Brian Hoyer talking with Jets Today

24 minutes ago, British Jet said:

For those wanting Alex Smith, he has no interest in being a backup, or a "mentor". He wants to start games. He'll want to be paid as such. 

Well, these are Jets fans.  Everyone presumes that every player wants to play here, and its always the GM's fault when we don't sign every available player.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I guess because Hoyer was with SF in 2017 he's the choice?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12477/brian-hoyer

If he does come in its pretty obvious Wilson will be the day 1 starter,

Smith here would've made it a legit camp competition 

Dude smith can’t even walk straight I don’t think he’s any better than Hoyer at this point.  Guy like minshew would be legit competition 

25 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Most would hate this move but it makes sense. A backup that can start a game or two.  Dirt cheap.  Tons of experience to impart and familiarity with the new offensive system though he had to be benched for Beathard. It’s Wilson or bust with this move.  Or they actually think Morgan can compete.

Yeah, jets are winning no more than 5 games next yr, so if Wilson were to get hurt and have to miss many games, they likely play Morgan, if its a series or two, or a game , likely Hoyer. At least, that  Should be plan.

22 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

You're right...They should call Texas and see if Watson is available for a 3rd, and see if they can get Brees to come out of retirement and back him up.  Maybe kick the tires on Josh Allen while they are at it.

Hardy har har.  

Not sure what that has to do with a street free agent.

4 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

you say this as if anyone who made previous QB decisions for this team is still here... who's learning what?

Johnson can strongly suggest adding a viable backup qb and not putting all this seasons eggs in the boy band basket.

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Not thrilled with this, give me Alex Smith 

Alex Smith likely wants to go somewhere he can beat out an incumbent or have a chance to win a SB. Coming here to mentor Wilson is not going to be high on his list of choices imo. 

The Texans are a reported landing spot for Smith which makes sense for him since he can beat out Taylor. 

• Upvote 2

A couple of Hoyer clips from 2020 (with the Cheats) and 2019 (with the Colts).

Actually looks better than I expected. There's still some zip in his passes, and he throws some very nice balls. He also throws a horrendous interception in the 2020 clip, but I guess that's why he's a backup:

• Upvote 1

For the guys saying they want alex smith, if we signed him, he'd likely be signed to be the week 1 starter while the new QB sits back and learns. Alex smith has never been a full time back up and probably isn't willing to do so with everything he's been through to get back on the field. Additionally, I'd find it hard to believe that with how long he's been in the league and the money he has made, that he'd want to come to a team that's been completely gutted and has little to no proven talent. This situation isn't ideal...He'd be better off trying to land with a team like the bears or the dolphins where there is a chance he can take over at some point and the team is talented enough to compete.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Eh.  Not the best, but not the worst choice.  He knows the Shanny system very well.

He did play for the 49ers a few years ago, so will know the system to help guide the new QB  with. Should be good, as an added bonus maybe he can help with game plans against NE since he has been there for the past 3 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Well, these are Jets fans.  Everyone presumes that every player wants to play here, and its always the GM's fault when we don't sign every available player.

The first question on his visit.  Do you want to play for the Jets?  If the answer is yes, don't sign him.  No is the correct and only answer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pac said:

If the Jets go into the season with Zippy Wilson, Brian Horror, and Cpt Morgan they haven't learned sht.

The QB doesn't matter.

In 2020 Joe Douglas had 26 JAG's on 1-year contracts and it looks like his 2021 strategy is to use FA and the draft to replace 6 of them and have 20 JAG's on 1-year contracts.   It's a wonderful strategy if you want a 10 year rebuild and completely trust the guy picking the players.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

A couple of Hoyer clips from 2020 (with the Cheats) and 2019 (with the Colts).

Actually looks better than I expected. There's still some zip in his passes, and he throws some very nice balls. He also throws a horrendous interception in the 2020 clip, but I guess that's why he's a backup:

When are people going to learn that everyone looks good in their highlights . . . everyone. They are, after all, highlights. 

Hoyer is terrible. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Alex Smith wants to start.   He will not be will to just come in a help teach a rookie.  
I understand people want the rookie to earn playing time but there is a huge need for a older back up/teacher in the room.  

No there's not.  This teacher is called a "coach."  I never understood this old back up/mentor crap.  That's the job of the QB coach.  And the Jets are not competing for a SB, so there is no need to spend $ on an experienced top flight back up, nor is there incentive for such a back up to come here.  McCown was supposedly a great mentor and here we are drafting another young QB.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

No there's not.  This teacher is called a "coach."  I never understood this old back up/mentor crap.  That's the job of the QB coach.  And the Jets are not competing for a SB, so there is no need to spend $ on an experienced top flight back up, nor is there incentive for such a back up to come here.  McCown was supposedly a great mentor and here we are drafting another young QB.  

Sam had his best year when McCown was doing his homework.