OT: Former NFL player shoots 5 dead, kills himself

Phillip Adams, apparently a former Jet. Can't say I remember him.

Horrible story - shot dead his doctor, the doctor's wife and two of that couple's grandchildren, plus another man:

https://www.postandcourier.com/ap/nfl-player-phillip-adams-killed-5-then-himself-source-says/article_34c4a0dc-9863-11eb-8afe-3badad580eb0.html

The kids were aged 9 and 5. Just horrible.

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

Horrible. Be interesting to see what the motive was.  Was he just totally deranged or was there some backstory?

Of course, killing 2 kids in cold blood is beyond anything that can be justified in even a small way

Apparently, the Doctor had treated him so maybe Adams blamed him for something.

Could be another tragic CTE related story. The part about the children is so hard to comprehend.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

???????

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Am I the only one missing the point?  

Or I assume humor in it.

It's actually extremely apt for this thread, but yea probably could have chosen a gif from a different part of the song to drive the point home. 

Either way, this is tough. Probably CTE related in a bigly way. 2 kids...ugh

edit: yikes they weren't even their kids. They were the doc's grandkids. As a parent who leaves my kids with my parents or in-laws before trusting anyone else with them, I can't even imagine the horror of thinking your kids are safest with their own grandparents, only for this to happen. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

For you old farts. It's from This is America music video. A song/music video showing violence particularly gun violence is as American as apple pie and baseball.

Ahh, good to know. 

It's sad to know that I have officially transitioned into an "old fart"

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Wtf. I’ll never understand killing children especially your own offspring. 

They weren't his kids - they were the Doctor's grandchildren. Adams might not even have known them. Absolutely horrific.

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Phillip Adams, apparently a former Jet. Can't say I remember him.

Horrible story - shot dead his doctor, the doctor's wife and two of that couple's grandchildren, plus another man:

https://www.postandcourier.com/ap/nfl-player-phillip-adams-killed-5-then-himself-source-says/article_34c4a0dc-9863-11eb-8afe-3badad580eb0.html

The kids were aged 9 and 5. Just horrible.

Wow... So Rock Hill is a suburb of Charlotte, about 15 miles south.  VERY southern in it's culture etc BUT this will be/is big news here.  

How sad. What could be in someone's head where they feel the need to do this?

1 hour ago, King P said:

This will go over the heads of 90% of this board.

I just have no earthly idea what it has to do with this story.

What ties this specific music video to this killing?  If it's "both had guns", that's a thin link.

Just not sure what is being said by the video being posted here, that we shouldn't care, shootings are American, so no ****s given?

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I just have no earthly idea what it has to do with this story.

What ties this specific music video to this killing?  If it's "both had guns", that's a thin link.

Just not sure what is being said by the video being posted here, that we shouldn't care, shootings are American, so no ****s given?

The song and video are attempts to display the rampant systematic something in America directed at a certain segment of our population. 

That the shooter in this video is, let’s just say, well, I’m in enough trouble here as it is so I won’t say, posting of that video is somewhat ironic. 

Regardless of your views on the video, including it here is in pretty poor taste. 

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

The music video’s message is not that we shouldn’t care. It’s that even though we should be outraged, we don’t care. It’s that America had become desensitized by violent murders because they’ve become as ‘murrican as apple pie. Just today alone in America, 29 ppl dead and another 24 injured by gun violence. This particular incident - 6 dead including two children, and wasn’t a top story on a single national network.

I’d say it was a pretty apt inclusion to the thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Morrissey said:

For you old farts. It's from This is America music video. A song/music video showing violence particularly gun violence is as American as apple pie and baseball.

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The music video’s message is not that we shouldn’t care. It’s that even though we should be outraged, we don’t care. It’s that America had become desensitized by violent murders because they’ve become as ‘murrican as apple pie. Just today alone in America, 29 ppl dead and another 24 injured by gun violence. This particular incident - 6 dead including two children, and wasn’t a top story on a single national network.

Yep.  "This is America", indeed.  Sad and brutal.

16 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

How many people died of heart disease and other causes related to obesity?

Don't think I saw any stories about them either, and it's alot more than 29.  Alot.

At least this was a covered story.  And we have a thread about it. /shrug.

Personally, I'd happily vote to repeal the 2nd Amendment, so I guess you're preaching to the choir.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How many people died of heart disease and other causes related to obesity?

This is an odd statement to make in relation to someone being murdered by someone else using a gun in an intense moment of unclarity.

I mean, sure if someone woke up every day for 20 years and forced twinkies and burgers into someone else’s body via a machine which requires a chemical explosive to generate force; thereby causing obesity and its various comorbodities - then maybe I could see where you were going. But only if the story was covered in a thread on JN.  /shrug.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

There’s a reason why it wasn’t a top story. 

Same reason why someone smashing their car into to the Capitol Building barricade killing a cop wasn’t a top story.  

Same reason why someone gunning down several people in one city was a top story but someone gunning down several people in another city literally a week later was not a top story. 

The national media is carrying a narrative that if the victims or perpetrator doesn’t fit that narrative it’s crickets, but if the victims or perpetrator fits that  narrative, it’s national news for weeks or months. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I mean, sure if someone woke up every day for 20 years and forced twinkies and burgers into someone else’s body via a machine which requires a chemical explosive to generate force; thereby causing obesity and its various comorbodities - then maybe I could see where you were going. But only if the story was covered in a thread on JN.  /shrug.

ehh, not to get political but dc corruption  + and the food business kinda did that all these years. High fructose corn syrup is right up there with dirtsticks

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-diet-farm-subsidies/foods-from-subsidized-commodities-tied-to-obesity-idUSKCN0ZL2ER

ROT IN HELL SAVAGE!!!

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-rock-top-south-carolina-shooting-dead-20210408-hl6puzbjwzb2fhvplqpxt72ycm-story.html

Former N.Y. Jets player Phillip Adams kills 5, including 2 kids, then himself in South Carolina mass shooting: police

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
APR 08, 2021 AT 5:34 PM

A York County sheriff vehicle drives onto the property where multiple people, including a prominent doctor, were fatally shot a day earlier, Thursday, April 8, 2021, in Rock Hill, S.C.
A York County sheriff vehicle drives onto the property where multiple people, including a prominent doctor, were fatally shot a day earlier, Thursday, April 8, 2021, in Rock Hill, S.C. (NELL REDMOND/AP)

A former New York Jets cornerback fatally shot five people in a South Carolina home, including a beloved doctor and his two young grandchildren, then turned the gun on himself, local police said Thursday.

Phillip Adams, 32, who played for the Jets in 2014, gunned down Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70; his wife, Barbara Lesslie, 69, and their grandkids ages 5 and 9 Wednesday evening in Rock Hill, according to authorities.

An air conditioning technician who had been working at the home, 39-year-old James Lewis, was also shot to death outside, and a co-worker was hospitalized with “serious gunshot wounds,” the York County Sheriff’s Office said.

After the rampage, Adams, 32, shot himself in the head in a bedroom at his parents’ house with a .45-caliber weapon, according to a person familiar with the investigation.

Authorities said a motive has not yet been determined.

“There’s nothing right now that makes sense to any of us,” York County Sheriff Kevin Tolson said at a press conference Thursday.

But Adams father, Alonso Adams, blamed the shootings on his son’s years in the NFL.

“I think the football messed him up,” the distraught dad told Charlotte television station WCNC.

A source told The Associated Press that Adams had been treated by Lesslie, who lived near his parents’ home, but cops would not confirm that the player had been the doctor’s patient.

Police said a 9-mm. firearm was also found at the scene, but it’s unclear which gun was used in the killings. Tolson said there was no evidence that either gun was bought illegally.

In this March 12, 2009 file photo shows Dr. Robert Lesslie in Rock Hill, S.C.
In this March 12, 2009 file photo shows Dr. Robert Lesslie in Rock Hill, S.C. (JOHN D. SIMMONS/AP)

Tolson said that Adams forced his way into Lesslie’s house, based on evidence at the scene. After an eight-hour manhunt, police found Adams dead inside his parents’ home just down the road. Officials said he died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

During the press conference, Tolson played two 911 calls, one from a man who said two of his technicians had called him to say they’d been shot, and another from a neighbor who had been outside cutting his grass when he heard about 20 gunshots.

“All I can say is we pray for the family,” Adams’ dad told WCNC. “I know they were good folks down there. We’re going to keep them in our prayers.”

In this Oct. 25, 2015 file photo, Atlanta Falcons defensive back Phillip Adams arrives for a game against the Tennessee Titans in Nashville.
In this Oct. 25, 2015 file photo, Atlanta Falcons defensive back Phillip Adams arrives for a game against the Tennessee Titans in Nashville. (Mark Zaleski/AP)

Lesslie had been practicing in Rock Hill since 1981, according to his bio page at Riverview House Calls & Riverview Hospice and Palliative Care, which he founded.

He and his wife lived with “their golden retriever, Moses, several miniature horses, goats, donkeys, chickens and a lot of bees,” according to the web site.

The couple had four adult children and nine grandchildren.

“We are truly in the midst of the unimaginable,” members of the Lesslie family said in a joint statement read by Tolson. “The losses we are suffering cannot be uttered at this time.”

Phillip Adams was with the New York Jets in 2014.
Phillip Adams was with the New York Jets in 2014. (Al Pereira/Getty Images)

Adams spent six seasons in the NFL, playing for the San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks, Oakland Raiders, Jets and Atlanta Falcons after being drafted out of South Carolina State University. He appeared in 12 games with the Jets in 2014 and recorded 21 tackles.

Adams suffered a severe ankle injury as a rookie in 2010 season. He had two concussions in 2012 while with the Raiders, but it’s unclear whether he suffered long-lasting effects from the head injuries.

The latest mass shooting to hit the nation came as President Biden on Thursday introduced measures to curb gun violence, including tightening regulations for buyers of “ghost guns” and pistol-stabilizing braces like the one used in Boulder, Colo., in a shooting last month that killed 10 people.

The White House measures came a day after the South Carolina House of Representatives approved a “Constitutional Carry” bill that would let residents openly carry guns without a permit.