" Zach Wilson History Lesson Dept. : " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Another thing is:

Obviously it’s much more likely that MW is more of a Matt Flynn case study than, say a Jeff a Hostetler or even Rich Gannon

but we don’t know sure until we know for sure

maybe he’s good enough to be a semi-competent starter and possibly more.

In limited opportunities, he certainly had the offense in better rhythm than ZW

I’m not willing to write the guy off after 1 bad game vs a top-ranked Bills D

5 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Another thing is:

Obviously it’s much more likely that MW is more of a Matt Flynn case study than, say a Jeff a Hostetler or even Rich Gannon

but we don’t know sure until we know for sure

maybe he’s good enough to be a semi-competent starter and possibly more.

In limited opportunities, he certainly had the offense in better rhythm than ZW

I’m not willing to write the guy off after 1 bad game vs a top-ranked Bills D

Nor am I but the existence of MW will not prevent the Jets from pursuing whatever other QB avenues are available next off season if need be. #2 needs to start as much as possible and not still be a question mark this time next year. In order of preferred outcomes:

1. He shows out. Doesn’t have to be perfect but demonstrates undeniable FQB traits (I.e. production).

2. He bombs miserably and Jets accept they need to move on.

3. He does neither of these things and we are in the same place we are now.

Goes without saying we are all hoping for #1 but contemplating #2 or even being worried that it’s the most likely outcome doesn’t mean rooting for him to fail. I have insurance on my house but I don’t want it to burn down.

#3 is the nightmare scenario I hope to avoid.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:23 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

Pennington was a fine first round QB done in by injuries. sh*t, up until last year he was the only QB to win the division other than Brady and he did it for two different teams. If you look back at the "you play to win the game" season, prior to his injury Pennington's arm was not the noodle arm people like to believe it was. And the kid had every other QB quality in spades.

Sanchez was working out fine when supported by a great O line, running game and an above average receiving corps. There is little doubt he was actually kind of clutch turning in some really good playoff performances and I believe he led quite a few fourth quarter comebacks in his second year. I have no idea why the front office decided to take these things away from Sanchez and expect him to succeed. I almost feel like they were thinking, "Fine, you want to be extended and paid like a great QB, well than you can go it alone." Sanchez came out of college too early and need more nurturing. He had the potential to be a game manager+ QB. The + is that he had demonstrated himself to play at a higher level in big games. 

Up until the part about Darnold you are SPOT on...

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To the end of his rookie deal?  Sure.

The extension was the problem.  Receiving one when there was absolutely no reason to do so at that time was one of Tannenbaum’s worst mistakes.  

neglecting the rest of the team, after the extension was Tanny's mistake, not actually extending Sanchez. I'll give you it was probably the wrong time, but had Tanny done everything in his power to keep a good OL, I would have extended Sanchez as well. The problem was Rex had just arrived with Sanchez, and once they were done with Mangini's boy's, then Rex started thinking he could GM as well as coach. He should have just stick to coaching.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To the end of his rookie deal?  Sure.

The extension was the problem.  Receiving one when there was absolutely no reason to do so at that time was one of Tannenbaum’s worst mistakes.  

Sanchez extension made Carolina picking up Darnold’s 5th year option appear Newsomesque in comparison.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Back to back AFC championship games... both of them they were winning at halftime. Say what you want about Sanchez, he deserved an extended look. 

When he was extended, he clearly was not a QB that was going to be anything special.  

58 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

When he was extended, he clearly was not a QB that was going to be anything special.  

Credit to Sanchez for having some memorable moments in the playoffs but you’re spot on here. Those teams could’ve gotten as far with like 25 of the 32 starting QBs. You do not pay a premium for players like that. If they play hardball you replace with a cheap journeyman and/or draft again.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

neglecting the rest of the team, after the extension was Tanny's mistake, not actually extending Sanchez. I'll give you it was probably the wrong time, but had Tanny done everything in his power to keep a good OL, I would have extended Sanchez as well. The problem was Rex had just arrived with Sanchez, and once they were done with Mangini's boy's, then Rex started thinking he could GM as well as coach. He should have just stick to coaching.

They were both big mistakes, but let's face it, keeping an elite roster together to surround Sanchez was never going to be possible.  Tannenbaum spent to go "all in" with those 2009-2011 teams, with a very top-heavy approach to spending (not to mention a similar approach to drafting, where he constantly traded up).  A philosophy like that makes it quite easy for a roster to fall apart quickly.

And a lot of those guys at the top of the roster were aging veterans.  These were the ages of some of the key players on the roster in 2010:

• Tony Richardson (38)
  • Shaun Ellis (33)
  • Damien Woody (32)
  • Bryan Thomas (31)
  • LaDainian Tomlinson (31)
  • Sione Pouha (31)
  • Brandon Moore (30)
  • Calvin Pace (30)
  • Bart Scott (30)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They were both big mistakes, but let's face it, keeping an elite roster together to surround Sanchez was never going to be possible.  Tannenbaum spent to go "all in" with those 2009-2011 teams, with a very top-heavy approach to spending (not to mention a similar approach to drafting, where he constantly traded up).  A philosophy like that makes it quite easy for a roster to fall apart quickly.

And a lot of those guys at the top of the roster were aging veterans.  These were the ages of some of the key players on the roster in 2010:

• Tony Richardson (38)
  • Shaun Ellis (33)
  • Damien Woody (32)
  • Bryan Thomas (31)
  • LaDainian Tomlinson (31)
  • Sione Pouha (31)
  • Brandon Moore (30)
  • Calvin Pace (30)
  • Bart Scott (30)

Unless you are one the the NFL’s elite teams in terms of stability, management and sustained success, it’s hard to fault Tammy’s strategy to go all in when we had a window the future be damned. As you’ve said, it was destined to end the way it did but this is the Jets we are talking about you take your shots when you get them.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Unless you are one the the NFL’s elite teams in terms of stability, management and sustained success, it’s hard to fault Tammy’s strategy to go all in when we had a window the future be damned. As you’ve said, it was destined to end the way it did but this is the Jets we are talking about you take your shots when you get them.

Which is why Tannenbaum >>>>> Idzik >> Maccagnan among the 3 most recent GMs.  At least Tannenbaum had some stones on him.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

The interesting thing to me is that before they extended Sanchez, they seemed to show that they knew he wasn't the answer.  They flirted with bringing Manning over, but when he didn't bite they extended Sanchez.  After the sh*t with Santonio, they probably should have just forced him to play out his deal.  Instead they extended him and brought in Tebow.  Yikes! 

FWIW, I remember Tannenbaum discussing moves Idzik was making on some show and it sounded like he was saying, "Yeah, duh.  We had a plan in place to free up cap space."  He said they had moves in place to free up some cap and Idzik, to his credit, was making them.  Idzik came on board and cut Scott, Pace, Pouha and Eric Smith.  He ended up bringing Pace back and restructuring Santonio and Cromartie. 

• Upvote 1