Brian Hoyer talking with Jets Today

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the Jets go into the season with Zippy Wilson, Brian Horror, and Cpt Morgan they haven't learned sht.

I know this board has a collective obsession with terrible QBs, but even for you guys, pounding the table for 36-year-old, one-legged Alex Smith is really something

What does Brian Hoyer actually provide?  Is it literally just "we must have a guy who has started a few NFL games"? Moves like this just always boggle my mind.  He seems to bring nothing to the t

Posted Images

Looks like the Jets have their veteran backup and mentor type.

Would have preferred Alex Smith, but he's going to be expensive. Hoyer will be cheap and knows the backup role very well.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Not thrilled with this, give me Alex Smith 

Eh.  Not the best, but not the worst choice.  He knows the Shanny system very well.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Did Mullens sign anywhere? 

I think he's still rehabbing from injury, which is probably why the Niners didn't tender him and also explains his slow market.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'd rather Alex Smith if he is interested in still playing.

Sign Smith for 10 mil if necessary.  You can't bet your whole season on Richie Rich ffs.  He probably should sit a year.

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I mean, you haven't learned that you're terrible with nicknames, but keep going back to the well, so it seems to be an epidemic.

Jealousy is a wasted emotion.  

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Eh.  Not the best, but not the worst choice.  He knows the Shanny system very well.

Yea I agree, Hoyer doesn't really get me excited but I think he'd fit the backup roll well. No reason to spend a ton on a backup if we don't really expect a deep run.

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, Pac said:

Jealousy is a wasted emotion.  

The best way to respond to an insult about your creativity is always to steal someone else's line. @JiF

• Haha 2
39 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Looks like the Jets have their veteran backup and mentor type.

Would have preferred Alex Smith, but he's going to be expensive. Hoyer will be cheap and knows the backup role very well.

Who cares what he costs.  The most important thing for the Jets going forward is that the next QB they draft 2nd overall is the QB for the next 10-15 years, not to mention the large amount of cap space we had.  Oh and it’s not our money who cares.

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I agree, Hoyer doesn't really get me excited but I think he'd fit the backup roll well. No reason to spend a ton on a backup if we don't really expect a deep run.

Forget about a deep run how about watchable football?

I just learned that Horrors real first name is Axel so I guess thats kinda cool.

That said he has 500 total yards passing the last 3 years.  Anointing Zippy the starting job before hes even drafted would be another in the long line if Jet QB blunders.

Sign Alex Smith!  The Jets would likely need him to play this year.

• Upvote 3

Meh....we are two years away from competing for the playoffs.  Why bring in a back up who is going to win games and cost us very valuable draft position next year.

But anticipating a much improved team by 2022, we better get someone better by then.

• Upvote 2

Not a hoyer fan, but i understand the idea. Vet to help Wilson along, and will be very inexpensive. As someone pointed out, morgan could still win back-up, and Hoyer is vet in qb room.This would just impact White.

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The best way to respond to an insult about your creativity is always to steal someone else's line. @JiF

And a bad one at that lol

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Would have preferred Alex Smith, but he's going to be expensive.

Why is that a concern, dont we have plenty of cap space ?

• Upvote 1

Most would hate this move but it makes sense. A backup that can start a game or two.  Dirt cheap.  Tons of experience to impart and familiarity with the new offensive system though he had to be benched for Beathard. It’s Wilson or bust with this move.  Or they actually think Morgan can compete.

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What does Brian Hoyer actually provide?  Is it literally just "we must have a guy who has started a few NFL games"?

Moves like this just always boggle my mind.  He seems to bring nothing to the table, his "mentorship" seems vastly over-rated to me (if it were Brett Favre or Tom Brady, sure, maybe, but Brian Hoyer?  Really? It's McCown and Darnold all over again).

He won't win anything if he has to play, and he has no future here after the first year.

If Wilson needs a mentor, hire a Coach.

If we want a backup who won't win, we already got Morgan.

I'll just never agree with wasting a QB roster spot on an old loser backup.  The traditional conservativism of NFL teams continues.  

So guys are really good backups, reason why McCown and Daniel's have hung around the league so long. My guess is Hoyer is being thought of in the same mold.

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I know this board has a collective obsession with terrible QBs, but even for you guys, pounding the table for 36-year-old, one-legged Alex Smith is really something

A 1 legged QB who was 5-1 as a starter last year completing nearly 70% of his passes.

Go back to bed.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, CTM said:

The concern seems to be not to create any “QB controversy” if I understand it correct. So no one that could “compete”will be anywhere near the new Golden Boy. 

2BBAABC0-33EA-4C4C-9CFE-CDA7E67A8068.gif

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, CTM said:

The Jets' recent MO is not to pay big money for a backup QB. I'd expect that to continue.

We aren't a contender this year, so paying for a top-tier backup won't be a priority. The backup QB will primarily be a sounding board for Wilson, and Hoyer is apparently good in that role. Brady has spoken highly of Hoyer's value in the film room.

• Upvote 2
56 minutes ago, Pac said:

If the Jets go into the season with Zippy Wilson, Brian Horror, and Cpt Morgan they haven't learned sht.

You're right...They should call Texas and see if Watson is available for a 3rd, and see if they can get Brees to come out of retirement and back him up.  Maybe kick the tires on Josh Allen while they are at it.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Who cares what he costs.  The most important thing for the Jets going forward is that the next QB they draft 2nd overall is the QB for the next 10-15 years, not to mention the large amount of cap space we had.  Oh and it’s not our money who cares.

I don't care what he costs, but the Jets will. They are not going to pay big money for a backup QB in a rebuilding year. They will save the cap space for other positions, or roll over to next year.

• Upvote 3