Josh McCown thinks Zach Wilson has a higher ceiling and a better upside than Trevor Lawrence

To this point, and I say this from the standpoint of the most casual of casual college football watchers, Chris Simms' analysis of the QBs, in contrast to some of the media football pundits, some of the posters on this board, and some of the Jets podcasters/youtubers I follow, has convinced me Wilson should be the pick. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mac Jones WRs last 2 years.  Jerry Jeudy.  Henry Ruggs. Jaylen Waddle.  Devonta Smith. Don’t tell me about Zach’s competition when Jones has been throwing to 4 NFL All Pros.

Duplicate thread, just a bit too late

One good year loading up stats against small school defenses

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

At what? Tennis? Golf?  It's a team sport.  OSU beat Clemson and Fields outplayed Lawrence in that game.  Which means what? 

Fields outplayed Lawrence in that game. 

9 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Mac Jones WRs last 2 years. 

Jerry Jeudy. 

Henry Ruggs.

Jaylen Waddle. 

Devonta Smith.

Don’t tell me about Zach’s competition when Jones has been throwing to 4 NFL All Pros.

Stop the nonsense. 

You should go look up John Metchie highlights. 🤯

The frame is an issue because it could affect Wilson’s durability going forward 

Wilson’s frame reminds me of Brodie Croyle (remember that clown?)

People talk about his slight frame but honestly the biggest concern I have with Wilson is his track record of success. He had one good year....like Paxton Lynch, like trubinsky like the Sanchize...these one hit wonders scare me to death

Sent from the NY Jets Draft Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

People talk about his slight frame but honestly the biggest concern I have with Wilson is his track record of success. He had one good year....like Paxton Lynch, like trubinsky like the Sanchize...these one hit wonders scare me to death

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Add Darnold to that list.

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Jerry Jeudy. 

Henry Ruggs.

Jaylen Waddle. 

Devonta Smith.

Don’t tell me about Zach’s competition when Jones has been throwing to 4 NFL All Pros.

Stop the nonsense. 

It's a similar argument with a guy like Kyle Trask who most people don't seem to like until later rounds.  For a QB he had a good season, but people say, "Of course he had a good year, he's sitting back and throwing to Kyle Pitts, Kadarius Toney, etc. all season."  Ironically, the same people who ding Trask as benefitting from great talent around him don't use the same approach when assessing a quarterback like Sam Darnold who had bad talent around him.

5 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

He had one exceptional year.

Far, far better than anything the others produced and he wasn’t exactly bad outside of a spell in his second season where he played injured. His talent was pretty obvious even in 2018.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So why weren’t there any other QBs in his conference who could make the same throws and put up the same numbers? Why aren’t there any QBs from small schools getting this much acclaim for their throws and stats? 

• Post of the Week 1

Reageading the attempt at humor using the mask movie as reference ...

Never like it when someone's appearance is attacked... it's literally 3rd grade antics .. in doing so you not only attack Trevor's appearance, you also slight some dude that had the horrible luck being born that way ..

Sad.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fields outplayed Lawrence in that game. 

And Peyton Manning lost just about every big game he ever played in at Tennessee 

11 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Reageading the attempt at humor using the mask movie as reference ...

Never like it when someone's appearance is attacked... it's literally 3rd grade antics .. in doing so you not only attack Trevor's appearance, you also slight some dude that had the horrible luck being born that way ..

Sad.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Trevor is supposed to look like the guy from Mask?  That’s a thing?

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And Peyton Manning lost just about every big game he ever played in at Tennessee 

He was not that much better as a Pro - 14-13 in playoff games as a Pro including this clunker in one of the all time Jets game (R.I.P. Stu)

Side note: Dungy is one of the most overrated coaches of all time. He was good but a HOF'er in my view. Also Polian really hurt that team resting Manning before the playoffs and Manning was not good off of rest. He needed to have a routine.

When someone says something nice about my guy, I agree with it. I agree with Josh McCown about Zach Wilson having a higher ceiling than Lawrence. If he said the inverse, I would say that he is clueless and shouldn't comment about anything regarding the Jets. 

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's a similar argument with a guy like Kyle Trask who most people don't seem to like until later rounds.  For a QB he had a good season, but people say, "Of course he had a good year, he's sitting back and throwing to Kyle Pitts, Kadarius Toney, etc. all season."  Ironically, the same people who ding Trask as benefitting from great talent around him don't use the same approach when assessing a quarterback like Sam Darnold who had bad talent around him.

Having a good season in college football, standing alone, doesn't really mean much. You still need to have arm strength, accuracy, mobility, pocket awareness  and a handful of other attributes. 

Trask doesn't have a strong arm, isn't very mobile and has injury concerns. Doesn't mean he can't be a good NFL player but you rarely see a QB with his red flags taken early. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And then left and watched Tee Martin take over and win a national championship the following year. 

22 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Jerry Jeudy. 

Henry Ruggs.

Jaylen Waddle. 

Devonta Smith.

Stop the nonsense. 

John Metchie gonna be a 1st rounder next year too.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, T0mShane said:

Two giants of the game concurring like this is all the evidence I need

I Colossus your Giant. Giants. I'm tired. Anyway, between McCown and The Chimp giving sage QB advice lately why don't they take their own advice and undraft themselves. 

On 4/12/2021 at 12:40 PM, Tranquilo said:

So why weren’t there any other QBs in his conference who could make the same throws and put up the same numbers? Why aren’t there any QBs from small schools getting this much acclaim for their throws and stats? 

Because they suck even more than Zach Wilson

On 4/13/2021 at 2:37 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And then left and watched Tee Martin take over and win a national championship the following year. 

I love the anti-TL people 

These guys were drooling over us getting Lawrence up until we beat the Rams they’ve since spent every waking minute, first convincing themselves trading 10x first round picks for Watson was a good idea, then Justin Fields was a better Russell Wilson and now Zach Wilson is not only better than Aaron Rodgers God is going to miracle is body into becoming durable in the NFL

On 4/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, Philc1 said:

Which translated to the NFL against the Pats. 

On 4/11/2021 at 12:13 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

The upside part isnt debateable.  We have enough games on Trevor Lawrence that we know what he is.  His ceiling is a Phillip Rivers/Matt Ryan type.  He can be a B plus qb.

Zach Wilson ceiling is patrick mahomes and Aaron Rodgers.  He can be an A plus qb.

It's very debatable.  Lawrence is way more athletic than either Rivers or Matt Ryan.  He's a physical freak and he's going to get bigger and stronger.  He gets rid of the ball very quickly and he can see over the LOS on quick plays.  

He's without question the No. 1 prospect in this class by miles.  

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's very debatable.  Lawrence is way more athletic than either Rivers or Matt Ryan.  He's a physical freak and he's going to get bigger and stronger.  He gets rid of the ball very quickly and he can see over the LOS on quick plays.  

He's without question the No. 1 prospect in this class by miles.  

Several miles