Morgan pick makes even less sense now... what a waste of a pick

Just now, Peace Frog said:

Gabriel Davis was taken 4 spots later--but that could be construed as 20-20 hindsight but a LOT of guys liked him.  He was on my list.  

I have no problem using a 4th rounder on a developmental player--I don't need an immediate impact player--but make it a position that may actually see the field some day at a postition of real need.  Like the Cameron Clarke pick a few picks later.  Grab a LBer or a Tackle or whatever.  Not a stiff inaccurate QB from a Division 3 school.  I don't think Morgan will ever see the field in the NFL.  

But it turned out that we did need a QB . . . lol

It wasn't dumb to hedge on Sam. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, undertow said:

I'm not trying to kill Mims I think he will be good I'm just confused how that trade down was a stroke of genius and used as a example of how smart JD is.  I'm less impressed by trading back and collecting late round picks then I am by identifying players and just taking them.  Once the Steelers took Claypool I knew we fvcked up.

It wasn't a "stroke of genius".  It was necessity.  We didn't/couldn't trade down from 11, so he traded down from his Rd 2 pick instead.  We needed more picks and bodies on the team, period.  Did you see how bad the roster was last year?  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

yes i did

wife had jamal, sister had Robbie

Out of alota jersey money recently 

Lol love that you are a good sport ....

Some people around here like to take banter and/ or insults made in jest seriously ....instead of knowing how to have fun on the internet. They are generally too dumb to know they are acting like tools and have lengthy ignore lists.

Fan to fan might I make a suggestion that you always go older on jersey purchases that way you know what you are getting into and don't have to worry about the player busting or being traded.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What, dude?  You just called FIU a D-III school.  D3 is non-scholarship.  Just because a guy isn't a P6 now he's a D-III prospect?  If that's the case, I have some bad news for you regarding Zach Wilson....

It was sarcasm.  

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Lol love that you are a good sport ....

Some people around here like to take banter and/ or insults made in jest seriously ....instead of knowing how to have fun on the internet. They are generally too dumb to know they are acting like tools and have lengthy ignore lists.

Fan to fan might I make a suggestion that you always go older on jersey purchases that way you know what you are getting into and don't have to worry about the player busting or being traded.

Agreed. 

Half the time folks can’t even pick up me poking holes at their arguments just for fun 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And you have no idea whether he's "not very good" or not.  And starting franchise QB's can, and have, come from the 4th round before.  

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

LOL, can we see the guy before we say he can't play?

You are reaching here. 

Nobody has any idea that is ironclad about anything.  It's all guessing.  In my opinion, he's not very good.  Admitedly, haven't seen a lot of him but of what I've seen, he looks awful.  Stiff, inaccurate, big arm.  Reminds me of Christian Hackenberg.  

That's just my opinion.  I think the pick was a waste and would have preferred any other position at that spot.  

And yes, we should see the guy play.  You know when would have been perfect? During a 2-14 season with an awful Darnold and a dinasour Flacco. Did he even dress for a game? Honest question because I really don't remember seeing him on the sidelines during any game.  

• Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then that same sarcasm can rightly be extended to the new QB we're about to draft at 2, no?

If Morgan was a bad pick primarily because of the conference he played in, then Wilson will be too.  

Really? You think there is any comparison between the 2? Because of the conf they played in? 

The primary difference is the wide disparity between their talent.  

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Nobody has any idea that is ironclad about anything.  It's all guessing.  In my opinion, he's not very good.  Admitedly, haven't seen a lot of him but of what I've seen, he looks awful.  Stiff, inaccurate, big arm.  Reminds me of Christian Hackenberg.  

That's just my opinion.  I think the pick was a waste and would have preferred any other position at that spot.  

And yes, we should see the guy play.  You know when would have been perfect? During a 2-14 season with an awful Darnold and a dinasour Flacco. Did he even dress for a game? Honest question because I really don't remember seeing him on the sidelines during any game.  

Not having a real offseason is a very good reason why Morgan didn't see the field last year.  So many people complain about Darnold being "thrown to the wolves" but aren't willing to give a project QB a year to sit and learn.  It's silly.

If he doesn't make strides towards the QB2 role and/or fails to see the field next season I'll see your point.  Year 1 was a wash for project rookies across the league, especially at QB.  Jacob Eason, taken 2 picks before Morgan, didn't see a snap for the Colts either.  No one in Indy is whining about that, even after they just traded for Carson Wentz's giant contract. 

• Upvote 2

On draft day 3 who was the Jets' backup QB? It wasn't Flacco; he wasn't signed for another month.

I'm not optimistic on him, and most of the time I'm not big on giving huge excuses to players, but a raw rookie QB prospect in an offseason with barely any touching, no preseason games, a complex offense that the roster wasn't fit to install, etc.? 

He's just a backup anyway, so I'll reserve judgment at least until this summer. It's not like I'm losing something by not calling him a total bust 4 months before then.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Really? You think there is any comparison between the 2? Because of the conf they played in? 

The primary difference is the wide disparity between their talent.  

Then let that be the reason for complaining about it.  You can't support Zach Wilson out of the Mountain West and then simultaneously sh*t on the AAC.

Obviously there's a disparity in talent.  That doesn't mean Morgan was automatically a bad pick at 125.  Lots of teams take shots on mid-round QB's all the time.  Even ones with established QB1's.  Why is Morgan such a source of vitriol for Jets fans?  It makes absolutely no sense.  We didn't even have a true QB1 on this team last year and still don't at the moment.  And as @Sperm Edwards just pointed out above, the Jets hadn't even signed Flacco yet when Morgan was drafted. 

It makes perfect, logical sense to give a kid like that a shot if you think he has a fairly high ceiling.  If he shows anything at the pro level over the next 3 years, you could end up flipping him for a higher pick later on, given how few quality QB's there are in the league at any given time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Honestly, if you can find it, watch tape of his Jr year. I saw a few of his games that year, he was very impressive. Battled. through some nagging stuff Sr. year.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not having a real offseason is a very good reason why Morgan didn't see the field last year.  So many people complain about Darnold being "thrown to the wolves" but aren't willing to give a project QB a year to sit and learn.  It's silly.

If he doesn't make strides towards the QB2 role and/or fails to see the field next season I'll see your point.  Year 1 was a wash for project rookies across the league, especially at QB.  Jacob Eason, taken 2 picks before Morgan, didn't see a snap for the Colts either.  No one in Indy is whining about that, even after they just traded for Carson Wentz's giant contract. 

Whut? The Colts were 11-5 and made the playoffs.  He had no reason to play.  We were 2-14--we should have found a way to get that guy in the game--if but for nothing other than continuting the tank.

Nobody knows whether this guy is any good or not.  It is my opinion that he's really not very good at all and not where football is going with mobile QBs that can create their own space for plays.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

On draft day 3 who was the Jets' backup QB? It wasn't Flacco; he wasn't signed for another month.

I'm not optimistic on him, and most of the time I'm not big on giving huge excuses to players, but a raw rookie QB prospect in an offseason with barely any touching, no preseason games, a complex offense that the roster wasn't fit to install, etc.? 

He's just a backup anyway, so I'll reserve judgment at least until this summer. It's not like I'm losing something by not calling him a total bust 4 months before then.

Not calling him a bust, but a waste of a pick especially now with the certainty of resetting a 5 yr contract for our #2 pick at QB.  Unless our #2 pick QB gets hurt, he's not seeing the field to fully understand if he will be any good... and he may still not if they bring a in a veteran QB.

• Thumb Down 3

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then let that be the reason for complaining about it.  You can't support Zach Wilson out of the Mountain West and then simultaneously sh*t on the AAC.

That was NOT the primary reason for sh*tting on him and you know that.  He's a stiff inaccurate guy with a big arm.

He's not in the same stratosphere as Wilson.  Regardless of conference.

Come on now.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Obviously there's a disparity in talent.  That doesn't mean Morgan was automatically a bad pick at 125.  Lots of teams take shots on mid-round QB's all the time.  Even ones with established QB1's.  Why is Morgan such a source of vitriol for Jets fans?  It makes absolutely no sense.  We didn't even have a true QB1 on this team last year and still don't at the moment.  And as @Sperm Edwards just pointed out above, the Jets hadn't even signed Flacco yet when Morgan was drafted. 

It makes perfect, logical sense to give a kid like that a shot if you think he has a fairly high ceiling.  If he shows anything at the pro level over the next 3 years, you could end up flipping him for a higher pick later on, given how few quality QB's there are in the league at any given time.

Look, most likely he sucks. All he is is cheap and, if JD was truly going to just draft Mims anyway, he was in effect free. At the same time, the trade was made the trade was made, and now JD is charged with using them wisely not saying, "Meh we shouldn't have had that pick anyway." And if it was a trade to c*ck block NE from getting him, well they suck at drafting anyway. If it was because we had no other QB2, then he should have signed a QB2 in March or early April.

The flip-side, though, is we know he was a huge zero as a rookie. So is it that he's a zero or is it that he's a zero QB? I feel like it's more the former, and that he's a QB is just to make it seem that much worse. 

We'll see if he's still totally useless this year. As of right now, he hasn't earned any higher a spot on the depth chart than did Hackenberg. They only make 2 QBs active on gameday, so he was 3rd string when Darnold & Flacco were both healthy, and 4th string when one was injured. That's not too inspiring, but we'll get a much better look at him this summer. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not reading 5 pages of this to see if it's already been answered but how does anything recently change anyone's views of the Morgan pick?  He was picked to be a backup QB.  Changing starting QBs shouldn't change anyone's opinion, regardless of anyone's prior opinion of the pick.

If you pick a guy to be a backup and he doesn't make 2nd string, is that bust?

Thing is, here were starters available at WR and OG to draft at Morgan's position.  Draft starters first.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Not calling him a bust, but a waste of a pick especially now with the certainty of resetting a 5 yr contract for our #2 pick at QB.  Unless our #2 pick QB gets hurt, he's not seeing the field to fully understand if he will be any good... and he may still not if they bring a in a veteran QB.

Wasn't Tom Brady drafted to back-up Drew Bledsoe?  I wonder how that worked out?  By the way, it's not like Bledsoe was old or anything.  He was only around 30 years old when Brady took his job.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not calling him a "bust"--never did.  A bust is someone--in my view--that is taken high and miserably fails to meet expectations.

I called the pick a waste because I think you can find guys like him in rounds 6-7 or UDFA.  Hell, Mike White might be better than Morgan.  I just think that if you're looking for SOLELY a backup, look for a backup at a position that might actually see the field someday.  A guard lkke Clarke or a WR or a gunner or a developmental CB.  A position where there are multiple persons at the position.

There's only 1 QB--hopefully--on the team.  Didn't understand the pick.  

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

Wasn't Tom Brady drafted to back-up Drew Bledsoe?  I wonder how that worked out?  By the way, it's not like Bledsoe was old or anything.  He was only around 30 years old when Brady took his job.

Brady was a 1 in a million.  But he was also picked in rd 6.  For me 4th rd vs 6th rd pick is a big difference in value to the organization.

• Thumb Down 2

4 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Meh, I don't think he was taking Morgan with that benefit of hindsight that:

(a) Morgan was going to be - in effect - a 4th string rookie QB after all the preseason games were canceled

(b) He was going to dump Darnold before the 2021 draft

(c) He'd be sitting on the 2nd overall pick in the 2021 draft

These are all things we know with 100% certainty today, not as of draft day 2020. 

Ultimately, I think the bigger criticism will be that he sucks not that he's a QB. Every team needs a backup QB (or two), and if he needs to get onto the field due to a starter injury and we don't just lose all those games, then it's not a wasted pick. But yeah, so far it looks wasted of course.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MysticalJet2 said:

Brady was a 1 in a million.  But he was also picked in rd 6.  For me 4th rd vs 6th rd pick is a big difference in value to the organization.

Exactly.

Besides--He was picked with the Pats THIRD 6th round pick.  That's how much they thought of him. He was a throw in.  

And he didn't "take" Brady's job.  Mo Lewis exploded Bledsoe's aorta.