Joe, are you done fixing the offensive

What part of Joe Thuney was never coming here once KC got involved do some people not understand?

this is so dumb...so they traded darnold but they are not locked in on a QB with their pick? maybe they should call the bears and see if QB1 Dalton is available? I know no one ever says anything in th

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

So  Darnold playing better than 2 washed-up, almost-40 year old back-up QB's is some measuring stick of Darnold being a quality QB?

Darnold "saw ghosts" here, and he will see ghosts in Carolina as well...

I admire JD...

It takes having a real pair to know when to cut your losses and take a stand...

Nope, this was more a comment about the OLine than the QB.  The fact that Darnold could only win 9 games behind that line under Gase and that the other QBs went 0-7 behind that OLine, with that coach and with those WRs simply shows that no QB was going to be successful here.  Impossible situation for all of them.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slats said:

I seem to recall this level of hype in 2018. What if, just like that year, the Jags say **** it and take Wilson? I was looking forward to my birthday bro back then. 

Would suck but Meyer said basically they were taking Lawrence. When we took Darnold I honestly thought his floor was Top 15 QB. I feel the same or more for Wilson but I am going to definitely be more wait and see

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Then trade for one.  It's been the worst position group on the team for two years (and that's saying something on this team!)

Let's see our GM do GM stuff and get creative with acquiring talent rather than acquiring picks and shipping off talent.

Again, who would that be?  I don't think the Saints would just give Ryan Ramczyk away despite their cap crisis.  That's the only one I can think of. 

The only guys you can trade for on the OL are cap casualties, guys who disappointed for their current teams and depth guys.  Remember Osemele?  Yeah, those types.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You had me until the bolded statement. Quality OL hits FA every year.

The best FA OL in 2019 was Ja'Wuan James.

Sure, Trent Brown hit free agency that offseason as well.  He's started 16 of 32 games for the Raiders since then.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know about that. There are at least 4-5 every year getting sizable contacts based on prior play - I'm not even counting Fant here because I still can't believe he got $9MM/yr - and most of the time they just go to the highest bidder.

There aren't a zillion of them because there are only so many in the league in the first place, but not everyone's looking at all times. 25 teams didn't make offers for any (let alone each) of these guys:

2021:

  1. Trent Williams
  2. Thuney
  3. Linsley
  4. Zeitler

2020:

  1. Glasgow
  2. Conklin
  3. Bulaga
  4. McGovern (we'll see if early 2020 was covid+new team induced)

2019:

  1. Trent Brown
  2. J.James
  3. Morse
  4. Saffold
  5. Paradis

2018:

  1. Norwell
  2. Solder
  3. Richburg
  4. Pugh
  5. Jensen
  6. Pouncey

This isn't even including other legit starters even if they're not higher-end, or guys who ultimately may have re-signed with their prior teams. Don't turn into Bitonti, talking of everyone who isn't a future HOFer as though they belonged on the practice squad. Green Bay was fine with Ricky Wagner, Washington with Schweitzer, etc. 

And the jets got.....one of those guys and a good number of them were big disappointments to the teams they went to.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The best FA OL in 2019 was Ja'Wuan James.

Sure, Trent Brown hit free agency that offseason as well.  He's started 16 of 32 games for the Raiders since then.  

how disappointed were people here when none of the good FA OL signed with the jets?  that's why the jets should draft them early and often, and of course, besides the reason of protecting zach wilson.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

how disappointed were people here when none of the good FA OL signed with the jets?  that's why the jets should draft them early and often, and of course, besides the reason of protecting zach wilson.

 

Right.  Even in the offseasons where 1-2 nice names shake loose, there are dozens of other teams out there that express interest.  When its a sellers market like that and there are very good destinations available, no quality OL is going to choose to come here.  

I was one of those deeply disappointed people when we didn't get Corey Linsley.  But such is life for the Jets.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Becton, Mims, and Hall are all virtual locks to be hits in my mind.

Just need at least one, maybe 2 of those mid-round guys to be useful and that's a solid draft class.  I think Ashtyn Davis will be a solid starter, Zuniga will be a nice situational pass rusher, and Clark will at least be a good depth OL. 

Meanwhile, all Morgan has to do to be a good pick is win the QB2 job.  A cheap QB2 to go with a cheap QB1 is a very good situation to be in.

I'm optimistic too, but I've also learned from this team.... "Show me, don't tell me."  If we thought Zuniga as a 3rd round pick was going to be a starting DE I don't think JD would have shelled out in FA for both Lawson and Vinny Curry even in a transition to the 4-3.  Clark needs to be better than just depth on the OL.  When you take positions like OG in Round 4 you're expecting them to become starters IMO.

This is a huge year for Ashtyn Davis.  He was drafted almost specifically as a hedge against the futures of Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye on this roster.  With Adams gone and Maye on a FT Davis is actually one of most crucial roster pieces if the Jets find themselves unable to sign Maye longterm by July.  The last thing we want is TWO needs at Safety heading into 2022.

Agree that Becton, Mims and Hall look like clear longterm starters.  Knock on wood!  They were the perfect picks in terms of need, value and the spots they were taken.  It's Round 3 and 4, those 5 players that will really determine if the 2021 Draft was good, great, or just meh.  At least ONE of Davis, Zuniga, Clark needs to become a full-time starter for it to be considered good IMO.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm optimistic too, but I've also learned from this team.... "Show me, don't tell me."  If we thought Zuniga as a 3rd round pick was going to be a starting DE I don't think JD would have shelled out in FA both Lawson and Vinny Curry.  Clark needs to be better than just depth on the OL.  When you take positions like OG in Round 4 you're expecting them to become starters IMO.

This is a huge year for Ashtyn Davis.  He was drafted almost specifically as a hedge against the futures of Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye on this roster.  With Adams gone and Maye on a FT Davis is actually one of most crucial roster pieces if the Jets find themselves unable to sign Maye longterm by July.  The last thing we want is TWO needs at Safety heading into 2022.

Agree that Becton, Mims and Hall look like clear longterm starters.  Knock on wood!  They were the perfect picks in terms of need, value and the spots they were taken.  It's Round 3 and 4, those 5 players that will really determine if the 2021 Draft was good, great, or just meh.  At least ONE of Davis, Zuniga, Clark need to become a full-time starter for it to be considered good IMO.

 

 

We just watched a Super Bowl where the Bucs flooded the field with pass rushers.  You can never have enough.  The signings of Lawson and Curry don't say anything to me about Zuniga.  Curry really isn't much of anything but a locker room guy at this point anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And the jets got.....one of those guys and a good number of them were big disappointments to the teams they went to.

If you were a FA and saw how few years Jets players got after the guaranteed money ran out, would you sign here? IMO that's part of players following the money. The dollars per year and the guaranteed dollars might be the same, but if you get to play out a 3rd (or 4th) year from a non-Jets team, you've made a whole lot more for yourself than getting cut after the guarantees are over, with your reputation in shambles.

What's lost on a one-sided take is how many guys who didn't change teams who also were disappointments for their teams, and got replaced by someone else. You can't just look at this in a vacuum, as though everyone else who was good (before these guys reached FA) remained good, and the only ones who got worse were a few of these guys. That's not reality.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Right.  Even in the offseasons where 1-2 nice names shake loose, there are dozens of other teams out there that express interest.  When its a sellers market like that and there are very good destinations available, no quality OL is going to choose to come here.  

I was one of those deeply disappointed people when we didn't get Corey Linsley.  But such is life for the Jets.  

it seems like pure common sense, you take a qb high in the first round, you'd want to support that investment and build an offense.  but how many times do teams (like the jets) turn to defense and leave the qb hanging?  douglas really started the rebuild on offense last year with mims and bechton, and if he goes OL at 23 that would be 4 new starters on offense in the top 2 rounds the past 2 yrs before the 2nd round this year.  plus you try to groom the clarks in the later rounds so maybe one or two contribute or start eventually.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

👀

Her father may have misguided allegiances like the rest of us, maybe even a misaligned chromosome or two. However, as long as she isn't a stripper he did enough as a father and for that she should thank him (even if he passed on the Jets gene to her).

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Right.  Even in the offseasons where 1-2 nice names shake loose, there are dozens of other teams out there that express interest.  When its a sellers market like that and there are very good destinations available, no quality OL is going to choose to come here.  

I was one of those deeply disappointed people when we didn't get Corey Linsley.  But such is life for the Jets.  

I'm not sorry we didn't get Linsley. He's exactly the kind of overreach that almost always disappoints. There seem to be some terrific Center prospects in this class. We should have pick of the litter if we want. Humphrey = Mangold Jr?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

 

 

It's like Back to the Future with a first-time HC from the defensive side of the ball and a rookie QB!

What could go wrong?!?!? lol

1371483825000-wnyj-1306171146_16_9.jpg.a67cd88bd419e6bdd8afdd0c4657d476.jpg

I dislike Sanchez as a football player but he's the best QB we've ever drafted out of USC.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, football guy said:

I absolutely do. Hell, Wilson can very well bust if the Jets don't develop him properly, and all of these guys are in the same boat. 

I think Trevor Lawrence has the highest floor, but I think Jacksonville is not going to make him into the star many expect him to be. I hope the Jets do right and there's reason to be optimistic with the picks and coaching staff, but time will tell. I think SF will set up whatever QB they select to be "successful"... how much is the question (will they be like Baker Mayfield and execute within the offense, or will they select a QB who transcends the offense). Where the others land will dictate their level of success in the NFL. 

Yes, that’s why Mac Jones will initially look the best. He had the most “professional” upbringing last year as far as an offense, and Sam Fran will protect him with easy and nice passing plays while he gets comfortable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a pretty decent interview, but aside from kim jones, the media is a group of morons. They asked question same way 10 times. He is 100 pct taking Wilson, he all but said it. He also clearly thinks alot of Sam as a person, But his job is to win games, and clearly believes Wilson gives the jets a better chance to win. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Becton, Mims, and Hall are all virtual locks to be hits in my mind.

Just need at least one, maybe 2 of those mid-round guys to be useful and that's a solid draft class.  I think Ashtyn Davis will be a solid starter, Zuniga will be a nice situational pass rusher, and Clark will at least be a good depth OL. 

Meanwhile, all Morgan has to do to be a good pick is win the QB2 job.  A cheap QB2 to go with a cheap QB1 is a very good situation to be in.

Do you really believe the jets are gonna go with a rookie qb, and a qb who has never taken an nfl regular game snap as his back-up?... Thats pure stupidity, what does Morgan add to the qb room? He does not know the offense, the nfl, and is as ‘ green’ as the rookie they are drafting. That said, they will sign veteran right before or after draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, riggy001 said:

Do you really believe the jets are gonna go with a rookie qb, and a qb who has never taken an nfl regular game snap as his back-up?... Thats pure stupidity, what does Morgan add to the qb room? He does not know the offense, the nfl, and is as ‘ green’ as the rookie they are drafting. That said, they will sign veteran right before or after draft. 

Morgan can still win the QB2 job even if the Jets sign a veteran.  My hopes for Morgan are not mutually exclusive with that.  I support signing Nick Mullens.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Morgan can still win the QB2 job even if the Jets sign a veteran.  My hopes for Morgan are not mutually exclusive with that.  I support signing Nick Mullens.  

I hear ya, but mullens is not coming to be third string qb, he can stay in sf, if he wanted that...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, choon328 said:

There are a lot of sore vaginas in this thread. Lube up ladies, the ride just started. 

Yeah, we can take this down a notch. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

I hear ya, but mullens is not coming to be third string qb, he can stay in sf, if he wanted that...

He's currently a free agent and injured, so he likely doesn't have many options.  Much like Flacco last year.  His lack Week 1 availability turned a lot of teams away.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Really? It's obviously a joke and much worse gets said around here

We’re about to draft a prepubescent vagina at 2, so emotions are running high.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, football guy said:

I think he's being set up to underperform honestly. I don't think Urban Meyer is going to take the league by storm, and I think they have a solid but unspectacular roster. Same feeling about the front office and coaching staff. I went into the offseason feeling like Jacksonville was going to be such a more attractive job than ours, and I feel like they've swung-and-missed at every stop. Even if Urban is successful, not a fan of the GM, hate the ownership structure (kid and friend having final say on personnel???). 

I think he'll be good, but more in the Ryan-Mayfield-Tannehill tier of good. 

I think what helps is Lawrence has a safe floor. Like, he'll probably range from being a top 5-10 QB most years.

If he becomes Matt Ryan, that's an awesome pick. Matt Ryan gets underrated I feel. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Wait guys i am confused. What is steve young tunes into? I missed that....

Young Played for BYU.

How many BYU QB's have won the Super Bowl.  The Answer 2.   Steve Young and Jim McMahon (I know defense wins championships) Yadda yadda yadda.

How many USC quarterbacks have started and won the Super Bowl.  Answer Zero.

How Many Ohio State quarterbacks have started and won the Super Bowl.  Answer Zero.  If history says anything Fields will not be the 2 pick.

The Jets might finally be on the right track.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

So you want him to announce the pick on a Zoom call three weeks before the draft?

Considering the $$ the NFL gets from networks to broadcast the draft they’d probably take the #2 pick away from the Jets for announcing the pick now

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

 

The only other way to interpret what Douglas is saying is "we're 99% likely taking Wilson, but if SF somehow comes up with a way to make it worth our while to slide back a spot and take the next QB on our list, we'll do that"

Exactly

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Young Played for BYU.

How many BYU QB's have won the Super Bowl.  The Answer 2.   Steve Young and Jim McMahon (I know defense wins championships) Yadda yadda yadda.

How many USC quarterbacks have started and won the Super Bowl.  Answer Zero.

How Many Ohio State quarterbacks have started and won the Super Bowl.  Answer Zero.  If history says anything Fields will not be the 2 pick.

The Jets might finally be on the right track.

Wlson gets bashed for playing weaker colleges, but he ran a complex offense that required audibles, protection calls, and NFL concepts. The Fields supporters never allow that their offense is a red flag for QBs because they do none of that. I think Fields will be good in the NFL but he is very risky and there could be some traction to Ohio State not really developing a QB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...