Don't you wish you had more legitimate complaints about Joe Douglas?

slats

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Hahahahaha cmon man, don't be ridiculous.

If he picks a defensive player with any of the first 3 picks he doesn't understand football and will never be a good GM.

Wow....that's a bit of an all or nothing take on it.

Sent from the NY Jets Draft Suicide Watch desk.

Nope.  It would clearly mean, to me, that he doesn't understand the NFL.  Just like Mac didn't understand the NFL.  You can be involved in something your entire life, rise to the level of an NFL franchise GM and not understand how to do your job well. 

I think our last two GM's have clearly proven that to be correct.

Taking defense after what this team has just been through - and taking a QB at #2 overall.  Will be a clear indication, to me, that he's in over his head.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

8 minutes ago, slats said:

The idea of taking a RB or TE when there's an Edge or CB they like as much or better turns my stomach. If JD feels one of those defensive positions is too much value to pass up at #23 or #34, I'm completely and totally fine with that. If he spends both of those picks on defense, I'll be less fine. I really like the idea of getting an OT with one of those picks who plays guard this year and takes over for Fant next. 

You can find starting TEs, RBs, and Gs in the middle rounds virtually every year. I'd like to see a couple of his mid/late picks from last year show something under the new staff, and for him to keep filling the queue with developmental talent in this year's draft. 

I get it, I really do but If there's such a can't miss defensive prospect there - that he can't refuse - because it's too good value.

Then trade down.  They'll certainly be a market for such a valuable asset.  There are always RB's, TE, C, Guards and WR's, worthy of being first round picks - the value will be there.  RB's and TE's help an offense too

Take the BOPA - that should be the plan at 23 and 34.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

You're right that's what they should do 

What they will do is draft edge, olb and other defense because switching to a 4-3 is ridiculous and they lack starters at several spots 

Put it another way, JD thinks Fant is great and feeney is a funny mullet dude. He doesn't see these as problems 

Outside linebacker is a huge damn problem. They literally don't have a will or Sam on the roster. There's no other er besides Lawson and teams need 2. Cb is a wasteland 

All of these problems are more dire in jds mind than building an offense

He's going to draft Zach wilson and ask the kid to be the offense 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get it, I really do but If there's such a can't miss defensive prospect there - that he can't refuse - because it's too good value.

Then trade down.  They'll certainly be a market for such a valuable asset.  There are always RB's, TE, C, Guards and WR's, worthy of being first round picks - the value will be there.  RB's and TE's help an offense too

Premium position with premium picks, especially as you're still rebuilding. 

QB (check!), OT, WR, Edge, CB

He really shouldn't be looking at any other positions that high. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

JD has said from Day 1 what he's about, and that is building the team from the trenches out via the draft.  If he hits on his picks, he'll be a living legend.  If he doesn't within a year or two, @Creepy Lurker will start another epic 200 page thread to have him fired...

I approve of this message. The current fire Joe Douglas thread is premature. Only I can decide when it’s ok to fire the GM. My ex-captain status grants me those powers. 

• Haha 2

captain of a two win team -so far that is all he has accomplished-team is worse now then when he got the job-if he gets us to 12 wins and the AFC championship like Parcells I will crown him until then his only accomplishments are "hope"

parcells year two -afc championship

parcells was handed a team that was 4-28 under kotite

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

No more, "why couldn't he convince Joe Thuney to sign with the 2-14 Jets over the back-to-back AFC champs?" 

Or, "remember that time he took a backup QB with the second of three fourth rounders? I'm still not over that!" 

Or, "I can't believe he's signing guys who might not even make the final roster. Why doesn't he sign eighty-five starters?" 

Don't worry, kids, your time is coming! 

With this draft, the Jets will be cemented as Joe Douglas' team, for better or worse. He's got his hand-picked head coach. And not just the only coach who would take his calls, but a highly sought after head coaching candidate. In a few weeks, he'll have his shiny new hand-picked QB as well. Imagine? No longer having to bitch about a QB taken at #125 because now you can bitch about one taken #2 overall! How much fun is that going to be?!?

Depending on any draft picks trades, over two years he will have added three first round picks, two seconds, four thirds and four fourths. Three years worth of top half picks over the course of two. His free agents, too, on his terms. 

The team was dog **** when he stepped into the building in June of 2019. He cut Maccagnan's second pick that year before the season. He dug up the grave of Ryan Kalil because he recognized that the OL was in terrible shape. But coming in after the prime free agency period and the draft, there was little he could do but self-scout and the results have been a significant purge and rebuild in pretty short order.

Everything isn't going to be fixed in this draft, but a lot of things should be in place by the time it's done. We talk about the endless rebuild here but if Joe Douglas does his job well in the draft, we shouldn't be talking about the rebuild continuing next offseason. We should be talking about filling the last few holes, and maybe someone like me who hates taking RBs too early can start entertaining that idea next year when they have two firsts and two seconds to spend. No one should be expecting playoffs this year, but we should expect a team that looks competent and competitive with far fewer holes than they had in June of 2019. A team poised to get back into the post-season. 

And you guys will have things far more substantial to talk about other than who they're talking to about their backup QB spot. Should be fun! 

Nope, I can wait. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I didn't say he needs to take a guard.  I said he needs to not take defense.

Any player on the offensive side of the ball will be fine.  Taking defense will tell me that Joe Douglas fundamentally does not understand the NFL and is highly unlikely to ever be a good GM.

That's based on what the team looks like now.  Maybe he trades for two starting caliber linemen, a RB, a TE and WR before the draft...no problem if he goes defense, but barring that - offense needs to be the pick at 23 and 34.

And again....why?

If a guy like Kwity Paye falls in the draft and we have to take offense.

No way.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The real way to develop a player like Zach wilson is to build a program before he arrives... Maybe let him sit a year 

What the Jets are going to do is throw him to the wolves and at some point we will be here on Max's board wondering what happened to Zach Wilson 

3 years. Book it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Improvement.

Gase went 7-9 before ultimately sinking. That 7-9 season was a total illusion. They stunk big time. Easy schedule and really didn’t play.  My hope is they show progress in their overall competitiveness.  Last year the Chargers lost several games by a few points. Their offense rocked under Herbert.  That’s what I’m hoping for.  An offense that can score points and a team that plays hard and is no pushover. Wins in time will come.  Good teams find a way to win. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If it takes defense at 23 or 34 they'll be plenty to complain about. 

This is just wrong-headed. Who is picked at either depends on how the draft falls. Only an idiot would take a reach to fill a need with a valuable pick. Let's see what he does overall. If he gives priority to the offense, I'll be happy. But you can't ignore the defensive holes and form a winning team. 

• Upvote 3

It appears to me that Joe Douglas will be the best GM we've ever had.  Yup, we won 2 games and just traded away our savior Sam Darnold after ruining him, yup we let Robby Anderson walk for nothing, whatever, this thing had to be stripped down to it's foundation and that process is almost complete but won't be until we get rid of the $16 million dead cap still left over from Mac - holy sh*t I can't believe we still have $16 mill dead cap this year!  That's another elite player or at least 2 very good players worth of cap room we'll have next off season.  It will take another year to get rid of CJ Mosely's crazy contract, we can cut him after 2022 for 3 mill dead cap hit.  So really it will be 2023 until this team is fully Joe Douglas's with every roster spot and every cap dollar being his.

We have a really healthy cap after this year.  Not a single overpriced aging veteran outside of Mosely (again Mac's fault).  

We will have a rookie contract QB with unlimited upside.

Tons of draft capital to support the rookie and build this team out.  Don't expect 2021 to be great, there are too many holes to fill in one off season and we have what I think will be an awesome new HC and offensive system that will need a little seasoning.

The cap is going to go up significantly after 2022.  We will retain our pillars of QW and Mekhi Becton and continue to add more.

We will be able to sign FA's with our healthy cap and a QB on a rookie deal.

The culture will change.  The SOJF's will wash off the soul grime we've been bathing in for 50 years.  

The practice facility is top notch.  New cutting edge medical staff.  Owner's stepping back.  JD stepping in with a clear plan.  New energetic, inspirational, and smart HC who is young and hungry.  New OC who is versed in the Shanahan system who also happens to be brothers with a great offensive mind.  The front office is built out with experienced and successful guys.  All of our position coaches are of the same mind, capable and going to be all gas, no brakes.

I really think the Jets are at a pivoting to respectability.  I think we are on the path to becoming a well respected, well run organization similar to the Ravens and Steelers. It's not going to all happen in 2021 but I think we are on the road to it.

• Upvote 4