Cover 3 Breakdown

KRL

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Good schematic article.  I'm sure Saleh/Ulbrich will have wrinkles, but based
on the player responsibilities the CB's won't be as "stressed" as in a man to
man defense.  Therefore we may not be looking for a CB that early:

http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/glossary-football-101/2015/12/09/itp-glossary-cover-3/#:~:text=Cover 3 is a zone,or dime- backs) underneath.

kinda what i think.  they don't necessarily want a shut down corner.  those guys are good to have but there just aren't that many.  instead they'll decrease the amount of space each db has to cover so the guy doesn't have to go one on one for an extended period of time.  and if the 4 man dline can get some good pressure then that forces the qb to throw a little earlier.

• Upvote 1

Cover 3 can be vulnerable.   As was pointed out on that website.

That's why Saleh wants his front four to be relentlessly putting pressure on the QB 24/7.  Have a big enough stable of rushers.  And rotate them so as to have players rushing with fresh legs.  Especially to prevent fatigue setting in that would lessen the pressure in the 4thQ. 

There will probably be a lot of 4-2-5 schemes.  Pressuring with the front four. And allowing the back seven to be mostly in coverage situations...making plays on the ball.

Reality is that the offense will score.  But that this type of defensive approach should help keep down that score.  And that consistent pressure will result in creating some TO's.  Like in strip-sacks and/or INT's.

IMO...a dominant front four pass rush can better compensate for a mediocre secondary.  Then a good secondary can compensate for a DL of just good run stoppers.

So I wouldn't be surprised if JD uses a higher pick for edge then he does CB in this upcoming draft. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

IMO...a dominant front four pass rush can better compensate for a mediocre secondary.  Then a good secondary can compensate for a DL of just good run stoppers.

Step Brothers Yep GIF by reactionseditor

Yup, even a great corner will have trouble covering during an extended play. Coverage sacks are real, but they don't come as often as bad throws from a pass rush. Particularly when you have more and more QBs who can run when provided the opportunity. You're almost better with a zone D so that the QB doesn't get that 20+ yards of space that man coverage often will provide since in zone the CBs are reading the QB more so than tracking a WR down the field with their back turned to the QB when they're in man.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

kinda what i think.  they don't necessarily want a shut down corner.  those guys are good to have but there just aren't that many.  instead they'll decrease the amount of space each db has to cover so the guy doesn't have to go one on one for an extended period of time.  and if the 4 man dline can get some good pressure then that forces the qb to throw a little earlier.

I agree.

It is worth adding that Saleh's boundary corners will be expected to deliver an effective jam at the line to disrupt timing patterns.  Press and bail coverage.  This is the forte of Bryce Hall, Bless Austin and Lamar Jackson.  All are big corners who are adept at press and bail technique.  While the Jets still need another corner to fill out the roster, that corner will be expected to provide competition for Javelin Guidry in the slot. 

Such players can be found later in the draft.  I expect us to be opportunistic about adding another corner.  I could see us pick one early if the right player falls to us, but it is not critical since there is a huge pile of NFL veterans available.  From slot guys like Poole to press corners like Sherman.  There is a solid backup plan if we chose to go elsewhere in the draft.

1 hour ago, GreenReaper said:

Cover 3 can be vulnerable.   As was pointed out on that website.

That's why Saleh wants his front four to be relentlessly putting pressure on the QB 24/7.  Have a big enough stable of rushers.  And rotate them so as to have players rushing with fresh legs.  Especially to prevent fatigue setting in that would lessen the pressure in the 4thQ. 

There will probably be a lot of 4-2-5 schemes.  Pressuring with the front four. And allowing the back seven to be mostly in coverage situations...making plays on the ball.

Reality is that the offense will score.  But that this type of defensive approach should help keep down that score.  And that consistent pressure will result in creating some TO's.  Like in strip-sacks and/or INT's.

So I wouldn't be surprised if JD uses a higher pick for edge then he does CB in this upcoming draft. 

I really like our pass rush with QW and Lawson playing together on the D-line.  QW will continue to shine and Lawson was a very underrated signing 

That said we still need a competent #1 cover corner

• Upvote 2

So who is playing SS?  

Last years draft I remember Davis was being pegged as the best FS in the draft. Maye moved back to FS last season after starting out in JAdams old role. Lamarcus Joyner best position has also been reported as FS. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

You can only scheme so much to try to cover up having little to no talent at CB.  Eventually it gets exposed

Even if you have talent at CB, you can’t cover forever...even when we had Revis and Cro they still couldn’t stop QB’s of the calibre of Manning & Roethlisberger picking us apart because they had all day back there...no QB, no matter how great, like’s being pressured, 

3 hours ago, clayton163v said:

I agree.

It is worth adding that Saleh's boundary corners will be expected to deliver an effective jam at the line to disrupt timing patterns.  Press and bail coverage.  This is the forte of Bryce Hall, Bless Austin and Lamar Jackson.  All are big corners who are adept at press and bail technique.  While the Jets still need another corner to fill out the roster, that corner will be expected to provide competition for Javelin Guidry in the slot. 

Such players can be found later in the draft.  I expect us to be opportunistic about adding another corner.  I could see us pick one early if the right player falls to us, but it is not critical since there is a huge pile of NFL veterans available.  From slot guys like Poole to press corners like Sherman.  There is a solid backup plan if we chose to go elsewhere in the draft.

The typical "slot" CB position in this defense is usually manned by someone who can play near the line of scrimmage and cover TE's. It's not your typical Brian Poole type of guy. In the Legion of Boom defense it was played by Byron Maxwell who is 6'1" 205lbs. I could see a lineup where Austin or Jackson is playing that spot.

Also, think about this.  The CB's in that secondary were:

Richard Sherman (5th Round) 6'3" 205 lbs

Brandon Browner (Undrafted) 6'4" 230 lbs

Byron Maxwell (6th Round) 6'1" 205lbs

The current CB's in the Jets roster:

Bryce Hall 6'1" 202 lbs

Bless Austin 6'1" 198 lbs

Lamar Jackson 6'2" 208 lbs

The Jets have the personnel and size in the secondary to be effective in this scheme.  They just need to be coached up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, KRL said:

Good schematic article.  I'm sure Saleh/Ulbrich will have wrinkles, but based
on the player responsibilities the CB's won't be as "stressed" as in a man to
man defense.  Therefore we may not be looking for a CB that early:

http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/glossary-football-101/2015/12/09/itp-glossary-cover-3/#:~:text=Cover 3 is a zone,or dime- backs) underneath.

This is great.

I am old enough to remember Pete Carroll running a Cover 2 defense against the Oilers in the early 90's.  Warren Moon threw for almost 400 yards, had no INTs and they scored 12 points.  The Jets won, it was half time when I realized how good the game plan was. Completed pass, completed pass, no points once the field got smaller.

That defense has changed and this seems like the natural evolution.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

The typical "slot" CB position in this defense is usually manned by someone who can play near the line of scrimmage and cover TE's. It's not your typical Brian Poole type of guy. In the Legion of Boom defense it was played by Byron Maxwell who is 6'1" 205lbs. I could see a lineup where Austin or Jackson is playing that spot.

Also, think about this.  The CB's in that secondary were:

Richard Sherman (5th Round) 6'3" 205 lbs

Brandon Browner (Undrafted) 6'4" 230 lbs

Byron Maxwell (6th Round) 6'1" 205lbs

The current CB's in the Jets roster:

Bryce Hall 6'1" 202 lbs

Bless Austin 6'1" 198 lbs

Lamar Jackson 6'2" 208 lbs

The Jets have the personnel and size in the secondary to be effective in this scheme.  They just need to be coached up. 

Agreed, but they are going to need more depth at CB. I am thinking a 1st or 2nd round pick, along with Sherman for insurance.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Even if you have talent at CB, you can’t cover forever...even when we had Revis and Cro they still couldn’t stop QB’s of the calibre of Manning & Roethlisberger picking us apart because they had all day back there...no QB, no matter how great, like’s being pressured, 

You need both competent corners and a pass rush.  Right now we are developing pass rush with QW blossoming and the Lawson signing.  Our CBs are bottom 3 in the league currently

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, choon328 said:

CB's are not important to this defense. It's as simple as that. Shake the mentality of the last 12 years off . This is a different system that relies on the front four primarily. 

With this being the case I could see us adding Richard Sherman as a vet resource

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

4-3 .. needs dominant DL that can rush, an a supreme MLB ... hopefully Mosely is ready.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Agreed, that's why I can see us picking another DE at #23 or #34.  If Mosley "wants to play"

this year and he's in shape he could have a big year (a ton of ifs)

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

Agreed, that's why I can see us picking another DE at #23 or #34.  If Mosley "wants to play"

this year and he's in shape he could have a big year (a ton of ifs)

I think Davis will start at MLB and Moseley will get traded during or post draft for a 7th round conditional pick. He really doesn't fit the system as an off the ball linebacker and he's been away 2 years. I think the Jets will cut their losses and move on at this point since JD didn't sign him. It would free up an additional $1.5 million this year and $13 million in 2022.

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I think Davis will start at MLB and Moseley will get traded during or post draft for a 7th round conditional pick. He really doesn't fit the system as an off the ball linebacker and he's been away 2 years. I think the Jets will cut their losses and move on at this point since JD didn't sign him. It would free up an additional $1.5 million this year and $13 million in 2022.

Could see it, but I wonder if the BAL connection Douglas, Alexander & Savage had gives him a grace period

55 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Disagree. Moseley fits just fine. He's an all-pro linebacker, arguably our most accomplished defensive player. No reason to assume he is anything but eager to come back, under 30, never missed a snap until his flukey injury. Jets would be crazy to dump him in a fit of mean spiritedness. If he sucks and can't play anymore that's different, but we won't know that from training camp. Could be like adding another first rounder to our defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1