Breer: Douglas speaks on why Jets traded Darnold

2 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Very clear from these two statements that Darnold would be a 49er and Jets would have the 43rd pick in this years draft if Douglas was not so overly cautious. Maybe even a greater haul if he could have started a bidding war with the Panthers. If Douglas had three QB's evaluated over Darnold he probably would have pulled the trigger. Very surprising that Fields is thought of so poorly. Its very obvious he is better than Darnold. Jets very lucky the Watson plan fell through for the Panthers or Douglas would be looking like an idiot for waiting.

The 49ers pick at 43 is worth 470 points. According to Jeremiah, the trade value of what we received from Carolina is 473 points. So we actually didn't lose anything by waiting. 

I don't think we could have generated much of a bidding war in February, at least not with the Panthers who would have had their focus on Watson. 

Like you, I'm surprised we had Darnold as highly-rated as we did against the other three QBs. The 49ers liked him too, but still liked QB3 enough to give up three first rounders. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  Douglas even said that if the Jets didn’t have a top 2 pick they wouldn’t have traded Sam. 

Can we please stop saying JD said that he would take Darnold over all of the other QBs besides the top 2? He never said that. These are his exact words from the press conference:

He actually said, "If our pick was a little later we wouldn't be having this discussion". Then towards the end of the press conference he said, "like I said earlier, if we were picking later, if we were picking 12,13,14 we wouldn't be having this conversation"

What you can infer from those actual quotes is that he would've taken all 5 QBs in this draft over keeping Darnold. 

That is much different than the spin the media has put on it and what people are falsely claiming on this site. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

The 49ers pick at 43 is worth 470 points. According to Jeremiah, the trade value of what we received from Carolina is 473 points. So we actually didn't lose anything by waiting. 

I don't think we could have generated much of a bidding war in February, at least not with the Panthers who would have had their focus on Watson. 

Like you, I'm surprised we had Darnold as highly-rated as we did against the other three QBs. The 49ers liked him too, but still liked QB3 enough to give up three first rounders. 

So bizarre and honestly they were better served just acquiring Darnold. I know why SF made the deal—they had to worry about CAR/DEN/NE trying to beat them to the punch—but they paid a lot to move up for a QB. 

In hindsight it does suck that we didn’t take the 49ers offer. The sad reality is that absent of #12, I don’t think Douglas would’ve traded him before the pro day cycle was up. 

• Upvote 2

great article. Some things I noticed:

Seems like Zach killed it in the interviews as I suspected he would. Fields could be dropping because he is not. 

No one else was in consideration other than Zach. We all though the 49ers had floated the trade to 3 for 2 as well, but it sounds like in the process of getting offers for Sam to be fair to the other teams JD shared who they would pick if things panned out live at Pro Days and with the medical.  And that information got around. It also completely explains why the SF trade happened on Wilson's Pro Day.

Also debunks the Saleh wanted Sam rumor. Seems it was independently unanimous.  

Now JD MUST follow through on pledge to protect Zach. He failed in that pledge for Sam

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Can we please stop saying JD said that he would take Darnold over all of the other QBs besides the top 2? He never said that. These are his exact words from the press conference:

He actually said, "If our pick was a little later we wouldn't be having this discussion". Then towards the end of the press conference he said, "like I said earlier, if we were picking later, if we were picking 12,13,14 we wouldn't be having this conversation"

What you can infer from those actual quotes is that he would've taken all 5 QBs in this draft over keeping Darnold. 

That is much different than the spin the media has put on it and what people are falsely claiming on this site. 

That’s how i interpreted it.  But it’s all irrelevant.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

So bizarre and honestly they were better served just acquiring Darnold. I know why SF made the deal—they had to worry about CAR/DEN/NE trying to beat them to the punch—but they paid a lot to move up for a QB. 

In hindsight it does suck that we didn’t take the 49ers offer. The sad reality is that absent of #12, I don’t think Douglas would’ve traded him before the pro day cycle was up. 

Seems obvious that the Jets decided Wilson was the guy at the Pro Day who basically says it but why was the deal for Darnold also dead at that point and SF wanted to get up to 3?

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

This all sounds good. JD said he gave up better trade returns for Darnold so that he could watch Wilson throw in person, I wonder just how much we lost by letting the QB market dry up before accepting Carolina's offer.

Others have said Wilson is JD's defining moment but draft day might be almost as important. He must surround Wilson with talent or he'll look as bad as Sam.

He never said that he gave up better trade returns, re-read the article.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Years ago, a good friend of mine upgraded his stereo system, and gave his old one to his little brother...

He said to me, "Jetswinbaby!, if I didn't have a little brother, I think you are so great that I would have given my old stereo to you."...

If the Jets were picking 3rd, would JD have said,"We love Sam, but we just had him graded behind our top 3 QB prospects"...

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt...

This 

Great post

58 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Pointing Up Morgan Freeman GIF by MOODMAN

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

This is why i'm upset by this trade. We're finally doing, and are going to do in the near future, what we should have done 31/2 years ago. Because that never happened we we're almost forced by finances and draft position to jettison Sam. I of course will cheer our new QB, but i really will miss the potential joy of watching Sam turn it around here, after the misery of the last two years.

Sam has  issues that are going to be very difficult to turn around and they are in every aspect of the position. No GM in their right mind given the current situation of the Jets would have moved forward with Sam and so many question marks.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Sam has  issues that are going to be very difficult to turn around and they are in every aspect of the position. No GM in their right mind given the current situation of the Jets would have moved forward with Sam and so many question marks.

I don't think Douglas is lying. They felt more than comfortable moving ahead with Sam. There we're inquiries by teams early on and they still hadn't made a decision. That was after watching all the game tape. If Wilson or Lawrence wasn't available in the draft.Sam would still be here.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

I don't think Douglas is lying. They felt more than comfortable moving ahead with Sam. There we're inquiries by teams early on and they still hadn't made a decision. That was after watching all the game tape. If Wilson or Lawrence wasn't available in the draft.Sam would still be here.

This could also be a clever way of disguising that they hadn’t finished their player evaluations to the point where they concluded there were 2 qbs rated considerably higher than the others.  It allows douglas to continue to save face for trading darnold while complementing him, knowing all the while that a lot of the problems that darnold had in ny will not magically disappear in carolina.

41 minutes ago, jetsrule1969 said:

He never said that he gave up better trade returns, re-read the article.

I'm not going to get into a prolonged debate and I'm not going to search tweets but I did see it reported that SF was willing to give up their 2nd in 2020 for Sam before they gave Miami a haul for #3 OA.

If I'm wrong - then OK - but there were 8 teams calling about Sam and JD said he's not ready to make a decision as there were only 2 QB's he'd consider over Sam but he needed to watch Wilson throw in person.

2 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

Douglas may reflect that he could have done more for Sam - maybe could have signed Conklin or traded for a receiver when we were losing guys to injuries - but I'm not sure this would have been enough to have made enough of a difference. At some point last season, it was sink or swim time for Darnold, and ultimately he wasn't good enough. 

I'm pretty sure JD saw the Titanic pretty early and went all in on the tank.  Gase earned his millions taking all the sh!t from the media while JD trotted Josh Malone and Jeff Smith out there each week...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

I’ll be sitting in my living room, a couple short blocks from the Caribbean Sea, frustratedly trying to find a live broadcast I can cast to my TV, lol. 

Haha. Did you really move to somewhere in the Caribbean? I thought I saw a post or two with a vague reference to it. Jets, mon. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

great article. Some things I noticed:

Seems like Zach killed it in the interviews as I suspected he would. Fields could be dropping because he is not. 

This seems highly likely, at least on the Wilson end.

Many people myself included expected him to blow away interviews, recall, and whiteboard stuff. Looks like that probably happened.

Not sure about how Fields did but that may be a factor in his lower stock. However most reports show he's a smart, and hardworking guy.

• Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Not sure about how Fields did but that may be a factor in his lower stock. However most reports show he's a smart, and hardworking guy.

That performance Fields put on in the Clemson game after taking that shot to the ribs would count alot more to me than how he does in a Zoom interview...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

That performance Fields put on in the Clemson game after taking that shot to the ribs would count alot more to me than how he does in a Zoom interview...

Why? I am not saying this is true, but if you get him on calls and he is not able to recall plays, or explain how he played or retain information he is provided or understand the offensive concepts he is presented. Or if he seems insincere or aloof or arrogant and doesn't have a love for football, you would just default back to he beat Clemson? And Wilson played through a still healing broken thumb so spare me the "he played injured" crap.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, genot said:

You're wrong

23 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I'm not going to get into a prolonged debate and I'm not going to search tweets but I did see it reported that SF was willing to give up their 2nd in 2020 for Sam before they gave Miami a haul for #3 OA.

If I'm wrong - then OK - but there were 8 teams calling about Sam and JD said he's not ready to make a decision as there were only 2 QB's he'd consider over Sam but he needed to watch Wilson throw in person.

This was never said by JD. Even his comments in the press conference were misconstrued by the press. He said if they had pick 12, 13 or 14 they would've kept Sam. I posted his exact quote from the press conference.

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This was never said by JD. Even his comments in the press conference were misconstrued by the press. He said if they had pick 12, 13 or 14 they would've kept Sam. I posted his exact quote from the press conference.

Yes, I did see where JD said if they had pick 12, 13 or 14 they would've kept Sam.

But he also said, quoted in this article.

“It was a strong offer,” Douglas says. “We told them, Look, there’s still a lot of boxes left to check. And we just don’t feel comfortable, in case something happens with one of the top two guys, we don’t want to get caught in a bad situation, like one of two guys fails a physical and then we don’t have Sam. So we didn’t do anything.”

But right in there, you’ll also see that, to a certain degree, the Jets had already zeroed in on who their target would be at 2—and that was a result of a lot of work done in the aftermath of the Jan. 14 hire of Saleh. And at that point, based on their work through the interview process, with Saleh and others, the Jets had come to the conclusion that Darnold would be a solid scheme fit for the Shanahan system that new OC Mike LaFleur was bringing.

“Everyone thought Sam would do well in this offensive scheme,” Douglas says.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Through that early stage, post-Stafford, eight did come to the Jets on Darnold. Remarkably, none came looking for the second pick.

Basically the entire NFL thinks Darnold is better then the 2nd QB in this draft.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Seems like SF chose to trade 3 first round picks for the 3rd qb in this class than a second round pick for Darnold. They clearly liked #3qb more than Sam.  

Very good read.

You get insights into the JD process.  Having Saleh-LaFleur-Knapp-Calabrese independently look at tape of their top 5 QBs prospects.  And present their individual assessment of each QB.  Then collectively go over the game tapes of each QB to come to a consensus.  This is impressive.  And why I'm willing to give my trust in their consensus choice for QB NYJ. 

Whoever that may be.