Offensive Line

2 hours ago, derp said:

It's goofy but maybe less bad in a zone scheme that Cosmi fits well in, right? Captain too. Seems like a logical target aside from I can't really figure out his day one impact with Fant. I'd rather not move guys around but he's got short arms so maybe guard early and see what happens.

I'm kind of convincing myself they're going to pop Humphrey or Cosmi at 23. Plus athletes, plus character, fit the line need. Just kind of check all the Douglas boxes. Both kind of awkward fits with Fant and McGovern sticking around this year but I know position versatility is valued and presume they'll find some way to make it work. Pretty much everyone they'd take at 23 is an awkward fit.

Cosmi is rich man's Fant 

a natural pass blocking LT playing completely out of position at RT 

not a mauler, a wall off type of player who gets in the way 

for all the Orlando Brown talk, why would Sam Cosmi even want to play RT?

I have/had a similar dream of Tevin Jenkins and Creed Humphrey but their FA activity or lack there of means they like Fant and McGovern way more than we do 

best we can hope for is some 2nd/3rd round Spencer Brown magic or some sleeper to replace Fant after this year. JD is not interested in replacing Fant this year, he just paid him.  

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Cosmi is rich man's Fant 

I have/had a similar dream of Tevin Jenkins and Creed Humphrey but their FA activity or lack there of means they like Fant and McGovern way more than we do 

best we can hope for is some 2nd/3rd round Spencer Brown magic or some sleeper to replace Fant after this year. JD is not interested in replacing Fant this year, he just paid him.  

You really think they're going to bring in a mauling RT playing outside zone?

And I don't know - because he's not Orlando Brown? He's been pretty clear in interviews he'll play wherever and thinks that's a big part of his value.

I'm not really sure we can take the lack of FA activity to indicate much about what they deem needs to be since they're barely active in FA and I don't think they were ever going to give the top guys the kinds of contracts they received - right or wrong.

My guess is Fant's successor starts at guard this year - not a strategy I love but I think it jives with how Douglas builds. Could certainly be wrong.

6 minutes ago, derp said:

My guess is Fant's successor starts at guard this year - not a strategy I love but I think it jives with how Douglas builds. Could certainly be wrong.

just don't think Cosmi is aggressive enough a run blocker for the program they are trying to build. Think Mike McGlinchey. 

The Jets are going to be a run first team to play action deep like the Titans (Corey Davis, Corey Levin, their pursuit of Jonnu Smith) and the SFO (Tevin Coleman, all the coaches). 

agree, if they draft a Tevin Jenkins or Liam Ech (aggressive run blocker with zone feet) they will start him at guard. the risk is that once settled in, that player will never leave guard. They could just let Cam Clark push at guard for free.  

let me say it again: JD loves George Fant. the dude somehow wore the C patch last year. 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

just don't think Cosmi is aggressive enough a run blocker for the program they are trying to build. Think Mike McGlinchey. 

The Jets are going to be a run first team to play action deep like the Titans (Corey Davis, Corey Levin, their pursuit of Jonnu Smith) and the SFO (Tevin Coleman, all the coaches). 

agree, if they draft a Tevin Jenkins or Liam Ech (aggressive run blocker with zone feet) they will start him at guard. the risk is that once settled in, that player will never leave guard. They could just let Cam Clark push at guard for free.  

let me say it again: JD loves George Fant. the dude somehow wore the C patch last year. 

I got you and you could very well be right. I just see a lot of “we need to help the QB” talk and everything at 23 is square peg, round hole so I’m trying to step a little outside the framework while meshing with what Douglas values in prospects and fitting short and long term needs. There’s not a lot.

I’d think based on who they’ve got a big attack of the OL in rounds 3-4 and letting those guys take over later would very much mesh too. Meinerz, Brown, and maybe Kendrick Green or something.

But it seems like they’re planning to actually go offense early and there’s no TE, I don’t think the WR gets on the field enough. Maybe they go RB? I think OL makes more sense.

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I got you and you could very well be right. I just see a lot of “we need to help the QB” talk and everything at 23 is square peg, round hole so I’m trying to step a little outside the framework while meshing with what Douglas values in prospects and fitting short and long term needs. There’s not a lot.

I’d think based on who they’ve got a big attack of the OL in rounds 3-4 and letting those guys take over later would very much mesh too. Meinerz, Brown, and maybe Kendrick Green or something.

But it seems like they’re planning to actually go offense early and there’s no TE, I don’t think the WR gets on the field enough. Maybe they go RB? I think OL makes more sense.

the most natural fit between OL value and 23 is likely AVT and I don't know what to make of that dude 

Jenkins feels like a JD player he also feels like a reach at 23. 

reading tea leaves the Jets taking Zach Wilson at 2 believe they can support this player today, regardless of the draft. Or that Zach Wilson will be so transformative, he will make the line better by just not being Sam. 

JD is not sitting there thinking, "guard position is going to ruin the season" or "we need to find a new position for McGovern" 

7 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Or maybe they hope to pick up Jenkins and Humphrey so they could move Fant and McG to guard.

file this under things we would do that JD would never do 

JD is in the JD business he's not going undercut his own FA signings 

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Cosmi is rich man's Fant 

I think they would pencil Jenkins in at LG. Play him next to Becton and we, could average 5 yds a carry.

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the most natural fit between OL value and 23 is likely AVT and I don't know what to make of that dude 

reading tea leaves the Jets taking Zach Wilson at 2 believe they can support this player today, regardless of the draft. Or that Zach Wilson will be so transformative, he will make the line better by just not being Sam. 

JD is not sitting there thinking, "guard position is going to ruin the season" or "we need to find a new position for McGovern" 

No way we start the season with Lewis and Van Roten as our starters. Please no.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

file this under things we would do that JD would never do 

JD is in the JD business he's not going undercut his own FA signings 

Is that undercutting his signings though? I think it shows foresight. They played their role last year, they're capable of playing a new role in a fluid situation this year, and both would still be starters. Seems like a gold star to me.

44 minutes ago, bitonti said:

No it doesn’t. It says the value of the players available was lower than what Joe Douglas was willing to pay to sign them. Has nothing to do with the draft. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

No it doesn’t. It says the value of the players available was lower than what Joe Douglas was willing to pay to sign them. Has nothing to do with the draft. 

JD didn't even make a call on Linsley. He did not even check the price. 

JD is not going to draft players that take the spot of the jd free agents. Fant gets like 9 mil a year. 

He's not going to solve the problem twice 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

JD is not going to draft players that take the spot of the jd free agents. Fant gets like 9 mil a year. 

Fant is only signed for this year. He’ll likely play RT this year. That doesn’t stop them from drafting an OT and having him play RG as a rookie and then moving over next season. 

Linsley is a 30 year old who just had his first really good year. I would’ve liked him, but I understand the pass. He’s not a player I’d want to make the highest paid center in the league. 

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I think pretty much everyone who will be on the board at 23 will feel like a reach at 23. The class goes off a cliff around 12-15.

I realize I think taking a QB this year is a mistake but the idea they can support a QB at 2 as the roster currently stands is absurd. Maybe they feel that way. We'll see. 

I don't think he believes that guard is going to ruin the season. I think he's going to try to draft players who mesh with what he values - athleticism and character - and can fill long term needs at positions that will support the quarterback. But if the quarterback's playing this year, may as well be guys he can get on the field.

I also don't think he believes Fant or McGovern are long term pieces. They're signed for two years, and both can be easily cut next year. Just like Lewis and Van Roten can be cut this year.

There are a lot of directions he can go in at 23/34. None of them really make sense. I think OL makes the most sense of the stuff that doesn't make sense. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, bitonti said:

Other than drafting Becton JD seems to have the Macagnan blueprint for designing offensive line

• Upvote 1