Brian Hoyer talking with Jets Today

35 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I want Minshew and I wouldn't mind giving up a 4th rounder for him.

There I said it.

The backup QB position so important as we're about to draft an undersized (and already damaged) QB in Zach Wilson.

Compared to Hoyer?  No friggin' doubt I'd take Minshew.  Just for the chance that he recaptures the "magic" he had in 2019: 21 TDs/6 INTs in 14 games.   Even as bad as he played last season, Minshew had 16 TDs/5 INTs in 9 games.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

They’re complaining because Brian Hoyer will be starting games next season and he’s horrible.

He couldn’t even be mediocre on a stacked colts team with a great offensive line.  When Zach Wilson gets hurt and this clown is playing enjoy

hoyer started 1 game in 2019 with the colts, who went 7-9 that year.  

he is what he is - an experienced backup QB.  nothing prevents morgan (and white) from competing for the backup position.  but he's an experienced guy to put in the QB room, to help ALL the young QBs (career regular season pass attempts by QBs currently on the roster, with the assumed addition of the #2 pick = 0.00).

can anyone tell me the last time an nfl team went into the season with their collective QB room having the same amount of regular season snaps as bluto blutarsky's GPA?

53 minutes ago, CTM said:

You are going to go full Paccagnan when/if/when WIlson busts, aren't you

I liked Darnold in 2018.  He was my # 1 choice.  But I don't like Wilson.  I'm just rolling with it because we have to.  Maybe a QB I do NOT like will do well. 

And QBASE kinda likes him, so that's something I guess.  

7 hours ago, Pac said:

Hardy har har.  

Not sure what that has to do with a street free agent.

Because we aren't getting anyone other than a Hoyer, or A.J. McCarron, or Geno Smith, or Robert Griffin II, or Nick Mullins....That is all there is.  We could roll with Morgan, but I think a few people's heads would pop off.  

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course you dont, because you think if someone has a family member who has made a name for himself that he doesnt have to be driven of has to earn his own money.  If he just quits his uncle will give him that 200M deal he would have gotten as a top QB.  If ZWs uncle is rich ZW isnt driven to succeed?  Hes a gym rat always studying film etc why?  

None of this makes sense.

@Pac

i believe you guys are talking about how rich zach is because his family is? found this..

Wilson frequently made 10-hour drives from BYU’s campus to southern California to train with his quarterback coach, John Beck, before his standout junior season. Once the COVID-19 pandemic hit, Wilson remained in California and took on a new job in order to pay for gas and other expenses.

While in California, Wilson worked as a DoorDash driver, according to NBC Sports’ Peter King. The long weekend nights delivering food paid dividends when it came to Wilson’s ability to account for his expenses and allowed him to continue his work with Beck, which proved instrumental to his development throughout 2020.

that doesnt sound like someone whos uncle gave him millions of dollars. hell he could even give the kid some money for gas?

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, doitny said:

@Pac

i believe you guys are talking about how rich zach is because his family is? found this..

Wilson frequently made 10-hour drives from BYU’s campus to southern California to train with his quarterback coach, John Beck, before his standout junior season. Once the COVID-19 pandemic hit, Wilson remained in California and took on a new job in order to pay for gas and other expenses.

While in California, Wilson worked as a DoorDash driver, according to NBC Sports’ Peter King. The long weekend nights delivering food paid dividends when it came to Wilson’s ability to account for his expenses and allowed him to continue his work with Beck, which proved instrumental to his development throughout 2020.

that doesnt sound like someone whos uncle gave him millions of dollars. hell he could even give the kid some money for gas?

This was brought up earlier.

Wilsons uncle is the head/owner of JetBlue.

That doesnt make Zach Wilson rich.  Doesnt mean that he doesn't need to work at being a star QB, that his uncle will just end over the $200+ M he could make as a star NFL QB.

To believe this is the case is beyond ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

What makes Hoyer or qualifies him as "a really good backup"?

What excludes Morgan or disqualifies him from potentially being a "really good backup"?

Again, only thing I see is "Hoyer started some games a long time ago and lost most of them" as the apparent qualifier.

Guess it's better to have started and lost than never to have starter at all......if you want a shot at being an NFL backup QB.

Hes a vet and teams want a vet QB around a rookie to show him the ropes, teach him how to prepare etc, etc

Being a winning QB doesnt necessarily make a vet QB a good mentor.  It takes and ability to teach, patience and not getting pissed that youre not a starting QB anymore.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes a vet and teams want a vet QB around a rookie to show him the ropes, teach him how to prepare etc, etc

Being a winning QB doesnt necessarily make a vet QB a good mentor, the ability to teach, patience and not getting pissed that youre not a starting QB anymore.

I’d argue a #2 overall pick shouldn’t need a loser like Hoyer to show him the ropes, especially if we have decent coaches.

Id also argue having a loser just happy to be the #2 and cash a check is poor motivation/competition to drive that #2 pick to be his best.

Appreciate I’m in the minority snd that I’m not an ultra conservative NFL GM.

• Post of the Week 1

This was brought up earlier.

Wilsons uncle is the head/owner of JetBlue.

That doesnt make Zach Wilson rich.  Doesnt mean that he doesn't need to work at being a star QB, that his uncle will just end over the $200+ M he could make as a star NFL QB.

To believe this is the case is beyond ridiculous.

sorry i didnt know it was posted already.

this makes me shocked there is still an argument after seeing this.

Zachs grandparents had 36 kids. so even if his uncle had 6, ( i dont know ) that leaves 30 nephew and nieces. is he giving all 30, 200 million?

yeah i totally agree with you. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I’d argue a #2 overall pick shouldn’t need a loser like Hoyer to show him the ropes, especially if we have decent coaches.

Id also argue having a loser just happy to be the #2 and cash a check is poor motivation/competition to drive that #2 pick to be his best.

Well you can feel that the #2 somehow by virtue of being #2 doesnt need help getting used to all that it takes to play in the NFL but I dont get how # 2 knows more about NFL life as a lead QB on and off the field than the #14 or lower.  

And again, how you were as a player has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to teach and reach players.  The list of superstar athletes who suck at coaching is long.  

What I will never understand is what's to anyone that we hire a mentor, pay that mentor and the kid didnt need it as much as say, oh I dont know a Mahomes?  Mahomes cant thank Smith enough and that worked out pretty well.  Even if he added little to Mahomes development, who cares?  I mean is there a solid reason to eliminate the mentor position, is there an advantage that makes any sense against having one for the kid?

3 hours ago, doitny said:

sorry i didnt know it was posted already.

this makes me shocked there is still an argument after seeing this.

Zachs grandparents had 36 kids. so even if his uncle had 6, ( i dont know ) that leaves 30 nephew and nieces. is he giving all 30, 200 million?

yeah i totally agree with you. 

Thats cool, I do it all the time.  Whoever says they dont is full of shlt.

But yeah, the idea that his uncle would hand over the kind of coin Wilson could make as a star Qb in NY is ludicrous.  Then add in that the kid has been a hard worker every step of his development on and off the field

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

The QB doesn't matter.

In 2020 Joe Douglas had 26 JAG's on 1-year contracts and it looks like his 2021 strategy is to use FA and the draft to replace 6 of them and have 20 JAG's on 1-year contracts.   It's a wonderful strategy if you want a 10 year rebuild and completely trust the guy picking the players.

SAR I

It’s the Wang/Snow Islanders blueprint LoL 

And again, how you were as a player has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to teach and reach players.  The list of superstar athletes who suck at coaching is long.  

Then hire him as a Coach.

What I will never understand is what's to anyone that we hire a mentor

Because the position is backup QB.  Not Mentor.

If he needs a mentor, hire a Coach.

Backup QB should be a driving force, a competitor, someone at his heels making him play his best.

JMO, clearly, I understand how the NFL does business.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I liked Darnold in 2018.  He was my # 1 choice.  But I don't like Wilson.  I'm just rolling with it because we have to.  Maybe a QB I do NOT like will do well. 

And QBASE kinda likes him, so that's something I guess.  

I can feel your trepidation of diving right in. I respect that. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Backup QB should be a driving force, a competitor, someone at his heels making him play his best.

You apparently are confusing the position being filled.

It's not coach, can't be a coach plus he already has a QB coach.  NFL coaches have a different relationship than a teammate/mentor.  Bringing in a mentor has been a common practice forever in the NFL for this reason.  

JMO if you expected the above you really don't have an idea about how the NFL does business with QBs.  If you're this confused about a simple hire that most of JN predicted as soon as Darnold was traded.  Once again, why is it bothersome to hire a mentor added to the QBs support group?  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Agreed, the biggest disservice the jets did to mark sanchez was to bring in Brunnell who could not play at all and was zero threat as if Sanchez's ego was so fragile he could not hack any viable alternative.

He support a young QB, you do not coddle him.

16 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

hoyer started 1 game in 2019 with the colts, who went 7-9 that year.  

he is what he is - an experienced backup QB.  nothing prevents morgan (and white) from competing for the backup position.  but he's an experienced guy to put in the QB room, to help ALL the young QBs (career regular season pass attempts by QBs currently on the roster, with the assumed addition of the #2 pick = 0.00).

can anyone tell me the last time an nfl team went into the season with their collective QB room having the same amount of regular season snaps as bluto blutarsky's GPA?

Hoyer is putrid.  Stop

34 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This makes sense.  Some of you half wits who said the Jets should roll with Wilson and Morgan are clueless.  There’s no way this staff isn’t going to have a guy who has actually taken NFL snaps on the roster.  

So the answer is to sign the one crappy unemployed QB no one else wants who officially has the worst game by a qb ever in a playoff game?

18 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, I don't get the Hoyer love/acceptance either.  The guy has been a perennial bum.   If this is who we're left with then JD should have gone after Tyrod Taylor or Brissett when they were available.   We don't need a mentor/QB coach.  Just a guy who can step in and win some games.  No way Hoyer can fill that role.

Morgan is probably trash but at least he’s sort of an unknown commodity. We already know Hoyer is horrible

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Well you can feel that the #2 somehow by virtue of being #2 doesnt need help getting used to all that it takes to play in the NFL but I dont get how # 2 knows more about NFL life as a lead QB on and off the field than the #14 or lower.  

What I will never understand is what's to anyone that we hire a mentor, pay that mentor and the kid didnt need it as much as say, oh I dont know a Mahomes?  Mahomes cant thank Smith enough and that worked out pretty well.  Even if he added little to Mahomes development, who cares?  I mean is there a solid reason to eliminate the mentor position, is there an advantage that makes any sense against having one for the kid?

Opportunity cost (or resource allocation) is really the main argument against it. If it’s a Hoyer at $2m fine. But an Alex Smith type is going to cost $10M. That’s decent starting money at other positions. Is a mentor going to help Wilson more than say a good starting guard?

Right now there are still defensive players who can help us. There are a couple starting caliber players at interior OL that are still out there. And what if better players get cut?

Having a high priced mentor doesn’t make sense to me when you still need to add quality players who can actually be on the field at the same time with Zach.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Hoyer is putrid.  Stop

ok, who do you suggest?

and i don't mean morgan, who will also be on the roster (assuming he beats out white)

teams need 3 QBs on a roster.  the jets will assumedly have wilson and morgan.  who is the 3rd?

hoyer is pretty mediocre.  not expecting him to come in and lead the team to the playoffs.  but i guess you know more than belichick, who put this "putrid" QB on his roster 6 times, including last year after brady left.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Opportunity cost (or resource allocation) is really the main argument against it. If it’s a Hoyer at $2m fine. But an Alex Smith type is going to cost $10M. That’s decent starting money at other positions. Is a mentor going to help Wilson more than say a good starting guard?

Right now there are still defensive players who can help us. There are a couple starting caliber players at interior OL that are still out there. And what if better players get cut?

Having a high priced mentor doesn’t make sense to me when you still need to add quality players who can actually be on the field at the same time with Zach.

Nothing is nearly as important as getting Wilson ready to play well in the NFL.

And I was advocating for a Hoyer over the expensive alternative.  A couple of mil to help our QB is well worth it

9 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

ok, who do you suggest?

and i don't mean morgan, who will also be on the roster (assuming he beats out white)

teams need 3 QBs on a roster.  the jets will assumedly have wilson and morgan.  who is the 3rd?

hoyer is pretty mediocre.  not expecting him to come in and lead the team to the playoffs.  but i guess you know more than belichick, who put this "putrid" QB on his roster 6 times, including last year after brady left.

He wants to spend 10 million for a backup QB while somehow still having enough money to continue improving other parts of the team

At the same time he thinks a backup QB is still gonna get us in the playoffs? I don't know wth he's thinking

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

I’ve said for years that the mentor QB is a fallacy born out of making excuses for bad coaches.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

An actual playing QB can help him interpret the play book, discuss on the field what they are seeing on the field. Discuss their experiences of adapting to the NFL.

Sometimes you can learn more from a peer than you can your boss. When I brought new employees, I assigned them a "buddy" to guide them through, rather than their boss.

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

What competition drove Josh Allen, Kyle Murray, Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, and Justin Herbert to be their bests? 

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ve said for years that the mentor QB is a fallacy born out of making excuses for bad coaches.

I completely agree.

In my view, all three QB spots on a roster should be filled with the best possible Quarterbacks.

Not mentors.  Not Coaches.  Not guys to pat rookies on the back and tell them they're special.  Not woobies for Head Coaches to play because they don't like playing younger QB's.

If a Veteran is that guy, because he's younger, and talented, with upside, etc., and the potential to win games if called upon, fine, no objection.

But all of 3 of them should be chosen because they can play or have the potential to play the #1 QB spot.  Not for any other touchy-feely mentor coach-in-pads reason.

In my view, rookie QB's are best served by GREAT Coaches, and aggressive competitors chasing at their heels.  Fear and competition are amazing motivators.