Are we really OK with going CB at #23?

we just signed our 2nd OL . how many CBs has he signed? he might feel he address OL enough not to pick one early. same with WR. i believe CB is the only position he didnt sign anyone except keeping Guidry.

i think if fair to be worried going into the season with Hall, Austin and Guidry as our 3 CBs. 

i think JD would be worried too. i would not be surprised if #23 is a CB. or at worst 34

but JD can make this not such a pressing need if he signs a good CB. i think there might be a few left including Poole.

i believe Williams said he got an offer from us but it was similar to the others so he pick i think SF. JD cant be similar  he has to have the best offer or were not getting a good CB. 

or we can take a CB early.

2 things. I believe JD will sign Sherman right before or after draft, and i know this is not popular, but i really think he will trade down out of 23, either just a few spots and acquire a 3 , or down to the bottom of the 1st and acquire another 2.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Idk about you guys but if the CB is Greg Newsome or Jaycee Horn, I’m fine with it.

I also think you could get Caleb Fairly at #34 or maybe even later. He hasn’t played since 2019 & he’s got some injury history that I suspect with drop him on draft boards.

What do you think Steve Nelson signs for, for maybe 2 years, likely 1?  $6mm?  More?

1.23 was a $13mm/4 year contract last year.   That is pretty good value.

What did Joe Thuney sign for?  With the Chiefs?  If there is a G half as good as Thuney there for $3+mm/year for four years?  

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

What do you think Steve Nelson signs for, for maybe 2 years, likely 1?  $6mm?  More?

1.23 was a $13mm/4 year contract last year.   That is pretty good value.

What did Joe Thuney sign for?  With the Chiefs?  If there is a G half as good as Thuney there for $3+mm/year for four years?  

I agree with picking OL over CB if the right OL is there but if not, definitely Newsome or Horn.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely baffled by those that want a CB. Again, name 10 NFL CBs you would trade the 23rd pick for... news flash there aren’t any. The CB position has been neutered by offensive rules. You need a pass rush and a good scheme to put your DBs in good positions, that’s it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

My hope is they flip the 23rd for 2 2nd round picks (if someone in their top 12-15 doesn't fall to them). With 4 picks in the 2nd round they can pick up a CB, multiple linemen and an offensive playmaker. 

JD needs to bet on himself (and I think he will) to find starting caliber OL in the middle rounds of the draft. 
If they got two seconds for that pick we would have three seconds in this draft not four...it is not likely we would get two seconds though probably more like a second and third to give up our first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, QB1 said:

Absolutely baffled by those that want a CB. Again, name 10 NFL CBs you would trade the 23rd pick for... news flash there aren’t any. The CB position has been neutered by offensive rules. You need a pass rush and a good scheme to put your DBs in good positions, that’s it.

This x 1000. It is truly baffling how the same posters, who have criticized Jets management all year for ignoring offense in the draft for far too long and thus failing to give our franchise QB any chance of success, are now championing drafting a CB at literally the very first opportunity to add a resource that can help Zach Wilson be successful as our new franchise QB 

And as you noted, CBs are hardly difference makers anymore with the way the rules are set up. If you want to be successful on defense, get to the QB, period. See the Bucs in the playoffs.

I think this 23rd pick is really where the excitement is in the draft. 

Let’s say Creed, Newsome, Teven Jenkins and Bateman are available at 23.   Who do think is the best football player there?  It may be Newsome. Bid Newsome is gone, it’s probably Creed. 

I don’t see JD using a premium pick for a short WR.  I don’t think he takes the OLB 4-3.   I don’t think he reaches for a guard.  

8 hours ago, QB1 said:

Our secondary isn’t even average at this point.  Yes, we need a CB

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, riggy001 said:

2 things. I believe JD will sign Sherman right before or after draft, and i know this is not popular, but i really think he will trade down out of 23, either just a few spots and acquire a 3 , or down to the bottom of the 1st and acquire another 2.

Sherman’s just a 2nd or 3rd cb at this point.  We already have that in Hall and Austin

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Our secondary isn’t even average at this point.  Yes, we need a CB

It's OK to have a rebuilding below average unit for a year with no expectations if it means setting up your QB for 20 years of long term success. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, QB1 said:

It's OK to have a rebuilding below average unit for a year with no expectations if it means setting up your QB for 20 years of long term success. 

Set him up with what?  You aren’t fixing this OL with pick 23 unless Sewell or Slater magically fall to that spot

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, QB1 said:

What? CB is a premium position in the NFL. Jalen Ramsey was traded for two 1st round picks. Look what a shutdown CB can do for a defense like Jaire Alexander, or Tre’Davious White. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sherman’s just a 2nd or 3rd cb at this point.  We already have that in Hall and Austin

Sherman is still playing well, and knows Saleh’s system, austin and hall have not proved anything yet... 1 yr deal, get him in...and the 23rd pick can be used for. Ol , Te, etc...

20 hours ago, QB1 said:

As it was pointed out to you with the help of statistics, a top 10 Cornerback adds much more value to a team then a top 10 tackle or a top 10 IOL.  The matter of fact, is that a top 10 CB is worth almost 0.2 WAR on average then your top 10 OL (per PFF https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-positional-value-matters-in-the-nfl-draft). 

As opposed to the CB position, the efficiency of an OLineman is not measured based on the talent of one individual, but of the unit as a whole. No matter how talented you are, if the unit has weak spots, it doesn't make a difference for your quarterback if you are Joe Thomas or Mekhi Becton.

What you want, when building up the line, is consistency. And considering the depth of tackles and guards in this draft, it would be a mistake in my opinion, to draft one at 23, when you can bump the quality of your defense significantly with the addition of a cornerback.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

As it was pointed out to you with the help of statistics, a top 10 Cornerback adds much more value to a team then a top 10 tackle or a top 10 IOL.  The matter of fact, is that a top 10 CB is worth almost 0.2 WAR on average then your top 10 OL (per PFF https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-positional-value-matters-in-the-nfl-draft). 

As opposed to the CB position, the efficiency of an OLineman is not measured based on the talent of one individual, but of the unit as a whole. No matter how talented you are, if the unit has weak spots, it doesn't make a difference for your quarterback if you are Joe Thomas or Mekhi Becton.

What you want, when building up the line, is consistency. And considering the depth of tackles and guards in this draft, it would be a mistake in my opinion, to draft one at 23, when you can bump the quality of your defense significantly with the addition of a cornerback.

Face palm 

what have the WAR for a QB?

We need to build an OL to keep our #2 pick alive 

We need at least one day 1 starter on the line from this draft, we simply cannot afford to wait because of “depth” of the position

1 hour ago, Gramsci said:

Defense literally DOES NOT MATTER in this draft until day 3. If we draft Wilson we protect him and get him weapons. Period. We can draft corners next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

On 4/8/2021 at 4:28 PM, doitny said:

we just signed our 2nd OL . how many CBs has he signed? he might feel he address OL enough not to pick one early. same with WR. i believe CB is the only position he didnt sign anyone except keeping Guidry.

i think if fair to be worried going into the season with Hall, Austin and Guidry as our 3 CBs. 

i think JD would be worried too. i would not be surprised if #23 is a CB. or at worst 34

but JD can make this not such a pressing need if he signs a good CB. i think there might be a few left including Poole.

i believe Williams said he got an offer from us but it was similar to the others so he pick i think SF. JD cant be similar  he has to have the best offer or were not getting a good CB. 

or we can take a CB early.

Greg Newsome II should be sitting there and if he is, I think he will be the pick. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Defense literally DOES NOT MATTER in this draft until day 3. If we draft Wilson we protect him and get him weapons. Period. We can draft corners next year.

We actually we can do BOTH this year.  We can take a corner, a starting level OG, a developmental OL, a TE/WR/RB, and even another DB/CB, a LB and another developmental OG.  Don't we have like 9 picks?  We take a corner at 23 it is only because JD believes he can be a starter right out of the gate and has number 1 corner ability.   That doesn't exactly grow on trees.  Best case scenario for me would be to take Newsome 23 and the Creed Humphrey at 34.  Or vice versa. 

Edited by JetBlue

11 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

We actually we can do BOTH this year.  We can take a corner, a starting level OG, a developmental OL, a TE/WR/RB, and even another DB/CB, a LB and another developmental OG.  Don't we have like 9 picks?  We take a corner at 23 it is only because JD believes he can be a starter right out of the gate and has number 1 corner ability.   That doesn't exactly grow on trees.  Best case scenario for me would be to take Newsome 23 and the Creed Humphrey at 34.  Or vice versa. 

Don't agree. If CB is BAP trade down. We must protect Wilson. "Devlopmental" guards do not do that

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Don't agree. If CB is BAP trade down. We must protect Wilson. "Devlopmental" guards do not do that

I just said we draft a STARTING LEVEL GUARD AT 34 and take a DEVELOPMENTAL OL later.   What part of that didn't you see?  We already have last years 5th round pick Cam Clark with year under his belt and chomping at the bit to play.    Everyone was so high on him and just because Gase is a moron and never played the guy doesn't mean he all of sudden has become a non factor.   You would be crazy to "trade down" from drafting a true number 1 corner.   I am all for giving Wilson as much help as possible but there is talent through out the draft, especially OL talent in this draft, meanwhile CB talent is not nearly as deep.   

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If you can improve your defence significantly with he addition of 1 player, you do it imo.

You can add the same value to the OL with the following picks as you would with the 23rd. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2021 at 5:49 PM, riggy001 said:

I would love both of these moves.

I get that CB is a "position of need" but this defense plays so much zone coverage that it lessens the value of the position.  Do I think they will take a CB at some point, definitely but while the consensus is that there are 4/5 really good CBs in this draft, I think it would be smarter to trade back or take an OL at 23.

As for trading back, the talk of David Sills moving up really allows JD to move back from either 23 or 34 and get another valuable 2nd or 3rd round pick to solidify other positions.  

17 minutes ago, Barton said:

F this team if they go corner at 23. We need to surround Zack with talent and make him successful. 

Add a WR or take Creed Humphrey/O-lineman.

Even a do-it-all gadget weapon like Travis Etienne would be a huge piece to the puzzle for Zach to be successful. People forget that Etienne can be used as a weapon in the passing game both from the slot and out of the backfield.

A lot of talk about Rondale Moore, but I think Etienne is an equal talent and he's proven to be more durable and has high character.

On 4/8/2021 at 9:37 AM, Embrace the Suck said:

No, not at all. Everything should be about supporting the new QB. CB at 23 doesn't do that in anyway.

Of course it does.  Not having to score 30+ points a game would be a huge help to our young QB.

• Upvote 1