QB.. our search for a BACK-up QB continues ~ ~ ~

kelly

The Jets answered some questions about their plans at quarterback with the Sam Darnold trade. It is clear that BYU’s Zach Wilson will be the pick at No. 2 in the draft on April 29.

Even with that seemingly decided, though, there is a glaring hole in the Jets’ quarterback room. Who will be Wilson’s backup?

At the moment, the only quarterbacks under contract with the Jets are James Morgan and Mike White. Neither has ever taken a snap in an NFL regular-season game. Morgan has not even played in a preseason game.The Jets clearly can’t go into the 2021 season with three quarterbacks who have no real NFL experience. So, that leaves them sifting through the veteran QB market, which is never robust. It is filled with players whose glory days are either long behind them or never materialized.General manager Joe Douglas had one such player in for a visit this week. Veteran Brian Hoyer, who is 35 years old, came in on Thursday. The Jets did not sign him, but he is the only known option they have explored right now.Joe Flacco was the backup last year to Darnold. He went 0-4 in his starts last season, but played much better in his third and fourth starts than the first two. The Jets had some interest in bringing him back, but Flacco signed with the Eagles.

Douglas was asked about adding a veteran quarterback on Tuesday. He threw some praise at Morgan and White, but it sounded like GM-speak.

“When it comes to the quarterback room, I’d tell you that we’re really excited about James Morgan and Mike White,” Douglas said. “And I know you guys didn’t get a chance to really see them. Obviously, they didn’t get an opportunity with no preseason games this year, but really excited about those two guys.

“And I would just say, as in any room on our team, if there is an opportunity to add to it, make it a little bit better, we’re going to pursue that opportunity. So, there’s constant discussion in our pro scouting department with our coaching staff on not just the quarterback room possibly adding to it but every other position as well.”

The options available on the market right now are not exactly inspiring. Alex Smith is the best of the bunch, but he has major health questions after the gruesome leg injury he suffered in Washington in 2018. He returned to play last year, but questions remain about his long-term durability. He would fit the mentor role for Wilson, having done it in San Francisco with Colin Kaepernick and Kansas City with Patrick Mahomes.After Smith, there is a group of career backups like Hoyer, Matt Barkley, Blaine Gabbert, A.J. McCarron and Blake Bortles. None of them are going to get anyone excited, but all are experienced NFL quarterbacks who could teach Wilson about being a professional.

Douglas also might be looking for a quarterback to shake free from another team via trade or being cut. The Panthers are shopping Teddy Bridgewater after acquiring Darnold. It seems unlikely the Jets would trade for Bridgewater, but they could pounce if he gets cut. Bridgewater may be looking for a team on which he can start and not just be a mentor or keep the seat warm for Wilson, though. Other players to watch are the Jaguars’ Gardner Minshew, Washington’s Kyle Allen and the Broncos’ Jeff Driskel as those teams figure out their quarterback rooms.

The Jets have lost their past 15 games with a backup quarterback starting, dating to 2016, when Bryce Petty won a game over the 49ers. Douglas has his plan at starting quarterback. Now, he needs to get the backup straight.

>    https://nypost.com/2021/04/10/jets-search-for-zach-wilsons-backup-quarterback-is-pivotal/

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hoyer has left the building!

Rock N Roll Art GIF by grantkoltoons

..if i may say/imho,..  good !  ?... i'd rather NOT have him on OUR roster. i think/hope there's gonna be some better options   :beer:   

• Upvote 1

I always thought that within reason, the backup should have a similar skill set to the starter?

I mentioned Fitzmagic months ago. Colt McCoy is gone. Tyrod Taylor is signed and for the life of me I never understood Joe Flacco backing up Sam. I think Gardner Minshew would have been a good backup to Sam. Maybe even Zach but is Gardner Minshew really a vetran?

I understand the supporting role and professionalism, in the film room and what not. I'm actually talking about playing and replacing a starter on the field in case of a significant injury.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I always thought that within reason, the backup should have a similar skill set to the starter?

I mentioned Fitzmagic months ago. Colt McCoy is gone. Tyrod Taylor is signed and for the life of me I never understood Joe Flacco backing up Sam. I think Gardner Minshew would have been a good backup to Sam. Maybe even Zach but is Gardner Minshew really a vetran?

I understand the supporting role and professionalism, in the film room and what not. I'm actually talking about playing and replacing a starter on the field in case of a significant injury.

Nick Mullens? 2300 yds last year 12 td; 12 int. 8 GS
Nobody knows how JD views Morgan..... no one has seen him play. Who knows what he looks like in practice. 

Edited by 32EBoozer

2 hours ago, Web72 said:

I can’t believe Mullins is not signed yet.  He’d be perfect to help teach Wilson the system 

I think the Jets pay good money to coaches to teach the players the system they are coaching.  Do we have a back up for every position to teach every player "the system?"  Is there a back up punter to teach the punter the system too?  There is a HC, and OC and a QB coach to teach Wilson or whoever. The back up QBs job is to be the back up, not teach or coach.Favre wouldn't Rodgers the time of day and Rodgers turned out ok.  Montana and Young were competitors and they both made the HOF.  This back up as a QB mentor is complete BS.  And I wouldn't want Hoyer teaching my starting QB anything.  

15 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I think the Jets pay good money to coaches to teach the players the system they are coaching.  Do we have a back up for every position to teach every player "the system?"  Is there a back up punter to teach the punter the system too?  There is a HC, and OC and a QB coach to teach Wilson or whoever. The back up QBs job is to be the back up, not teach or coach.Favre wouldn't Rodgers the time of day and Rodgers turned out ok.  Montana and Young were competitors and they both made the HOF.  This back up as a QB mentor is complete BS.  And I wouldn't want Hoyer teaching my starting QB anything.  

I said before who were Brady's backup QB's?? Bledsoe had Brady who never played before and Brady had Matt Cassell  a 7th rd pick who never played either.. Also the  new QB will have a QB coach which Sam never had. I would be fine with Mullens but unless you have a backup like Montana had most are overrated IMO..

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The backup is going to be whomever loses the battle in camp.......Morgan or rookie.JD said in the presser for Darnold that the Jets are "very excited" about Morgan.

Exactly, they're spending #2 overall on the backup QB. How many more resources do people want them to spend on that position?!!!!! ?