Schrager 1.0/ Jets taking Rondale Moore at 23

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The odds of 2 rookies being better than 1 on the same line, blocking for a rookie QB

vs.

The odds of 1 rookie on the line plus one elite CB prospect who fell to #23, whereas he might've been gone by 12-15 in another year, because so many others were scurrying around to draft 5 QBs, the top 2-3 WRs, the top 2-3 tackles, an elite TE prospect, a RB, a handful of EDGE & DT prospects, a couple ILBs, and even 1-2 other CBs (among any other positions that ). 

The odds of 2 of 2 drafted rookies beating out every one of the veterans on the line as rookies, plus that improving things right away as the line again goes through 2 more newcomers to each other and to the league, isn't great.

I get the romance of OL OL OL OL but that isn't necessarily going to yield a superior OL this year. The nice thing about the OL as a position group is first of all that star talent is commonly found after round 1, and that it's a position group that can be filled every offseason, whether via FA or via the draft, to build an adequate-enough group to compete for a title. 

A lot of folks were complaining when when we took OL with our two top picks (Brick and Mangold) and it turned out to be one of our best drafts ever.  I wouldn't take OL just because they are OL but if they have them ranked close to folks at other positions I would have no objection to going OL at 23 and 34.  The IOL free agents that we have signed this year are scrubs, pure and simple.

On 4/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, JetBlue said:

Great post, all I will say regarding Joes preference for size in WR, is he already has 3-4 receivers that meet those requirements.  What we DON'T have is a weapon like Moore.  I know he is shorter than Tyreek Hill and Hill was not a first rounder, but when you look at the impact he has on the KC offense, that is the reason you consider taking a guy like him in the first round.   

Hill wasn't a first rounder for a few reasons, namely his off the field issues and also the league hadn't yet caught on to the value of super quick WRs in the modern NFL regardless of their lack of "prototypical" #1 WR Height. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

A lot of folks were complaining when when we took OL with our two top picks (Brick and Mangold) and it turned out to be one of our best drafts ever.  I wouldn't take OL just because they are OL but if they have them ranked close to folks at other positions I would have no objection to going OL at 23 and 34.  The IOL free agents that we have signed this year are scrubs, pure and simple.

At the same time, that doesn't therefore mean it yielded the best overall team outcome. i.e. Mangold was great, and I absolutely wish we had 4 more of him right now playing to Becton's right. But was the team really better off overall with Brick+Mangold rather than Brick + keeping Mawae & Abraham? 

Certainly the best overall team is not which roster has the better-talent second guard.

Never mind this team will have the same draft investment as that line.

1. one higher 1st round pick (top 5-10 type prospect): Ferguson vs. Becton
  2. one lower 1st round pick (#32 +/- a handful of slots): Mangold vs. 2021 pick between 23 & 34

I don't know why that's being glossed over. Almost as much as it's glossed over that Ferguson wasn't nearly a probowl type performer his first 2 seasons. Then he not only got some more help at LG, but he stopped dropping his weight into the 280s by October and started playing like the elite pass blocker he was drafted to be. Except his play was already was visibly dropping off in 2011, getting a probowl nod on reputation (like Faneca in '09, or even '08 for that matter); it wasn't solely the Woody/Hunter swap that made the line worse. He'd just gotten married right before camp started, and remember Mickey's warning that women weaken legs.

Anyway, that line employed a man-blocking line scheme, where collective continuity was a bit less important than it'll be on the 2021 ZB line. The better talent by one individual is not necessarily going to yield the best results on the field, let alone as a rookie, let alone further still with multiple rookies at the same time. Look how much worse the veterans looked, compared to their prior passable performances on other teams, when there were 5 new faces who'd each never played with one another before.

On 4/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, JetBlue said:

Great post, all I will say regarding Joes preference for size in WR, is he already has 3-4 receivers that meet those requirements.  What we DON'T have is a weapon like Moore.  I know he is shorter than Tyreek Hill and Hill was not a first rounder, but when you look at the impact he has on the KC offense, that is the reason you consider taking a guy like him in the first round.   

Dwayne Eskridge is a guy I’d look to fill that joystick WR role. Explosive, fast,  good hands. Round 4. JD will be true to himself and fill the 2 most important positions of need @ 23 and 34 OL and CB. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I know you do your work, what's your opinion o AVT, personally I just don't see it what others are seeing, to me he's going to be a below to average guard in the league and nothing more.

I think EDGE would be the pick where you got the most value at 23, but who knows that late in the first is kinda of no mans land, would like to see a trade down.

To be real with you - I'm out of my depth with OTs.. Sometimes I think I have a feel for things like when I fell in love with Tytus Howard early on well before he became a day 1 possibility (that was actually the first time I had people physically at the pro day sending me info and pics). but then there's lots of faceplants along the way, ie. Flowers... 

You know who you need to ask, is @RobR he's always had a keen and accurate eye for this Tackles and such. 

*points the batsignal to the sky*

(from a value standpoint, yes i think defense will have the highest grade talent at #23)

Since we signed two IU guys in the offseason, I will allow a Purdue draft pick.  But let's not get crazy with Purdue guys...nothing but trash in West Lafayette.

But Moore at 23? not when there's good oline and CBs still on the board.

Moore at 34....I could probably live with that.

Even better....pull a Mims, trade back a few spots for some additional picks and take Moore mid 2nd round.

23 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Our OL SUCKS.  I get what Sperm has been saying about taking two OL too early.  But there is just no reason not to focus on getting at least 2 quality OL @ picks 23/34/66/86 that could be plugged in in a year or two.  McGovern and Fant's contract are up soon and both those positions could be upgraded.  Our guards, Lewis and GVR,  are JAGS.  We need two guards, a center and a tackle. That's all. A couple here and a couple there, a FA here and a FA there.  There's no rush here. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/8/2021 at 5:37 AM, kevinc855 said:

I kinda love this take. He’s only 5’7, ridiculously fast. Coming from Purdue.

Wayne Chrebet but faster 2.0? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/peter-schrager-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-pats-trade-up-for-justin-fields-cardinals

Moore is an explosive player and I would love the pick. However, I don't think the Jets would pass on Zaven Collins or Teven Jenkins in this scenario. I actually have them taking Moore in Rd. 2.

• Sympathy 1

I get it we have had a bad team and bad draft for far too long, but now even most mocks are saying we should take ridiculous picks, this ass hat Sam Newman says we are supposed to draft a WR that is 5 foot 7 inches. WTF. Talks about how people have to gamelan for him every week like Deebo. Ok for starters,  he is 6 foot and like 220. Rondale who is supposed to be this really good player is 5 7 and a buck 80. 

NO THANKS> I am worried about taking the small WR Dvonta smith or what ever his name is and he much more talented.

This guys best case scenario is us drafting stupid. god i cant imagine his other picks, Im srue they are all trash too. MACC is gone, Joe is here. This BS will never happen. 

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/10/2021-nfl-draft-jets-zach-wilson-rondale-moore-nfl-network-mock/

April 10, 2021 11:30 am

Peter Schrager is out with his first mock draft less than a month before the real thing.

The Good Morning Football host and NFL Network personality has the Jets going the expected route at No. 2, but they take the road less traveled with a surprise selection at No. 23.

Schrager pairs the Jets with BYU QB Zach Wilson to start things off, something that seems to be more than a foregone conclusion at this point.

Here’s his explanation for the selection:

In the end, I think Wilson will be the guy. His 2020 campaign numbers were eye-popping, but it’s his toughness and fearlessness over the course of his entire college career that really impresses folks around the league.

The Jets have already moved on from Sam Darnold and Joe Douglas didn’t deny Steve Young’s comments that New York has “committed” to Wilson and his family. Douglas didn’t have much of a rebuttal, adding that the legendary quarterback is “pretty tapped in” to the BYU football program.

The only box likely left to check is Wilson’s medicals, but the Jets aren’t concerned with Wilson’s shoulder injury history, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

As for New York’s second first-round pick, Schrager has them rolling the dice on Purdue wideout Rondale Moore.

Here’s his explanation for the pick:

Moore is a beast and a nightmare to tackle after the catch. He’s neither a burner nor a huge physical specimen, but he fits everything the Jets are looking to be. Think Deebo Samuel, with his ability to carry the ball, catch the ball and generally be a DC’s headache week in and week out.

While Moore is only 5-foot-7, his testing has been off the charts. Moore ran a 4.29 40-yard dash and had a 42.5-inch vertical at his pro day. The Purdue product has exceptional traits and is an explosive playmaker even though he’s an undersized slot receiver.

Where Moore may draw criticism beyond his size is his ability to stay on the field. He hasn’t played a full season in two years. He did, however, haul in 114 receptions for 1,258 yards with 12 touchdowns in 2018.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:44 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Seems really early for Moore?

He's got very small arms...like 28.25", to go along with 5'7" height.  Slightly smallish hands 8.75".  He's not gonna reach out and pluck the ball in the air one handed OBJ style for sure..   And with a multiple injury history?  No...I wouldn't take him in the 1st round. 

I like him though.  Very fast, athletic and strong.  I just don't know how much of his game can translate to the NFL against good athletic corners.  He's not Tyreek Hill...no one is.  And Hill was taken in the 5th round. 

JMO...I think he's being overdrafted if taken in rounds 1-2.   

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Our OL SUCKS.  I get what Sperm has been saying about taking two OL too early.  But there is just no reason not to focus on getting at least 2 quality OL @ picks 23/34/66/86 that could be plugged in in a year or two.  McGovern and Fant's contract are up soon and both those positions could be upgraded.  Our guards, Lewis and GVR,  are JAGS.  We need two guards, a center and a tackle. That's all. A couple here and a couple there, a FA here and a FA there.  There's no rush here. 

Our OL is Becton + 4 JAGS