Are we really OK with going CB at #23?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You pick the best player available, if that turns out to be at a position of need GREAT and CB is a big position of need. We arguably have only one starting CB at the moment in Hall. If we go OL

I kind of cringe with all of the trendy projections of us going CB with our 2nd first rd pick. Flashbacks of Dee Millner, Kyle Wilson, and the infamous double safety draft are haunting me when I read

Ya. CB is the biggest need on this roster by a country mile. We at least have placeholders at OL, there is nothing of note at CB.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I kind of cringe with all of the trendy projections of us going CB with our 2nd first rd pick. Flashbacks of Dee Millner, Kyle Wilson, and the infamous double safety draft are haunting me when I read it.

Are we really going to start fresh with our brand new franchise QB at #2 and then turnaround and draft defense (again) with our first round pick, which otherwise could be used to help him??

Aren't we making the same mistakes of the past, and it's probably time to break the cycle?

And is anyone excited about the 4th cb off the board? How impact could that possibly be?

Lastly, I am on the record that we need to go offense primarily in this draft to make the commitment to Zach (the one we never did for Sam and broke him), however if we do go defense early at least be smart and get a pass rusher.

ant over. Lol

My hope is they flip the 23rd for 2 2nd round picks (if someone in their top 12-15 doesn't fall to them). With 4 picks in the 2nd round they can pick up a CB, multiple linemen and an offensive playmaker. 

JD needs to bet on himself (and I think he will) to find starting caliber OL in the middle rounds of the draft. 

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I kind of cringe with all of the trendy projections of us going CB with our 2nd first rd pick. Flashbacks of Dee Millner, Kyle Wilson, and the infamous double safety draft are haunting me when I read it.

Are we really going to start fresh with our brand new franchise QB at #2 and then turnaround and draft defense (again) with our first round pick, which otherwise could be used to help him??

Aren't we making the same mistakes of the past, and it's probably time to break the cycle?

And is anyone excited about the 4th cb off the board? How impact could that possibly be?

Lastly, I am on the record that we need to go offense primarily in this draft to make the commitment to Zach (the one we never did for Sam and broke him), however if we do go defense early at least be smart and get a pass rusher.

Rant over. Lol

How do you know how the draft will fall today almost 3 weeks before hand?  Am I ok  drafting cb if that’s the way the board falls??  Yes.  At the end of the day you help your QB on both sides of the ball. If your defense gives up 30 points you Jane your QB playing from behind trying to force plays and turning the bal over. So while I’d love an OL as well if the teams before us draft the top notch guys and a quality CB is there then draft them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I think it's more likely we use 34 and 66 or 34 and the extra 2nd next year to move back into the 1st round rather than move up from 23. In that scenario my dream would be to draft 2 offensive lineman but I'll settle for 1 offensive lineman and a weapon on offense. This draft should be all about the offense.  

Also, it's easier to find zone CB's later in the draft than shutdown man to man CB's. The CB's in this defensive system are not of as high importance as we're used to.  It's more about the pass rush and covering the middle of the field. 

• Upvote 2

Everything depends on how the board falls.  Our #23 and #34 picks could
easily be from the following position groups:

- OLine
- WR
- TE
- DE
- CB

Whichever group is thinner in talent should be picked first 

A CB at #23 would surprise me. I expect a laser-like focus to add an OL by #34, and could even see a small move up from #23 to get that done. Most mock drafts are lazy, especially when it comes to the Jets. I've seen lines like, "the Jets traded Jamal Adams, so here's a safety for them," or, "Le'Veon Bell didn't work out, here's a RB." That's not how it's going to go down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I am not ok with it, although I could understand it somewhat, if AVT and Jenkins are off the board. 

I'm mentally preparing myself to be mildly disappointed after our second pick. 

7 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Ya.

CB is the biggest need on this roster by a country mile. We at least have placeholders at OL, there is nothing of note at CB.

They have some decent young talent that they're going to put into zone coverage probably most of the time. The emphasis will be on effectively rushing the passer with just three or four guys. Even though they hit Edge twice in FA, if they were to go defense in the first two rounds, I'd expect it to be another Edge. 

• Upvote 1

Don't make the same mistake with Wilson like with Darnold.

Draft as much offensive talent as possible, interior O line, then RT should be absolutely paramount. Even if we end up being the worst defence in the league the next few years it doesn't matter, all that matters is developing Wilson.

So it would be a no to a CB in the first.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

Rant over. Lol

I'm resigned to it, or something like it.

I fully expect we draft Wilson at #2, then spent the next 2-3 picks on Defense.

Same Old Jets,

It might be telling if JD actually drafts support for his new young QB instead, but I'm not holding my breath.

If Saleh were a former O-Co, maybe it's be different, but like so many before him, he likely wants to win with Defense, and will want premium defenders, CB, Edge, maybe LB early, since we're meh at all three.

Is what it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sad 2

I am 10000% percent against it. I can live with a Swiss cheese secondary If it means keeping our #2 pick QB alive for his rookie year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
8 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

Don't make the same mistake with Wilson like with Darnold.

Draft as much offensive talent as possible, interior O line, then RT should be absolutely paramount. Even if we end up being the worst defence in the league the next few years it doesn't matter, all that matters is developing Wilson.

So it would be a no to a CB in the first.

The problem is, all the top OT’s are mocked to be gone by the time we pick.  Hopefully one will drop without us having to trade up.  

I’m not a huge fan of going CB in the 1st round, unless its one of the last few pieces a team needs to get them over the top.

The shelf life is too short. You’re getting 5-7 years. 

I’d like my 1st round picks for be decade + corner stones that would potentially get 2nd and 3rd contracts.

If we were a corner away from contending then sure...but we’re not. 

Rant over. Lol

Yes I am OK with us going with a CB at 23.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Maybe Douglas would take Newsome if he’s there? I don’t see him taking a gamble on Farley at 23. I honestly don’t see him taking a CB there because it won’t be the right player.

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

The problem is, all the top OT’s are mocked to be gone by the time we pick.  Hopefully one will drop without us having to trade up.  

By all accounts this a deep O line class, Im sure there will be guys available at #23 and in the 2nd and third who would be an upgrade over the less than stellar guys we have now. One of Dillon Radunz, Cosmi, Eichenburg and Tevan Jenkins will most likely be in play at #23 and possibly at the top of the 2nd and thats just the tackles.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JerseyJoe67 said:

I'm hoping for a trade up with our late first early 2nd rounders , to grab another offensive weapon ... love to see an aggressive move to get Pitts but that's gonna cost a bunch.

The Pitts dream is over.  

We can grab a CB at either #23 or #34 and a guard at either #23 or #34.  We also have Cameron Clark who might push for playing time as well. 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, KRL said:

Everything depends on how the board falls.  Our #23 and #34 picks could
easily be from the following position groups:

- OLine
- WR
- TE
- DE
- CB

Whichever group is thinner in talent should be picked first 

Agreed. It's unlikely the Jets go CB if they stay at #23 unless there's a run at another position and somebody drops like Horn. Otherwise, there is value at tackle around there. As for Guard, they should draft one within the top three rounds and get very good value. They don't need to reach.

• Upvote 1

Flashbacks of Dee Millner, Kyle Wilson, and the infamous double safety draft are haunting me when I read it.

Cant you switch to Aaron Glenn or Darrel Revis? 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I don't see us picking a CB before round 3 or 4.

Normally, I'd be pounding the table for CBs, but I just don't see it being a priority this year.

We have some young CBs that the team likes, and the system Saleh runs doesn't place corners under too much pressure by leaving them on an island.

I think our early picks will be all about protecting Wilson and providing him with weapons.

Other legit needs, such as CB and LB, can wait for the middle and late rounds. The only possible exception, I think, might be an edge rusher if a quality prospect is sitting there at 23 or 34.

CB is a need so if there is a real good prospect there you have to consider it.  Look I know most fans want to draft offense with most of the picks and yes we can’t make the same mistake by failing to build around the rookie QB but I’m fine with taking a defensive player who fills a need and is a really good prospect.  We can always take a OL at 34 and have two thirds as well.  Personally my preference is OL at 23 but it depends who is there 

• Upvote 1