Jump to content

Justin Fields 2nd Pro Day - April 14th


Recommended Posts

ESPN Get Up | Damien Woody reports 49ers expected to attend Justin Fields' second pro day next week

Hope the Jets send Robert Saleh there next Wednesday since he missed the first Pro Day. 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we all admit that we have zero clue who will be better between Wilson and Fields? They’re both very talented but flawed prospects. I’ll be happy with either. The insane tribalism between the two c

He had two injuries in a 6 game season last year, playing behind an NFL OL taking hits from college kids 

If we have to go QB at2 now how are we not taking Fields?  Look I’ve been very critical of the guy and I still have those criticisms but he is a better prospect than Wilson

Posted Images

It will be interesting to see who (if anyone) from the Jets shows up.

You'd think, if Fields was still an option, they would want to take every opportunity to see him throw and to speak to him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, QB1 said:

He had two injuries in a 6 game season last year, playing behind an NFL OL taking hits from college kids 

can't really say that his o line was nfl caliber but that michigan, clemson, and alabama defenses were college kids right? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

why is there another pro day?

Due to there not being an NFL Combine this year you're seeing more pro days, especially for those elite prospects.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Due to there not being an NFL Combine this year you're seeing more pro days, especially for those elite prospects.

It seems the only reason to have another pro day is to convince the jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Did you watch the video? They're saying everyone is overthinking this by mocking Justin Fields down to the 5th quarterback off the board. Mark my words, he's gonna be the best quarterback from this class. He's like a Cam Newton and Russell Wilson hybrid. We know the kid can take a hit. He's built for the NFL. 

I've always been a big Fields fan, and I would take him at 2.  But I'm pretty certain that's not the way that the Jets are going, and I have come to accept that.

Interesting in the PFT video that Florio mentions that he knows "a former NFL assistant coach" who is absolutely convinced that the Jets are taking Fields.  If that were to be true, JD would be crowned World Poker Champion for life.

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mrcoops said:

I've always been a big Fields fan, and I would take him at 2.  But I'm pretty certain that's not the way that the Jets are going, and I have come to accept that.

Interesting in the PFT video that Florio mentions that he knows "a former NFL assistant coach" who is absolutely convinced that the Jets are taking Fields.  If that were to be true, JD would be crowned World Poker Champion for life.

True but what would the point of misdirecting when they don’t have to

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Did you watch the video? They're saying everyone is overthinking this by mocking Justin Fields down to the 5th quarterback off the board. Mark my words, he's gonna be the best quarterback from this class. He's like a Cam Newton and Russell Wilson hybrid. We know the kid can take a hit. He's built for the NFL. 

So how do we come to the conclusion he can take a hit.  He gets hit in the first half of the Clemson game, plays the entire 2nd half hindered and two weeks later against Bama he was obviously hurt.  

Hes not superman, hit him right, he'll break

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

nteresting in the PFT video that Florio mentions that he knows "a former NFL assistant coach" who is absolutely convinced that the Jets are taking Fields.  If that were to be true, JD would be crowned World Poker Champion for life.

To what end?  Why would the Jets lead people to believe theyre taking Wilson?  There is no advantage to this, no one can jump ahead and take Fields if hes their guy

Does Florio at least take the time to realize how mindless this theory would be?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

True but what would the point of misdirecting when they don’t have to

Yeah, it's probably not true.  Although, possibly, NFL GMs are so accustomed to bluffing that he just can't help himself.

There's also the long-shot possibility that JD wants to convince the 49ers he prefers Wilson, to encourage them to offer a nice trade to swap picks. He could say, well, I love Wilson but I am prepared to let you have him for #3, plus Nick Bosa and some later picks.  Then he picks the guy he always preferred all along in Fields.

Again, not saying that's true or even likely - just imaging possibilities.

At the end of the day, I'm 99% sure we're picking Wilson at 2.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

To what end?  Why would the Jets lead people to believe theyre taking Wilson?  There is no advantage to this, no one can jump ahead and take Fields if hes their guy

Does Florio at least take the time to realize how mindless this theory would be?

It's most likely not true - even Florio acknowledges that in the video.  He was just passing on what he heard from this one contact,

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It seems the only reason to have another pro day is to convince the jets.

OSU like Bama have many draft eligible players, some missed the first pro day , hence a second. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m pretty convinced the pick is going to be Wilson, but if at any point Douglas decides that he is going to go Fields instead, it would be a mistake of ridiculous proportions to not call SF and trade down the one spot.

Absolutely agree. 

I also think theres NO SHOT that Kyle Shanahan is picking Mac ******* Jones at 3 after a trade up. Hell no!

One of the best offensive coaches / QB guru’s in the league isnt trade up for a game manager. Sorry, the pick with be Lance or Fields to sit behind Jimmy for a season, ala Mahomes/Smith

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

True but what would the point of misdirecting when they don’t have to

But are the Jets really misdirecting everyone? Or is it the Media and the pundits that are doing this?

Hoping Fields is still in play at #2.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

It seems the only reason to have another pro day is to convince the jets.

The second Alabama pro day was the same day as fields first so a lot of teams went to Alabama's including the 49ers top brass and the patriots. The jets went to fields except salah for personal reasons.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fields issues are that he disintegrates under pressure. His instincts in the pocket and his mechanics under duress are just atrocious. You’ll not see any of it tested at the pro-day. He’ll look good playing pitch and catch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it will be a huge mistake to pass on this guy. When it’s all said and done I think he’ll be the best QB from this class. Unpopular opinion I know. Just feel like I’ve seen this before 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I’m pretty convinced the pick is going to be Wilson, but if at any point Douglas decides that he is going to go Fields instead, it would be a mistake of ridiculous proportions to not call SF and trade down the one spot.

Yea it’s deff Wilson !! If it isn’t , then it would be an awful move taking Fields at 2 . Could of traded down 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

MMQB - SI.COM

ALBERT BREER 5 HOURS AGO

I think the second pro days for Justin Fields and Trey Lance are going to be really interesting. I’m told the tentative plan for both is to have the NFL folks there run the throwing sessions, rather than have their respective throwing coaches (John Beck and Quincy Avery) script the workouts. Which is definitely different, and will probably be more useful for the teams there. Fields’s is set for Wednesday, and Lance’s is a week from Monday. And Fields’s workout, at least for right now, is set to be closed to the media (outside of OSU’s in-house video people), so teams that want to see it will have to make the trip. As of Sunday, I was told just two teams have committed to being in Columbus—the 49ers … and the Patriots. San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch are expected to lead the Niners’ contingent to Ohio State (and North Dakota State too). As for the Patriots, this is subject to change, but I wouldn’t be surprised if offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is leading a group there for New England that will likely also max out the three allowable people, under the 2021 pro day rules. And so everyone’s clear on this, with private workouts forbidden because of COVID-19 this year, these workouts have to be open to all teams and, as we said, have attendance limited to three people per NFL team. So these aren’t private workouts. But with NFL teams calling the on-field shots, and actual attendance sparse, they may wind up having that feel.

 

Can you feel the trepidation setting in when contemplating the Patriots trading up to get Justin Fields after Joe Douglas passes on him to draft Zach Wilson. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

 

Can you feel the trepidation setting in when contemplating the Patriots trading up to get Justin Fields after Joe Douglas passes on him to draft Zach Wilson. 

actually no... I can’t

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 11:44 AM, Irish Jet said:

Fields issues are that he disintegrates under pressure. His instincts in the pocket and his mechanics under duress are just atrocious. You’ll not see any of it tested at the pro-day. He’ll look good playing pitch and catch.

This is one of the dumbest posts I’ve read all year. Flat out wrong and stupid.

I can do it too, watch - Pitts is at his worst when the ball is in the air and he has to catch it. 

You don’t have to like him, but take this trash outside and leave it there. You don’t need to spew the same bullsh*t in every thread. Zero ppl are unclear on your thoughts on Fields. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

 

Can you feel the trepidation setting in when contemplating the Patriots trading up to get Justin Fields after Joe Douglas passes on him to draft Zach Wilson. 

Not in the smallest bit. Wilson is pretty much #1 or #2 on almost every NFL board for a reason: he is a better prospect than Fields

I mean seriously. Game film is probably 60% of the evaluation of a QB.

And using film you look at the traits the QB has, not the results or competition, but arm strength, release, anticipation, processing speed, situational awareness, placement, touch accuracy, pocket presence.

Wilson is far better at these things than Fields (who is still very good).

You look at athleticism and Fields is ahead. Wilson is far closer than people may realize here.

But the 40% we do not see is super important. 

How does he interview? What is his personality like? What were his work habits? What did his coach and teammates think? Off field issues?

How well can he explain what he did and games and why? Can he break down defenses and protections? (Reminder that Fields had NO responsibility here he was not asked to this)

How well can he retain information? Understand a NFL playbook (Here again Wilson ran a Pro offense, Ohio State ran a true college offense)

What sense do you get of his leadership?

All of this stuff we do not see. Plus there are facts that Fields did not work under shotgun, or do much play action. Fields is a far more unknown prospect in terms of NFL projection than Wilson.

Anyone watching any of the BYU interviews will know that Wilson likely killed it in these areas, we don't know with Fields but he would be less prepared.

Remember, per the GMs own words the evaluation of Fields and Wilson is NOT close.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...