Has any other NFL team changed both its Head Coach and QB three times in five years?

The Jets will have both their 3rd different head coach and 3rd different starting quarterback (two of them Top 3 picks) in a five-year span when we begin the 2021 season. That seems unbelievable when you think about it. A lot of teams change their quarterback, several teams will change their head coach. A single team changing each of them three times within five years just seems very unusual to me.

Is there any history of this working out successfully?

• Sad 1
14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Gee, has it been 5 years already? Seems like just yesterday . 

When your breakfast and lunch take a year and a half a piece and it takes 2 years to finish dinner well it would seem like just a day..

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

When your breakfast and lunch take a year and a half a piece and it takes 2 years to finish dinner well it would seem like just a day..

I wish!!

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets will have both their 3rd different head coach and 3rd different starting quarterback (two of them Top 3 picks) in a five-year span when we begin the 2021 season. That seems unbelievable when you think about it. A lot of teams change their quarterback, several teams will change their head coach. A single team changing each of them three times within five years just seems very unusual to me.

Successfully?  I dont think so but there has to be examples of this...Arizona, Cleveland come to mind.

The scenario the Jets are in that I was thinking about is are there examples of a rookie CS and rookie QB succeeding together?  Rex/Sanchez had success but obviously not the type you're looking for long term.  KK and Murray I guess are trending but do you really ever see them making the playoffs in that division? Doubt it.

Johnson/Aikman was the only one I could think of...

Arizona

Cleveland

Raiders

Jax had a pretty crazy stretch a couple of years ago. 

Texans will probably accomplish the feat soon.

Denver's quietly been an organizational sh*tshow for a while...

De-TROIT must have, maybe more than once..

So, who cares. Hope the Jets finally have the right group in place now.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Arizona

Cleveland

Raiders

Jax had a pretty crazy stretch a couple of years ago. 

Texans will probably accomplish the feat soon.

Denver's quietly been an organizational sh*tshow for a while...

De-TROIT must have, maybe more than once..

So, who cares. Hope the Jets finally have the right group in place now.

When did the Raiders have 3 different HCs and 3 QBs in 5 years? Carr has been there for a little while now. 

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

When did the Raiders have 3 different HCs and 3 QBs in 5 years? Carr has been there for a little while now. 

Couple of times.

2011 - 15.  Hue Jackson, Dennis Allen, Jack Del Rio.  Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor/Matt Mcgloin, Derek Carr

2005 - 09.  4 HCs and 4 QBs in 3 years.  Norv Turner, Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, Tom Cable and Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, Daunte Culpepper, Jamarcus Russell.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

There are a lot of hires and non firings that you know are simply a waste of time.

Rex's last two years, a waste of time

Bowles after about year two, waste of time.

Gase, the day before he was hired, waste of time.

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 2

i think you add the doltfins to the mix.  they had philbin with tannehill, the gase with moore when tannehill was injured and now flores with fitzy and tua.  all within 6 seasons.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

THe Johnson are terrible owners.  It’s that simple.   This thread title is puts in in a perfect bow.  woody leaves a billion dollar business to his unaccomplished brother.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets constant, repetitive changes in search of that elusive "stability."

The issue is that we have consistently made bad hires.  Gotta hire good people before you worry about stability.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, QB1 said:

Pretty sure we’ve done this before 

herm - penny

mangini - Farve

rex - Sanchez 

97 Tuna 2000 Groh 2001 Herm and in that time you had QB's O'Donnell, Foley,Vinny,Lucas,Rick Mirir I left out the 5 minutes BB was HC

It doesn't seem like it would be that rare amongst teams that go through 5 year losing streaks, which is most at one point or another..

QBs and HCs are pretty much married, a QB will get a HC fired and a new HC will want his own QB etc. Lather, rinse, repeat.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

THe Johnson are terrible owners.  It’s that simple.   This thread title is puts in in a perfect bow.  woody leaves a billion dollar business to his unaccomplished brother.  

If CJ's hiring of Douglas and Saleh proves to right the ship, we'll have to give him credit for it.  And I'm honestly fine with that.  Because I could have all my internal organs threatened to be ripped out.  And I'll never begrudge  Woody credit for anything.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

In hindsight, pretty obvious why Parcells and Belichick ran for the hills.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I’ve said that a thousand times and get crushed here.   A real football man doesn’t want to answer to Woody, much less Chris.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
47 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

BB was the HC before Hess brought in Parcells who was still under contract to the Pats. Who knows what would have happened if he would have stuck with BB??

28 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

BB was the HC before Hess brought in Parcells who was still under contract to the Pats. Who knows what would have happened if he would have stuck with BB??

Maybe we draft Brady instead of Pennington.  

The Browns and Raiders?  Browns definitely didn't do it Cant think of a Raider team that did it

Herm, Mangini & Rex along with Arizona

NY Titans-Jets had 3 coaches and at least four QBs in five years.  Coaches:  Hall of Famer Slingin' Sammy Baugh, somebody named Bulldog Turner, and the legendary Weeb Ewbank. 

Starting QBs:  Al Dorow, Lee Grosscup, Dick Wood, then Mike Taliaferro/Joe Namath in 1965.  I seem to remember others starting as well, but forgot the names.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lith said:

The issue is that we have consistently made bad hires.  Gotta hire good people before you worry about stability.  

Agreed, but the day they're hired it's because the powers that be (ownership, front office, etc.) think they're good hires.

What are the odds that at least one or two of the Jets newest foundational pieces (Douglas, Saleh, TBD drafted rookie QB) are going to be better than the previous two or three guys that held their respective positions?  Will Douglas be better than Maccagnan, Idzik, Tanny?  Will Saleh be better than Gase, Bowles and Rex?  Will Wilson/Fields/whoever be better than Darnold, Geno, Sanchez?

I mean the fact that none of those 9 guys became long term solutions and we could just work on the other two parts as they revolved around him is just crazy.  You look at some organizations where the HC outlasts everyone including QBs and GMs, (ex. Ravens), some orgs where the QB outlasts the GMs and HCs (Green Bay, Detroit up until now, etc.), and orgs where the GM outlasts everyone (Saints, Patriots, Cardinals, etc.).

We haven't solved any one of those three most important foundational riddles with a piece that can be kept in place over the longterm.  "Stability" on the team starts with getting at least one of those 3 key pieces correct, otherwise we're continuing to try to solve one equation with 3 unknowns (for those who miss Algebra 😛 ).  That challenge has caused a lot of the debate around here the past decade.... Is the problem Darnold?  Is the problem just Gase and we have a good QB?  Is the problem Douglas because he hasn't solved the offensive line and playmakers problem for two years that would have allowed him to determine if the problem is Gase, Darnold or both?  Instead, the Jets just kinda throw everything away after a couple years and hit reset.

I remember 2015-2016 when the Jets had the GM of the year (Maccagnan) and a 10-win coach in Todd Bowles.  The problem was the QB.  Fast forward and we get the QB in 2018, but now the Jets are convinced the HC is bad so we swap him for Gase.  Then the Jets become convinced they have the right HC and QB, but the GM sucks.... enter Douglas.  Two years later the Jets are now convinced that the GM is the good part, the HC sucks and they don't want the QB anymore. lol  Only the Jets.  It's a game of Whack-A-Mole.  Sadly, the best odds are likely that all of Douglas, Saleh and TBD rookie QB are gone by 2026.

guac lol GIF by Justin Gammon

• Like 1
6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

THe Johnson are terrible owners.  It’s that simple.   This thread title is puts in in a perfect bow.  woody leaves a billion dollar business to his unaccomplished brother.  The Godfather Sigh GIF

• Haha 1