Are we really OK with going CB at #23?

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course it does.  Not having to score 30+ points a game would be a huge help to our young QB.

Huh? So you would rather us winning 19-13 slugfests, while our new and slightly built franchise QB is getting sacked 7 times?

This is your idea of what constitutes good for his growth or good for our future franchise? Just because we're getting the dub?

Honestly I would rather finish 5-12 if it meant Wilson staying upright and leading an offense that scores 30 per game. Get that in place and then you're rolling, and can upgrade the D in next year's FA.

• Post of the Week 1

On 4/8/2021 at 6:52 AM, Pointdexter said:

I kind of cringe with all of the trendy projections of us going CB with our 2nd first rd pick. Flashbacks of Dee Millner, Kyle Wilson, and the infamous double safety draft are haunting me when I read it.

Are we really going to start fresh with our brand new franchise QB at #2 and then turnaround and draft defense (again) with our first round pick, which otherwise could be used to help him??

Aren't we making the same mistakes of the past, and it's probably time to break the cycle?

And is anyone excited about the 4th cb off the board? How impact could that possibly be?

Lastly, I am on the record that we need to go offense primarily in this draft to make the commitment to Zach (the one we never did for Sam and broke him), however if we do go defense early at least be smart and get a pass rusher.

Rant over. Lol

This is one reason why I was kinda hoping we'd stick with Sam.I totally understand the drafting of Wilson and I'm on board with it but it would have given us extra draft picks if we'd traded down with our #2. At say #8 we pick up either a OL or elite CB like Tyson Campbell. Then you've got the #23 to go after a WR or which ever position you didn't go at #8. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Huh? So you would rather us winning 19-13 slugfests, while our new and slightly built franchise QB is getting sacked 7 times?

This is your idea of what constitutes good for his growth or good for our future franchise? Just because we're getting the dub?

Honestly I would rather finish 5-12 if it meant Wilson staying upright and leading an offense that scores 30 per game. Get that in place and then you're rolling, and can upgrade the D in next year's FA.

Where did I say any of this?  You know theres a whole lot or room between forcing your QB to play catch up and scoring 30+ per game and 19-13 pt slugfest.  How can you argue that trailing at the half by large margins doesnt effect the QB?  The game plan?  Forcing three and outs gives our young QB field position.  

Yes, my idea of what constitutes the best football team is to not ignore one side of the ball because fans want OL & WRs taken with every pick.  

I've been consistent.  We need a CB.  A top CB is harder to find lower in the draft than an OL.  Especially this draft where there is more OL help than CB.  I've been saying, for anyone who couldn't get past the idea that if a top CB falls to 23 and we take him, we still have plenty of picks and will use most of them on offense especially give the depth at OL in this draft

• Upvote 2

One way to make an offense struggle even further is to have them routinely trail therefore changing the game plan and switching to an aggressive play calling script.

Wilson being down 14-0 at the start of the 2nd drive isn't a healthy formula. With that said I hope we go into the draft completely open minded.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

54 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

We're going to keep drafting guys at important positions like CB until we get it right. You need quality corners in this league. If a CB who is a first round talent is there at 23, I'd have no problem drafting him.

I’m even open to drafting a linebacker Parsons at 23 if he falls.  Trade Mosely he doesn’t fit this defense.  Parson fits it like a glove

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

One way to make an offense struggle even further is to have them routinely trail therefore changing the game plan and switching to an aggressive play calling script.

Wilson being down 14-0 at the start of the 2nd drive isn't a healthy formula. With that said I hope we go into the draft completely open minded.

We have had a horror show at corner last several years starting with Idzik not signing anybody in 2014 despite having $30 million in cap room

our secondary has been abysmal ever since including when Adams was here.  And Jets fans wonder why we might draft a corner at 23?

I don't care how talented a corner is, if the QB has time and a clean pocket they will play pitch and catch down the field at will.

You can't stay in a receiver's hip pocket for more than a few seconds in this day and age. Not one on one. 

You want to make your corners look good, get a consistent pass rush, which is something the Jets haven't had in forever.

This idea of "let's get a great corner and that will make this team improved" thinking is nonsense. If we spend a premium draft resource on defense it better be for a proven difference maker at sacking the QB, or at least disrupting the pocket. Coupled with Lawson, it will be amazing how good we start to think Bless Austin and Bruce Hall are after all.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course it does.  Not having to score 30+ points a game would be a huge help to our young QB.

I disagree. When was the last time Revis blocked or caught passes? Yeah, no, a CB doesn't help the QB. Whereas not getting sacked consistently, not running for his life consistently, and having people to throw to does help the QB. Scoring 30 point is expected in this league (30 points on offense isn't an outlier game anymore). Holding a team to 21 while you struggle to score 14 is what this team has been doing for a decade and it has never helped the QB as the evidence (pick any game the Jets have played) shows.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I disagree. When was the last time Revis blocked or caught passes? Yeah, no, a CB doesn't help the QB. Whereas not getting sacked consistently, not running for his life consistently, and having people to throw to does help the QB. Scoring 30 point is expected in this league (30 points on offense isn't an outlier game anymore). Holding a team to 21 while you struggle to score 14 is what this team has been doing for a decade and it has never helped the QB as the evidence (pick any game the Jets have played) shows.

If you dont think a good D helps an offense and in turn a QB I dont know what to tell you.  Kind of football 101

Scoring 30 per isnt expected, only 5 teams did it.  

Who said they want a team that struggles to score 14 points?  Not me.  One more time, theres a huge gap between scoring 14 and scoring 30.  And also why do all of you think that taking a CB at 23 means youre ignoring the offense?  Did I miss where we have only 2 picks in this draft?  

Oh, and not realizing what a Revis type does for not only the D but the entire team is on you.  

I think you take the best player. Or trade down if you can't use him. But the Jets have so many 'needs'. 

I mean if the Jets drafted a productive CB who was a leader and productive, I'd be very happy. It would beat drafting a talented guy who we can't really use to his potential (Coples comes to mind).

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I don't care how talented a corner is, if the QB has time and a clean pocket they will play pitch and catch down the field at will.

And if the corners cover and the QB misses the opportunity to complete a pass and gets scared? 

Coverage sacks are part of the game.

Just now, phill1c said:

I think you take the best player. Or trade down if you can't use him. But the Jets have so many 'needs'. 

I mean if the Jets drafted a productive CB who was a leader and productive, I'd be very happy. It would beat drafting a talented guy who we can't really use to his potential (Coples comes to mind).

You look different today phill1c!!!!!!!!!

• Thumb Down 4

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If you dont think a good D helps an offense and in turn a QB I dont know what to tell you.  Kind of football 101

Scoring 30 per isnt expected, only 5 teams did it.  

Who said they want a team that struggles to score 14 points?  Not me.  One more time, theres a huge gap between scoring 14 and scoring 30.  And also why do all of you think that taking a CB at 23 means youre ignoring the offense?  Did I miss where we have only 2 picks in this draft?  

Oh, and not realizing what a Revis type does for not only the D but the entire team is on you.  

Eat up the cap and cause drama. I know what Revis did. He held down one guy that the other team ignored while every other WR beat us. My bad, the average was 25 points not 30 points in 2020 (I'm sure the Jets helped drag that average down); wow that changes everything. A good D can get the ball back, keep the score low, blah blah blah. It's the same type of rhetoric people were yelling at me in the late 90's early 2000's when I told them the game was changing and heading towards a passing league and they would shake their head as they smugly told me football was and always would be ground based (they finally caught on around 2010 once it was obvious). You don't have to say you want a team only scoring 14 points for that to be the outcome. I know D is important, but it isn't as important to add one CB vs adding talent for the new rookie QB. Or have we forgotten the last three years already and how having no talent on offense isn't good for any QB never mind a young guy/rookie? How did having QW help Sam last year despite his individual accolades? I'm aware there are more than two picks available to the Jets. I'm also aware they really only have one long term starter on the oline as Fant and McG are band-aids. If a CB fell that was a blue chip talent and the oline talent just wasn't there and there was not a TE or WR worthy available that would be different.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Eat up the cap and cause drama. I know what Revis did. He held down one guy that the other team ignored while every other WR beat us. My bad, the average was 25 points not 30 points in 2020 (I'm sure the Jets helped drag that average down); wow that changes everything. A good D can get the ball back, keep the score low, blah blah blah. It's the same type of rhetoric people were yelling at me in the late 90's early 2000's when I told them the game was changing and heading towards a passing league and they would shake their head as they smugly told me football was and always would be ground based (they finally caught on around 2010 once it was obvious). You don't have to say you want a team only scoring 14 points for that to be the outcome. I know D is important, but it isn't as important to add one CB vs adding talent for the new rookie QB. Or have we forgotten the last three years already and how having no talent on offense isn't good for any QB never mind a young guy/rookie? How did having QW help Sam last year despite his individual accolades? I'm aware there are more than two picks available to the Jets. I'm also aware they really only have one long term starter on the oline as Fant and McG are band-aids. If a CB fell that was a blue chip talent and the oline talent just wasn't there and there was not a TE or WR worthy available that would be different.

What are you talking about Revis and his contract?  What does that have to do with possibly drafting a CB with the 23rd pick?  If we get a corner as good as Revis, I'd gladly worry about his contract down the road.  Better than having someone who everyone knows isnt worth top $$.  I get it. you dont understand that shutting down one WR is huge, think its meaningless.  

Yeah, 5 points a game, a TD difference, and you shoo it aside like its not a big deal, lol.  

I stopped at this point.  But here's a reminder.  TB beat the Chiefs mostly due to their defense shutting Mahomes and the free wheeling Chiefs down.  

But seriously, have no idea why youre butt hurt over someone thinking defense means something and understands that a good defense is a help to the offense.  

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, 5 points a game, a TD difference, and you shoo it aside like its not a big deal, lol.  

There isn't a difference between 30 and 25 when the Jets struggle to score 20.

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I stopped at this point.  But here's a reminder.  TB beat the Chiefs mostly due to their defense shutting Mahomes and the free wheeling Chiefs down.  

The Chiefs lost because they lost half their oline and because of Brady scoring at will with an offense which was by no means not shy on talent.

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But seriously, have no idea why youre butt hurt over someone thinking defense means something and understands that a good defense is a help to the offense.  

I'm not butt hurt. Getting the offense the ball is great as long as the offense has the talent to do something with the ball.  

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What are you talking about Revis and his contract?  What does that have to do with possibly drafting a CB with the 23rd pick?

You asked if I knew what a guy like Revis does. I replied eat up the cap and cause drama. I also said he takes away one guy while the other guys beat us because they can just throw away from Revis. Part of that depth problem comes from paying a CB QB money.

17 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

There isn't a difference between 30 and 25 when the Jets struggle to score 20.

Its a TD difference.  But of course you take it that the offense should have to put up points that only 5 teams put up in 2021 and think the only way to make up the differential is for the offense to score more, dont think it should be a combo of better offense and better deffense.  Again no one is saying ignore the offense by saying if theres a top CB available at 23 take him, there are more than enough picks to address offense

The Chiefs lost because they lost half their oline and because of Brady scoring at will with an offense which was by no means not shy on talent.

And the Bucs defensed dominated them.  I dont deal with what could have beens.  A strong D no matter why, shuts down the Chiefs enough for the win in the SB.  Thats the take from the game.

You asked if I knew what a guy like Revis does. I replied eat up the cap and cause drama. I also said he takes away one guy while the other guys beat us because they can just throw away from Revis. Part of that depth problem comes from paying a CB QB money.

Revis didnt add any drama that hurt the team, just message boards.  His cap cost was well worth it when he was playing like Revis.  I'm not arguing with you that Revis didnt add to the Jets, wish we were able to add that kind of player @ 23

Listen this is fun and all but youre so far away from the point.  Youre making this as a debate between offense and defense.  One more time the point was that if a top CB is available at 23 take him.  Thats it, plain and simple.  There are a lot of draftable, starting OL that can he had at 34.  Far fewer cbs.  If one slides, take him.  Youre making this into a preference of D over O and its not even close to that.

• Upvote 1

Here is another way to look at it:

The Buccaneers just won the Super Bowl.  Their two starting CBs were second round draft picks-Sean Murphy-Bunting and Carlton Davis.

The Chiefs' two starting cornerbacks in the Super Bowl were Charvarious Ward (UDFA) and Breshaud Breeland (4th round by WFT-he has been around.

I agree with others here-based on the FA market, the positions to draft high are OL, EDGE, WR, and QB, obviously.  

On 4/8/2021 at 6:52 AM, Pointdexter said:

I kind of cringe with all of the trendy projections of us going CB with our 2nd first rd pick. Flashbacks of Dee Millner, Kyle Wilson, and the infamous double safety draft are haunting me when I read it.

Are we really going to start fresh with our brand new franchise QB at #2 and then turnaround and draft defense (again) with our first round pick, which otherwise could be used to help him??

Aren't we making the same mistakes of the past, and it's probably time to break the cycle?

And is anyone excited about the 4th cb off the board? How impact could that possibly be?

Lastly, I am on the record that we need to go offense primarily in this draft to make the commitment to Zach (the one we never did for Sam and broke him), however if we do go defense early at least be smart and get a pass rusher.

Rant over. Lol

Yes CB. Reasons are numerous.  JD spent bucks on a WR Davis and Cole and we have Mims and Crowder, if we keep him.  We are set this year with that group as our go to guys. He'll hopefully pick up a joystick WR later in the draft like Eskridge.   JD signed Lawson to big bucks so we finally have a 'premier' edge.  That's another position we can wait on after in the draft - round 4 Sleeper (Elerson Smith).  Our weakest position is at CB.  Surtain, Farley and Horn will likely be gone leaving Newsome as the next best CB and he should be there @ 23 but more than likely will be gone by 34. After Newman, the CB's fall into the 2nd tier.  We can afford to wait until 34 for an OLineman. The draft is stupid deep at the OL position with excellent Guards, Centers and Tackles, OH MY!  JD could even trade back @ 34 and get an extra pick and still get quality OLinemen in this draft.  

Did a  PFN mock with 1 trade back in late round

Qb Zach, CB Newsome, LB Collins, RT Spenser Brown, Edge Elerson Smith, WR Stevenson, RB Hubbard, C Trey Hill, Barnes LB, 

17 hours ago, Barton said:

Are some of you guys crazy? We just watched Darnold fail partly because he lacked protection AND weapons......and you want to use a 1st rd pick on a corner?

How about this? All offense the first 3 rds. 

Good idea. And we can just send the offense out there to play defense because they'd probably be more effective.

• Upvote 1

The Buccaneers just won the Super Bowl.  Their two starting CBs were second round draft picks-Sean Murphy-Bunting and Carlton Davis.
The Chiefs' two starting cornerbacks in the Super Bowl were Charvarious Ward (UDFA) and Breshaud Breeland (4th round by WFT-he has been around.
I agree with others here-based on the FA market, the positions to draft high are OL, EDGE, WR, and QB, obviously.  
Cause that tells the whole story .... who were dem QBs again ???

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, varjet said:

What round did we draft Revis in?

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2021 at 10:07 AM, Gramsci said:

Why wouldn't we draft a CB if it is the best player available at tha point considering that the OL class is pretty deep?

Bryce Hall and Bless Hall are not enough. 

Screenshot_20210409_000402_com.android.chrome.jpg

We're interpreting this differently. What I see here is that the QB, by far and away, is the most important player tied to wins and losses on the football team. What positional group is most tied to the QB's success on the field? Offensive line. So if you fail to protect the QB he will not be successful which will then lead to losses. What will cause more losses,  bad QB play or bad CB play? The chart you are trumpeting already gave that answer. 

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

What round did we draft Revis in?

In the defense Saleh runs a #1 CB is not necessary. You can find very good zone CB's later in the draft. The man to man cover guys go early, that's not what Saleh asks his CB's to do very often. The Legion of Boom CB's were Sherman (5th rd), Browner (undrafted) and Saleh runs a very similar defense. The CB's value in this defense is secondary to a good pass rush and cover lbers. Drafting a man to man CB early would be wasteful considering that's not the style of defense that's going to be implemented here.

The Jets should be looking for big CB's that can tackle. A guy like Bless Austin who struggles in man to man but can tackle is going to be a very good fit for this defense in my opinion. This defense will accentuate his strengths. That also may be why they're not so worried about bringing in a veteran. 

Here are some mid rd CB's that the Jets should be looking at based on a zone scheme fit:

Israel Mukuamu, South Carolina, 3rd-5th

Marco Wilson, Florida 3rd-5th

Deommodore Lenoir, Oregon 4th-6th

Keith Taylor, Washington 4th-6th

Thomas Graham, Oregon 4th-6th

23 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Lol the binary options of those ridiculous extremes are the two reality-based outcomes to choose from? And further, those results will solely be based on whether or not we’re “smart” enough to draft & start two rookies instead of one on a zbl to protect a rookie QB? Please tell me you’re just trolling for kicks & don’t really believe that.

They’re not drafting a fantasy football roster where continuity has no value at all. Two rookies are unlikely to yield an immediately better pass-protecting (or overall) OL. Never mind the handicap of rating all these prospects based on last year’s covid-limited college season, to a process that’s never been 100% in the first place.

The one starter from a guard competition winner among 3+ veterans - two of them returning - isn’t going to be the single worst starting lineman in the league history, any more than a rookie from slot 23 is likely to immediately play like a veteran 1st ballot HOFer. 

And as a bonus side effect, by going OL-OL at both 23 and 34, the team will also be weaker elsewhere (corner, edge, etc.), making our offense more one-dimensional and easier to defend by/in the second half.

My brother, please tell me you don’t seriously believe that starting a second rookie on a ZB OL will have such immediate returns it’ll instantly transform the 2021 Jets from a 19 ppg offense into a 30 ppg offense. Actually hear what you’re saying.

7 sacks per game, lol. Even when there were 5 new faces, frequent OL injuries, frequent WR injuries, an offensive design that required everything to be just-right to work, and a jittery/hesitant QB with issues of his own, all that led to 43 sacks on the season. But now a year later, after swapping out 2020’s worst starting G with a higher-pick rookie, while maintaining continuity among 3-4 of the starting OL, plus simplifying the offense for the QB, and further improving the receiving talent, Wilson will get sacked twice as often?

BUT the Jets can avoid all that mess, and will instead have a top-5 offense scoring 30 ppg, if we start two rookie OLmen instead of just one. Lol.

Climb down from the ledge. ;) 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol the binary options of those ridiculous extremes are the two reality-based outcomes to choose from? And further, those results will solely be based on whether or not we’re “smart” enough to draft & start two rookies instead of one on a zbl to protect a rookie QB? Please tell me you’re just trolling for kicks & don’t really believe that.

They’re not drafting a fantasy football roster where continuity has no value at all. Two rookies are unlikely to yield an immediately better pass-protecting (or overall) OL. Never mind the handicap of rating all these prospects based on last year’s covid-limited college season, to a process that’s never been 100% in the first place.

The one starter from a guard competition winner among 3+ veterans - two of them returning - isn’t going to be the single worst starting lineman in the league history, any more than a rookie from slot 23 is likely to immediately play like a veteran 1st ballot HOFer. 

And as a bonus side effect, by going OL-OL at both 23 and 34, the team will also be weaker elsewhere (corner, edge, etc.), making our offense more one-dimensional and easier to defend by/in the second half.

My brother, please tell me you don’t seriously believe that starting a second rookie on a ZB OL will have such immediate returns it’ll instantly transform the 2021 Jets from a 19 ppg offense into a 30 ppg offense. Actually hear what you’re saying.

7 sacks per game, lol. Even when there were 5 new faces, frequent OL injuries, frequent WR injuries, an offensive design that required everything to be just-right to work, and a jittery/hesitant QB with issues of his own, all that led to 43 sacks on the season. But now a year later, after swapping out 2020’s worst starting G with a higher-pick rookie, while maintaining continuity among 3-4 of the starting OL, plus simplifying the offense for the QB, and further improving the receiving talent, Wilson will get sacked twice as often?

BUT the Jets can avoid all that mess, and will instead have a top-5 offense scoring 30 ppg, if we start two rookie OLmen instead of just one. Lol.

Climb down from the ledge. ;) 

What will help Zach Wilson more, an interior offensive lineman at 23 or a CB?

We both know the answer to that. 

This team can not fail at building around their young QB again. And i'm telling everybody right now that Salehs defense does not value CB's enough to use a 1st rd pick on one. It's not happening. They will add a mid round pick and a vet after the draft and that's it. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

The idea here is you won't be down 14-0 because you have a good offense.

On 4/8/2021 at 6:58 AM, sec143dmf said:

How do you know how the draft will fall today almost 3 weeks before hand?  Am I ok  drafting cb if that’s the way the board falls??  Yes.  At the end of the day you help your QB on both sides of the ball. If your defense gives up 30 points you Jane your QB playing from behind trying to force plays and turning the bal over. So while I’d love an OL as well if the teams before us draft the top notch guys and a quality CB is there then draft them. 

Like you said, the #23 should be BAP at CB. IOL, or even Edge rusher. While we all would like to focus our first 4-5 picks on O it is not real practical if when the pick comes up the BAP D player is rated much higher of a player then the BAP O player.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

What will help Zach Wilson more, an interior offensive lineman at 23 or a CB?

We both know the answer to that. 

This team can not fail at building around their young QB again. And i'm telling everybody right now that Salehs defense does not value CB's enough to use a 1st rd pick on one. It's not happening. They will add a mid round pick and a vet after the draft and that's it. 

I don't at all think we "know the answer to that," which is the crux of my point.

It's being blindly assumed that an iOL at #23 is going to help much better than an iOL taken at #34. My guess is they'll be pretty close, and even if the prospect at #23 is better there isn't going to be the type of night & day difference expected between Sewell and a consensus 2nd round tackle, or Pitts and a 2nd round TE.

On top of that, it's being further assumed that drafting a second guard is going to help immediately while both are rookie starters, and that out of the gate that'll yield a superior OL vs. one rookie + one veteran. I don't even think that is a true statement outright, let alone to a "we both know the answer to that" degree. 

Long term? Sure, big duh better OL prospects tend to turn into better OLmen. 

Short term? The line is not necessarily better,  especially when it's a team-unit OL (zone) not a guard just manning up on the DT opposite him. The responsibility is greater with the former. It's one of the key reasons when a team first commits to converting a much greater percentage of snaps as a zbl. there's an initial learning-curve & cohesiveness step backwards before then (hopefully) gaining two steps forward.

I'm definitely not the expert - or even an expert - on this draft class, but my understanding is that the dropoff from #23 to #34 is likely to be much lesser at G than it is to be at CB or EDGE, based on this class's greater positional depth at iOL. Put another way, it's not like there are just 2 or 3 awesome iOL prospects, followed by a steep dropoff where all the rest are garbage or at best are huge projects.