Brian Hoyer talking with Jets Today

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The money they make today is why they dont have to start right away.  Theyre not getting paid for years and can sit.  It the years before the pay scale, when a J Russell was paid a small fortune he needed to play because you couldn't afford a backup worth a damn.  

QB being the highest paid position is where you want to make the most of the rookies before they can hit FA or need to be franchised at huge $$$ if they're good.

Agree that the old days where the rookies were paid huge $$$ before taking a NFL snap had to be fixed and I'm happy with the rookie pay scale. Let's use it to our advantage.

The Jets appear locked in on a quarterback with the No. 2 pick, but that hasn’t stopped Joe Douglas from looking at a veteran to sit behind him.

Brian Hoyer, who played for the Patriots last year, is set to visit the Jets today, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. He only appeared in one game in 2020, throwing for 130 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in a Week 4 loss to the Chiefs.The 13-year veteran would play backup and mentor to the Jets’ rookie quarterback.Hoyer has a few connections to the Jets. He started six games for the 49ers in 2017 when Mike LaFleur was the passing game coordinator and went 7-6 with the Browns in 2014 when LaFleur was an intern under offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. If anything, Hoyer would be familiar with the offense the Jets will likely run in 2021 and would be a fine fill-in quarterback if necessary.

This wouldn’t be the first time the Jets courted Hoyer, either. They brought him in for a visit in 2016 as a fallback plan if contract negotiations with Ryan Fitzpatrick fell through. Hoyer ultimately signed with the Bears while the Jets signed Fitzpatrick, though neither quarterback performed well.Right now, the Jets’ “plan” for QB2 is 2020 is fourth-round rookie James Morgan, who didn’t see the field once last year and wasn’t even activated for a game. Bringing in a veteran like Hoyer, who understands the offense already, would help bridge the gap between the playbook and the field for whichever rookie quarterback the Jets draft.

>   https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/08/brian-hoyer-visit-new-york-jets-2021-nfl-free-agency-patriots/

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Believe whatever you want.  Pretend I'm the only one with this concern if it makes you happy.

I dont care.

No youre right.  

If my uncle is rich, I dont have to work hard and will quit easily because, you know my uncle is rich.  So therefore I'm rich.  

I'm sure you'll give the old thumbs down because youre a nitwit 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

QB being the highest paid position is where you want to make the most of the rookies before they can hit FA or need to be franchised at huge $$$ if they're good.

Agree that the old days where the rookies were paid huge $$$ before taking a NFL snap had to be fixed and I'm happy with the rookie pay scale. Let's use it to our advantage.

Agree.  But also believe with some cases having your rookie QB sit and learn is using that low cost to your advantage

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

So guys are really good backups, reason why McCown and Daniel's have hung around the league so long. My guess is Hoyer is being thought of in the same mold.

What makes Hoyer or qualifies him as "a really good backup"?

What excludes Morgan or disqualifies him from potentially being a "really good backup"?

Again, only thing I see is "Hoyer started some games a long time ago and lost most of them" as the apparent qualifier.

Guess it's better to have started and lost than never to have starter at all......if you want a shot at being an NFL backup QB.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mahomes father made millions playing ball when all was said and done.  Think I read $10M.  

How spoiled did that make his son? 

Yeah I'm not going to get into a sociological study with anyone on what's such an out of the norm exception to the rule. How many people - whether growing up well-off or in/around poverty - know how to handle a sudden $20MM check at age 22? 

Any examples one can give are just anecdotal evidence. It's not like there's some proven rule that all the successful QBs came from the rough side of the tracks (nor from a cushy childhood either). 

If he sucks it'll be an uphill battle to argue to pinpoint that as the reason (or even a primary reason). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kelly said:

He started six games for the 49ers in 2017 when Mike LaFleur was the passing game coordinator and went 7-6 with the Browns in 2014 when LaFleur was an intern under offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. If anything, Hoyer would be familiar with the offense the Jets will likely run in 2021 and would be a fine fill-in quarterback if necessary.

Bringing in a veteran like Hoyer, who understands the offense already, would help bridge the gap between the playbook and the field for whichever rookie quarterback the Jets draft.

>   https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/08/brian-hoyer-visit-new-york-jets-2021-nfl-free-agency-patriots/

and thats it right there. he knows the offense there going to run. i guess Mullins recovery is talking longer than expected.

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

and thats it right there. he knows the offense there going to run. i guess Mullins recovery is talking longer than expected.

And he’s a 10+ yr vet. He’ll fill the mentor role ie McCown, Brunell. He knows that will be his role and will accept it 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

teams need at least 3 QBs on the roster.  signing someone like hoyer does not mean morgan won't get a shot to compete for the backup spot.    but at the least, it gives the jets at least 1 QB who has actually played a snap in the nfl on their roster.

geez - jets fans will complain about anything.  

They’re complaining because Brian Hoyer will be starting games next season and he’s horrible.

He couldn’t even be mediocre on a stacked colts team with a great offensive line.  When Zach Wilson gets hurt and this clown is playing enjoy

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

He also has no interest playing behind 4 of 5 of our lineman. He's literally almost died once already.

You know our Offensive Line is bad when over the hill journeymen QBs are avoiding a $5-10 million payday to be our backup qb

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No youre right.  

If my uncle is rich, I dont have to work hard and will quit easily because, you know my uncle is rich.  So therefore I'm rich.  

Flail about if it makes you happy.  Keep pretending that hasn't been discussed by gms or scouts.

Or Google it and see that it most certainly has.

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

They’re complaining because Brian Hoyer will be starting games next season and he’s horrible.

He couldn’t even be mediocre on a stacked colts team with a great offensive line.  When Zach Wilson gets hurt and this clown is playing enjoy

Yeah, I don't get the Hoyer love/acceptance either.  The guy has been a perennial bum.   If this is who we're left with then JD should have gone after Tyrod Taylor or Brissett when they were available.   We don't need a mentor/QB coach.  Just a guy who can step in and win some games.  No way Hoyer can fill that role.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Believe whatever you want.  Pretend I'm the only one with this concern if it makes you happy.

I dont care.

Honestly I think once he is the number 2 pick in the draft he will feel he’s succeeded. If things turn Sam Darnold ugly I see him walking away from it to have 8 6 foot white vinyl clad fences to go with his 8 wives. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

Flail about if it makes you happy.  Keep pretending that hasn't been discussed by gms or scouts.

This being debated doesn't make it an actual issue for QB prospects.  It just makes it....a debate.  Find me a negative correlation between QB's who came up in affluent families and those who failed in the pros and then there would be something worth looking at.  Scouts debate stupid sh*t all the time that just doesn't end up being a factor.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

I agree with your premise it's why Colin Keapernick failed because he grew up rich and privileged.

14 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

What is the deal with horrible and childish nicknames lately? Zippy? Horror? It mind boggling that grown adults talk like this. ??‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Its a message board discussing a kids game.

Its equally mind boggling to me how quick people are to get offended these days. I promise you'll be ok.

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I didn’t and still don’t have an issue with the Morgan pick, but he was drafted in the 4th specifically to be our backup. To do so only to roll Brian Hoyer in to be the backup truly does make it a wasted pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Signing Brian Hoyer doesn't mean James Morgan won't be the backup. Hoyer's importance is beyond playing time.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

It was discussed by anyone with even half a brain.  Wait maybe some insight from a reddit post without a stitch of proof that money has been or is a problem.  

His uncles money is a cute imaginary issue that no one can prove is a detriment to playing sports.  

I'm surprised so many against signing Hoyer.  You guys don't think his intimate knowledge of the Patriot/Miami defenses will be beneficial to Wilson?  I think that's more important than his stint with San Fran but that's just another bonus.  He would cost like $1M.

• Upvote 2

Not a fan of Hoyer.  Here is my take from another thread:

I know, I know.  It's a bad idea.  Nevertheless, hear me out.

One of the available veteran QBs has several years experience starting in the NFL.  He was dismissed by his original team.   Afterwards, the best he could get was a camp invitation to fight for a roster spot at the veteran minimum.

Yet year after year, he not only earned a roster spot, he earned the backup QB job.  Turned away all comers.  He has been active on game day ever since.

This man comes into camp in killer shape and always did.   While he is no all pro and NFL defenses always flummoxed him, he could always uncork the deep pass accurately. 

Never once did he throw his girlfriend down the stairs or get arrested.  Never once did he get suspended for performance enhancing drugs or recreational drugs.  Nor has he been suspended for any other reason to my knowledge.

Despite a notorious incident with his original team, he has been a solid teammate ever since.  Whether you want to admit it or not, he has had a long career.

Yes, I am referring to the flat earther himself.  Geno Smith.

Let's face it, what do we want from our backup?  We want him to spot start and keep the seat warm for Zach Wilson.  This player must remain healthy and provide solid competition for Captain Morgan.

I have heard the arguments in favor of Mullins.  I cannot imagine it to be honest, I think Geno would easily beat him out.  He does not have Geno's talent, durability or starting experience.  I have heard the arguments in favor of Alex Smith but I think he is too fragile to hold down the job with a rookie and a first year QB as the only alternatives.  Durability is a key.   So is experience.  None of the available players have his experience except Alex Smith and he is one hit from going down for the career.  Nor do I believe he will sign for the veteran minimum.  So far in his career, he never has.

I fully expect Geno Smith to be invited to another team camp.  Once there, he will win yet another backup job for a team that thought they would get little or nothing out of him and were amazed at his overall talent level. 

I do not expect him to lead us to the playoffs.  I do not believe anyone can to be honest.  While many of you think he will be a poor mentor to the Mormon missile, I disagree.  Geno was so arrogant early in his career that his personal school of hard knocks is a life lesson in the flesh for any rookie QB.  Further, he is an ardent Christian.  It is not like he is going to take young Wilson to the strip club for woman, bong hits and blow.

Would I prefer a different veteran?  Sure.  But look at what's left.  He is the only one left who is durable, talented and experienced.  I would extend an invite to camp at the minimum.   I bet he takes it and gives Morgan a run for his money.  If Morgan cannot beat out Geno Smith, then we know it is time to find somebody else who can. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Not offended at all, to the contrary. I just think it’s pretty pathetic. No worries, carry on Pathetic Pac ?

A) Thats the spirit let your hair down 

B  )You've been reported for the name-calling

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Its a message board discussing a kids game.

Its equally mind boggling to me how quick people are to get offended these days. I promise you'll be ok.

look at Archie Bunker over here, it's 2021 dude

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This being debated doesn't make it an actual issue for QB prospects.  It just makes it....a debate.  Find me a negative correlation between QB's who came up in affluent families and those who failed in the pros and then there would be something worth looking at.  Scouts debate stupid sh*t all the time that just doesn't end up being a factor.  

You are going to go full Paccagnan when/if/when WIlson busts, aren't you

31 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I want Minshew and I wouldn't mind giving up a 4th rounder for him.

There I said it.

The backup QB position so important as we're about to draft an undersized (and already damaged) QB in Zach Wilson.

Minshew was horrible last year