Trading down at 23

Wit

What are the chances JD trades down and nets maybe two seconds so he can grab more o line and a cb? 

If there is an elite talent that slides down to 23 grab that person, but as far as o line goes, it’s a pretty deep draft. 

Would be very interesting if najae harris is sitting there at 23.  The biggest thing this offense is missing is a stud rb.  It would tremendously help Zach to be able to turn around and hand it to a back like that 20 times a game.

Then get oline at pick 34.  Then grab best reciever on board at beginning of 3rd round.

Then a corner at end of round 3.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Would be very interesting if najae harris is sitting there at 23.  The biggest thing this offense is missing is a stud rb.  It would tremendously help Zach to be able to turn around and hand it to a back like that 20 times a game.

Then get oline at pick 34.  Then grab best reciever on board at beginning of 3rd round.

Then a corner at end of round 3.

lol

• Thumb Down 2

I think it’s very possible we trade down at 23.  Even though we have 21 picks over the next two years I think it’s a pretty good guess that JD will trade down at least once probably more.  However I don’t want a RB at 23.  I’d rather get a OL or Corner.  It depends on who is on the board or who is slipping. Maybe Douglas pulls another’s Mims truck and moves down a few spots and still gets his guy 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jets723 said:

I think it’s very possible we trade down at 23.  Even though we have 21 picks over the next two years I think it’s a pretty good guess that JD will trade down at least once probably more 

I hope so. Many of those later picks are most likely meant for flexibility with trade ups and downs. I can’t see JD drafting that many late round players that probably won’t pan out. 

23 is an ideal place to trade down.

Most teams have an elite group of prospects on their boards that is definitely less than 23,, usually 15.   Once you are out of the that initial 15-20, the variance increases and JD could leverage the fact that a team loves someone at that spot, while he values a whole bunch of guys in the 25-40 range somewhat equally which would allow him to trade down. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, flgreen said:

Normally I'm all in about trading down.  Here I want a quality OL.  A plug and play kind of guy to play G.

This looks like a pretty good OL draft.  There will be a run on QB's early, probably WR's too.  Some good OL are going to slide to 23.  I want to get the best of them.  Maybe a good OT for the future who the Jets can kick inside to G this year.

Jets have 21 picks in the next two years, 10 of them are prime picks.  Lets get some top quality players early.  When you trade back to much we wind up at times with 3rd tier players.  

You can never have enough picks.  The more you have the better odds of hitting on players.  That said if there is a player JD wants badly at 23 he will take it.  But if he gets a good offer and feels he can get another guy he wants a few sports down I’m good with that too.  

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Why does everyone sh!t on the idea of taking a rb in the first?  I get it, more holes - but RB is a hole. Everyone complains that Sam didn’t have weapons, well Harris or Etienne would be a serious weapon for whoever is the qb.

All the mocks I am seeing do not have a rb going in the 1st round.  Jax has an up and coming star in robinson so they are set.  It is very likely the Jets could go wilson, OT and then have najae harris staring them in the face at 34.  Id pounce if I was joe D.  That kid is going to be a star.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Why does everyone sh!t on the idea of taking a rb in the first?  I get it, more holes - but RB is a hole. Everyone complains that Sam didn’t have weapons, well Harris or Etienne would be a serious weapon for whoever is the qb.

It's just a bad idea in general because it's a low value position but especially when you're running a Shanahan offense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, heymangold said:

the last two super bowl champs picked up their starting RB's off the street.. that's why.

We signed Tevin Coleman, we drafted La'Mical Perine with a 4th rounder last year, and both Josh Adams and Ty Johnson showed promise when Adam Gase didnt have his head up his ass going with Frank Gore.

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

Jenkins is Douglas’s kind of player. I think he wants to trade down from #23, but he might not if Jenkins is still there. 

I’ll be really excited if he’s the pick he’s mean but also has great technique idk if he makes it to 23 though. 

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's just a bad idea in general because it's a low value position but especially when you're running a Shanahan offense. 

Strange because before the niners pulled off the trade, no team had spent more time talking to harris then the niners:

"If there was one team talking to me, it was the Niners," said Harris, the second-ranked running back in CBS Sports prospect rankings. "I still talk to them a lot, to this day. 

9 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

the last two super bowl champs picked up their starting RB's off the street.. that's why.

We signed Tevin Coleman, we drafted La'Mical Perine with a 4th rounder last year, and both Josh Adams and Ty Johnson showed promise when Adam Gase didnt have his head up his ass going with Frank Gore.

Um, the buccaneers top 2 running backs were both high draft picks.  A high 1st and a high 2nd rounder respectively.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Agreed.  Taking a RB in the top 5 and taking a RB at 23 are very different things.  

Najee is a gamer, who is 235 pounds and can catch and who would be a fine pick at 23. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Strange because before the niners pulled off the trade, no team had spent more time talking to harris then the niners:

"If there was one team talking to me, it was the Niners," said Harris, the second-ranked running back in CBS Sports prospect rankings. "I still talk to them a lot, to this day. 

?

The niners are taking a QB at 3 and won't pick again until the 2nd round.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Um, the buccaneers top 2 running backs were both high draft picks.  A high 1st and a high 2nd rounder respectively.

Bucs didn't draft Leonard Fournette, he was pick up off the street because Ronald Jones wasn't good enough to be the lead back.

You're not helping your argument....

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

The chiefs didn’t rely on a run game, they had the best QB in the game.  TB had fournette and Jones, both high picks.
 I’m tired of guys that “show promise” on a 2-14 team.  Get me real players.  Coleman, Perine and Adams are JAGs.  
Harris or Etienne would provide a real RB that could run and catch - another dimension to help a rookie qb.