Jump to content

Joe Douglas Zooming w/Reporters Today at 2:00


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Becton, Mims, and Hall are all virtual locks to be hits in my mind.

Just need at least one, maybe 2 of those mid-round guys to be useful and that's a solid draft class.  I think Ashtyn Davis will be a solid starter, Zuniga will be a nice situational pass rusher, and Clark will at least be a good depth OL. 

Meanwhile, all Morgan has to do to be a good pick is win the QB2 job.  A cheap QB2 to go with a cheap QB1 is a very good situation to be in.

just to bolster your point... Coming in, I had heard that Saleh was extremely excited to have ashtyn davis here... Very high on the player. 

 

So theres that. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just imagine the stupidity level of some of the questions. "Joe, does this mean you are committed to drafting a QB with the second pick of the draft?" "Joe, are you done fixing the offensive

What part of Joe Thuney was never coming here once KC got involved do some people not understand?

this is so dumb...so they traded darnold but they are not locked in on a QB with their pick? maybe they should call the bears and see if QB1 Dalton is available? I know no one ever says anything in th

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

 

i saw this comment about the whole qb controversy thing.  i think the whole idea of one being the cause of the trade is a bit lame.  does this mean they're going to anoint wilson as the hare apparent?  i'd rather see a nice qb duel between wilson. morgan and even white.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Love this answer; JD is a good man!

It made good business sense as well...... I don’t like it for Sam BUT the fact that If we picked. 7, Sam would still be here.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

He added, "because if we were picking later, it would be because the QB sucked less.  But, here we are."

I honestly don’t know what to make of the GM openly stating that drafting a quart back was influenced by his draft position … where was his head at when they won the two meaningless games last year?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I honestly don’t know what to make of the GM openly stating that drafting a quart back was influenced by his draft position … where was his head at when they won the two meaningless games last year?

Seemingly, on his chest.

image.png

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Seemingly, on his chest.

image.png

 

youd think it was time for the press to give him a little pressure. Perhaps along the lines of “do you regret winning those two games last year”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lizard King said:

youd think it was time for the press to give him a little pressure. Perhaps along the lines of “do you regret winning those two games last year”

No one is ever going to answer that question.  And, it'd also be saying the QB we got is our 2nd choice, but we still like him.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

 

Wow. It's possible that JD takes Fields. I wouldn't be upset with either Wilson or Fields.

This pick will define JD's career. He'd better get it right.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Becton, Mims, and Hall are all virtual locks to be hits in my mind.

Just need at least one, maybe 2 of those mid-round guys to be useful and that's a solid draft class.  I think Ashtyn Davis will be a solid starter, Zuniga will be a nice situational pass rusher, and Clark will at least be a good depth OL. 

Meanwhile, all Morgan has to do to be a good pick is win the QB2 job.  A cheap QB2 to go with a cheap QB1 is a very good situation to be in.

Another guy who gets it.  Great post Jetsfan80.  you understand the brilliance of what joe Douglas is doing.  I look forward to reading more of your insights on this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Green Truth said:

Young Played for BYU.

How many BYU QB's have won the Super Bowl.  The Answer 2.   Steve Young and Jim McMahon (I know defense wins championships) Yadda yadda yadda.

How many USC quarterbacks have started and won the Super Bowl.  Answer Zero.

How Many Ohio State quarterbacks have started and won the Super Bowl.  Answer Zero.  If history says anything Fields will not be the 2 pick.

The Jets might finally be on the right track.

AMEN !!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Wow. It's possible that JD takes Fields. I wouldn't be upset with either Wilson or Fields.

This pick will define JD's career. He'd better get it right.

Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

I think you'll find that a competent QB is going to make an enormous difference in how the OL looks.  The OL looked fine with Joe Flacco under center.

Mekhi Becton was a "statement pick" to begin Joe Douglas' tenure, and one that addressed the biggest issue on the line.  I agree that we need at least one IOL upgrade.  But QB play has been the # 1 problem for this franchise for over a decade and now Douglas is going to look to address that with a QB of his own.  Once that happens, we're going to forget very quickly that the OL was ever an issue.

Very true. I liked Sam as much as anyone, but he did NOT do himself any favors. Bad calls on the OL, etc.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

It made good business sense as well...... I don’t like it for Sam BUT the fact that If we picked. 7, Sam would still be here.  

I suspect your more upset about this then Sam is.  He had a party last night.  :) 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

Very true. I liked Sam as much as anyone, but he did NOT do himself any favors. Bad calls on the OL, etc.

Completely unsurprising with hindsight as a guide.  He didn't play QB in High School, and only had 27 collegiate starts.  The NFL isn't the place to be learning how to play the position, how to make presnap reads, developing your internal clock, etc.  You have to have a lot of those skills prior to getting the pros, and he just didn't.  And he didn't have freakish athleticism to lean on, either.

The Jets role in his failures was giving him a weak supporting cast.  But elite weppinzz and OL would not have fixed all those other issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rangerous said:

i saw this comment about the whole qb controversy thing.  i think the whole idea of one being the cause of the trade is a bit lame.  does this mean they're going to anoint wilson as the hare apparent?  i'd rather see a nice qb duel between wilson. morgan and even white.

LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, football guy said:

Personally, I've always liked Wilson best. I think Lawrence is overrated-no BS

I remember being ok with those wins as I too think Lawrence is over rated.

Wilson @ 2 feels significantly  less likely to work out though

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

 

 

It's like Back to the Future with a first-time HC from the defensive side of the ball and a rookie QB!

What could go wrong?!?!? lol

1371483825000-wnyj-1306171146_16_9.jpg.a67cd88bd419e6bdd8afdd0c4657d476.jpg

2 AFCCGs in 2 years. i take that.

just this time lets hope we picked the right QB and the GM doesnt let the roster go bad.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

In 10 games the past three years when Darnold wasn't playing those backup QBs are 0-10.  Winless.  Sam was far, far from great but he won 9 games under Adam which qualifies as a minor miracle.  The McCowns and Flaccos never recorded a single W post-2017.

The OLine and having zero playmakers are key reasons this offense has been held back for years.  Defenses don't roll coverage towards any Jets WR.  Defenses never needed to load the box even after the Jets biggest "weaponz" splurge to stop Le'Veon Bell.

If we want to get a Ferrari at #2 this year then let's not drive it off the lot and immediately take it off-roading on some rocky trail.  It just won't look like a good car.  JD needs to do everything in his power to upgrade the NFL's 29th ranked OL before putting a shiny new toy behind it again.

 

 

lets be fair on that 0-10 record.

3 of those games was from 39 yr old McCown. not a good QB even in his younger days..

3 of those games were Luke Falk. the guy was pulled from the practice squad and has never played in the NFL since...

4 of those games was Flacco. we all know he outplayed sam. he had 6 TDs and 3 INT. sam had 9TDs and 11 INTs in 12 games.

do you think if Flacco played all 16 games we would have won maybe 5-6 games.? 

so when you say 0-10 it really doesnt mean anything. 3 games were a 39 yr old. 3 games are from a guy who had no business being on a NFL team much less starting. and 4 came from a guy who out played sam. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TeddEY said:

No one is ever going to answer that question.  And, it'd also be saying the QB we got is our 2nd choice, but we still like him.

Doesn’t matter. Journalists don’t shy away from tough questions. Put the guy in print on it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, doitny said:

lets be fair on that 0-10 record.

3 of those games was from 39 yr old McCown. not a good QB even in his younger days..

3 of those games were Luke Falk. the guy was pulled from the practice squad and has never played in the NFL since...

4 of those games was Flacco. we all know he outplayed sam. he had 6 TDs and 3 INT. sam had 9TDs and 11 INTs in 12 games.

do you think if Flacco played all 16 games we would have won maybe 5-6 games.? 

so when you say 0-10 it really doesnt mean anything. 3 games were a 39 yr old. 3 games are from a guy who had no business being on a NFL team much less starting. and 4 came from a guy who out played sam. 

Doesn’t it make you wonder if the whole thing was a coordinated tank knowing they had this class a year out 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Doesn’t it make you wonder if the whole thing was a coordinated tank knowing they had this class a year out 

No I think Gase was really that incompetent. Funny thing is that when Gase was able to have a week to prepare and plot things out he often came up with decent scripted plays to start games. Once past that he was just completely lost. 

Our running game was the least imaginative I have ever seen. And Gase seemed to have Gore get 16,000 yards as his #1 priority. Every time Johnson, Adams or Perrine got in a game they looked way better than Gore but he refused to use them

We used almost no motion and no play action 2 of the best tools to help young QBs. Vetrerans sometimes like static offenses because they can read the defenses quicker and can see the disguises the defense us using.

Gase could not adjust at half time and refused to actually change the plan in game. A few times he actually said that the plan was perfect but that (paraphrasing) his players sucked.

I could go on for 10,000 more words but the point is that Gase was the worst HC I have ever seen. He makes Kotite look like Parcells in comparison

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lizard King said:

I honestly don’t know what to make of the GM openly stating that drafting a quart back was influenced by his draft position … where was his head at when they won the two meaningless games last year?

the GM wasn't playing the games - not sure he had much say in it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Love this answer; JD is a good man!

I believe that if Sam wasn't such a well liked, good guy that folks wouldn't even be thinking of keeping him and saying nice things about him.  

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

I believe that if Sam wasn't such a well liked, good guy that folks wouldn't even be thinking of keeping him and saying nice things about him.  

Hahahahaha lets face it----- if Sam Darnold hadn't been a NICE guy 99% of the fans' reactions including my own would have been this!!

Angry Black Friday GIF by Buyout Footage - Find & Share on GIPHY

:) 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hahahahaha lets face it----- if Sam Darnold hadn't been a NICE guy 99% of the fans' reactions including my own would have been this!!

Angry Black Friday GIF by Buyout Footage - Find & Share on GIPHY

:) 

how much better than Geno was Sam?  how about the fans reaction.

 

i am no different.  i liked Sam alot.  i wanted him to work out here.  i'd have given him another chance if we got a haul for pick 2.  it's not rational.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's weird, but it seems like everyone around the Jets has their heads on straight this time.  FO recognizing that it's time to hit the financial reset button.  Not much from the coaching staff, but it seems like Wilson is a great fit (on paper anyway) for the new system and sounds like they are on board.  The fans - we are skeptical as chit this time.  Pennington, Sanchez, Darnold - all anointed way too early by the fanbase.  

Need to do a few things to get this on track.  Got to find a way to create short fields.  Get the QB, create turnovers.  Improve the return game.  Figure out a way to run the ball.  All these things put the young QB in favorable situations.  Pennington was his most successful when Abraham was blowing up pockets and Chad Morton/Santana Moss were making big plays in the return game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...