Help me understand the draft

Wit

I don’t quite understand why there are seven rounds in the draft. The sixth and seventh rounds are basically busts, with plenty of udfa breaking through as well. 

Why wouldn’t a team just trade all their seventh and sixth rounders for one fourth or fifth, or to use to jump up some slots for a better first or second rounder? There is less bust potential.

Then, if you need bodies then shoot your shot with some udfa. 

edit: don’t you DARE Tom Brady me ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Well hypothetically, if all teams know those rounds picks are useless, why would they want to accumulate a lot of them to part with a pick that has value?

In reality, those picks aren't worthless.  Teams aren't anticipating acquiring a starter in those rounds, outside if maybe a kicker.  But rosters aren't just starters.  If you can draft a quality back up or ST player in those rounds, job well done.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Well hypothetically, if all teams know those rounds picks are useless, why would they want to accumulate a lot of them to part with a pick that has value?

In reality, those picks aren't worthless.  Teams aren't anticipating acquiring a starter in those rounds, outside if maybe a kicker.  But rosters aren't just starters.  If you can draft a quality back up or ST player in those rounds, job well done.

I'd also add that a late round pick really wont move the needle in a trade up in early rounds. If you want to move up in the 5th? Sure! 

I agree try to secure developmental players or core STers. Remember, UDFA are just that free agents. No guarantee who you want will actually sign with you. If you draft them you own their rights. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, Wit said:

I don’t quite understand why there are seven rounds in the draft. The sixth and seventh rounds are basically busts, with plenty of udfa breaking through as well. 

Why wouldn’t a team just trade all their seventh and sixth rounders for one fourth or fifth, or to use to jump up some slots for a better first or second rounder? There is less bust potential.

6th and 7th rounders do become good role players, starters, even pro bowlers and in one instance the best QB** ever. Plus as mentioned there are hundreds of UDFAs on rosters in the NFL. It is just less likely than a 1st rounder. Those percentages of success are the basis of the Draft value chart.

**multiple cheater, designer PED user, and paid under the table in collusion with the NFL

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2021 at 5:59 PM, Wit said:

because your 6th and 7ths combined don't add up to the value needed for a 5th.