Morgan pick makes even less sense now... what a waste of a pick

43 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

There is no agenda......some of us don't put blind trust into another human being. 

We also look at results and say wellllll. For folks that want to defend the Morgan pick, have at it. Always fun

Wow....Great for you!

Not sure if you realize this is NOT Madden football.  It will take at least three drafts to start getting out of the mess that the last season of Mike Tannenbaum, two seasons of John Idzik, and five drafts of Mike Mcgagnan.

But you and your clan keep going on about a 4th round QB selection as the evidence for JD's pink slip.  You seem to be having fun with that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Awful awful pick. (Considering the teams needs and who was on the board at the time)

You do not draft backup QBs there are always tons of failed stater types that become 10 year backups out there each year.

So the Redskins should not have drafted Kirk Cousins in the 4th round of the 2012 draft (after drafting RG3 in the 1st round).

Got it.

FYI, Dak Prescott was also a 4th round pick.  Success rate is rare, but it's not zero.  And most positions have a rate of finding starters in the 4th round below 20% anyway.  4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

You want just Wilson and Morgan in the QB room this year? 

As opposed to adding who exactly? Our season looks like sh*t to start with, and doesn’t get any better with a guy like Mullens. If Wilson goes down there’s literally no harm in starting Morgan, it certainly can’t look worse than anything we’ve seen the last 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

I think you can give Douglas a pass on last year's draft.  

This year though, he better nail it.  If we go marching into the '21 season with a shiny new QB and no O-line or WRs to help him, I think you can start building a case for him to be called a bust.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Snell41 said:

As opposed to adding who exactly? Our season looks like sh*t to start with, and doesn’t get any better with a guy like Mullens. If Wilson goes down there’s literally no harm in starting Morgan, it certainly can’t look worse than anything we’ve seen the last 2 years.

I’m sure Saleh would be ecstatic about having 2 QBs who have never taken a snap in the NFL as his QB room.   

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Wow....Great for you!

Not sure if you realize this is NOT Madden football.  It will take at least three drafts to start getting out of the mess that the last season of Mike Tannenbaum, two seasons of John Idzik, and five drafts of Mike Mcgagnan.

But you and your clan keep going on about a 4th round QB selection as the evidence for JD's pink slip.  You seem to be having fun with that.

That is completely and utterly false. It does not take 3 drafts to evaluate someone. 

ARE YOUSERIOUSLY GOING BACK to Idzik and Tenny???? Really???? They have ZEROOOO part of this team. This roster is mostly and completely JD. He has purged any talent MAC brought in.

JD's record in 2 seasons = 9 Wins and 23 Loses. 

You are what your record says you are. This biz is about winning not looking sexy on draft day or winning FA. 

Win football games = Successful. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm a JD supporter as well but it is who or what we could have added instead of morgan.

Also as I've said before.  Why draft a guy you hope never ever sees the field in the 4th round?  that is drafting a backup QB.

There are tons of cheap backup QBs floating around very single year with experience.

Even now with the Jets, are we all happy with a rookie and morgan as a backup?  Most people want to bring in a vet anyway.

My point is that most 4th round picks don't contribute as rookies.  Gabriel Davis was the outlier moreso than Morgan.  Many 4th round picks never amount to anything more than career back-ups. 

Going back 5 years, nearly a third of all 4th round picks from 2015 are already out of the league.  Only 9 of 36 4th rounders from that year started for 3 of their 6 seasons in the league (including our own Jamison Crowder). 

I didn't like the pick either, I would have rather seen us go in another direction.  I just don't see it as a major blunder.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Success rate is rare, but it's not zero.  And most positions have a rate of finding starters in the 4th round below 20% anyway.  4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

This is valid and fair. Specific to the Morgan pick though, context matters. Darnold clearly needed to be evaluated, so there was no way Morgan was going to see the field this past year barring major injuries. Further, Darnold was going into year 3 of his rookie deal and JD was going into year 2 of his deal. However you slice it, either Darnold was going to hit, or JD was going to take his own shot at a big time prospect over the next two years; thereby making any late round flier prospect irrelevant other than as a backup. Given that backup QBs can be had for cheap every single FA period (hello Joe Flacco), and that WR and OL were (and still are) huge priorities, this was an annoying pick from day 1. 

FYI I'm not bashing JD. I really like what he's done for the most part. And of course you can't evaluate picks on their own this early. However, regardless of how either Morgan or Perrine turn out, the logic behind the picks portray troubling aspects to his decision making. And before anyone calls this hindsight: I said all of this in the draft thread last year too. 

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

My point is that most 4th round picks don't contribute as rookies.  Gabriel Davis was the outlier moreso than Morgan.  Many 4th round picks never amount to anything more than career back-ups. 

Going back 5 years, nearly a third of all 4th round picks from 2015 are already out of the league.  Only 9 of 36 4th rounders from that year started for 3 of their 6 seasons in the league (including our own Jamison Crowder). 

I didn't like the pick either, I would have rather seen us go in another direction.  I just don't see it as a major blunder.

So here’s the thing for me.  I am ok with drafting someone in the 4th and missing - especially if your drafting to fill a need.  What bothers me is drafting someone you know will be a backup basically forever at that position. If you have the luxury to do so, that’s one thing, but this team had and has too many holes for that luxury. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So here’s the thing for me.  I am ok with drafting someone in the 4th and missing - especially if your drafting to fill a need.  What bothers me is drafting someone you know will be a backup basically forever at that position. If you have the luxury to do so, that’s one thing, but this team had and has too many holes for that luxury. 

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you.  I just think that all the angst over a bad 4th round pick is overblown.  Taking Hack in the 2nd and him never playing a down is egregious.  A mid 4th round pick on a back up QB.  Don't like it, but I don't see it as the huge waste of a resource that others seem to.

• Upvote 4

frankly if getting on the field is the criteria for being a wasted pick versus a good pick then the clark pick was even a bigger waste.  and i don't think either was.  morgan may be a good back up for cheap money and clark was injured for much of last season.  it happens. but getting back to morgan hopefully he'll get to compete for the qb job in training camp.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So the Redskins should not have drafted Kirk Cousins in the 4th round of the 2012 draft (after drafting RG3 in the 1st round).

Got it.

FYI, Dak Prescott was also a 4th round pick.  Success rate is rare, but it's not zero.  And most positions have a rate of finding starters in the 4th round below 20% anyway.  4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

The NY Jets have holes ALL OVER the team, as in almost every single position.  A 4th round QB is a total luxury pick.

If you think highly enough of the player he should have been the backup last year and like the guys you mentioned been playing when darnold was hurt.

If Morgan is the backup QB from day on this year and no one else is brought in I'll acknowledge the supporters of the pick have a point.

If we bring in a vet backup then no.

And if Morgan showed something real in year one of his stay in the league like the guys you mentioned we should not be drafting a QB at #2

• Upvote 1

Good thing the Jets had JF last year to play QB instead of Morgan... I mean without an established vet backup the Jets may have gone 2-14 or something like that. You don't need a grey beard to be a backup QB. However, it does help when the team has a real OC coaching up the QBs. But yeah, lets spend around 10 million for a has been to ride the bench and contribute average at best when needed. Clearly those are the traits of a real experienced vet that the Jets so desperately need.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

You are completely missing the point, I’m not surprised.  

That’s because your point sucks. There’s no reason to sign any of the available backup QB’s. None of them move the needle, none of them equate to wins. Throw Morgan out there if Wilson goes down, period. He was drafted to do exactly that.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Do you think JD drafted James Morgan with the "knowledge" that he wouldn't pan out as a starter or back up? If you can see the future, please PM the winning numbers for MegaMillions and Powerball. 

You may end up being right about Morgan, but it is way too early to make a definitive determination about a fourth round pick who hasn't played a down of NFL football due to a pandemic year and injury.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Just reflecting a bit and have to say that this pick was a huge gaff by JD.  I know many weren’t happy with this pick at the time, but to come back the next draft and have to pick another QB..  geesh.  We wasted a 4th round pick on a backup that may never see the field.

This pick alone has me second guessing JD ability to hit picks in the draft.  These are so precious (particularly in the top 4 rounds) - especially when rebuilding from the ground up without going bananas in free agency (a la New England).

Hope I’m wrong but some of you are way more confident in JD drafting than me.

but, when he made this pick Sam was coming off a 6-2 record at the end of 2019 and looked to be turning the corner. At that point this was a pick for a long term backup at QB and seemed that was the thinking, and Morgan can still be that backup. He is likely the 3rd string this year unless White beats him out for that spot, with a vet QB as the #2 QB behind whoever we draft @#2 overall. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Lol what the hell is wrong with your life that you're reflecting on the James Morgan pick at 8 am on a Wednesday?

Maybe his  weiner didn't get hard when needed because of..

image.png.f5893994231922f3f33528f798228c9f.png

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

That is completely and utterly false. It does not take 3 drafts to evaluate someone. 

ARE YOUSERIOUSLY GOING BACK to Idzik and Tenny???? Really???? They have ZEROOOO part of this team. This roster is mostly and completely JD. He has purged any talent MAC brought in.

JD's record in 2 seasons = 9 Wins and 23 Loses. 

You are what your record says you are. This biz is about winning not looking sexy on draft day or winning FA. 

Win football games = Successful. 

Translation:

637042d443630aed81a99b48406aa693.jpg

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

the morgan pick was all part of the master plan

joe will trade the second pick for a huge haul of draft picks and then

Morgan is our QB1 and the next Tom Brady(did you know Brady was not drafted even this early? It is a little known fact and it appears Joe D knew through his detailed research and  he drafted Morgan

He is so good that he didnt want him to take the field last year-you never let your opponents see your secret weapon until the  last minute and then they are clueless how to respond

Another idiotic post. 

• Haha 1

The pick made zero sense considering you are a rebuilding team with a 22 yr old QB on the roster you picked 3rd......Jets fans are also the only people on the planet who think passing on Claypool trading down and getting Mims was genius.   These two moves and letting Anderson walk are why I'm cautious about JD and not fanboying yet. lol

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

There is no agenda......some of us don't put blind trust into another human being. 

We also look at results and say wellllll. For folks that want to defend the Morgan pick, have at it. Always fun

I wasn't aware there were only two alternatives: Morgan pick bad, Morgan pick good. At this point, we simply don't know whether that pick has value or not. Secondly, it's always good to maintain a perspective on the relative value of a pick. Personally, I would have preferred a WR. I'm more concerned about Zuniga and Davis. This season will be tell us a great deal more about whether Douglas has the draft touch or not. Gase is not around to blame for poor results on the field.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Wow....Great for you!

Many people here need therapy so complaining constantly seems to help them plus it saves them money.. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLnPsmRtcEjcoXqH-rLgr

15 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Another idiotic post. 

How is that post idiotic?  There were legions of posters saying just that to explain the pick.  "This is genius they can trade Morgan in two years for a 1st just like Jimmy G".  People just like to bury their idiotic opinions they had in the past. lol

you don't use a 4th on a player that may or may not play.  period.  4th rd pick should be for a player that becomes a starter or at the very least on the field as much as possible.  Especially when we have so many hoes to fill and backup QB was not one at the time

QB-needy team drafts a QB.  Outrage ensues.  More at 11.  

• Haha 1

Ironically, on a quick search, QB has the lowest success rate at 8%.

2 of the 7 largest current contracts in the NFL (on a per year basis) belong to QB's who were drafted in the 4th round.  

That's why you take shots at QB's despite the low success rate:  Enormous upside.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Has there ever been more bitching about a 4th round pick in the history of the world? 

If people want an actual reason to b*tch, the Perine pick deserves it.  But that pick gets something like 1/25th of the bandwidth that the Morgan pick gets. 

The only 2 QB's currently under contract are Morgan and Mike White and people want to b*tch about the # 125 overall picking used on one of them.  Misdirected anger if I've ever seen it.  

• Upvote 3