Jump to content

Are we really OK with going CB at #23?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You pick the best player available, if that turns out to be at a position of need GREAT and CB is a big position of need. We arguably have only one starting CB at the moment in Hall. If we go OL

I kind of cringe with all of the trendy projections of us going CB with our 2nd first rd pick. Flashbacks of Dee Millner, Kyle Wilson, and the infamous double safety draft are haunting me when I read

Ya. CB is the biggest need on this roster by a country mile. We at least have placeholders at OL, there is nothing of note at CB.

Posted Images

On 4/11/2021 at 1:37 PM, choon328 said:

In the defense Saleh runs a #1 CB is not necessary. You can find very good zone CB's later in the draft. The man to man cover guys go early, that's not what Saleh asks his CB's to do very often. The Legion of Boom CB's were Sherman (5th rd), Browner (undrafted) and Saleh runs a very similar defense. The CB's value in this defense is secondary to a good pass rush and cover lbers. Drafting a man to man CB early would be wasteful considering that's not the style of defense that's going to be implemented here.

The Jets should be looking for big CB's that can tackle. A guy like Bless Austin who struggles in man to man but can tackle is going to be a very good fit for this defense in my opinion. This defense will accentuate his strengths. That also may be why they're not so worried about bringing in a veteran. 

The 49ers secondary has way more talent than ours.  To say Saleh’s defense doesn’t need good coverage DBs is false

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The 49ers secondary has way more talent than ours.  To say Saleh’s defense doesn’t need good coverage DBs is false

So which one of these CB's from their lineup lineup last year were premium picks made by SF or #1 CBs right now:

Richard Sherman (5th Round by Seattle 2011)

Akhiello Witherspoon (3rd round by SF 2018))

Jason Verrett (2014 1st rd pick by SD)

Emmanuel Moseley (undrafted by SF 2018)

K'Wuan Williams (undrafted by Cleveland 2015)

Dontae Johnson (4th rd pick by SF 2014)

DJ Reed (5th rd by SF 2018)

Tim Harris (6th rd 2020)

So 5 CBs on the roster

 

In the 4 years Saleh was DC for the 49ers they used a: 3rd, 5th and 6th rd picks on CB's while having an aging Sherman and Verrett.

In fact in the 2020 draft they only used a 6th rd pick on a CB while having a 33 yr old CB in Sherman and Verrett, coming off missing 2019.

Tell me again how Saleh is going to want to use premium assets on a CB in the draft. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The more i think of it, other than QB, the second glaring hole that's missing in the premium positions is #1CB. Hall might be that guy, Bless...who knows, but one this is for sure, there's no guy on this roster that's slated as our #1 as of yet. There's no free agent out there either.

I wouldn't be surprised if JD uses his #23 pick for a CB

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, the defense doesnt matter in 2021. You guys are worried about fielding a good defense - but guess what? It doesnt matter. We arent winning a superbowl with a rookie QB anyways. The only thing that matters is developing Zach Wilson.

The Jets need to do EVERYTHING they can to help Zach Wilson succeed from day 1.

Joe Douglas should be fired if he takes a defensive player at 23. Seriously.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets cannot make the same mistakes they did with Darnold and fail to provide him with legitimate help on offense.  This draft has to be entirely focused on offense in the early rounds IMO.  I would like to see picks #23 and #34 used for a RB and OL in that order.    

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If the Jets use any more high picks on DL or DB's over the next 30 years, I am going to be very upset about that. And I will write posts explaining just how upset I am.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Barton said:

Guys, the defense doesnt matter in 2021. You guys are worried about fielding a good defense - but guess what? It doesnt matter. We arent winning a superbowl with a rookie QB anyways. The only thing that matters is developing Zach Wilson.

The Jets need to do EVERYTHING they can to help Zach Wilson succeed from day 1.

Joe Douglas should be fired if he takes a defensive player at 23. Seriously.

 

 

This is 100% correct.  

I couldn't agree more with every word.  Specifically the bolded!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, choon328 said:

So which one of these CB's from their lineup lineup last year were premium picks made by SF or #1 CBs right now:

Richard Sherman (5th Round by Seattle 2011)

Akhiello Witherspoon (3rd round by SF 2018))

Jason Verrett (2014 1st rd pick by SD)

Emmanuel Moseley (undrafted by SF 2018)

K'Wuan Williams (undrafted by Cleveland 2015)

Dontae Johnson (4th rd pick by SF 2014)

DJ Reed (5th rd by SF 2018)

Tim Harris (6th rd 2020)

So 5 CBs on the roster

 

In the 4 years Saleh was DC for the 49ers they used a: 3rd, 5th and 6th rd picks on CB's while having an aging Sherman and Verrett.

In fact in the 2020 draft they only used a 6th rd pick on a CB while having a 33 yr old CB in Sherman and Verrett, coming off missing 2019.

Tell me again how Saleh is going to want to use premium assets on a CB in the draft. 

Saleh can use premium picks or he can use free agency (he hasn’t so far since nobody wants to come here)


You can say whatever you want if we are relying on Bless Austin to be a number 1 cover corner next season expect the usual annual Jet debacle where we are tanking again by week 2 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets cannot make the same mistakes they did with Darnold and fail to provide him with legitimate help on offense.  This draft has to be entirely focused on offense in the early rounds IMO.  I would like to see picks #23 and #34 used for a RB and OL in that order.    

JD signed Davis which is a good signing but not enough.  This Oline is still bottom 3 in the league, no depth at WR and no legit TE on the roster.  Lack of WR depth killed is last year — Chris freakin Hogan was our WR1 the first month of the season

 

But man are loaded at slot

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Saleh can use premium picks or he can use free agency (he hasn’t so far since nobody wants to come here)


You can say whatever you want if we are relying on Bless Austin to be a number 1 cover corner next season expect the usual annual Jet debacle where we are tanking again by week 2 

Developing Zach Wilson is all that matters next year.  
That should be their first, second and third priority- worry about defense and winning after that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Developing Zach Wilson is all that matters next year.  
That should be their first, second and third priority- worry about defense and winning after that.  

It will be great development for him to constantly play in garbage time

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drafting a DB in the first round after taking a quarterback at #2 would be a disaster. It would be a complete lack of awareness by Douglas who should be trying to build around the quarterback and putting him in the best possible situation to succeed.

Bryce Hall and Bless Austin are young, talented players perfectly capable of being starters in the NFL. They will be just fine if the Jets can generate any type of pass rush this season. The Jets can certainly add a CB in the draft, but please not in the first round.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am fine with it as long as we spend a good amount of the next three picks on interior lineman.  Listen.  I know how hard #1 CB's are to get and groom.  It makes sense to use the pick when we have it for something like that.  But we need interior OL just as bad.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...