Trading down at 23

Wit

12 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The chiefs didn’t rely on a run game, they had the best QB in the game.  TB had fournette and Jones, both high picks.
 I’m tired of guys that “show promise” on a 2-14 team.  Get me real players.  Coleman, Perine and Adams are JAGs.  
Harris or Etienne would provide a real RB that could run and catch - another dimension to help a rookie qb.

Emmit Smith isn't helping Zach Wilson with this OL. It's INSANE for Jets to draft a RB without fixing the clearest flaw the team has. You don't buy flat screen TV without a house to put it in.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Would be very interesting if najae harris is sitting there at 23.  The biggest thing this offense is missing is a stud rb.  It would tremendously help Zach to be able to turn around and hand it to a back like that 20 times a game.

Then get oline at pick 34.  Then grab best reciever on board at beginning of 3rd round.

Then a corner at end of round 3.

It thinkna tremendous  help would be more than one capable OL

1 hour ago, adobolo2 said:

How far are you talking about trading down?

Out of the 1st round? If so I can't see it because I think Joe will be mindful of the 5th year option that comes with a 1st rounder.

No, but if you slide down to the end of the 1st, you can probably pick up a late 2nd and a later round pick. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Would be very interesting if najae harris is sitting there at 23.  The biggest thing this offense is missing is a stud rb.  It would tremendously help Zach to be able to turn around and hand it to a back like that 20 times a game.

Then get oline at pick 34.  Then grab best reciever on board at beginning of 3rd round.

Then a corner at end of round 3.

Before a RB can look good the OL must be at least decent. We need to build the OL 1st and can't afford to spend a 1st round pick on a RB this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

Much greater chance JD trades down rather than taking a RB @ 23. 

Trading down sounds good but you have to hit on those picks. If an OL or WR is sitting there then you take them. If a CB or edge JD *really* likes is there then you take them.

This year the last position we need is RB.

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Joe Douglas takes a RB in first round he should fired.

The biggest thing this team is missing is an OL that can block.

OL at 23 and 34.

Get used to the idea that the Jets aren't drafting OLmen at both 23 and 34, to start 2 rookie guards blocking for a rookie QB.

He'll draft one by pick 34, and I'd like to see him take one later as well. It's wholly unrealistic to expect a team to draft OL at those 2 early pick slots a year after going OL with the team's top pick.

Agree on passing on a RB in round 1, though.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Strange because before the niners pulled off the trade, no team had spent more time talking to harris then the niners:

"If there was one team talking to me, it was the Niners," said Harris, the second-ranked running back in CBS Sports prospect rankings. "I still talk to them a lot, to this day. 

The niners are a team a few pieces away not a team with 20 holes....taking a RB 23 would be dumb but not as dumb as when the Giants drafted Barkley.  The Dolphins are a team that would be smart to take a RB high and the Bills also....the Jets have one good lineman.

Would not be surprised to see JD trade down more then once.  Like last year...I think he will try and get the best compromise between positional value and need.  And will move up and down the board to target those specific type of players that represent the best of value and need. 

As long as the team is still in the rebuild phase.  IMO he will continue to approach the draft this way.  To stock pile as much talent as he can.  Until the team is talented enough to sustain perennial playoff runs. 

Some teams don't even have their allotted compliment of 7 picks each year.  JD has amassed 21 picks over these next two years.   That's three years worth of picks squeezed into just two years of drafting!   To fast track the rebuild.  Resetting the QB position once again on a cheap five year rookie contract. 

JD may not hit on all these picks.  But with 10 picks in rounds 1-3.  Jets are in very good shape to get talented starters from this group in these two drafts.  To provide the QB protection and weapons.  Shore up the D.  And the rest of the draft picks for depth and future starters.  

First time in a while I feel confident the Jets Braintrust is on a true path to success.  

"With the 2nd pick of the draft the NYJ select..."

4 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Joe Douglas takes a RB in first round he should fired.

The biggest thing this team is missing is an OL that can block.

OL at 23 and 34.

Exactly!

Drafting a quarterback and running back with the Jets first two picks is precisely how you keep demonstrating you don’t understand the problem with this football team. We keep rotating quarterbacks and running backs, guys like Darnold, Bell, etc. and expect success. Meanwhile, lesser talents like Mark Sanchez and Thomas Jones looked pretty damn good behind Mangold, Ferguson, Brandon Moore, Alan Faneca. Why is this lesson so hard to learn?

Alijah Vera-Tucker and Teven Jenkins please.

• Sympathy 1

no more trade downs!!!!!!

we need to stay and pick the 23rd and 34th best players in the draft. 

we just got a rookie QB. we need really good players to surround him with. the player at 23 and 34 will be better than you get with the trade down. you got plenty of other pics. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

No, but if you slide down to the end of the 1st, you can probably pick up a late 2nd and a later round pick. 

I was reading Brian Costello's mock he did last night and he had the jets trading with the jags down to #25 and we got two second rounds for it, #33 and #45 that's very unrealistic.

If we traded with the Packers or Chiefs for a late 1st and got a 2nd in the 60s and a 5th rounder would be about the best we could do.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

no more trade downs!!!!!!

we need to stay and pick the 23rd and 34th best players in the draft. 

we just got a rookie QB. we need really good players to surround him with. the player at 23 and 34 will be better than you get with the trade down. you got plenty of other pics. 

This is false 

8 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

https://nypost.com/2021/04/06/jets-nfl-mock-draft-trade-leads-to-haul-beyond-zach-wilson/

Brian Costello NY Post has us trading the #23 pick. 

We get a haul (hell) of a draft. 

* can someone copy and paste the article. 

thats the dumbest f'ing trade ever. no way are the jaguars stupid enough to trade up from 25 to 23 and give us both of their 2nd round picks to do it. brian costello is an obvious moron

• Upvote 1

I really believe we should trade for Ertz. It will cost us a late round pick but can fill a major area of need since Herndon is absolutely awful. 

Ertz can come here and have a Brandon Marshall like season back when we traded for him. 

• Upvote 2

I agree, no RB in the first 3 rounds, at 23 take the best player at OL, hopefully a C/G, at 34 the best Edge/CB/WR/LB/OL.

we have so many holes that it allows us the luxury of taking the best available playing with the knowledge that they can contribute or start right away and make the team better.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Get used to the idea that the Jets aren't drafting OLmen at both 23 and 34, to start 2 rookie guards blocking for a rookie QB.

He'll draft one by pick 34, and I'd like to see him take one later as well. It's wholly unrealistic to expect a team to draft OL at those 2 early pick slots a year after going OL with the team's top pick.

Agree on passing on a RB in round 1, though.

Sorry don't buy that line...  You don't start the rookie QB unless you can protect him. This team needs a Center/Guard from picks 23/34, or even from a trade back of 23, to somewhere lower in the first. Don't care how it's done, but Center/Guard is a MUST in the first 2 rounds, possibly top 3rd round at the least.

9 hours ago, Wit said:

What are the chances JD trades down and nets maybe two seconds so he can grab more o line and a cb? 

If there is an elite talent that slides down to 23 grab that person, but as far as o line goes, it’s a pretty deep draft. 

Good question. Now that we know he's content to use the 2nd pick, it will be interesting to see if he's going to choose to move down? I think he will to collect more picks in this draft.

Of course it depends on how the board falls but I could definitely
see Douglas trading down with someone like LAR.  Since they don't
have a #1 they would pay through the teeth to move up, I could see
them giving up a 2021 #2 and #4 and a 2022 #2

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

Of course it depends on how the board falls but I could definitely
see Douglas trading down with someone like LAR.  Since they don't
have a #1 they would pay through the teeth to move up, I could see
them giving up a 2021 #2 and #4 and a 2022 #2

How stupid a move would that be by the Rams?

When the Jets were unable to find starting OL help in free agency, they put themselves in a position where they absolutely need to find an upgrade in the draft. While I think Joe D really loved the idea of trading down from #2, and will keep his options open all the way down the line to add even more picks, I actually think a small trade up from #23 is more likely to secure that OL. Once he gets that player, he'll give a little sigh of relief, relax, and work the rest of the draft. 

With #2 all but locked in, his focus can now be on #23. I imagine he'll have some in principle trades set up with other teams to move in either direction depending on how the board unfolds. 

And no RBs! Lol. The Jets are just simply not in a position to take a non-premium position with a premium pick. The only non-premium position I'd consider would be TE, if only because I believe -unlike safety and RB- that the TE position is unfairly undervalued. If you're a 6'5", 260 lb. dude who can get open, catch the ball, and also block, you should be getting paid. I think guys like Gates and Gronk set the stage that Kelce and Kittle are enjoying now. And then you have Pitts who could be the highest drafted TE ever if Atlanta goes that route. I think the TE position is going to start seeing raises while the RB position remains stagnant. And so many WRs are creating a problem for them to get paid; more supply than demand. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Wit said:

What are the chances JD trades down and nets maybe two seconds so he can grab more o line and a cb? 

If there is an elite talent that slides down to 23 grab that person, but as far as o line goes, it’s a pretty deep draft. 

This is more to the community, not the OP. I realize most Jets fans are preconditioned to create misery where none exists and their IQ is dropping each and every moment they listen to ESPN or God forbid Shannon Sharpe lmao....wow. Regardless of these, JD is in charge. This is what we as Jets fans have been calling/yelling/begging for. A respected football guy who is making the decisions. Will he make all good calls? Of course not, I like our chances though based on his pedigree and track record. 

The sentiment remains regardless of results, this is the best chance the Jets have had for sustainable success in decades. I for one am excited to see what JD and his very well respected executive/coaching staff does, so yes...trade back and accumulate more capital. I want JD to have as many opportunities as possible to find players that will contribute to the long term vision we all dream of.  

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Our offensive line issues are being waaaay blown out of proportion.  Do we need a stud on the right side to balance out becton?  Yes.

But this acting like we need an offensive line consisting of 5 first and second round picks is ridiculous.

Has your head been buried in the sand for last 3 seasons?

I actually really like the combo of picks at #23 and #34 - I'd like to see us stay put, let the draft come to us, and pick up 2 really good players at those spots.  

Maybe go....

• Edge - OL
  • CB - TE
  • RB - Edge
  • LB - WR

Anything like would give you 2 really good players that would significantly upgrade your team 

Once we draft a QB, we sort of have the luxury to go best available player on the board at 23 and 34

25 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Sorry don't buy that line...  You don't start the rookie QB unless you can protect him. This team needs a Center/Guard from picks 23/34, or even from a trade back of 23, to somewhere lower in the first. Don't care how it's done, but Center/Guard is a MUST in the first 2 rounds, possibly top 3rd round at the least.

Starting two rookies on the OL are far from an automatic upgrade over starting one rookie plus the better of 4 others, let alone such an upgrade that it overshadows the upgrade over a CB corps that's even more barren than that of our OL. You'd have to not only hit on both of them, but they both have to hit immediately as rookies for that to be an instant upgrade. Never mind Douglas seems to like the idea of building each position group in tiers so they don't all hit FA at the same time in the future. 

Despite the romance over every single high draft pick being instantly awesome as a rookie,

• Becton
  • [#23 rookie]
  • McGovern
  • [#34 rookie]
  • Fant

is not a slam dunk upgrade just for the 2021 season alone over

• Becton
  • [competition winner among Lewis/GVR/Feeney/Clark/2021 day 3 pick]
  • McGovern
  • [#23 or #34 rookie]
  • Fant

Never mind the latter scenario gets a 1st round talent influx to a CB corps that badly needs 23-34 pick upgrade. Good chance in JD's mind he got a steal with Hall last year (allegedly 1st round talent who slipped due to injury as a senior); then with a high pick this year he can then put two young, round-1 CB talents on the field, and get them for 3 more seasons on their cheap rookie contracts.

--

So again, prepare yourself for the 95% chance Douglas isn't going to going to jump at any/every opportunity to put 2 rookies in to block for his rookie QB. I'd be shocked if there's even that 5% chance of it happening. Particularly not after he's gone out of his way to see to it that he's got 3 veteran guards entering the draft (two of which have a season playing next to existing starters) on top of his mid-round pick from last year.

The only way it'd happen is if the draft falls just-so 2 out of 2 times, where the top OL pick on the board at 23 and then again at 34 are both such over the top value in terms of overall prospect ranking, and also that the trade down opportunities aren't that enticing.

• Upvote 3

Looking at it another way, based on the existing roster and what JD was able to do before the draft:

• The Jets have signed  EDGE, WR, TE, S, RB to either build or fill in the gaps (more of the latter).
  • The Jets are functional at T, C, TE (sort of), WR, RB, DI, EDGE, MLB (x2), S.
  • The Jets are dysfunctional at G (x2), CB1, and OLB (x2).
  • So I think 23 and 34 need to be G or CB.  Personally, I like the Creed (move McGovern to G) and Jenkins (have him play G) at 23 and BCBA at 34, but if Saleh loves Newsome, you can see him doing that at 23 and doing his best for G at 34. Round 3 could see TE, LB.  
  • As we have seen, starting Gs have been had in rounds 3 and 4, more round 3.  
  • There is a 2022 need to upgrade/replace C, T, RB, TE, S in addition to the above needs.  
  • So, IMHO, 23, 34 and the third round picks need to clearly fill some of the needs listed above.  
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, heymangold said:

The chiefs didn’t rely on a run game, they had the best QB in the game.  TB had fournette and Jones, both high picks.
 I’m tired of guys that “show promise” on a 2-14 team.  Get me real players.  Coleman, Perine and Adams are JAGs.  
Harris or Etienne would provide a real RB that could run and catch - another dimension to help a rookie qb.

Fournette wasn't drafted by the Bucs. I don't mind taking a RB in the 2nd round but I rather build our o-line first.