Draft Offensive Lineman

TMAC

I don't get all the crying about drafting offensive lineman, like you know Joe Douglas is a former offensive lineman right? You guys are holding onto your old grudges of Maccagnan and Idzik too much, Douglas is not them, get over it. 

JD drafted two in his first draft and now he enters perhaps the deepest offensive line class this past decade and you think he's not going to take advantage of that? In addition he's drafting a new QB with the 2nd overall pick and he's not going to invest in protecting him? 

It is known that JD wants to build through the draft and invest in the trenches - have you guys not been listening?

My concern for Douglas isn't picking OL its picking CB's and WR's, which Philly was terrible at and thus far I think he seems least skilled at. Mims fell into his lap which was pure luck but he whiffed on Robby Anderson deal and Perriman was/is atrocious. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I think the Bengals should have drafted a line before drafting the franchise qb 

They did it backwards 

No they should have drafted Burrow, you dont know that you'll be able to just find a QB just because you want one.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Certainly an amateur when it comes to this, but from what I understand these dudes would fit the scheme:

Day one targets

• AVT, Teven Jenk, Darrisaw - maybe Creed Humphrey?

Day two targets

• Creed Humphrey, Radunz, Cosmi, Spencer Brown, Eichenberg

Day three targets

• Kendrick Green, Robert Hainsey, Drew Dalman, Jimmy Morrissey, Stone Forsythe

The way I see it, you need to bring in at least two of these guys. Both might not start immediately.

My preference is to draft a future RT early @ 23/34 and play them at guard as a rookie while adding developmental players at the interior positions later in the draft. 

Teven Jenkins, love him to be the pick at 23. If all the top linemen are gone I expect a Douglas trade down.

@bitonti provide one good reason why Cameron Clark cannot end up a starting offensive lineman for the Jets in 2021, please. 

Rd 4 is exactly where you draft pipeline OL.  Clark could very easily end up a starter in 2021, and regardless, Douglas absolutely will be taking an immediate starter at 23 (or perhaps lower after a trade down) or 34.  

You're a whiner.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@bitonti provide one good reason why Cameron Clark cannot end up a starting offensive lineman for the Jets in 2021, please. 

Rd 4 is exactly where you draft pipeline OL.  

You're a whiner.  

Puts on bitonti halloween mask.

- He has a sh*tty ras score thus not a great athlete

- Could not even get on the roster on an oline that stinks with stinky starters and stinky backups.

• Haha 2

What has JD done that would make you think he would draft other positions and forget about the OL? He came out in the off season and said the first need of this team was OL. He WILL draft likely a Guard and Center or Tackle. Either way, the goal for JD is to put a better than formidable OL in front of Zach.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

What has JD done that would make you think he would draft other positions and forget about the OL? He came out in the off season and said the first need of this team was OL. He WILL draft likely a Guard and Center or Tackle. Either way, the goal for JD is to put a better than formidable OL in front of Zach.

Well, he fielded the worst OL in the league last year.  Signed other team back-ups to start for us.

There's plenty of reason to be concerned about his thinking. 

Drafting a LT last year was more or less a must, it was pretty much the only thing he could do.  Otherwise his actions have shown that he hasn't taken the position very seriously at all.

• Post of the Week 1

Man bitonti is taking a serious hit on this thread.... I thought he only annoyed me?!?

I feel bad to pile on but:

Hey bit in other threads you use the basketball analogy a lot. You said that the nfl isnt the nba. You can get a star and plug em into an nba team and they can start winning right away because they are only 5 guys.

So i started thinking..... if the 1/5 guy can turn an nba team around why cant 1/5 of an OL be a game breaker?

We got becton last year. Thats 1/5 right there. We will grab another OL guy early so thats 2/5.

So when exactly does a unit of 5 turn it around? You seem to think the jets have zero chance of being competitive if the OL “only” have 1/5 stars. Please elaborate 

At 23 I’d take any of the following: Slater, Sewell, AVT, Darrisaw, Jenkins. If all those guys are gone I’d either trade back a few spots or wait until 34 to go with a Humphrey, Cosmi, etc.

Lots of OL talent in this Draft. No need to reach. Mayfield, Radunz, Spencer Brown, Walker Little, Eichenberg, etc. JD can trade back from 34 or up from 66 for a RT. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2021 at 10:49 AM, bitonti said:

The Jets are making the Joe burrow mistake all over again 

They are going to draft a regular looking one year wonder dude start him week 1 and hang him out to dry with no weapons or line... then we will be shocked (shocked) when his body is explodes by week 10

It’s like the Bat signal. 

Rather, the Bit signal. 

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 11:09 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

We need 2 olineman in this draft.  One early and one late.

We are not nearly as desperate at the position as most Darnold fans, i mean jet fans think.

I tend to agee with this

when we had a competent Qb in there (Flacco), the line was pretty decent 

• Upvote 3

On 4/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, TMAC said:

I don't profess to possess the acumen to qualify me to make the selections for the Jets (although I know I would have done much better than Idzik or Maccagnan), but basic knowledge tells me that the Jets must draft offensive lineman this year, particularly since they are selecting a QB with the second pick.  We saw what happened to Joe Burrow.  We saw what happened to Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl.  Even Aaron Rogers struggled when his OL was mediocre.  We have five picks in the first 100 and another pick at 107.  We have to pick at least one OL and preferably 2 OL with the first 5 picks.  It is not a coincidence that the last time the Jets were good, they had a quality OL.  This happened with the drafting of Mangold and Brick.  It's not rocket science.  I can't look at these mock drafts which show us picking linebackers, wide receivers, safeties and running backs but not addressing the elephant in the room: the offensive line.  Come on, Joe.  Don't be an idiot like Maccagnan.

Well said

I would love to see a repeat of 06.  RT Jenkins at 23 and the C from Oklahoma at 34.  I am convinced a big part of what I would say were good years from 06 to 12 were because of brick and mangold.  I think it allowed a limited Sanchez to still play well. Let’s do that again.  Build out the premium skill positions later (rb or te in rd 3), (#1 we next year in round 1).  

You basically have tons of flexible options to fill in the two guards and you have the 3 core positions set with high talent.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Puts on bitonti halloween mask.

- He has a sh*tty ras score thus not a great athlete

- Could not even get on the roster on an oline that stinks with stinky starters and stinky backups

JD is absolutely setting up a scenario where cam Clark can start and Fant can make a pro bowl 

He's not going to undercut his own moves 

The question is what kind of starter will Clark be? 

GVR is a starter that wouldn't start on any other NFL team. Being a starter isn't enough 

This roster needs impact players 

On 4/10/2021 at 10:52 AM, RedBeardedSavage said:

Certainly an amateur when it comes to this, but from what I understand these dudes would fit the scheme:

Day one targets

• AVT, Teven Jenk, Darrisaw - maybe Creed Humphrey?

Day two targets

• Creed Humphrey, Radunz, Cosmi, Spencer Brown, Eichenberg

Day three targets

• Kendrick Green, Robert Hainsey, Drew Dalman, Jimmy Morrissey, Stone Forsythe

The way I see it, you need to bring in at least two of these guys. Both might not start immediately.

My preference is to draft a future RT early @ 23/34 and play them at guard as a rookie while adding developmental players at the interior positions later in the draft. 

Looks pretty good to me. I think Darrisaw will go earlier, but I do see Jenkins and AVT potentially being in our wheel house. 

The players I definitely see going in round 1: T Penei Sewell, T/G Rashawn Slater, T Christian Darrisaw, T/G Teven Jenkins, G/T Alijah Vera-Tucker. After them it gets a little murky. 

One of those Day 2 targets will go round 1. I'm not sure which one, but I wouldn't rule out Eichenberg to the Colts. They've done a lot of work on him and it's possible they trade down and take him. Wouldn't shock me to see them go DE in round 1, move up for Eichenberg in round 2 if he was within reach either. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Man bitonti is taking a serious hit on this thread.... I thought he only annoyed me?!?

I feel bad to pile on but:

Hey bit in other threads you use the basketball analogy a lot. You said that the nfl isnt the nba. You can get a star and plug em into an nba team and they can start winning right away because they are only 5 guys.

So i started thinking..... if the 1/5 guy can turn an nba team around why cant 1/5 of an OL be a game breaker?

We got becton last year. Thats 1/5 right there. We will grab another OL guy early so thats 2/5.

So when exactly does a unit of 5 turn it around? You seem to think the jets have zero chance of being competitive if the OL “only” have 1/5 stars. Please elaborate 

I don't believe they will draft an offensive lineman early, that's the thing 

JD has a higher opinion on the line than we do it's that simple. He see it as 3/5 awesome 

They are going to draft a QB at 2 and maybe an edge or olb at 23, which is a more natural value 

Here's the deal cosmi is a finesse player not a fit, darrisaw is gutless like Russell okung part 2. Creed is a center and JD loves McGovern.

Maybe avt or Jenkins? Congrats they used a first Rd pick on a guard? Those guys might be there at 34, they are not rare. I really like the 3rd Rd sleepers like Spencer brown or Dillon radunz. But those guys need a year of seasoning.

There's not as much instant help value in this draft as people expect. The top 2 prospects move the needle these other guys are lottery tickets 

To put it in qb terms I can sit here and recommend they take Sewell and Kyle Trask in Rd 2. That's not really addressing the qb position its being hopeful 

@bitonti just want to get your opinion on something that was mentioned before and is intriguing to me and that's moving Edoga to guard? He was touted as a possible guard coming out of USC and even Maccgnan said in his post draft press that he could play there but between one thing and another ended up at left tackel and then swing tackel. I could see us taking a tackel somewhere in the draft and I'd love to see Edoga be given a shot at guard before he is kicked to the curb but what are your feelings.

12 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

@bitonti just want to get your opinion on something that was mentioned before and is intriguing to me and that's moving Edoga to guard? He was touted as a possible guard coming out of USC and even Maccgnan said in his post draft press that he could play there but between one thing and another ended up at left tackel and then swing tackel. I could see us taking a tackel somewhere in the draft and I'd love to see Edoga be given a shot at guard before he is kicked to the curb but what are your feelings.

Edoga has really long arms that is his best feature. He's a poor man Isaiah Wynn maybe and because of height some teams have him at guard. It's possible... it's also a project. At a certain point these players stop being prospects 

7 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

The Jets need to draft Penei Sewell because he is a bowling ball full of butcher knives and combine freak

For the record, slater is almost as rare a prospect and I understand why some people have him higher. He's more of a day 1 pro 

This is Orlando pace and Walter Jones all over again and just like 97 the Jets are going in a different direction 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Edoga has really long arms that is his best feature. He's a poor man Isaiah Wynn maybe and because of height some teams have him at guard. It's possible... it's also a project. At a certain point these players stop being prospects 

Very true they do stop been prospects and I feel edoga is finished as a prospect at tackel for us. It's sink or swim for him on the jets roster this off season. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2021 at 10:49 AM, bitonti said:

The Jets are making the Joe burrow mistake all over again 

They are going to draft a regular looking one year wonder dude start him week 1 and hang him out to dry with no weapons or line... then we will be shocked (shocked) when his body is explodes by week 10

I try to avoid the thumb down, but this one deserves both thumbs and big toes down if they were available.i can't understand your though process, when this team is finally on the right track. 

How about this? Try to be positive in your life!

i suspect they'll draft at least one oline player in the next 3 picks after no. 2.  it makes sense.  they don't necessarily have to use the 23 pick and there are probably enough good prospects that they could even trade back a few spots from 23 and still get some good players.  the guy they pick will be expected to start and probably push lewis.  or they may go center and put mcgovern at guard.

40 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I try to avoid the thumb down, but this one deserves both thumbs and big toes down if they were available.i can't understand your though process, when this team is finally on the right track. 

How about this? Try to be positive in your life!

They won 2 games last year 

The onus is on the Jets to try and win not on me to pretend 

You root for the team your way I'll tell it like it is 

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rd 4 is exactly where you draft pipeline OL.  Clark could very easily end up a starter in 2021, and regardless, Douglas absolutely will be taking an immediate starter at 23 (or perhaps lower after a trade down) or 34.  

You're a whiner.  

Because he says he sucks

Hasnt seen him play, just knows it.

And because hes a good fan