Why are we signing these OL?

Since we already have at least 3 jag iol I’m having trouble understanding JD’s play here - last two guys signed are worse than what we have now - no chance they represent upgrades to Lewis/Conner/ GVR - Douglas made great pick with Benton but every other ol signing since day one has been underwhelming- he better be planning to draft 2 good iol prospects or else we are in trouble - and if that’s the plan why sign these guys?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

Since we already have at least 3 jag iol I’m having trouble understanding JD’s play here - last two guys signed are worse than what we have now - no chance they represent upgrades to Lewis/Conner/ GVR - Douglas made great pick with Benton but every other ol signing since day one has been underwhelming- he better be planning to draft 2 good iol prospects or else we are in trouble - and if that’s the plan why sign these guys?

you know we need back ups right?

i'm sure this has already been answered but besides needing bodies for back ups and camp fodder it looks like douglas is looking to the draft as the primary means to get the top flight oline talent.  this is good considering top free agents like thuney and conklin demand some pretty hefty salaries.  and you never know with some guys.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Because offensive linemen sometimes take a while to develop. Players the Jets have taken and let go have gone on to be starters elsewhere. A guy like this -whose name I don’t know- could be the next guy who jumps from practice squad fodder to player. 

It costs next to nothing, with zero commitment. It’s buying a scratch-off that’s almost certainly a loser but could win you a million bucks. If you lose your dollar, you really don’t care. But if you hit... 

How many throw away players that we picked up turned into something? 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Because offensive linemen sometimes take a while to develop. Players the Jets have taken and let go have gone on to be starters elsewhere. A guy like this -whose name I don’t know- could be the next guy who jumps from practice squad fodder to player. 

It costs next to nothing, with zero commitment. It’s buying a scratch-off that’s almost certainly a loser but could win you a million bucks. If you lose your dollar, you really don’t care. But if you hit... 

This really is the most annoying thing about offensive lineman. Matt Slauson we developed but he didnt become great until after his rookie contract and we ended up losing him to Chicago. 

It's hard to develop lineman, it takes them awhile and usually its at the tail end of their rookie contract.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

Do we need backups that are absolutely horrendous?  I mean this last guy hasn’t played since 2018.  Feeney is one of the worst rated linemen in the league last year.

Feeney was very poorly rated but the guy had the most snaps out of all o -lineman in the NFL last season or close to it. That’s got to mean something right? At least he’s dependably bad.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Larz said:

What, no hall of famers available on the cheap 3 weeks into free agency?

weird 

It's amazing that people get upset over depth signings. If JD came out and said that we are not drafting OL in the draft because of this signing I could see the issue but the team needs X amount of bodies for camp and in case of a rash of injuries.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, JETSY14 said:

So Joe Douglas should quit taking fliers because the last few guys sucked?  

And again, what does it hurt? You’re bitching about a guy who -even after signing this contract- is just hoping to make it to training camp. This is bottom of the roster stuff that’s gonna be filled by somebody regardless, and JD is just plucking from the best of what’s left in FA before the draft. If you’re criticizing moves like this, you’re just looking for something to criticize. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

So Joe Douglas should quit taking fliers because the last few guys sucked?  

And again, what does it hurt? You’re bitching about a guy who -even after signing this contract- is just hoping to make it to training camp. This is bottom of the roster stuff that’s gonna be filled by somebody regardless, and JD is just plucking from the best of what’s left in FA before the draft. If you’re criticizing moves like this, you’re just looking for something to criticize. 

Quality vs quantity

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, heymangold said:

Do we need backups that are absolutely horrendous?  I mean this last guy hasn’t played since 2018.  Feeney is one of the worst rated linemen in the league last year.

The guy is better than what we had and feeney was one of worst startes....i.e. best back ups.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ncjetman said:

First year following the sport, eh?

10 hours ago, JETSY14 said:

Enough that you keep picking them up

Is your plan no backups because backups usually arent known and proven good enough to be relied on as starters 

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Enough that you keep picking them up

Is your plan no backups because backups usually arent known and proven good enough to be relied on as starters 

We are picking up guys that were released by 4 teams in less than a year and a half... Another that was Ranked as the worst center in the league and ranked 50 th out of all guards.  How about a little quality.  Better yet I would take a unknown young kid that was undrafted instead of the garbage we are getting

4 minutes ago, JETSY14 said:

We are picking up guys that were released by 4 teams in less than a year and a half... Another that was Ranked as the worst center in the league and ranked 50 th out of all guards.  How about a little quality.  Better yet I would take a unknown young kid that was undrafted instead of the garbage we are getting

You also do know that players are signed to fill spots for camp only, to keep the real players fresh.  That these players if they dont prove they belong can be cut.  Right?

5 minutes ago, JETSY14 said:

You clearly have no idea how roster construction works.

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You also do know that players are signed to fill spots for camp only, to keep the real players fresh.  That these players if they dont prove they belong can be cut.  Right?

Let's see if we can talk a couple players out of retirement and get them to fill some spots  on the line