Breer: Douglas speaks on why Jets traded Darnold

Great article. Looks like we're really doing our homework and I like the consensus thing. Also something really important is the tidbit about meeting players.

I'm sure we met with someone who blew us away with regards to brains, character and talent which is really important.

A lot of raw, high-end talents have been succeeding lately off brains and hard work. The guy we draft has to check off character and mental boxes, and it looks like we have 2 of those guys.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, static14 said:

could this finally be the GM, Coach, and QB to turn sh*t around? I really hope so. JD makes you wanna believe.

He does and if he has the chops to do the job it will be enjoyable to watch given his personality

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, slats said:

I like the way Joe Douglas goes about his business but, as always, it comes down to how he drafts. The QB he takes at #2 will be his defining moment, and I’m sure he’s aware of that. 

How about it's my defining moment, your defining moment, the defining moment of the kid pushing carts in the Price Chopper parking lot trying to make an honest buck. I'm sick of this chit. Parsing, parsing, parsing, it's like a mental illness that we all expend so much energy on this team. At games, from afar, in the news . . . um, so what are you doing on Draft Day? Asking for a friend. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

The other thing I really like about that quote is that he clearly understands that he didn’t/wasn’t able to do enough to support Darnold since he arrived in June of 2019. It’s understanding like that which should lead him to build around (presumably) ZW further with this draft. Seems to me that there’s a consensus in the building that we haven’t seen since Bill Parcells was dictator. 

Exactly how I perceived it, my good friend.

Also..this tweet gave me chills. They finally get it.

BFEE2FCE-58E7-4C49-9B74-A31B2D835383.thumb.jpeg.538f7c19d6efbe4030e458f33d7da097.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, jetophile said:

How about it's my defining moment, your defining moment, the defining moment of the kid pushing carts in the Price Chopper parking lot trying to make an honest buck. I'm sick of this chit. Parsing, parsing, parsing, it's like a mental illness that we all expend so much energy on this team. At games, from afar, in the news . . . um, so what are you doing on Draft Day? Asking for a friend. 

I’ll be sitting in my living room, a couple short blocks from the Caribbean Sea, frustratedly trying to find a live broadcast I can cast to my TV, lol. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsbb said:

Strong inference from this article that the 49ers offered their 2nd round pick in this years draft after the Stafford trade. Also looks like the Jets liked Darnold better than Fields, Lance, and Jones.

Schefter said similar. If the Jets were picking 3, Darnold would still be a Jet. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

"It was a clear-cut top two quarterbacks for us. And there was a consensus".

Like other GMs, it sounds like Joe has a gap between his top two QBs and the rest.  

Absolutely. It also says to me that he thinks Darnold is better than everybody but his top two. That's huge too.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Like other GMs, it sounds like Joe has a gap between his top two QBs and the rest.  

Yeah but those crying about heel clicks and headbands disagree.

• Haha 1

This all sounds good. JD said he gave up better trade returns for Darnold so that he could watch Wilson throw in person, I wonder just how much we lost by letting the QB market dry up before accepting Carolina's offer.

Others have said Wilson is JD's defining moment but draft day might be almost as important. He must surround Wilson with talent or he'll look as bad as Sam.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Absolutely. It also says to me that he thinks Darnold is better than everybody but his top two. That's huge too.

Yep, he mentions how he was worried that if he traded Sam, and then one of the top two guys failed a physical. the Jags would take the other, and we'd be "caught in a bad situation". From that, it sounds like the second tier of QBs were never under serious consideration. Which supports what 'footballguy' was saying on here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Whole article is pretty much everything you said along the way.

image.gif.dace0d8cca915c29d08e3f3007793c33.gif

Yep, more or less. 

Was only ever Wilson or Darnold - Still really admire Sam, never aggressively shopping him or the pick - Strive for consensus - Relative importance of pro days, compared to some other teams - Wait on physicals/measurements - probably other stuff. 

Nice work, @football guy

I'm off to buy my Rondale Moore jersey now. ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Any other year, we would’ve had all that information right when that offer was made,” Douglas says. “And in all likelihood, he would’ve been on that other team. But then again, who knows if that offer is made at that point in another year?”

San Francisco inquired in February and early March, and Washington and Denver had touched base (though their interest was tepid)

Very clear from these two statements that Darnold would be a 49er and Jets would have the 43rd pick in this years draft if Douglas was not so overly cautious. Maybe even a greater haul if he could have started a bidding war with the Panthers. If Douglas had three QB's evaluated over Darnold he probably would have pulled the trigger. Very surprising that Fields is thought of so poorly. Its very obvious he is better than Darnold. Jets very lucky the Watson plan fell through for the Panthers or Douglas would be looking like an idiot for waiting.

• Upvote 2

“I don’t know how every team approaches a quarterback [evaluation], but I’ve always thought it was a golden rule—you don’t ever take a quarterback until you stand near or next to a guy and watch him throw the football,” Douglas says. “None of the top brass were able to get out to a BYU game this year. There were no all-star games, no combine. You could see Mac Jones at the Senior Bowl. But other than that, your only opportunity to stand there and watch them throw was at a pro day.

In this Quote Douglas admits he is taking Zach Wilson. LOL

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, section314 said:

Years ago, a good friend of mine upgraded his stereo system, and gave his old one to his little brother...

He said to me, "Jetswinbaby!, if I didn't have a little brother, I think you are so great that I would have given my old stereo to you."...

If the Jets were picking 3rd, would JD have said,"We love Sam, but we just had him graded behind our top 3 QB prospects"...

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, K_O_Brien said:

Agreed.  Douglas even said that if the Jets didn’t have a top 2 pick they wouldn’t have traded Sam.