Morgan pick makes even less sense now... what a waste of a pick

19 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

you don't use a 4th on a player that may or may not play.  period.  4th rd pick should be for a player that becomes a starter or at the very least on the field as much as possible.  Especially when we have so many hoes to fill and backup QB was not one at the time

Don’t tell the stupid Colts GM that, he drafted Eason two picks before Morgan was taken even though he signed Rivers and had Brissett as a backup. Now with Rivers retired he traded valuable picks to Philly for Wentz. If only you had posted this earlier,  you may have saved him the embarrassment. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I would suggest you look at the success rate with fourth round picks. How many are still in the NFL, much less starting? In any case, Morgan has a had a chance to sit for a year. Let's see where he's at as a backup going forward. The good thing about fourth round picks is that they're actually not expected to be immediate starters. That's usually why they're fourth round picks. 

Ironically, on a quick search, QB has the lowest success rate at 8%.

• Haha 1

I'm so glad someone started this thread again. We haven't had one for about 2 days, I was getting worried.

He was a 4th round pick, a pick for the future as a developmental QB. If he becomes a good backup, it was a good pick.

We don't know yet, because there were zero pre-season games last year and he was never going to play as a rookie with no pre-season experience and Darnold and Flacco ahead of him.

JD seems to like him, so let's wait and see what the guy can do in pre-season this year.

I'm more concerned about Davis, Zuniga and Clark than I am about Morgan right now.

• Upvote 3

Kinda funny this post comes a day after JD says he is still really excited about Morgan and wishes the writers had gotten the chance to see him. It was really the first time we have heard anything about him and it was positive with JD also saying he is OK with them as backups. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Nope do the search.  You will see.

WR, RB, CB, and QB all sit at around 8-12% re getting 50% playing time. Only exception is TE, which is typically drafted lower. Consider also how few QB's are drafted overall relative to WRs or CBs. That creates numerator inflation statistically. The real question is how JD valued Morgan. If he saw him as a second or third round value that dropped for example, he would pounce. If not, he was seriously rolling the dice, given the likelihood of Morgan beating the odds. On the other hand, aggregating stats over draft seasons is always suspect. One draft is equal to another. Aggregating tends to erase important variations in draft quality overall and by position.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Long Island Leprechaun said:

WR, RB, CB, and QB all sit at around 8-12% re getting 50% playing time. Only exception is TE, which is typically drafted lower. Consider also how few QB's are drafted overall relative to WRs or CBs. That creates numerator inflation statistically. The real question is how JD valued Morgan. If he saw him as a second or third round value that dropped for example, he would pounce. If not, he was seriously rolling the dice, given the likelihood of Morgan beating the odds. On the other hand, aggregating stats over draft seasons is always suspect. One draft is not equal to another. Aggregating tends to erase important variations in draft quality overall and by position.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

WR, RB, CB, and QB all sit at around 8-12% re getting 50% playing time. Only exception is TE, which is typically drafted lower. Consider also how few QB's are drafted overall relative to WRs or CBs. That creates numerator inflation statistically. The real question is how JD valued Morgan. If he saw him as a second or third round value that dropped for example, he would pounce. If not, he was seriously rolling the dice, given the likelihood of Morgan beating the odds. On the other hand, aggregating stats over draft seasons is always suspect. One draft is equal to another. Aggregating tends to erase important variations in draft quality overall and by position.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

• Thumb Down 2

56 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Just reflecting a bit and have to say that this pick was a huge gaff by JD.  I know many weren’t happy with this pick at the time, but to come back the next draft and have to pick another QB..  geesh.  We wasted a 4th round pick on a backup that may never see the field.

This pick alone has me second guessing JD ability to hit picks in the draft.  These are so precious (particularly in the top 4 rounds) - especially when rebuilding from the ground up without going bananas in free agency (a la New England).

Hope I’m wrong but some of you are way more confident in JD drafting than me.

Would you care to list how many QB's taken in the 4th round became full time starters?

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Backup QB is an important position, particularly when the starting QB is 150 lbs and made of quinoa.

Lol, yes.  Wilson appears undersized.  I'm a Wilson fan and can't deny it would be better if he were bigger.  We can only hope he's durable but size doesn't always mean durable.  I always thought Sam was a prototypical size and he always seemed to get hurt.  Look at Jimmy G as well.  I'd throw in Cam but he's a running QB.  Those guys will all get hurt eventually.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

So far? Yes. Yet, typically you give a pick 3 years. Last year was an exceptionally difficult year with limited preseason access. I would like to think that this new staff gets at least two of those playing well enough to contribute and one becomes a solid starter. 

Hope so!

• Upvote 2

It was already as stupid as the pick could possibly get when the pick was made last year. Some of us called it then and were downvoted into oblivion by the JD apologists (who happen to be the same ones who were all about Macc's exec of the year 4 years earlier). 

Bringing it up again now is fine for a message board, but it's not like anything has changed or this really needs to be revisited. It's no more stupid today than it was on draft day.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Just reflecting a bit and have to say that this pick was a huge gaff by JD.  I know many weren’t happy with this pick at the time, but to come back the next draft and have to pick another QB..  geesh.  We wasted a 4th round pick on a backup that may never see the field.

This pick alone has me second guessing JD ability to hit picks in the draft.  These are so precious (particularly in the top 4 rounds) - especially when rebuilding from the ground up without going bananas in free agency (a la New England).

It truly is a gaff. By the OP. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

It was already as stupid as the pick could possibly get when the pick was made last year. Some of us called it then and were downvoted into oblivion by the JD apologists (who happen to be the same ones who were all about Macc's exec of the year 4 years earlier). 

Bringing it up again now is fine for a message board, but it's not like anything has changed or this really needs to be revisited. It's no more stupid today than it was on draft day.

It just a reflection on last years draft as we head into this years with as much draft capital that we have.  A lot here (including me) are banking heavily that JD hits with a majority of the picks to fill all the gaps.  Just stuck out even more now about the QB picks.  I still don’t pick a backup QB in 4th unless I believe he could be a starter at some point... which is apparent now he isn’t

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I couldn't disagree with you more.  What if Morgan plays very well, and ends up being a very good backup?  You know that Zach Wilson can get injured, don't you?  Having a quality backup to play one or more games is very critical in the NFL.  What if Zach gets injured in the 4th game of the season, and we need Morgan for the rest of the year?

If Morgan turns out to be a good player, then the Jets made a GREAT move getting him in the 4th round of last year.

• Upvote 4

the morgan pick was all part of the master plan

joe will trade the second pick for a huge haul of draft picks and then

Morgan is our QB1 and the next Tom Brady(did you know Brady was not drafted even this early? It is a little known fact and it appears Joe D knew through his detailed research and  he drafted Morgan

He is so good that he didnt want him to take the field last year-you never let your opponents see your secret weapon until the  last minute and then they are clueless how to respond

• Haha 3