Jump to content

" Zach Wilson History Lesson Dept. : " ~ ~ ~


Recommended Posts

Zach Wilson History Lesson Dept. :

Over the last quarter-century, the Jets have swung and missed on their share of quarterbacks. In fact, over that 25-year span, the Jets have had 12 different quarterbacks lead their team in pass attempts and starts for at least one season. In other words: The Jets have cycled through 12 different starting quarterbacks in 2.5 decades—some because of injury, some because the position is a revolving door.

Barring an upset of large proportions, BYU’s Zach Wilson, the likely second pick in the April 29 draft, will be number 13.Year by year, here are the 12 different men who have led the Jets in passing for at least one of the last 25 seasons, along with the team’s record in the year or years they played.

 

Untitled.jpeg?w=929

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/11/20-qb-decisions-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

  • Thumb Down 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

There are exactly 3 QB's on that list that the Jets actually drafted in round 1 to play QB.  Pennington, Sanchez and Darnold.  Seems very reasonable to use a first round pick on a QB 4 times in 25 years.  

Yeah but none lasted more than 5 active yrs.  That is a history of whiffs with 1st rd QB’s for this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Yeah but none lasted more than 5 active yrs.  That is a history of whiffs with 1st rd QB’s for this team.

Pennington was the starter for 6 years. He was just injured for one and got benched in another. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Yeah but none lasted more than 5 active yrs.  That is a history of whiffs with 1st rd QB’s for this team.

It's 3 guys 2 of whom didn't whiff and the third was thrown into the deep end after wrapping him in chains and putting on cement shoes.   We didn't get 10 years of elite play from Pennington or Sanchez but they both were effective.  In Pennington's case had he been handed the starting job in 2001 instead of after a few games in 2002 we might well have gone deep in the playoffs both years. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

That's deceiving, Sanchez was here 5 years. If we move the bar to 4 years then we are talking about only 2 in 25 years....thats not exactly a history of whiffing. We can play with these numbers anyway we want but the vast majority of qb's on this list were temporary fixes intentionally.

Sent from the NY Jets Draft Suicide Watch desk.
 

I don't  think I would use Mark as an example of correctly keeping a QB for 5 years. He never should have been extended. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Yeah but none lasted more than 5 active yrs.  That is a history of whiffs with 1st rd QB’s for this team.

We drafted 6 QB's in round 1.  4 in the top 10.  One of them is in the HOF and won a SB.  2 of them took us to the AFC finals, one of them twice.  That's in close to 60 years.  I'm thinking that's not bad at all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

And more than half this board still wants to take a CB at #23.

OL..

 

😎

Link to post
Share on other sites

~ ~ 2) Teams are giving up on quarterbacks faster than they might’ve in the past. Put the Jets and Eagles in that category—and look to the money the position commands as a major factor. In Wentz’s case, his contract gave him the leverage to push his way out and forced the Eagles to assess him differently. In Darnold’s case, the looming $18.86 million option for 2022 forced a decision, at a time where the Jets could reset the clock on having a quarterback on a rookie contract, with the second pick.

rest of above article

>    https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/08/inside-story-of-why-jets-traded-darnold-new-qb-search

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference between all our previous QBs and Zack Wilson is it's the first time one of our major corporate sponsors will be related to the face of the franchise so I'm sure the Johnson's won't want to upset the sponsors and will do their best for Wilson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kelly said:

Zach Wilson History Lesson Dept. :

Over the last quarter-century, the Jets have swung and missed on their share of quarterbacks. In fact, over that 25-year span, the Jets have had 12 different quarterbacks lead their team in pass attempts and starts for at least one season. In other words: The Jets have cycled through 12 different starting quarterbacks in 2.5 decades—some because of injury, some because the position is a revolving door.

Barring an upset of large proportions, BYU’s Zach Wilson, the likely second pick in the April 29 draft, will be number 13.Year by year, here are the 12 different men who have led the Jets in passing for at least one of the last 25 seasons, along with the team’s record in the year or years they played.

 

Untitled.jpeg?w=929

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/11/20-qb-decisions-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

This is the kind of garbage that makes this forum unreadable at times.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jetsrule1969 said:

This is the kind of garbage that makes this forum unreadable at times.

tumblr_pxqnrdDu6m1ysbl45o2_400.gifv

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo what up guys (and gals).  Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Just published my first ever fanpost on SBNation:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22378730/hype-and-slander-narratives-and-labels-the-media-driven-in-anity-of

I wasn't sure where to put this and didn't want to be presumptuous by starting a new thread.

Please take a look if you're interested.  If not, no sweat. 

I know from reading this site off and on over the years that this can be a tough crowd.  But feel free to leave comments.  It's all good.

Take it easy and try to enjoy this "Draft Season" as much as possible.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Mark Sanchez played on a team built from the inside out.  There's a lesson there imo.

Different league. You can't compete with trash at QB anymore. It's the first requirement. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yo what up guys (and gals).  Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Just published my first ever fanpost on SBNation:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22378730/hype-and-slander-narratives-and-labels-the-media-driven-in-anity-of

I wasn't sure where to put this and didn't want to be presumptuous by starting a new thread.

Please take a look if you're interested.  If not, no sweat. 

I know from reading this site off and on over the years that this can be a tough crowd.  But feel free to leave comments.  It's all good.

Take it easy and try to enjoy this "Draft Season" as much as possible.

 

The talking heads on tv are not going to say Wilson should not be a high draft pick because it serves their carrier no purpose. It will take 3 years for them to be proved right and most people will have forgotten what their opinion on a draft pick was. People only care when you build up a prospect no one else is and it turns out to be correct.

I feel sorry for Wilson, he has been built up as a combination of Mahomes and Rodgers and the chances of him been the player he is been touted as are slim, even if he turns out to be a good NFL QB he will be seen as a guy who never lived up to his potential.

The safe player to build up in this draft is Mac jones, he will most likely have the longest carrier of all this year's QBs while never been great he will always have his teams competitive as he is supposedly a smart and prototypical nfl qb. If I was a GM he would be who I'd pick because you most likely last 15 years in the job with a Brees type QB putting you in playoff contention every year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 3:50 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yo what up guys (and gals).  Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Just published my first ever fanpost on SBNation:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22378730/hype-and-slander-narratives-and-labels-the-media-driven-in-anity-of

I wasn't sure where to put this and didn't want to be presumptuous by starting a new thread.

Please take a look if you're interested.  If not, no sweat. 

I know from reading this site off and on over the years that this can be a tough crowd.  But feel free to leave comments.  It's all good.

Take it easy and try to enjoy this "Draft Season" as much as possible.

 

Hi. Welcome. And thanks for posting the article.  Seems like you put in a lot of effort and it’s written really well. 

With that said, it basically amounts to a Wilson hit peice.

 
While I agree there is often group think that effects decision - the presumption you made that it’s impossible that the 5 Jet leaders came to conclusion that TL and ZW were clearly 1 and 2 seems simply skewed by your dislike of Wilson.  
Wilson and Lawrence are viewed by many as clear 1 and 2, with a substantial drop off to 3 - that is, by no means an aberration,  I think it’s not only possible but probable that what JD said was the truth.  

Also, Mitch Trubisky’s failure has nothing to do with Zach Wilson   

Again, thank you for writing it, great job  enjoyed it - I just disagree with your premise  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pennington was a fine first round QB done in by injuries. sh*t, up until last year he was the only QB to win the division other than Brady and he did it for two different teams. If you look back at the "you play to win the game" season, prior to his injury Pennington's arm was not the noodle arm people like to believe it was. And the kid had every other QB quality in spades.

Sanchez was working out fine when supported by a great O line, running game and an above average receiving corps. There is little doubt he was actually kind of clutch turning in some really good playoff performances and I believe he led quite a few fourth quarter comebacks in his second year. I have no idea why the front office decided to take these things away from Sanchez and expect him to succeed. I almost feel like they were thinking, "Fine, you want to be extended and paid like a great QB, well than you can go it alone." Sanchez came out of college too early and need more nurturing. He had the potential to be a game manager+ QB. The + is that he had demonstrated himself to play at a higher level in big games. 

Darnold was more talented than Sanchez, but like Sanchez came out of college too early and was even greener than Sanchez. So, what do the Jets do? Of course they surround him with garbage. Making matters worse, his first OC was out of the NFL for years before the Jets hired him and his second OC was god awful. The cherry on top is that in the 3 years Darnold was with the Jets he NEVER had a dedicated QB coach.

So, the Jets have not done poorly in deciding which QB to take in the first round. One had his career ruined by injuries and the other two, save for Sanchez's first few years, were not developed correctly. In fact, what the Jets did to them is like a roadmap for how to destroy a young inexperienced QBs career.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 6:43 AM, adobolo2 said:

The talking heads on tv are not going to say Wilson should not be a high draft pick because it serves their carrier no purpose. It will take 3 years for them to be proved right and most people will have forgotten what their opinion on a draft pick was. People only care when you build up a prospect no one else is and it turns out to be correct.

I feel sorry for Wilson, he has been built up as a combination of Mahomes and Rodgers and the chances of him been the player he is been touted as are slim, even if he turns out to be a good NFL QB he will be seen as a guy who never lived up to his potential.

The safe player to build up in this draft is Mac jones, he will most likely have the longest carrier of all this year's QBs while never been great he will always have his teams competitive as he is supposedly a smart and prototypical nfl qb. If I was a GM he would be who I'd pick because you most likely last 15 years in the job with a Brees type QB putting you in playoff contention every year.

Just want to understand what you're saying with the bolded.

Is it that you know Zach Wilson shouldn't be a high draft pick - and that the GM's around the league are completely wrong.  But the media KNOWS better - they KNOW ZW should not a high draft pick - but won't tell us because "it serves their carrier no purpose"?

Is that really the argument you're making?  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Just want to understand what you're saying with the bolded.

Is it that you know Zach Wilson shouldn't be a high draft pick - and that the GM's around the league are completely wrong.  But the media KNOWS better - they KNOW ZW should not a high draft pick - but won't tell us because "it serves their carrier no purpose"?

Is that really the argument you're making?  

 

What I'm saying is it possible that every single tv draft personality likes Wilson? Possibly but surely one or two of them must have their doubts, but why do they not air them bar the one statement about "level of competition". I was listening to the editor of Ourlads publication Dan Shonka last night and he's not sold on Wilson but he can say that because he does not work for ESPN or NFLN.

As for GMs falling head over heals in love with Wilson, how do we know that? Because charlie casserly did an survey of 23 nfl front offices, give me a break.

If this message board could be used as representation of the fan base it's probably 60/40 in favour of Wilson, but why are so many against picking Wilson. He's been touted as the next mahomes or rodgers, is coming off an incredible season, has every major media organisation behind him but yet so many of us are doubtful about his ability to lead an NFL franchise.

You know I was a keep Darnold guy and that's over with, I will have to accept Wilson is the next QB of the jets but I'm not expecting as much from him as a pro as some are, perhaps its a subconscious thing after been let down by Sanchez and Darnold following the fan fair of their arrival at the jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With a brand new coaching staff and a GM who is drafting his first QB with the Jets and who is only in his second offseason in his GM role, what does the Jets history of developing QBs have to do with whichever QB the Jets draft on 4/29???????

The only thing that is constant over the past 25 years is the name of the team.  Yes, they are still the New York Jets.

Douglas had one full offseason with Darnold last year (Mac ran the offseason in 2019. Douglas was hired after the draft).  He inherited Gase.

Other than that, not a single person that had any role in choosing and developing past Jets QBs is still with the organization.  Not a single person in the organization currently played a role in choosing or developing past Jets QBs.  So tell me, why is this history relevant in any way to Zach Wilson???  It isn't. At all.  It is complete BS.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

What I'm saying is it possible that every single tv draft personality likes Wilson? Possibly but surely one or two of them must have their doubts, but why do they not air them bar the one statement about "level of competition". I was listening to the editor of Ourlads publication Dan Shonka last night and he's not sold on Wilson but he can say that because he does not work for ESPN or NFLN.

As for GMs falling head over heals in love with Wilson, how do we know that? Because charlie casserly did an survey of 23 nfl front offices, give me a break.

If this message board could be used as representation of the fan base it's probably 60/40 in favour of Wilson, but why are so many against picking Wilson. He's been touted as the next mahomes or rodgers, is coming off an incredible season, has every major media organisation behind him but yet so many of us are doubtful about his ability to lead an NFL franchise.

You know I was a keep Darnold guy and that's over with, I will have to accept Wilson is the next QB of the jets but I'm not expecting as much from him as a pro as some are, perhaps its a subconscious thing after been let down by Sanchez and Darnold following the fan fair of their arrival at the jets.

First, I should say I don't watch ESPN or NFLN except for sporting events - so I really don't know what they say.  

but what fans and media think are entirely different than what GM's think - they're the ones watching film, speaking directly to the player and doing countless hours of research.

Charlie Casserly is a connected guy -it highly unlikely he made that up - especially it's because we're hearing that from just about every other leak.

We've heard the 49ers love Wilson

We've heard the Eagles only wanted to trade up to get Wilson

and, there are of course countless other discussions about what GM's like who. 

Bottom line though.

You may not like the player - that's certainly your right. 

But continuing to claim he's not a high first round prospect and that people around the league don't really think he's a high level prospect - and EVERYTHING we're hearing is just BS or some type of smoke screen is just silly at this point.

He's a super talented kid with an elite skill-set that aligns perfectly with todays NFL.  That's pretty much inarguable at this point.  I really don't know if it will translate to a successful NFL career - no idea.  But the talent and skill-set is all there.

You want to give reasons why you think he'll fail despite his natural talent - have at it - I would love to hear it and very much enjoy that debate...

But this idea that he's not really viewed as an elite prospect and what we're hearing about him is just BS and noise -  is just silly at this point

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Pennington was a fine first round QB done in by injuries. sh*t, up until last year he was the only QB to win the division other than Brady and he did it for two different teams. If you look back at the "you play to win the game" season, prior to his injury Pennington's arm was not the noodle arm people like to believe it was. And the kid had every other QB quality in spades.

Sanchez was working out fine when supported by a great O line, running game and an above average receiving corps. There is little doubt he was actually kind of clutch turning in some really good playoff performances and I believe he led quite a few fourth quarter comebacks in his second year. I have no idea why the front office decided to take these things away from Sanchez and expect him to succeed. I almost feel like they were thinking, "Fine, you want to be extended and paid like a great QB, well than you can go it alone." Sanchez came out of college too early and need more nurturing. He had the potential to be a game manager+ QB. The + is that he had demonstrated himself to play at a higher level in big games. 

Darnold was more talented than Sanchez, but like Sanchez came out of college too early and was even greener than Sanchez. So, what do the Jets do? Of course they surround him with garbage. Making matters worse, his first OC was out of the NFL for years before the Jets hired him and his second OC was god awful. The cherry on top is that in the 3 years Darnold was with the Jets he NEVER had a dedicated QB coach.

So, the Jets have not done poorly in deciding which QB to take in the first round. One had his career ruined by injuries and the other two, save for Sanchez's first few years, were not developed correctly. In fact, what the Jets did to them is like a roadmap for how to destroy a young inexperienced QBs career.

This post aligns with my thinking 100%!!

Great Post!!

How sane people could argue what you put forth here is beyond me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Pennington was a fine first round QB done in by injuries. sh*t, up until last year he was the only QB to win the division other than Brady and he did it for two different teams. If you look back at the "you play to win the game" season, prior to his injury Pennington's arm was not the noodle arm people like to believe it was. And the kid had every other QB quality in spades.

Sanchez was working out fine when supported by a great O line, running game and an above average receiving corps. There is little doubt he was actually kind of clutch turning in some really good playoff performances and I believe he led quite a few fourth quarter comebacks in his second year. I have no idea why the front office decided to take these things away from Sanchez and expect him to succeed. I almost feel like they were thinking, "Fine, you want to be extended and paid like a great QB, well than you can go it alone." Sanchez came out of college too early and need more nurturing. He had the potential to be a game manager+ QB. The + is that he had demonstrated himself to play at a higher level in big games. 

Darnold was more talented than Sanchez, but like Sanchez came out of college too early and was even greener than Sanchez. So, what do the Jets do? Of course they surround him with garbage. Making matters worse, his first OC was out of the NFL for years before the Jets hired him and his second OC was god awful. The cherry on top is that in the 3 years Darnold was with the Jets he NEVER had a dedicated QB coach.

So, the Jets have not done poorly in deciding which QB to take in the first round. One had his career ruined by injuries and the other two, save for Sanchez's first few years, were not developed correctly. In fact, what the Jets did to them is like a roadmap for how to destroy a young inexperienced QBs career.

agreed/true !  😎.. hopefully we've Learned  😎

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...