What are the premium positions to prioritize?

I always went by  Tunas famous add age that the 3 premium positions in the nfl were we, protecting the we and getting after the qb.  With the drafting of Wilson, becton and strengthening of the d line including Lawson, I think these big 3 will be taken care of.  What are next premium positions? Is cb a premium position in this scheme? Rb? Lb?  I don’t think wr will be a priority considering we have a good top 3. I really like etienne but is fb really a premium position?  Is guard?

I always went by  Tunas famous add age that the 3 premium positions in the nfl were qb, protecting the qb and getting after the qb.  With the drafting of Wilson, becton and strengthening of the d line including Lawson, I think these big 3 will be taken care of.  What are next premium positions? Is cb a premium position in this scheme? Rb? Lb?  I don’t think wr will be a priority considering we have a good top 3. I really like etienne but is fb really a premium position?  Is guard?

5 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I always went by  Tunas famous add age that the 3 premium positions in the nfl were we, protecting the we and getting after the qb.  With the drafting of Wilson, becton and strengthening of the d line including Lawson, I think these big 3 will be taken care of.  What are next premium positions? Is cb a premium position in this scheme? Rb? Lb?  I don’t think wr will be a priority considering we have a good top 3. I really like etienne but is fb really a premium position?  Is guard?

Definitely the we. 

I want a solid OL.  I don't give 2 craps about the rest for now:

*We picked up a few ok-ish FA's on both sides of the ball and our 2020 jags will up their game behind our new CS and conditioning team.

*We have the draft and the cut down to 53 mini-draft to follow.  We should pick up a few more ok-ish to good players. 

An improved OL will make this franchise competitive.  Note that I said franchise and not team because we might finally have a FO, a CS,  and a roster all pulling together.            

• Upvote 1

Premium positions IMO are defined by three things:  Supply/demand, Avg contract cost, potential impact on the game.  From that perspective you invariably come to positions like QB, DE, OT, CB.... and more recently WR (as the NFL has morphed into a passing league).  You simply ask yourself, how many good players are available at that position?  How expensive are the good ones at that position?  If you have a good one how much can he impact a game?

QB, protecting that QB (OT) and getting to that QB (DE).  Weapon for the QB (WR) and stopping that weapon (CB).

This is why I expect the Jets to draft a QB, OL and CB within the first 3 rounds and possibly the first 3 picks.

Now go look at where Maccagnan used his early draft capital and we'll understand why we are where we are.  Drafting Safeties back-to-back in Rounds 1 and 2..... while shelling out almost $80M to try to fix a premium spot like CB with Trumaine Johnson. 

• Sympathy 2