Mike Lombardi Interview on Moose and Maggie

30 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Tidbits:

1) reports are that Saleh preferred to keep Darnold and build around him over Wilson 

I don't believe him.  I simply don't believe that JD would go against his new Head Coach and O-Co on who they wanted as his QB.

2) Lombardi would have traded back and drafted Sewell 

Sewell is a very good player with massive upside.  I liked him, alot.

But we now need a QB, so QB is the only real-world choice.

3) Lombardi has not liked what he had seen from Darnold with the Jets. 

Who has?

4) Lombardi likes Darnolds leadership. Doesn’t think that Wilson is an Alpha Male.

How did he come to that conclusion?  Wilson's girlish looks in some pictures?

5) Jets didn’t utilize their cap advantage to its full extent. 

I think most of us are aware of that.

6) Patriots were aggressive because they signed players 20% cheaper than they would in a normal offseason. 

Good for them?

7) Patriots are smarter than everyone else 

Results speak for themselves, but who knows what the future holds.

8 ) College scouts like Joe Douglas over value draft picks and don’t know about team building. 

TBD IMO.

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Don’t know if he is right or wrong, but I do know this is the list of QB’s drafted on his watch.

-Scott Barry
-Steve Slayden
-Clemente Gordon
-Keith McCant
-Eric Zeier
-Marquis Tuiasosopo
-Andrew Walter
-JaMarcus Russell

Jawalrus could throw a ball 80 yards from his knees. Ultimate alpha male.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

One thing he says that might be correct - I'm not sure that Wilson is the level of leader that Darnold is. Sam was easy to follow, I'm not sure that Zach will match up quite so well.

Just a few things about what I have seen give me some concerns in this area - his on-field demeanour, the way he talks in interviews, the whole he wasn't a captain until he miraculously was thing.

Hopefully I am completely wrong and he proves to be a great leader, but it's the one area where I have the most concerns about Wilson.

Flame away.

I think you are wrong. His teammates loved him.  He's really driven the team will respond to that. You could see how easy his interactions were with his teammates at the Pro Day

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think you are wrong. His teammates loved him.  He's really driven the team will respond to that. You could see how easy his interactions were with his teammates at the Pro Day

I absolutely hope that you’re right, and I am wrong.

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I absolutely hope that you’re right, and I am wrong.

Have you watched any of his BYU TV interviews?  He come across as intelligent, humble, personable and driven. I think his teammates will embrace him. That said I think it is good for the Jets to not have the locker room split between him and another. I actually do not expect a veteran because the veterans regardless of how good his leadership is will latch onto the veteran until he proves himself.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Have you watched any of his BYU TV interviews?  He come across as intelligent, humble, personable and driven. I think his teammates will embrace him. That said I think it is good for the Jets to not have the locker room split between him and another. I actually do not expect a veteran because the veterans regardless of how good his leadership is will latch onto the veteran until he proves himself.

I feel like I'm always protecting this kid...but I think it's only because I've done the research into him.

He's very likable, he works very hard (eats and sleeps football) close with his family, friends love him, humble, works regularl jobs in the off-season to earn money etc...Nothing spoiled or obnoxious about this kid.

This is great article with some real background info..It's super long...

but if you want to get to know our future QB it's worth reading.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/1/3/22195624/byu-football-zach-wilson-lds-mormon-heisman-finalists-nfl-draft-2021-john-beck-3dqb-camp

Adding one quote:

Amy Rex told the Deseret News that Wilson stayed at their home during all his training sessions with Beck and 3DQB and the negative descriptions were not even close to being accurate.

“He is the least-entitled, least-pretentious, most humble, hard-working kid I’ve ever met,” Amy Rex said. “He would literally show up at our house with gas station food — Top Ramen, peanut butter, a loaf of bread and instant oatmeal, because he was worried about being a ‘burden’ while he was at my house.”

She insisted that Wilson eat her famous Kalua pork dishes and protein pancakes. Last Mother’s Day, Wilson worked all day for DoorDash, delivering food in Anaheim to earn the money needed to pay for his training sessions.

“Zach is one of the most polite and respectful kids I have ever met. He takes no days off. I witnessed his work ethic and willingness to personally sacrifice to improve his game firsthand. We will miss having him in our home but feel blessed and grateful for the example he set for my sons.” — Amy Rex

“Zach is one of the most polite and respectful kids I have ever met,” she said. “He takes no days off. I witnessed his work ethic and willingness to personally sacrifice to improve his game firsthand. We will miss having him in our home but feel blessed and grateful for the example he set for my sons.”

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Media is a joke.  Ever since we traded Darnold, it seems most of sports media is sucking Darnold's jock strap.  What's the matter, no faith in JD and what he's trying to build?  In the big picture, he's trying to make the Jets respectable and competitive.  I swear, sports and news media are drinking from the same sewer...making their own news.

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

So I gave a listen to the segment just for laughs and, I gotta say: GreekJet, you need to find a new line of work, because your interview summaries pretty much suck. Almost everything you wrote was wrong.

Let me take it item by item:

1) reports are that Saleh preferred to keep Darnold and build around him over Wilson 

Lombardi never said this. Maggie asked him about Cimini reporting that Saleh wanted Darnold and Lombardi was just thinking out loud about why Saleh might have initially wanted a different approach.

2) Lombardi would have traded back and drafted Sewell 

3) Lombardi has not liked what he had seen from Darnold with the Jets. 

Yes, this are the few items you got right. He said he would have built the team first. He said Darnold has been bad, but been good when playing with a lead and has to learn how to play well when the team is behind.

4) Lombardi likes Darnolds leadership. Doesn’t think that Wilson is an Alpha Male.

Lombardi did not say Wilson wasn't an alpha male. He said he hasn't looked at Wilson's tapes and doesn't know anything about his leadership qualities. What he said is that a leader should have "alpha male" qualities. He liked Darnold's leadership qualities when he looked at his 2018 college tapes.

5) Jets didn’t utilize their cap advantage to its full extent. 

Lombardi didn't say this at all in the interview. Don't know where you got this from.

6) Patriots were aggressive because they signed players 20% cheaper than they would in a normal offseason. 

7) Patriots are smarter than everyone else 

This isn't what he said. He actually said the Patriots overpaid in free agency, but this was offset somewhat by a 20% reduction in overall salaries.

8 ) College scouts like Joe Douglas over value draft picks and don’t know about team building. 

Lombardi never said college scouts or Joe Douglas don't know anything about team building. He did say that he feels sometimes college scouts do overvalue draft picks.

That’s because he isn’t doing this to provide us with real information.  He’s doing it to troll the forum

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

How am I a troll? Moose and Maggie is my favorite show. I listen to it every day. 

3 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

How did I misrepresent the interview? You can listen to it yourself. 

Because one poster already listened to the interview and posted about how you completely botched your summary.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

One thing he says that might be correct - I'm not sure that Wilson is the level of leader that Darnold is. Sam was easy to follow, I'm not sure that Zach will match up quite so well.

Just a few things about what I have seen give me some concerns in this area - his on-field demeanour, the way he talks in interviews, the whole he wasn't a captain until he miraculously was thing.

Hopefully I am completely wrong and he proves to be a great leader, but it's the one area where I have the most concerns about Wilson.

Flame away.

I'm not sure how true the "Zach is not a good leader" buzz is either, but if there's any truth to it, then I think signing Alex Smith is a great way to go.  Yes, I understand the "don't waste a roster spot on a mentor" argument, but in this case, it would be key to have a veteran leader in the Jets 2021 QB room who's a player not a coach.  No matter how you feel about Sam's results on the field, the consensus seems to be that he was well liked and respected in the locker room, and those may be tough shoes to fill for Zach - particularly if he's not an instinctual leader.  A. Smith can be the guy to fill the leadership void left by Sam initially, help show Zach how to gain the trust and respect of his teammates, and ease the transition over to Zach as the unquestioned leader of the offense.

• Upvote 1