Jump to content

Don't you wish you had more legitimate complaints about Joe Douglas?


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Lb is a dire need and frankly so is edge. Just like how Becton is not an entire line, teams need 2 edge rushers. Lawson is a start. 

In general changing from the 4-3 to the 3-4 or vice versa takes multiple seasons. Fans are overlooking this 

 

I assume they might kick edge down the curb a little because man there’s a lot of bodies on the DL. Pretty sure they could field a roster with 10 DL I’d be comfortable with today - 4 DT’s, 4 DE’s, and two hybrid guys. I had wanted two pass rushers in FA though and they definitely need them. This class is kind of gross though. I know traits are important but it’s ALL traits over production. Next year’s class looks far better.

That said since they brought in Rankins I do kind of wonder if Fatukasi and Shepherd fit what they’re doing and if not whether Douglas might try to move them for a late round pick around the draft. They’re NFL players who I’m sure could have value to someone. Or even just swap one for a linebacker.

I do think they’ll want someone to play across from Lawson and honestly have no clue if they want to try to replicate Arik Armstead because I have no clue how they’d do that if they do. Rare dude.

But yeah. Edge definitely a need. At least there are bodies there though. Linebacker is just barren.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No more, "why couldn't he convince Joe Thuney to sign with the 2-14 Jets over the back-to-back AFC champs?"  Or, "remember that time he took a backup QB with the second of three fourth rounders?

Being miserable and treating the GM like dirt is every Jets fan’s god given right.

I’ve been in a seething rage since we drafted James Morgan (over that great nickel corner whose name I can’t spell on the Rams!!) my wife left me over it  

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The thing is we need so much on offense.  
The defense wasn’t awful and we’ve added two quality pieces and Mosley is coming back. 
 

The offense was literally one of the worst in this history of the league and we added a #2 WR.  That’s it.  We still have the worst OL I’ve ever seen.  No upgrades at all.  

we’re going to ruin Wilson the way we did Darnold if we don’t make some serious upgrades.  No quality FA’s left so it’s gotta come from the draft. 

This can be true, and it can also be true that the Jets don't have to spend their next two picks after the QB on offensive players. There's more than one way to build a football team, and by all appearances JD wants to build a complete football team, not build it one unit at a time. The #23 going offense or defense isn't going to be the deciding factor in JD's career, getting a stud at that pick regardless of position (within the premium position/needs category, of which there are plenty of options) is the real key for him. 

Most disappointing thing on offense was the inability to land an upgrade on the OL. So that needs to happen. But I like Cole as a WR #4, and he's an upgrade over the Jets starters most of last year. They added a veteran RB in Tevin Coleman (which would pretty much round out the RBs for me). I also think people are sleeping on Chris Herndon, who I really think will have the ability to thrive in this offense. It wasn't just the players on the offensive side of the ball, it was Gase, Loggains, and Darnold, too. Changing the coaches, system, and QB oughta help there. Rather significantly, I think we all hope. 

I just don't see the sky falling on offense the way you do -provided they get that one IOL relatively high this year- and I don't want them treating the draft like it's an offensive emergency. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, derp said:

I think linebacker is more gaping than either position actually. Corner and guard need to be upgraded but have bodies, and guys signed for multiple years. Linebacker needs to be upgraded and needs bodies. I think they’ve got one clear cut starter this year and he’s a reclamation project on a one year deal.

Look for the Jet's to target Jabrill Cox from LSU. Very good in coverage. Might have to trade back up into the 2nd rd for him though.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Schwartz is done that’s why KC cut him

..he had to have surgery for a back injury.he's hoping to be back.

just an fyi ;  >  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30957726/kansas-city-chiefs-tackle-mitchell-schwartz-back-surgery-eyes-healthy-2021-season

~ ~ Photo by Mitchell Schwartz in Dallas, Texas. May be an image of 1 person.

  • mitchschwartz71's profile picture
    Verified
    Injury Update: I’m getting surgery today. I was hoping to recover enough during the season to get back on the field, especially for the playoffs and Super Bowl, but that never happened. It’s time to address the issue since it isn’t going away on its own. The recovery process isn’t too long, hence being able to wait until now to do it, otherwise I would have done this earlier. Looking forward to a healthy 2021! #Chiefs #ChiefsKingdom
    6w
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

QB is, literally the only thing that matters!

And by all accounts, we will take one at #2.

We signed two WR in F/A and some camp bodies for the line.  We signed a RB and a blocking TE. We signed OL depth and resigned some guys on the line.  

We will be drafting players on that side of the ball.  BUT...

If a guy like Kwity Paye falls to #23, you take him.  Cut and dry.  There will still be plenty of opportunities to get a C, guards, TE's, WR's later in the draft. 

The odds of Paye falling are minimal.  But you don't go into the draft saying "we have to take offense no matter what for our first 4 picks.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slats said:

This can be true, and it can also be true that the Jets don't have to spend their next two picks after the QB on offensive players. There's more than one way to build a football team, and by all appearances JD wants to build a complete football team, not build it one unit at a time. The #23 going offense or defense isn't going to be the deciding factor in JD's career, getting a stud at that pick regardless of position (within the premium position/needs category, of which there are plenty of options) is the real key for him. 

Most disappointing thing on offense was the inability to land an upgrade on the OL. So that needs to happen. But I like Cole as a WR #4, and he's an upgrade over the Jets starters most of last year. They added a veteran RB in Tevin Coleman (which would pretty much round out the RBs for me). I also think people are sleeping on Chris Herndon, who I really think will have the ability to thrive in this offense. It wasn't just the players on the offensive side of the ball, it was Gase, Loggains, and Darnold, too. Changing the coaches, system, and QB oughta help there. Rather significantly, I think we all hope. 

I just don't see the sky falling on offense the way you do -provided they get that one IOL relatively high this year- and I don't want them treating the draft like it's an offensive emergency. 

Everything you wrote makes complete sense - I understand what you're saying and I agree with you as to what JD's thought process is...

With that said, I simply disagree.

My point isn't  even about offense over defense - it's about one thing and one thing only - Developing our QB!

That's it, that's the only thing that should matter.  Again, IMO, Over the next two years JD should ask himself one thing before making any move with premium resources - "Will this help Zach Wilson?"  If the answer is no, then he shouldn't do it. Putting premium resources into defense right now, IMO, is short sighted.

If you take the next two years and go all in to surround our young QB with as much as possible (even if that means forgoing defense) give him him the best possible chance to develop into a real franchise QB, then you have 15 years to build a defense.  You'll be a Super Bowl threat every year.

QB is getting to a point where it's pretty much the only thing that matters and the position is only going to grown in importance.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And by all accounts, we will take one at #2.

We signed two WR in F/A and some camp bodies for the line.  We signed a RB and a blocking TE. We signed OL depth and resigned some guys on the line.  

We will be drafting players on that side of the ball.  BUT...

If a guy like Kwity Paye falls to #23, you take him.  Cut and dry.  There will still be plenty of opportunities to get a C, guards, TE's, WR's later in the draft. 

The odds of Paye falling are minimal.  But you don't go into the draft saying "we have to take offense no matter what for our first 4 picks.  

Yes, in this circumstance you do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, in this circumstance you do.

Well, than all I can say is me personally, glad you ain't running the show!  :)

Because if the Jets pick a guard when the draft is deep with guards and Kwity Paye is sitting there, my TV will go out the window.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Well, than all I can say is me personally, glad you ain't running the show!  :)

Because if the Jets pick a guard when the draft is deep with guards and Kwity Paye is sitting there, my TV will go out the window.

 

BOAP - through the first 3 rounds.

You're making it sound like the only position on offense is guard.  They'll be value at 23 for an offensive player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 10:00 AM, slats said:

Imagine? No longer having to bitch about a QB taken at #125 because now you can bitch about one taken #2 overall! How much fun is that going to be?!?

I cant wait tbh, I already started and hes not even drafted yet

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Smh. Looks like a lot of us didn’t learn our lesson after all the “Exec of the year!!!!” stuff in ‘15.

JD has been ok so far, but nothing special like a large part of this thread and this board would have you believe. He still has time to build it up though.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

BOAP - through the first 3 rounds.

You're making it sound like the only position on offense is guard.  They'll be value at 23 for an offensive player.

Again....I am not against picking offense.  But you HAVE to be flexible.  If Jamarr Chase, or Sewell, or Pitts falls to 23 and Kwity Paye is there as well, I take Pitts without hesitation.

BUT

If Kwity Paye is sitting there, but we take Najee Harris or Travis Etienne at RB, or we take Ver Tucker at T, or Rashad Bateman  or Rondale Moore at WR, or Josh Myers at C, that is just INSANE.  You can't get a player like Paye later in the draft, but you sure can get all those offensive players listed later.  This is another deep draft with offensive talent.

We are arguing a hypothetical which has about a 1 percent chance of happening.  But the important thing here is to have flexibility.  You HAVE to be flexible at the draft or else you get Mike McGagnan all over again.  Same with offence.

What happens if Justin Fields goes to Jax.  We are a lock to take Zach Wilson, but what....we pass up Lawrence because we are locked in to take Wilson?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Everything you wrote makes complete sense - I understand what you're saying and I agree with you as to what JD's thought process is...

With that said, I simply disagree.

My point isn't  even about offense over defense - it's about one thing and one thing only - Developing our QB!

That's it, that's the only thing that should matter.  Again, IMO, Over the next two years JD should ask himself one thing before making any move with premium resources - "Will this help Zach Wilson?"  If the answer is no, then he shouldn't do it. Putting premium resources into defense right now, IMO, is short sighted.

If you take the next two years and go all in to surround our young QB with as much as possible (even if that means forgoing defense) give him him the best possible chance to develop into a real franchise QB, then you have 15 years to build a defense.  You'll be a Super Bowl threat every year.

QB is getting to a point where it's pretty much the only thing that matters and the position is only going to grown in importance.

 

I think we’ve already seen that he’s not going to do this and, to me, that’s a good thing. I suspect that spending more on defense in FA is probably a signal that he’ll -for the second year in a row- prioritize offense in the draft, but that we will not pass on better prospects on the other side of the ball which would hurt the overall team while hopefully helping the QB.

Having a quality defense helps the QB. It takes pressure off of him the same way a solid running game does. And if I’m Joe Douglas, I’m not thinking about 15 years from now so much as I’m thinking about the length of ZW’s rookie contract, and how quickly I can put a whole team together to compete for a championship. Because if Zach Wilson is the real deal -and I really hope he is!- it’s gonna be a lot easier to build that team before he’s making $40M+/year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the basic premise of the thread.  JD is very deliberate and obviously focused on value in the draft.  He has his board and he plays his hand how he wants.  I was very surprised last year with the trade back and still ending up with Mims (who needs to show better this year).  I can definitely see him drafting either the best CB or ER left on the board at #23 and I'm OK with that.  My dream is he can somehow walk away with two or three of Etienne, Harris, Jenkins, Eichenberg, Leatherwood, Humphrey or Dickerson with picks 23, 34, and 66.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Smh. Looks like a lot of us didn’t learn our lesson after all the “Exec of the year!!!!” stuff in ‘15.

JD has been ok so far, but nothing special like a large part of this thread and this board would have you believe. He still has time to build it up though.

I agree, there's clearly some good but there's a lot of bad in there too.

This is the year that will tell us a lot.  I think the past two years was really just a tear down.  The rebuild starts now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again....I am not against picking offense.  But you HAVE to be flexible.  If Jamarr Chase, or Sewell, or Pitts falls to 23 and Kwity Paye is there as well, I take Pitts without hesitation.

BUT

If Kwity Paye is sitting there, but we take Najee Harris or Travis Etienne at RB, or we take Ver Tucker at T, or Rashad Bateman  or Rondale Moore at WR, or Josh Myers at C, that is just INSANE.  You can't get a player like Paye later in the draft, but you sure can get all those offensive players listed later.  This is another deep draft with offensive talent.

We are arguing a hypothetical which has about a 1 percent chance of happening.  But the important thing here is to have flexibility.  You HAVE to be flexible at the draft or else you get Mike McGagnan all over again.  Same with offence.

What happens if Justin Fields goes to Jax.  We are a lock to take Zach Wilson, but what....we pass up Lawrence because we are locked in to take Wilson?

 

Two things:

1) If there's such a can't miss defensive player on the board when we're ready to pick, someone that dropped to us that has great value.....Then you know what, you trade down.  If he's so good, teams should be lining up to get him.  Takes those extra picks and draft more offense.

2) You build a draft board and stick with your draft board - there just shouldn't be defense on it (IMO, through pick 66)  You'll have plenty of flexibility - there are a lot offensive players in this draft. 

If Fields goes 1 overall.  Then you take whatever QB you have #1 on your board.  My understanding is Wilson is actually #1 on their board.  but if Lawrence is #1, then you take Lawrence,.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Two things:

1) If there's such a can't miss defensive player on the board when we're ready to pick, someone that dropped to us that has great value.....Then you know what, you trade down.  If he's so good, teams should be lining up to get him.  Takes those extra picks and draft more offense.

2) You build a draft board and stick with your draft board - there just shouldn't be defense on it (IMO, through pick 66)  You'll have plenty of flexibility - there are a lot offensive players in this draft. 

If Fields goes 1 overall.  Then you take whatever QB you have #1 on your board.  My understanding is Wilson is actually #1 on their board.  but if Lawrence is #1, then you take Lawrence,.

Again, we would draft differently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Smh. Looks like a lot of us didn’t learn our lesson after all the “Exec of the year!!!!” stuff in ‘15.

JD has been ok so far, but nothing special like a large part of this thread and this board would have you believe. He still has time to build it up though.

Shipping talent off the team is the easy part.  He's done pretty well in maximizing the value for the talent that he's given up (Leo, Darnold, Jamal).

The hard part is acquiring talent.  Becton, Mims, Hall look like they'll be good.  As for the rest of them, the kindest I can be is saying I'm optimist and the jury is still out.  There have been hits and misses....  FAs like Alex Lewis, McGovern, GVR, Fant, one-year burner contracts like Perriman, emergency signings like Ryan Kalil, the kickers, etc. and most importantly our 2020 3rd and 4th round picks - Perine, Morgan, Davis, Cam Clarke, Zuniga.  That's a mixed bag of Meh and it says something that the Jets are looking to upgrade literally all 4 of the free agent OLinemen JD acquired last year because that line ranked 29th in the NFL while getting a solid performance from a rookie LT.

GMs are judged on talent acquisition, not how well they did at their garage sale.  There's really no way anyone can give any grade other than Incomplete for JD right now.  In terms of "his guys" there are very few who have played more than one season (ex. Alex Lewis) here so far.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Smh. Looks like a lot of us didn’t learn our lesson after all the “Exec of the year!!!!” stuff in ‘15.

JD has been ok so far, but nothing special like a large part of this thread and this board would have you believe. He still has time to build it up though.

If JD has nothing more than an average "hit rate" in the Draft as compared to other teams then I'm okay with that if his strategy is to accumulate more picks and get more swings at pitches so to speak. In other words, it's a really bad problem when a GM thinks he's so good that he can hit on all his picks and doesn't need that many or trades up by giving away later/future picks.  I appreciate a guy who has confidence in his ability to scout and identify talent, but also isn't overconfident, knows he'll miss on some guys and plays the averages by giving himself more chances thru occasionally trading down and accumulating.

I've been notably critical of the 2020 picks in Rounds 3 and 4.  It's still early and I won't judge them fully until they've had a solid 2 or 3 years in the League, but thus far.... an underwhelming group.  On the flip side, let's say two or three of those guys turn into eventual starters or at least solid rotational contributors (ex. Perine becoming a RB2, Davis turning into a starting Safety, Zuniga turning into a solid 3rd down passrusher and seeing 20+ snaps per game, etc.) then that's not bad.  My math won't necessarily be that JD didn't hit a high enough percentage of starters it will be that he got 2 or 3 solid players out of two rounds by accumulating more picks in those rounds.

We're going to look back on the 2020 and 2021 seasons particularly as the years we got a peak in the kitchen and saw how the sausage is being made.  It won't be pretty, but let's hope by 2022 it's coming off the grill hot and tasty!

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 11:06 AM, jeremy2020 said:

I was wondering what happened to @SAR I 

He has better things to do than worry about a team so dedicated to perpetual rebuilding that they don’t actually know how to build.  

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He has better things to do than worry about a team so dedicated to perpetual rebuilding that they don’t actually know how to build.  

SAR I

oh..

 

:beer:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Shipping talent off the team is the easy part.  He's done pretty well in maximizing the value for the talent that he's given up (Leo, Darnold, Jamal).

The hard part is acquiring talent.  Becton, Mims, Hall look like they'll be good.  As for the rest of them, the kindest I can be is saying I'm optimist and the jury is still out.  There have been hits and misses....  FAs like Alex Lewis, McGovern, GVR, Fant, one-year burner contracts like Perriman, emergency signings like Ryan Kalil, the kickers, etc. and most importantly our 2020 3rd and 4th round picks - Perine, Morgan, Davis, Cam Clarke, Zuniga.  That's a mixed bag of Meh and it says something that the Jets are looking to upgrade literally all 4 of the free agent OLinemen JD acquired last year because that line ranked 29th in the NFL while getting a solid performance from a rookie LT.

GMs are judged on talent acquisition, not how well they did at their garage sale.  There's really no way anyone can give any grade other than Incomplete for JD right now.  In terms of "his guys" there are very few who have played more than one season (ex. Alex Lewis) here so far.

Exactly all of this. Was tearing down the team the right thing to do? Yes. Should he be revered for it the way we're seeing all over the board? No. For one thing, it's the easy part of the rebuild. For another, there wasn't much to tear down to begin with. 

He's built up his war chest with an impressive amount of both number of picks overall and number of premium picks. He's in year 3 of his contract and now has his guys at HC and QB. At this point, there is nothing more to tear down. He needs to build it up, and he's running out of time. Draft picks are judged in years 3 and 4, and barring an extension, this will be the last draft he'll get the full judgement period over. If his first draft and first two FA periods were any indication, he'll need to pick it up or he'll join the long list of sh*t at the Jets GM position.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been notably critical of the 2020 picks in Rounds 3 and 4.  It's still early and I won't judge them fully until they've had a solid 2 or 3 years in the League, but thus far.... an underwhelming group.  

I agree that it's early. However, it's not like last year's draft picks were competing with the '94 49ers starters. It's a very bad look that most of last year's draft class couldn't see the field or couldn't make an impact when they did see the field, given that the starters were sh*t in a 2-14 season. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I agree that it's early. However, it's not like last year's draft picks were competing with the '94 49ers starters. It's a very bad look that most of last year's draft class couldn't see the field or couldn't make an impact when they did see the field, given that the starters were sh*t in a 2-14 season. 

Agreed.  I'll put some of it on Gase but Douglas is certainly culpable as well.  The fact that 4th round picks James Morgan and Cam Clarke never saw a single live NFL snap during a lost season when games were meaningless by Week 8 was a complete crime!  It's developmental negligence for those players.  There were some injuries and what not, but not a single game, not a single quarter or drive for James Morgan?  C'mon man!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Two things:

1) If there's such a can't miss defensive player on the board when we're ready to pick, someone that dropped to us that has great value.....Then you know what, you trade down.  If he's so good, teams should be lining up to get him.  Takes those extra picks and draft more offense,

This is a fantastic point. 

I have no doubt that the BPA at 23 will be a defensive player or RB.  No doubt.  That is why the Jets always drafted too many defensive players.  With their dual reporting system, the GM wanted to draft players that would not bust.  You do that by taking the highest rated players.  Easy Peasy, bad team.

So if the priority is offense, you trade that pick.    But it Kwity is there, you take him.  

I think in the 2nd round and below players should be close enough such that BPA is pretty bunched.  If JD takes BOPA in rounds 2 and 3, and then looks for TEs and LBs after that, I think we will be in decent shape. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, slats said:

This can be true, and it can also be true that the Jets don't have to spend their next two picks after the QB on offensive players. There's more than one way to build a football team, and by all appearances JD wants to build a complete football team, not build it one unit at a time. 

Fine.

But the proof will be in the production.

If we're once again an offensive also-ran and ranked 20th or worse in Offense in 2021 with a losing record, well.......

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Exactly all of this. Was tearing down the team the right thing to do? Yes. Should he be revered for it the way we're seeing all over the board? No. For one thing, it's the easy part of the rebuild. For another, there wasn't much to tear down to begin with. 

He's built up his war chest with an impressive amount of both number of picks overall and number of premium picks. He's in year 3 of his contract and now has his guys at HC and QB. At this point, there is nothing more to tear down. He needs to build it up, and he's running out of time. Draft picks are judged in years 3 and 4, and barring an extension, this will be the last draft he'll get the full judgement period over. If his first draft and first two FA periods were any indication, he'll need to pick it up or he'll join the long list of sh*t at the Jets GM position.

Read the first post in this thread and try to find where I'm disagreeing with you. Is Joe Douglas really being revered? 

10 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I agree that it's early. However, it's not like last year's draft picks were competing with the '94 49ers starters. It's a very bad look that most of last year's draft class couldn't see the field or couldn't make an impact when they did see the field, given that the starters were sh*t in a 2-14 season. 

The worst roster, the worst coach, the worst QB...  how do you judge anyone from last year's team? 

Now JD has two full offseasons just about under his belt, which will include his own coach and his own QB. I don't know know what's gonna happen, but this is the year he's taken ownership of everything. Whether he goes from famous to infamous remains to be seen. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fine.

But the proof will be in the production.

If we're once again an offensive also-ran and ranked 20th or worse in Offense in 2021 with a losing record, well.......

I'll tell you right now that if the Jets have an offense ranked 20th overall at the end of the year, I'm gonna consider that to be a dramatic improvement that should be a sign of better things to come. I do not have winning record hopes this year. I just want some clear evidence that the team is on the right track with the new HC and QB. A strong finish would leave me fairly content in their first season together. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 4:10 PM, bitonti said:

We treat him like this 

The reality is that his roster won 2 games last year 

The sad reality of our Jets is that both these things can be true at the same time.

Best GM in years

Won 2 games in 2020.

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slats said:

I'll tell you right now that if the Jets have an offense ranked 20th overall at the end of the year, I'm gonna consider that to be a dramatic improvement that should be a sign of better things to come.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, slats said:

I do not have winning record hopes this year.

Well, of course you don't.  You're what I'd call a "Six Year Rebuild Guy".

No real expectations till the END of the current rebuild, which always takes one year longer than the current GM and Head Coach have before being fired.  LOL.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I just want some clear evidence that the team is on the right track with the new HC and QB. A strong finish would leave me fairly content in their first season together. 

Win > 7 games.

Finish at least near 15th in Offense.

i.e. Average.  

It's not in fact too much to ask for.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

giphy.gif

Well, of course you don't.  You're what I'd call a "Six Year Rebuild Guy".

No real expectations till the END of the current rebuild, which always takes one year longer than the current GM and Head Coach have before being fired.  LOL.

Win > 7 games.

Finish at least near 15th in Offense.

i.e. Average.  

It's not in fact too much to ask for.

You're set up for disappointment, while I'm maybe in position to be pleasantly surprised. 

Rookie head coach, rookie offensive coordinator, rookie QB. It's highly unlikely to be smooth sailing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer 6h

New York Jets deal their way into franchise-changing game of '21'

 
share-icon-fb.png share-icon-tw.png wapp.png
i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2021%2F0406%2Fdm_210406_NFL_Analysis_Kiper_on_Darnold%2Fdm_210406_NFL_Analysis_Kiper_on_Darnold.jpg&w=320&h=180&scale=crop&location=origin
 
 
 

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Card shark: Joe Douglas wants to build through the draft. Every general manager says that. When was the last time you heard a GM say, "I don't care about draft picks. I want to spend a ton of my owner's money on free agents so we can be in salary-cap hell"?

In Douglas' case, it's not lip service.

Because of the Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams trades, he's sitting on a war chest of draft picks. The Jets have 21 picks in 2021 and 2022; the last time they made that many selections in back-to-back drafts was 1997 and 1998, Bill Parcells' first two years in charge.

Those 21 choices include seven in Rounds 1 and 2. If the Jets use all of those picks, it would be the most in the first two rounds over a two-year period in franchise history. The best comparison is 2000-01, when they made six picks -- including four first-rounders in the watershed 2000 draft.

From a leaguewide perspective, this sort of thing doesn't happen often. In 2018 and 2019, the Indianapolis Colts made eight picks in the first and second rounds -- thanks to the Jets, coincidentally.

 

The Cleveland Browns also hit the eight mark in 2017 and 2018. Prior to them, you have to go back to the New England Patriots (2010-11) to find a team that reached seven.

All three teams wound up drafting generational-type players -- guard Quenton Nelson (Colts), defensive end Myles Garrett (Browns) and tight end Rob Gronkowski (Patriots).

Douglas has no excuses. Whether you liked the trades or not, he set himself up to restock the Jets' roster with talent. It also affords him tremendous flexibility. If a high-profile player hits the trading block, which is happening with greater frequency, the Jets will have the draft capital to make a deal. Prepare for rumors galore over the next 12 months.

"Ultimately, with the premium picks -- your first-, second-, third-round picks -- those are the picks you're looking to become starters on your team," Douglas said. " ... We do have a lot of assets as we sit here now, but we have to make the most of this opportunity."

2. Turning three into eight: Douglas knew this was going to be a tough job, which explains why he insisted on a six-year contract. After the Darnold trade, he hinted it's tougher than he imagined.

"When I walked in this building in June of 2019," he said, "I never thought we'd be sitting here and talking about ... trading Leonard [Williams], trading Jamal. I know Darron Lee was traded before I even took this job. Now, Sam."

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0831%2Fr738895_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=320&h=180&scale=crop&location=originThink about it: Douglas already has traded three former first-round picks, all of whom were drafted by his predecessor. Not just any former first-round picks, but the No. 6 (Williams, 2015), No. 6 (Adams, 2017) and No. 3 (Darnold, 2018) overall picks in their respective drafts. They were 25, 24 and 23 years old, respectively, at the time of the trades.

Mind-boggling.

To different degrees, economics played a role in all three decisions. Douglas opted for draft capital instead of investing big money on extensions. He parlayed those three players into eight picks. Using the trade value chart as a guide, and projecting 2022 draft position based on 2020 records, the point total is 2,551. A typical draft for a middle-of-the-pack team is 1,700 points.

So Douglas traded Williams, Adams and Darnold for what amounts to a full draft, and then some.

3. From Darnold's inner circle: Darnold has yet to comment on his trade to the Carolina Panthers. His camp, no doubt frustrated by months of pre-trade uncertainty, has been quiet the entire offseason ... until now.

Jaime Ortiz, who has remained close with Darnold after coaching him at San Clemente (California) High, said in a text message to ESPN:

"[The trade] is a good move for both the Jets' franchise and for Sam personally. Both get a clean break and a fresh start. I just hope, with all of the draft picks, the Jets can finally surround a young QB such as [Zach] Wilson or [Justin] Fields with the talent needed to be successful in the NFL."

It's not hard to read between the lines.

4. Draft trivia: Can you name the last quarterback drafted by the Jets to make the Pro Bowl in a Jets uniform? Answer below.

5. Bonus money: Linebacker Tarell Basham, who signed recently with the Dallas Cowboys, scored the Jets' biggest performance-based bonus for 2020 -- $446,879. The other top bonuses went to linebackers Harvey Langi ($375,561) and Neville Hewitt ($337,838), tight end Chris Herndon ($337,623) and cornerback Bless Austin ($337,018). The biggest head-scratcher? Linebacker Patrick Onwuasor got $2,052, and all he did was play eight snaps on special teams.

Performance-based pay is a collectively bargained benefit that compensates all players, including rookies, based upon their playing time and salary levels. It has no effect on the salary cap. The league released the figures this week.

6. Dueling oh-fers: In the market for a veteran quarterback, the Jets hosted Brian Hoyer on a free-agent visit. If they sign him, it would be a marriage of two dubious streaks.

Hoyer, predominantly a backup throughout his 12-year career, has lost 17 straight starts, dating to 2016. The Jets have dropped 15 straight with their backup quarterback in a starting role, also dating to 2016.

From an intangibles standpoint, Hoyer would be a terrific mentor for Wilson, the presumptive pick by the Jets at No. 2 overall in the 2021 NFL draft (April 29-May 1 in Cleveland, on ESPN and the ESPN App), but the QB2 job for this team should be capable of winning games. Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater and Gardner Minshew II would be better options than Hoyer.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F1213%2Fr789624_608x342_16%2D9.jpg&w=320&h=180&scale=crop&location=origin7. No Joshing: A week ago in this space, former Jets quarterback Josh McCown said his hope was Darnold would get a chance to redeem himself under the new coaching staff. We know that's not going to happen. At the same time, McCown proclaimed himself a Wilson fan.

"I don't think it's a bad pick," McCown said. "I think he has a higher ceiling and a better upside than Trevor Lawrence, personally. I like him a little better."

8. What happened against Vegas ... : When the Jets lost to the Las Vegas Raiders on Gregg Williams' infamous "Cover 0 blitz," dropping them to 0-12, a lot of pro-tank fans were ready to immortalize Williams for keeping them ahead in the Lawrence sweepstakes. As it turned out, the outcome had no bearing on draft position. But it sure made for interesting conversation in the moment.

9. Trivia answer: Ken O'Brien. A first-round pick in 1983, famously ahead of Dan Marino, O'Brien was selected to the Pro Bowl once (1985). He's one of the underrated players in Jets history. He's second on the franchise's all-time passing list, behind Joe Namath. Boomer Esiason (1993), Vinny Testaverde (1998) and Brett Favre (2008) each made the Pro Bowl, but they weren't drafted by the Jets.

10. The last word: "His development was not correct by the Jets. He didn't have the best supporting cast around him and the best coaching to get him to his full potential." -- former Jets and current Panthers wide receiver Robby Anderson on Darnold (via NFL Network).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Win > 7 games.

Finish at least near 15th in Offense.

i.e. Average.  

It's not in fact too much to ask for.

Just looked up Arizona, who I think did very well coming off of Josh Rosen and replacing the head coach and QB the following year. They were 32nd in the league in offense with Rosen at 3-13, and jumped to #21 with Kingsbury/Murray for a 5-10-1 record. The next year, they were all the way up to 6th in offense with an 8-8 record. That seems to me to be a reasonable ask. Maybe some more wins in that second year, like to think Saleh does more with the defense than they've been doing in Arizona. 

If the Jets jump from 32 to 20 on offense, that's a really positive jump. If they can improve the defense at the same time (despite your calls to basically ignore it), they might be able to get to that seven win total. But, like you, I want to see marked improvement on the offensive side of the ball. Moving up 12 spots would be that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...