Brian Hoyer talking with Jets Today

teams need at least 3 QBs on the roster.  signing someone like hoyer does not mean morgan won't get a shot to compete for the backup spot.    but at the least, it gives the jets at least 1 QB who has actually played a snap in the nfl on their roster.

geez - jets fans will complain about anything.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

When are people going to learn that everyone looks good in their highlights . . . everyone. They are, after all, highlights. 

Yes, I am aware of this.

I just meant that Hoyer - specifically the zip on his passes - looks better than I expected, which isn't really glowing praise.

If he signs, which I expect he will, hopefully he never has to take a meaningful snap. His role is to hold a clipboard and help out the rookie in the film room.

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The QB doesn't matter.

In 2020 Joe Douglas had 26 JAG's on 1-year contracts and it looks like his 2021 strategy is to use FA and the draft to replace 6 of them and have 20 JAG's on 1-year contracts.   It's a wonderful strategy if you want a 10 year rebuild and completely trust the guy picking the players.

SAR I

Jury is still out but I have yet to see all this supposed awesomeness from JD manifest itself.

Hes made more questionable to bad decisions than good ones so far.  Hes got 2 years to stock up..  lets see what he's got.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Ideally you'd want the "mentor" to be someone who has started in the league at some point.  Has Hoyer actually started more than a few games (asking because I don't know)?  On the other hand a guy like Smith might still want to start and not take the mentoring role too seriously because he sees the rookie as his competition.  

5 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Ideally you'd want the "mentor" to be someone who has started in the league at some point.  Has Hoyer actually started more than a few games (asking because I don't know)?  On the other hand a guy like Smith might still want to start and not take the mentoring role too seriously because he sees the rookie as his competition.  

He spent some time as a starter for Cleveland, and some time as a starter for Houston.

He's had some spot starts for other teams (Cheats, Bears, Niners, Colts) but has otherwise been a backup for most of his career.

Definitely not the best option, but not the worst either - he's been around, and is familiar with the Shanahan type scheme.

7 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Yes, I am aware of this.

I just meant that Hoyer - specifically the zip on his passes - looks better than I expected, which isn't really glowing praise.

If he signs, which I expect he will, hopefully he never has to take a meaningful snap. His role is to hold a clipboard and help out the rookie in the film room.

Hire him as an offensive assistant coach if that's all you want him for. 

Don't bring him in as the primary backup QB because he's awful. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Looks like the Jets have their veteran backup and mentor type.

Would have preferred Alex Smith, but he's going to be expensive. Hoyer will be cheap and knows the backup role very well.

Don't like that leg injury for Smith.  He is a walking miracle.  I wish he would retire and just enjoy life.  Hoyer works for me.  Anybody but Sam.  Lol

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

I guess because Hoyer was with SF in 2017 he's the choice?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12477/brian-hoyer

If he does come in its pretty obvious Wilson will be the day 1 starter,

Smith here would've made it a legit camp competition 

A QB drafted at #2 OA should immediately be named the starter and receive all the rep's and be ready to go from day one.

If Wilson can't beat out an old backup vet then JD made a poor decision. Factor in the rookie pay scale and JD saying that he reset the clock I'd be very disappointed if Wilson didn't start right away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

Alex Smith is looking to start, from what I've read he isn't looking to be someone's mentor.

But we could sign Alex Smith for $10MM. Don't you realize? ;) 

Honestly I'd have been ok with it, but I'm not screaming about it. Also yeah the player has to also want to come here -- in our case that  likely requires absolute guarantees that Wilson(?) will be riding the pine all year, which no GM would do before getting a look at him in practices with the team. Those whining over it are not likeminded with the FO, since the latter actually likes Wilson.

Smith's better off just waiting around for someone to get injured. As likely as not he may end up QBing a playoff team whose starter went on IR. It's one thing for them to go to the QB2 for 1-3 weeks midseason; it's another thing when the QB1 is out for the rest of the year, and then Smith might look pretty good to them. Anyway, standing on the sideline and betting on 1 of 20+ teams' starters to get injured are better odds than if he's betting which team(s) it'll be by signing with one now.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Says the guy calling the likely new QB Richie Rich in the post above this

Whether or not you care to acknowledge it, there is a direct correlation between the circumstances one was raised in and how they deal with adversity.  That is what the moniker is eluding to.

Could Zippy be an outlier - of course.  Doesn't mean I'm not skeptical.

Hoyer is not good.  That is why he is a career back-up.  If he were one of the 32 best QBs int eh league he would start.  But the guy has started 39 games in an NFL career.  16-23 in those 39 games with a QBR of 82 foir his career.  Competent for a back up.  The advantage of Hoyer rather than Morgan/White is that we know he is capable of running an NFL offense.  We have other young guys on offense that we want to develop.  Becton, Mims, Ty Johnson, other rookies to be drafted this month. 

If Wilson gets hurt or is not ready week 1, Hoyer is a guy who can run an NFL offense and at least give some other young guys a chance to develop. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Hire him as an offensive assistant coach if that's all you want him for. 

Don't bring him in as the primary backup QB because he's awful. 

You can't go into camp with a QB room that has thrown a grand total of zero NFL passes.

Adding Hoyer brings some NFL experience that the young guys can inevitably learn from.

He might not even be the #1 backup. There's every chance the Jets give Morgan and White the chance to win that job in pre-season.

This move, if it happens, is about adding veteran insurance to complement the very young QB room.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

Whether or not you care to acknowledge it, there is a direct correlation between the circumstances one was raised in and how they deal with adversity.  That is what the moniker is eluding to.

Nah, you’re just jealous.

Hoyer is freaking terrible but I'm sure he knows the system etc. 

I personally would not touch a multiple time and long time Patriot or have one in the QB room.  No way, no how.

Can we amend the James Morgan thread to read "We used a 4th rounder on a 3rd stringer" instead of "We used a 4th rounder on a backup?"

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Pac said:

Yeah those Manning boys were sure scraping by at the poverty level all through their childhoods. Good call. 

Believe it or not, every one of these first round draft pick QBs has had his ass kissed and licked for years.

Teach me more about the ways of the world, though.

33 minutes ago, Pac said:

Jury is still out but I have yet to see all this supposed awesomeness from JD manifest itself.

Hes made more questionable to bad decisions than good ones so far.  Hes got 2 years to stock up..  lets see what he's got.

This years FA pick ups and the draft will go a long way towards determining JD's competence as a GM. He bet the farm on Wilson and had better make very good picks with #23 and #34 and at least one of the 3rd round picks.

If Wilson busts or JD doesn't give the kid a chance to succeed due to a lack of supporting cast talent then JD's on his way to the Idzak and Macc train out of town.

22 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If Wilson can't beat out an old backup vet then JD made a poor decision.

John Elway couldn't hold off DeBerg in his rookie season, did Denver make a mistake?

Marino couldn't beat out Woodley, did Miami make a mistake?

Its not how you start out, its how you finish

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

17 minutes ago, Pac said:

He was raised by a father who was a set made man.  He was raised to go out and work

That his uncle may be rich is a lame reason for concern.  Almost as lame as being concerned with his boyish look whatever it is you see 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I mean it makes sense.  Hoyer provides good, affordable mentorship and is probably still capable of winning some games (not many) in the NFL.

It just doesn’t really inspire confidence for the fate of the season, given that there’s a good chance we see a lot of Hoyer when whoever our rookie qb is, has growing pains (or catches mono).

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

John Elway couldn't hold off DeBerg in his rookie season, did Denver make a mistake?

Marino couldn't beat out Woodley, did Miami make a mistake?

Its not how you start out, its how you finish

That was before the rookie pay scale when it made sense to let these guys spend a year watching and learning. JD said one of his reasons for moving on from Sam was to reset the clock.

Start the rookie from day one and let him learn on the field.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah those Manning boys were sure scraping by at the poverty level all through their childhoods. Good call. 

Believe it or not, every one of these first round draft pick QBs has had his ass kissed and licked for years.

Yeah..  dont agree with any of that.

We'll see.

10 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

That was before the rookie pay scale when it made sense to let these guys spend a year watching and learning. JD said one of his reasons for moving on from Sam was to reset the clock.

Start the rookie from day one and let him learn on the field.

The money they make today is why they dont have to start right away.  Theyre not getting paid for years and can sit.  It the years before the pay scale, when a J Russell was paid a small fortune he needed to play because you couldn't afford a backup worth a damn.  

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was raised by a father who was a set made man.  He was raised to go out and work

That his uncle may be rich is a lame reason for concern.  Almost as lame as being concerned with his boyish look whatever it is you see 

Is that why he worked for Door Dash a year ago?  The assumptions some people have with ZERO information about the person involved....  smdh.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

Yeah..  dont agree with any of that.

We'll see.

Of course you dont, because you think if someone has a family member who has made a name for himself that he doesnt have to be driven of has to earn his own money.  If he just quits his uncle will give him that 200M deal he would have gotten as a top QB.  If ZWs uncle is rich ZW isnt driven to succeed?  Hes a gym rat always studying film etc why?  

None of this makes sense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I don't care what he costs, but the Jets will. They are not going to pay big money for a backup QB in a rebuilding year. They will save the cap space for other positions, or roll over to next year.

And that’s why they will never be good.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Is that why he worked for Door Dash a year ago?  The assumptions some people have with ZERO information about the person involved....  smdh.

Funny, he didnt get a cushy summer job working for his uncle, 15 hrs a week, 5K per week.

Because if my uncle was rich, he'd just give me money for being a flunky, lazy bastard

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pac said:

This is kind of funny because Wilson has overcome more adversity on the football field than say, Lawrence or Fields. Both of those guys were all time 5 star prospects and were proclaimed future NFL draft picks when they were in HS, going 54-4 combined against almost exclusively teams with worse players across the board. What adversity did they overcome? They crushed vastly less talented teams and had mediocre if not losing records against stiff competition.

Maybe Wilson is an entitled prick, but after struggling through a mediocre injury plagued season he fought back, won the starting job and had an all time season.

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mahomes father made millions playing ball when all was said and done.  Think I read $10M.  

How spoiled did that make his son? 

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course you dont, because you think if someone has a family member who has made a name for himself that he doesnt have to be driven of has to earn his own money.  If he just quits his uncle will give him that 200M deal he would have gotten as a top QB.  If ZWs uncle is rich ZW isnt driven to succeed?  Hes a gym rat always studying film etc why?  

None of this makes sense.

Believe whatever you want.  Pretend I'm the only one with this concern if it makes you happy.

I dont care.