What are the premium positions to prioritize?

Your biggest investment (QB).

Protecting you biggest investment (OLine).

Enabling  your biggest investment to reach his highest potential (WR, TE, RB).

Defense has no true Premium Positions IMO.  They're all secondary to the above in the modern NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

14 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Ideally:

#2 - QB

#23 - CB

#34 - G

#66 - Edge (would like to double dip with this position)

Double dip at Edge would require JD to admit he blew the Zuniga pick in the 3rd last year. Don’t see that happening so early in his career. I would be impressed if unlike MacCagnan he didn’t waste 4 years hoping in a lost cause.  Hoping Ulbrecht can get production from him. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetsxfactor.com/2020/12/18/whats-going-on-with-new-york-jets-rookie-de-jabari-zuniga/amp/

Only thing that jumps out to me as a negative is arm length. OL getting their hands on you and latching on hurts his speed advantage  

Percentile by Size & Position

Event Event Score % By DE % By Size
Height 75.3" 35.8 --
Weight 264 lbs 40 --
Hand Size 10.38" 84.9 86.6
Arm Length 32.88" 30.4 45
40 Yd 4.64 sec 94.5 93.1
20 Yd 2.71 sec 90.6 85.3
10 Yd 1.61 sec 91.3 89
Bench  29 reps 90 82.7
Vertical 33.0" 58 62.3
Broad Jump 127" 97 98

Combine Grade (Beta)

A

Overall Rating: 

Max 100

Size Rating: 38/100
Speed Score: 94/100
Agility Score: (N/A)/100
Quickness Score: (N/A)/100
Strength Score: 89/100
Edited by 32EBoozer

The #1 priority is getting the QB, which is Zack Wilson!!!

The second priority is getting or solidifying the offensive line, getting Becton last year does not solidify the line at all. They still need another OT, a Guard and Center to protect the QB and open holes for the RB. What they need is a long term answer not short term and one person doesn't make the whole line.

The third priority is getting an edge rusher at OLB, which has been missing for many years, the last was John Abraham. Sure the Jets have a very good Dline but a very good Oline will stop it and once that happens the opposing QB will pick this team apart. The need for an edge rusher is important because it takes the pressure off the Dline and the secondary in passing situation. Too many QBs the Jets have faced have killed them because they had NO pressure!!!! Its time the Jets address this need!!!

There are other needs can be addressed in the later rounds like CB, WR and TE. 

• Upvote 1

CB is literally the least important part of this defensive scheme. Pass Rusher is #1, #2, #3 & #4 in what is most important for this defensive scheme. 

On offense: agile offensive lineman and getting a reliable pass catching TE.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, AL047 said:

The third priority is getting an edge rusher at OLB, which has been missing for many years, the last was John Abraham. Sure the Jets have a very good Dline but a very good Oline will stop it and once that happens the opposing QB will pick this team apart. The need for an edge rusher is important because it takes the pressure off the Dline and the secondary in passing situation. Too many QBs the Jets have faced have killed them because they had NO pressure!!!! Its time the Jets address this need!!!

Abraham was not an OLB. He played the Edge on DL. Getting Lawson on the right side was huge…. Finding someone on the opposite side to compliment him would add the final piece. Having LB’s with coverage skills is important for covering the quick hit routes by RB & TE to avoid pass rush by DL. 

Edited by 32EBoozer

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Premium positions IMO are defined by three things:  Supply/demand, Avg contract cost, potential impact on the game.  From that perspective you invariably come to positions like QB, DE, OT, CB.... and more recently WR (as the NFL has morphed into a passing league).  You simply ask yourself, how many good players are available at that position?  How expensive are the good ones at that position?  If you have a good one how much can he impact a game?

QB, protecting that QB (OT) and getting to that QB (DE).  Weapon for the QB (WR) and stopping that weapon (CB).

This is why I expect the Jets to draft a QB, OL and CB within the first 3 rounds and possibly the first 3 picks.

Now go look at where Maccagnan used his early draft capital and we'll understand why we are where we are.  Drafting Safeties back-to-back in Rounds 1 and 2..... while shelling out almost $80M to try to fix a premium spot like CB with Trumaine Johnson. 

I pretty much agree with this assessment.  Obviously QB and after that what don't we need?

In premium picking order after the QB the next pick should be a Center/ O-line. That is unless a freak like Pitts drops to or within 23?

Unfortunately the reality for the guys cracking jokes is we don't even have a kicker, we have no fullback, no nickelback, and one safety. We need everything!

I expect Rob Saleh to take a few guys already on the roster and change their positions especially on Defense, as most of these players do not fit our scheme.

IMO every position is important in all three phases, and the floor should be above average.

Yes it absolutely starts in the trenches but Kickers win Games too. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting about the Zuniga pick is that he really was not a great fit for the 3-4-he is more a 4-3 end.  

But at 23 Kwity Paye would be great value-so great that I don't think he is there. 

Based on prior drafts, from 17-32 you so WR, CB, OT, C, LB, EDGE being picked.  Few G.  Good EDGE usually goes earlier in the round.  

From the looks of some mocks, I would think the following players, in close to this order, would be the right pick for the Jets at 23:

Paye

Jenkins

Humphrey

Newsome

12 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I want a solid OL.  I don't give 2 craps about the rest for now:

*We picked up a few ok-ish FA's on both sides of the ball and our 2020 jags will up their game behind our new CS and conditioning team.

*We have the draft and the cut down to 53 mini-draft to follow.  We should pick up a few more ok-ish to good players. 

An improved OL will make this franchise competitive.  Note that I said franchise and not team because we might finally have a FO, a CS,  and a roster all pulling together.            

After QB at #2 maybe at #23 it if not a G, they can take a C if a very good one is there at that spot and move McGovern to G. That would improve the middle of the OL for the new QB. Then the #34 pick can be either a playmaking RB or WR. We should really worry more about the O for the 1st 3 picks even though we really need a good prospect at CB and may not get that in the 3rd round.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

There are going to be impact WR available at 34-no doubt. 

There should be a T at 23 that can play G  I don't think there will be T or Humphrey at 34.  

I am pretty confident that there will be a C/G better than what is currently on the roster at 66.  

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

There are going to be impact WR available at 34-no doubt. 

There should be a T at 23 that can play G  I don't think there will be T or Humphrey at 34.  

I am pretty confident that there will be a C/G better than what is currently on the roster at 66.  

T at 23, WR at 34 and C/G at 66 would be an amazing draft.   

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Defense has no true Premium Positions IMO.  They're all secondary to the above in the modern NFL.

From the perspective of being a Jet Fan this is a beyond reasonable point of view. But, Edge and CB would be top priority after that. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jay Z Clapping GIF

Which isn't to say d isn't important it just isn't as important. I never heard of a MLB who was ruined because he didn't have good DTs soaking up blocks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I pretty much agree with this assessment.  Obviously QB and after that what don't we need?

In premium picking order after the QB the next pick should be a Center/ O-line. That is unless a freak like Pitts drops to or within 23?

Unfortunately the reality for the guys cracking jokes is we don't even have a kicker, we have no fullback, no nickelback, and one safety. We need everything!

I expect Rob Saleh to take a few guys already on the roster and change their positions especially on Defense, as most of these players do not fit our scheme.

IMO every position is important in all three phases, and the floor should be above average.

Yes it absolutely starts in the trenches but Kickers win Games too. 

I've thrown a few haymakers at what I think the Jets could do in this Draft including the idea of a LB before the end of Day 2, a Kicker in Round 6/7 and a FB in Round 6/7.  I really have no idea if any or all of those things happen but it goes to your point that there are legitimate holes on the team right now, a couple of which could be filled by using non-premium Draft picks (later than Round 2 or 3).

Let's not also forget how much JD loves to work the roster after the Draft.  Not just UDFAs, but scouring the waiver wire for cuts after June 1st and later in training camps.

• Upvote 1

It's important to note that just because Zach Wilson will be here soon enough, it doesn't mean the problems on offense will go away. Wilson will be just as useless as Darnold if JD doesn't put a good supporting cast around him. Here's my order of priority:

OL - The OL besides Becton is still garbage. That's priority ONE. The silver lining is I think the OL can be a finished product, completely overhauled, after the draft. I'm thinking the Jets could easily get a Center and a Guard. Couple that with and a FA Guard and we're in business.

RB - Zach Wilson must have a good running game to lean on. Because the running backs suck, adding a number 1 back becomes a very high priority.

CB - Another way to help Zach succeed is getting him a good defense. The Jets defensive basically is totally unproven besides Maye.

FB - Maybe later on in the draft they SHOULD add a fullback. Just a scheme fit that will ultimately help Zach Wilson that much more.

K - The Jets kicker has been 100% raw sewage for years now. This will definitely help the Jets and Zach Wilson.

IF JD can fix these areas and the Punter takes a step forward, you're looking at a PLAYOFF team in 2021

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'll disagree with your last point and not just to be argumentative (although that's fun too!) ?  If the second thing on the list is OL because it's important to protect that QB then that is only because there are game wreckers like Aaron Donald, Chase Young, Nick Bosa, TJ Watt, etc. roaming around.  Guys who can not only flip a scoreboard with a strip sack but can crush or injure your biggest investment (QB).  I'd actually order the importance as QB, OL, DE/passrushers, WR, CB.  If pass rushers didn't have such a high potential to impact a game then the second thing on your list wouldn't be so important.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If pass rushers didn't have such a high potential to impact a game then the second thing on your list wouldn't be so important.

Because our O-line has been so bad, JAG's get past it and wreck our offense.

A good O-line basically nullifies an elite Edge to a "maybe one good play a game" type guy.  

I'll pick scoring, protecting my QB, scoring, nullifying their $20 million guy with our $2 million guy, scoring, and if I didn;t mention it, SCORING, over a guy who "elitely" gets 6 sacks a year.

Plus, didn't we just sign a supposedly "elite" Edge in Free agency?  That's what people said when we signed him and I scoffed, he was elite (because pressures), even if his scak numbers weren't elite.

Now some want more, before we fix the Offense and the line protecting our shiny new investment?  Nope.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Double dip at Edge would require JD to admit he blew the Zuniga pick in the 3rd last year. Don’t see that happening so early in his career. I would be impressed if unlike MacCagnan he didn’t waste 4 years hoping in a lost cause.  Hoping Ulbrecht can get production from him. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetsxfactor.com/2020/12/18/whats-going-on-with-new-york-jets-rookie-de-jabari-zuniga/amp/

Only thing that jumps out to me as a negative is arm length. OL getting their hands on you and latching on hurts his speed advantage  

Percentile by Size & Position

Event Event Score % By DE % By Size
Height 75.3" 35.8 --
Weight 264 lbs 40 --
Hand Size 10.38" 84.9 86.6
Arm Length 32.88" 30.4 45
40 Yd 4.64 sec 94.5 93.1
20 Yd 2.71 sec 90.6 85.3
10 Yd 1.61 sec 91.3 89
Bench  29 reps 90 82.7
Vertical 33.0" 58 62.3
Broad Jump 127" 97 98

Combine Grade (Beta)

A

Overall Rating: 

Max 100

Size Rating: 38/100
Speed Score: 94/100
Agility Score: (N/A)/100
Quickness Score: (N/A)/100
Strength Score: 89/100

FYI - Ourlads is actually AT the combine and pro days.  They measured Zuniga's arms at 32 7/8".  Which is decent but not ideal.  Zuniga is an inside out pass rusher.  I would like to see him remain healthy this year.  His high ankle sprain last season robbed him of his explosiveness.  Durability is his bugaboo.  Healthy, he is a tough assignment inside. 

Last year's review from Ourlads:

JABARI ZUNIGA: Florida, 6033 264 4.64. Two-year starter, Marietta, GA. Started games all four years. Has been used as a versatile inside-out player who can take advantage of interior blockers and tackles. He has a style that may be too quick for guards and centers and too powerful for the tackles. The tools are there to be developed and the flashes on tape go to show there is a high ceiling of edge prospects in the class. He had a hard time staying healthy but if a team can pinpoint the right role for him and he can stay on the field, watch out. Built for the trenches, both inside and outside. Thick and powerful upper body with long arms and big hands. Thick from the waist to knees with basketball player calves and ankles. Versatile inside-out defender who has been equally productive from both spots. Has a stifling initial punch to the  blocker’s chest with a low base, often standing the blocker up. Outstanding straight line burst in both tight areas and in space. Gets across gaps with urgency. Plays with different gears, shows the ability to close hard and fast. A violent finisher. Has flashed dominant traits all four years of his career. Has failed to consistently put things together, never quite lived up to the hype and potential. Will lose track of gap assignments at times. Plays an aggressive style that can sometimes come across as reckless and roaming. May be a player without a true position. Has durability issues. 2019 stats (6 games): 14 T, 7 TFL, 3 sacks, 1 QBH. Edge speed:left 1.97, right 2.12. OSR:2/25. Third/fourth round. (A-32 7/8, H-10 3/8, BP-29, 10-1.64).

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don’t necessarily agree with the last part. I think elite pass rushers are definitely a premium. You’ve seen plenty of recent Superbowl winners with elite guys there for a reason.

That said I would agree with this philosophy for this draft, because the QB is a rookie and because the situation has been so historically awful on offence for the last few years. It needs an overhaul and the kid we draft needs to be given a chance to see what he can do without any excuses. 

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because our O-line has been so bad, JAG's get past it and wreck our offense.

A good O-line basically nullifies an elite Edge to a "maybe one good play a game" type guy.  

I'll pick scoring, protecting my QB, scoring, nullifying their $20 million guy with our $2 million guy, scoring, and if I didn;t mention it, SCORING, over a guy who "elitely" gets 6 sacks a year.

Plus, didn't we just sign a supposedly "elite" Edge in Free agency?  That's what people said when we signed him and I scoffed, he was elite (because pressures), even if his scak numbers weren't elite.

Now some want more, before we fix the Offense and the line protecting our shiny new investment?  Nope.

Agree 100% that OLine should be prioritized over DLine right now. I’m just saying that pass rushers are the “weaponz” of the defense and good ones are worthy of premium picks. But for the Jets, not this year given the state of the OLine....and not after giving Lawson $45M. 

• Upvote 1

This team needs a lot still to be considered a playoff caliber team and this upcoming draft will not make them or take them to the playoffs!!!

This team still has way too many needs and also they have a rookie QB that has to still learn the offense and read defenses. The main priority is getting a offensive line because Becton doesn't solidify the offense, he is only one player. Remember you need five guys to run an offensive line not one player!!! They also need to add a RB, TE and WR for weapons that Wilson can use at his disposal.

Defensively, they still need an edge rusher and CB to take pressure off the Dline. After that they need to address the ILB's and Safety position to have everything work well.

Imo there is no elite pass rushers in this draft.  One or to of them have promise but are raw.  the guys that seem to have the great athletic ability do not have production in college to back it up and some guys with production do not have the elite athlete traits.

We signed Lawson, drafted zuniga last year, we signed a pass rushing DT.  Pass rusher for me is low priority in this draft.  With our resources next year we can look at it again then.

I also know our teams system mantra is now 'we do not need CBs and we do not need RBs but we should not avoid good players in those posts, just because.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, AL047 said:

This team needs a lot still to be considered a playoff caliber team and this upcoming draft will not make them or take them to the playoffs!!!

This team still has way too many needs and also they have a rookie QB that has to still learn the offense and read defenses. The main priority is getting a offensive line because Becton doesn't solidify the offense, he is only one player. Remember you need five guys to run an offensive line not one player!!! They also need to add a RB, TE and WR for weapons that Wilson can use at his disposal.

Defensively, they still need an edge rusher and CB to take pressure off the Dline. After that they need to address the ILB's and Safety position to have everything work well.

I think Phillips is pretty close to elite but the concussion problems are terrifying. He would be a lock for the top 10 otherwise. 

He's the one defensive player I wouldn't hate seeing us take at 23 but you just know that if he goes to the Jets he'll get concussed into retirement one year in. He'll go to the Patriots and become a Hall Of Famer. 

Please see last years super bowl and reply again sir. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app