Morgan pick makes even less sense now... what a waste of a pick

1 hour ago, MysticalJet2 said:

This pick was an ultimate blunder in my opinion.  period.  Doesn't build confidence in his drafting capability.  And yes 125th pick is very important on a rebuild

Well the backup QB is an important piece of the team as well. Sitting for last season only gives Morgan more time to learn the NFL game too.

The pick wasn't a blunder at all 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Alka said:

I couldn't disagree with you more.  What if Morgan plays very well, and ends up being a very good backup?  You know that Zach Wilson can get injured, don't you?  Having a quality backup to play one or more games is very critical in the NFL.  What if Zach gets injured in the 4th game of the season, and we need Morgan for the rest of the year?

If Morgan turns out to be a good player, then the Jets made a GREAT move getting him in the 4th round of last year.

It remains to be seen whether or not they're willing to ride with Zach and the Captain at QB but, if they do, it definitely says that they're comfortable with Morgan starting football games at some point. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the morgan pick was all part of the master plan

joe will trade the second pick for a huge haul of draft picks and then

Morgan is our QB1 and the next Tom Brady(did you know Brady was not drafted even this early? It is a little known fact and it appears Joe D knew through his detailed research and  he drafted Morgan

He is so good that he didnt want him to take the field last year-you never let your opponents see your secret weapon until the  last minute and then they are clueless how to respond

James Sawyer Reaction GIF

JD is a...supergenius!

1 minute ago, slats said:

It remains to be seen whether or not they're willing to ride with Zach and the Captain at QB but, if they do, it definitely says that they're comfortable with Morgan starting football games at some point. 

You're right, but we don't know that yet.  Starting a thread stating that the Morgan pick was awful at this point is ridiculous.  We need to see more before threads like this one makes any sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

With the benefit of hindsight, yes, it was a wasted pick.  But at the time, Darnold looked to be our QB for the foreseeable future and Morgan was a cheap back-up.  4th round pick, out of a small school, with an abbreviated off-season.  I doubt he was expected to contribute much his first year.  I assume the thought was that he could be a cheap back up to Sam this year, and if he looked good, he becomes a future trade chip.

Team was worse than most of us could have expected.  We have the two pick,  Going to add a rookie QB.  We will need a back up with experience.  Morgan is not that guy.  A year later, with the benefit of hindsight, it was a wasted pick.

I don't understand how James Morgan has become the poster child for the anti-JD movement.  We were 2-14 last year.  JD did not upgrade the OL enough, let Robby walk, did not adequately replace him, adds Frank Gore to the backfield.  There are other mistakes that were more egregious to me than selecting a back up QB in R4. 

And, for the record, I am still a JD suppoorter.  He has made mistakes.  He owns 2-14 and that is a really bad first line on the resume.  If there is not substantial improvement this year, I will join the pitchfork brigade next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

lol he didn’t  even take a snap in preseason but you wana give him the backup role to a rookie...

I love this forum for its pure madness 

I'm surprised you weren't the first person to comment on this thread with, well, you know....agenda and all.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I'm surprised you weren't the first person to comment on this thread with, well, you know....agenda and all.

There is no agenda......some of us don't put blind trust into another human being. 

We also look at results and say wellllll. For folks that want to defend the Morgan pick, have at it. Always fun

I thought yesterday - how weird that Douglas would raise Morgan at his press conference - but this kind of thread /scrutiny of that pick is prob why. 

I think the press conference laid bare yesterday that a year ago Douglas really was committed to Sam and that Morgan was probably picked to be a guy they would develop over a period to be a backup in some future. Don't think Douglas was secretly plotting to have the kid see field ever last season or had delusions of what he'd be....and yeah, that makes the timing of the pick with the talent on the board at the time weirder/more dissappointing, but its not an end of the world pick.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Decent? how do you know? he never made it on the field

you answered your own question. you've made several proclamations "waste of a pick", "ultimate blunder" in this thread. How could possible know this, you like me have never seen him throw a football in NFL. Looks like we'll have some pre-season games this year, looking forward to seeing him in action.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

Just reflecting a bit and have to say that this pick was a huge gaff by JD.  I know many weren’t happy with this pick at the time, but to come back the next draft and have to pick another QB..  geesh.  We wasted a 4th round pick on a backup that may never see the field.

This pick alone has me second guessing JD ability to hit picks in the draft.  These are so precious (particularly in the top 4 rounds) - especially when rebuilding from the ground up without going bananas in free agency (a la New England).

Hope I’m wrong but some of you are way more confident in JD drafting than me.

If Morgan is our #2 QB in 2021 and beyond, and he isn't horrific when/if called upon, then the pick is/was fine.

If we have to pay money to sign some washed up or never-was Veteran to be our #2 QB in 2021, or if Morgan never becomes our #2, then yes, it's hard to defend the pick in that scenario, given the many other glaring, bleeding needs the Franchise had in that moment. 

• Upvote 2

Just reflecting a bit and have to say that this pick was a huge gaff by JD.  I know many weren’t happy with this pick at the time, but to come back the next draft and have to pick another QB..  geesh.  We wasted a 4th round pick on a backup that may never see the field.

This pick alone has me second guessing JD ability to hit picks in the draft.  These are so precious (particularly in the top 4 rounds) - especially when rebuilding from the ground up without going bananas in free agency (a la New England).

It's a mistake till it's not

• Sympathy 1

The pick made little sense at the time and feels like a total whiff.

It's okay to support JD and think he's got us moving in the right direction while also pointing out his failures.

Letting Robby Anderson walk was a F up. He did poorly with our three fourth round picks last year. He also seems to generally have a good strategy for team building and I'm comfortable with the job he's doing as GM. These can all be true.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

I'm very much still in the wait and see when it comes to JD's drafting...  he's had 1 draft. No one should be making any bold proclamations on these players 12 months later.

We have a year of actual results, there is no sin or fault is evaluating that for what it is. 

With the COVID situation and lack of camp/preseason also a factor that should be considered.

I notice no one minds when people make "bold proclamations" on our stud O-lineman in the positive, though, lol.

• Upvote 1

Not an ultimate blunder, I'm not going to cry over it but IMHO this was by far his worst pick.  

Not because I don't value a backup--I do but I think you can get them elsewhwere and spending a 4th on one is a waste.

I just don't he's good at all.  And I don not care that Belli "coveted" him.

• Thumb Down 1

????????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We have a year of actual results, there is no sin or fault is evaluating that for what it is. 

With the COVID situation and lack of camp/preseason also a factor that should be considered.

I notice no one minds when people make "bold proclamations" on our stud O-lineman in the positive, though, lol.

Fair... but I'm curious if Becton can stay on field. He got banged up a few times year 1. Happens again this year he'll get injury prone label stuck to him.

How in the world can you go into this season with Morgan being QB2?  The guy didn’t even dress last year, has never even taken a rep against another team in the NFL, but we want to back up a rookie QB with essentially another rookie QB who couldn’t even dress for a game on a team that only won 2 games?   You need a Mullens or a Beathard type back up this year.  

38 minutes ago, Lith said:

With the benefit of hindsight, yes, it was a wasted pick.  But at the time, Darnold looked to be our QB for the foreseeable future and Morgan was a cheap back-up.  4th round pick, out of a small school, with an abbreviated off-season.  I doubt he was expected to contribute much his first year.  I assume the thought was that he could be a cheap back up to Sam this year, and if he looked good, he becomes a future trade chip.

Team was worse than most of us could have expected.  We have the two pick,  Going to add a rookie QB.  We will need a back up with experience.  Morgan is not that guy.  A year later, with the benefit of hindsight, it was a wasted pick.

I don't understand how James Morgan has become the poster child for the anti-JD movement.  We were 2-14 last year.  JD did not upgrade the OL enough, let Robby walk, did not adequately replace him, adds Frank Gore to the backfield.  There are other mistakes that were more egregious to me than selecting a back up QB in R4. 

And, for the record, I am still a JD suppoorter.  He has made mistakes.  He owns 2-14 and that is a really bad first line on the resume.  If there is not substantial improvement this year, I will join the pitchfork brigade next year.

I'm a JD supporter as well but it is who or what we could have added instead of morgan.

Also as I've said before.  Why draft a guy you hope never ever sees the field in the 4th round?  that is drafting a backup QB.

There are tons of cheap backup QBs floating around very single year with experience.

Even now with the Jets, are we all happy with a rookie and morgan as a backup?  Most people want to bring in a vet anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

I'm a JD supporter as well but it is who or what we could have added instead of morgan.

Also as I've said before.  Why draft a guy you hope never ever sees the field in the 4th round?  that is drafting a backup QB.

There are tons of cheap backup QBs floating around very single year with experience.

Even now with the Jets, are we all happy with a rookie and morgan as a backup?  Most people want to bring in a vet anyway.

This is where I'm at.  If we're using a 4th on a developmental player to be a backup, let it be a swing/Guard/Center/Tackle or a CB.

Using a 4th on the HOPES that he becomes a decent backup is a waste of draft capital.  7th?  6th? Sure.  Not before.

• Thumb Down 1

I absolutely agree that Jetnation must renew its commitment to crying over spilled milk and bringing up past errors over and over, preferably years later, so that we will have the benefit of hindsight.  This is particularly appropriate with regard to recent draft picks who have not yet played one snap for the team.

big sean GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

lol he didn’t  even take a snap in preseason but you wana give him the backup role to a rookie...

I love this forum for its pure madness 

What preseason?  The one where no NFL player took a single snap?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

I absolutely agree that Jetnation must renew its commitment to crying over spilled milk and bringing up past errors over and over, preferably years later, so that we will have the benefit of hindsight.  This is particularly appropriate with regard to recent draft picks who have not yet played one snap for the team.

big sean GIF

Mike McCaganan should still be GM of the jets due to spilled milk crying.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

you don't use a 4th on a player that may or may not play.  period.  4th rd pick should be for a player that becomes a starter or at the very least on the field as much as possible.  Especially when we have so many hoes to fill and backup QB was not one at the time

I don't care what you do with your personal time but I remind you that this is a family web-site,

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How in the world can you go into this season with Morgan being QB2?  The guy didn’t even dress last year, has never even taken a rep against another team in the NFL, but we want to back up a rookie QB with essentially another rookie QB who couldn’t even dress for a game on a team that only won 2 games?   You need a Mullens or a Beathard type back up this year.  

Why?

• Post of the Week 1