Breer On Douglas And Saleh's Staff

KRL

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Boom.

Well as we know JD was brought in after Gase was hired with no power to get rid of him. What did you expect him to say at that point?

Its different when you hire your own guys And this just has a different feeling. He hires a young defensive HC who other teams were clamoring for. He's bringing in a new defensive philosophy of actually  rushing the QB instead of playing coverage. He brings in a young modern OC who comes from a highly effective offensive tree.Thereuis a lot to be excited about when it comes to the coaching staff. Now,  JD just has to give them the pieces to work with. That part is still up in the air.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Well as we know JD was brought in after Gase was hired with no power to get rid of him. What did you expect him to say at that point?

Its different when you hire your own guys And this just has a different feeling. He hires a young defensive HC who other teams were clamoring for. He's bringing in a new defensive philosophy of actually  rushing the QB instead of playing coverage. He brings in a young modern OC who comes from a highly effective offensive tree.Thereuis a lot to be excited about when it comes to the coaching staff. Now,  JD just has to give them the pieces to work with. That part is still up in the air.

That was a pretty effusive b/s statement by JD.   Unless he truly believed it.   

1 minute ago, jetsrule1969 said:

The only comparison is when Parcells came in. Actually this is better because we all knew Parcells would bail sooner or later.

I really thought we’d get Parcells for 4 years, then he’d be the GM/Godfather for over a decade with BB as our HC.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Ryan and Tannenbaum (early) were probably unified, before that it was when Parcells was HC and GM

I think that in some ways you are 100% right

To me, the issue isn't whether or not the GM and HC are on the same page per se but rather does the organization have a mission and a  values plan for which all in the the organization from top to bottom must adhere.

That is the power of what you posted originally shows; the Jets have a real plan for everyone.

Contrast this with the Jets & Gase ---- who was not concerned with the defense, because the DC was essentially hired before him or the development of their 1st round pick QB enough to even hire him a QB coach! 

Most people don't think the vision & values stuff matters but it does matter to organizations that are truly successful.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Explosiveness in the run game? That screams Travis Etienne at 23 or 34

Probably not.  There's a lot of "explosive" RB's in the mid-rounds this year.  @Paradis pointed out Nathan McCrary, Kene Nwangwu, Chris Evans, Jake Funk, Trey Sermon and Elijah Mitchell among the athletic RB's in this class.  

Meanwhile, neither Douglas nor the coaching staff come from a "draft RBs early" background.  

• Upvote 2

From Cimini's article on Sunday.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/86368/new-york-jets-deal-their-way-into-franchise-changing-game-of-21

1. Card shark: Joe Douglas wants to build through the draft. Every general manager says that. When was the last time you heard a GM say, "I don't care about draft picks. I want to spend a ton of my owner's money on free agents so can be in salary-cap hell" In Douglas' case, it's not lip service.

Because of the Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams trades, he's sitting on a war chest of draft picks. The Jets have 21 picks in 2021 and 2022; the last time they made that many selections in back-to-back drafts was 1997 and 1998, Bill Parcells' first two years in charge.

Those 21 choices include seven in Rounds 1 and 2. If the Jets use all of those picks, it would be the most in the first two rounds over a two-year period in franchise history. The best comparison is 2000-01, when they made six picks -- including four first-rounders in the watershed 2000 draft.

From a leaguewide perspective, this sort of thing doesn't happen often. In 2018 and 2019, the Indianapolis Colts made eight picks in the first and second rounds -- thanks to the Jets, coincidentally.

New York currently has 21 total picks over the 2021 and 2022 NFL drafts.

ROUND NO. PICKS
First 4
Second 3
Third 3
Fourth 2
Fifth 4
Sixth 5
Seventh 0

The Cleveland Browns also hit the eight mark in 2017 and 2018. Prior to them, you have to go back to the New England Patriots (2010-11) to find a team that reached seven.

All three teams wound up drafting generational-type players -- guard Quenton Nelson (Colts), defensive end Myles Garrett (Browns) and tight end Rob Gronkowski (Patriots).

Douglas has no excuses. Whether you liked the trades or not, he set himself up to restock the Jets' roster with talent. It also affords him tremendous flexibility. If a high-profile player hits the trading block, which is happening with greater frequency, the Jets will have the draft capital to make a deal. Prepare for rumors galore over the next 12 months.

"Ultimately, with the premium picks -- your first-, second-, third-round picks -- those are the picks you're looking to become starters on your team," Douglas said. " ... We do have a lot of assets as we sit here now, but we have to make the most of this opportunity."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yea, the experience, philosophies and even physical appearance of Reid and Saleh are nearly identical. If you put them next to each other, I couldn't tell them apart. 

Reid ate saleh and that made him a better coach. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably not.  There's a lot of "explosive" RB's in the mid-rounds this year.  @Paradis pointed out Nathan McCrary, Kene Nwangwu, Chris Evans, Jake Funk, Trey Sermon and Elijah Mitchell among the athletic RB's in this class.  

Meanwhile, neither Douglas nor the coaching staff come from a "draft RBs early" background.  

Personally, I think i have as good a chance at being selected at #23 as Etienne does... ok, maybe slight edge goes to Travis. 

Without knowing anything about anything, i could still bet my penis on the Jets not taking a running back at #23 lol... (?)

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Plus Josh Adams and Ty Johnson are fairly athletic themselves. If they had more run instead of Gase doing Frank Gore a solid people might be more excited about them. Either way, other than maybe the NC guys or Kenneth Gainwell in middle rounds, I'm not really interested in a RB until later in the draft.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, KRL said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/12/mmqb-brandon-staley-building-relationships-chargers-sam-darnold-trade

Going through the Darnold process was really good for the Jets’ new powerbrokers. Through it, Joe Douglas and his top lieutenants (Rex Hogan, Chad Alexander and Phil Savage) had a great shot to see up close what Saleh and his coaches value in players. “No doubt,” said Douglas, when we talked Wednesday. “Obviously, you’re excited about Robert. And then you’re excited about this great staff of hires and teachers he’s bringing in. And then you’re excited about the defensive scheme, guys attacking up front, getting off the ball and creating havoc on the D-line. And this offensive scheme, creating explosives in the run game and creating explosives off of that with the play-action pass and all the different route combinations they have. So you’re fired up about that. And then you get into these meetings, and there’s such a clear-cut plan. There’s such great teaching methods that they have in place. And just going through these conversations, it’s reinforced the excitement that you had when we made the hire. These are great guys, man. They have the vision and they have a plan and it makes your job easier from a personnel perspective when there is that clear vision in what they’re looking for—like, O.K., this is easy, we can find guys that are made of the right stuff. It’s been cool. It’s been really cool.” Obviously, a lot rides on what the quarterback taken second overall becomes (cough, Zach, cough, Wilson). But if the Jets hit on him? I think there’s real reason for optimism in Florham Park.

if they cant get it right then  right im going to drive my self into the ****in wall lol

2 hours ago, jetsrule1969 said:

The only comparison is when Parcells came in. Actually this is better because we all knew Parcells would bail sooner or later.

Yeah but maybe not THAT soon.  I think he only took the job to spite NE.  It was more to get at them than it was to coach the Jets.   I could be wrong but that is how it felt, especially with hindsight. 

9 hours ago, KRL said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/12/mmqb-brandon-staley-building-relationships-chargers-sam-darnold-trade

Going through the Darnold process was really good for the Jets’ new powerbrokers. Through it, Joe Douglas and his top lieutenants (Rex Hogan, Chad Alexander and Phil Savage) had a great shot to see up close what Saleh and his coaches value in players. “No doubt,” said Douglas, when we talked Wednesday. “Obviously, you’re excited about Robert. And then you’re excited about this great staff of hires and teachers he’s bringing in. And then you’re excited about the defensive scheme, guys attacking up front, getting off the ball and creating havoc on the D-line. And this offensive scheme, creating explosives in the run game and creating explosives off of that with the play-action pass and all the different route combinations they have. So you’re fired up about that. And then you get into these meetings, and there’s such a clear-cut plan. There’s such great teaching methods that they have in place. And just going through these conversations, it’s reinforced the excitement that you had when we made the hire. These are great guys, man. They have the vision and they have a plan and it makes your job easier from a personnel perspective when there is that clear vision in what they’re looking for—like, O.K., this is easy, we can find guys that are made of the right stuff. It’s been cool. It’s been really cool.” Obviously, a lot rides on what the quarterback taken second overall becomes (cough, Zach, cough, Wilson). But if the Jets hit on him? I think there’s real reason for optimism in Florham Park.

REx Hogan and Phil Savage those guys arent holdovers from the Tanny days are they?

10 hours ago, KRL said:

It will be a big piece of the puzzle...if Wilson is a good fit for LaFleur's Shanahan style offense.  And if the Jets big board is filled with choices of players that fit the system Saleh and his CS want to implement.  Then those 21 picks over the next two drafts have a good chance of being successful ones.  

It does feel as though there is a legit unity of vision and enthusiastic collaboration between JD-FO and Saleh-CS.  It gives me confidence that Jets can get out of this vicious circle jerk cycle of constant new GM-HC-QB that repeats after each fail. 

Man...this draft can't come soon enough for me. 

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually I dont ever remember a GM gushing over the staff his pick at HC put together.  That a staff is united in what they want to teach and how.  

This feels different.  

Usually the staff has the feel of a bunch of retreads just happy to be getting a steady check and aside from that they all disagree with each other about everything else.

I especially believe in Coach Gase," Douglas said, even though the Jets went 7-9 in the coach's first season at the helm, per Ralph Vacchiano of SNY. "I believe he's the right coach to lead this team. I feel really good about where we are with him and his leadership."

First, we have all been burned so many times.  Anyone who isn't saying "Show me on the field" is nuts.  I had a negative reaction to Breer's statements just because we have been through it so many times.

But you also have to cut Douglas some slack.  What was he supposed to say?  He just got a new gig.  Is he supposed to throw his boss and co-workers under the bus.  Of course not.

You always have to take these public pronouncements with a grain of salt.  What's the answer when they make a strong statement and then do the exact opposite a few weeks/months later (Hello, JA)?  That was then, this is now.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We don't play games on paper, but on paper, the stars are finally aligned. We have a GM that most of us seem pleased with, or at least optimistic about. He got to choose his head coach, which most of us, if not all of us are please with. We have the correct organizational structure with the GM reporting to the owner and the head coach reporting to the GM. The head coach got to build his own staff. We have cap space.  We have our choice of Zach Wilson or Zach Wilson with our 2nd overall pick. We have multiple day one and two draft picks in 2021 and 2022.

In other words, JD has no excuses for this team not to vastly improve in 2021 and to start competing for a division title in 2022. 

Even on paper, even including the draft picks, this roster still reeks 

• Upvote 1

Remember when Kerry Rhodes told Sportscenter that the difference between Herm and Mangini is that Mangini would run through a brick wall along with the players and we all ejaculated. 

These blurbs have no effect on me anymore, and if they have an effect on you, it's weird. This sh*t is all weird. 

• Haha 2

I’m confused. Is Saleh coaching where football is going or is he coaching where football has been because it was successful back there?

And is this an update from Joe Douglas telling us, “Hey, remember those hires I made back in February? Well it turns out I got it right because we just had some meetings and I found out these are really good guys.“

Same thing @football guy said a couple of months ago 

I do think there’s one thing everyone should know about Darnold before we move on. Really, there’s a pretty simple explanation for why he played like he did the last couple years—and that boils right down to fit. I don’t really know how sold Adam Gase ever was on Darnold (he preferred Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen ahead of the 2018 draft, when he was still in Miami), and I do think the result of that was that the Jets never bent quite enough to make their system work for him the last couple of years. It’s easy to blame Gase for that, and some of it is on him. But it’s also on those doing the hiring in 2019, who by then had to know the player, and how he’d fit the coach he was about to work under. Fact is, Darnold was relatively raw coming out of USC, hadn’t had the classic quarterback training growing up in Orange County that a lot of others have (because he was a multisport athlete in high school) and played in a fairly simple system in college that allowed him to make the most of his athletic gifts. Coming to the pros, he simply wasn’t ready to run a complex system—and that’s not to say he wouldn’t eventually be able to get there. It was at the point where I know it was suggested to the coaches that they take line calls and “Mike” points off of him and give those responsibilities to the center, to try and get Darnold playing faster. And it never happened. That’s also why I think the Shanahan system is seen as a good fit for Darnold—because that system takes much of the mental burden off the quarterback. So now, as I see it, it’ll be on Panthers OC Joe Brady to tailor his scheme in a way that works for Darnold. And prioritizing getting Darnold playing fast again would be a good place to start.

• Upvote 2

Well for the first time in forever ago, it seems like we're trying to really get it right!?

I honestly can't remember the last time we had a New GM that chose the coach and the quarterback + 21 picks in the next two drafts? Let's see what they can do!

As a Jets fan I can say I'm intrigued!?  Pretty much because I get excited every time there's a change and keep getting burned?

Seriously it looks promising. If the Johnsons stay out of it we might even be able to build up a little respect around the league.

9 hours ago, choon328 said:

Explosiveness in the run game? That screams Travis Etienne at 23 or 34

There's no explosive runs unless the OL can block and open up running lanes. JD better listen to his own philosophy on team building. Impose our will on the other team starting with the OL and DL.

Build the foundation and then add the final pieces.

8 hours ago, Marshmello said:

"Ultimately, with the premium picks -- your first-, second-, third-round picks -- those are the picks you're looking to become starters on your team," Douglas said. " ... We do have a lot of assets as we sit here now, but we have to make the most of this opportunity."

JD BETTER make the most of this opportunity. I don't want these picks to just turn out to be starters, hell, on this Jets team I could draft players that would start on the crap roster we have now.

I want the draft picks - all at premium positions - to be top players that could start on almost any team. With that many picks I expect to see a few all star All-Pro caliber players.

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

There's no explosive runs unless the OL can block and open up running lanes. JD better listen to his own philosophy on team building. Impose our will on the other team starting with the OL and DL.

Build the foundation and then add the final pieces.

I agree they need to address the IOL twice in the first 4 rounds in the draft. But doing that while ignoring HB in the draft with their current depth chart there would be like buying an 18 wheeler and using it to deliver pizza. All offseason JD has talked about the same thing over and over in every press conference. They want to get explosive on offense. The whole offense is built around the run game and I doubt they're going to leave the success of the offense and their young QB to a couple of backups and an injured almost starter. If they're serious about setting Wilson up for success the first 4 picks after he gets selected should be spent on: 2 IOL, HB and TE/WR. The defense can be addressed with the 5 total picks in rounds 4, 5 and 6.

Show me on the field. I've heard this story a few times already.

A little different than after Gase’s presser when you tried REAL hard to convince yourself:

“Maybe he isn’t as weird as he looks.”

“Maybe the players won’t hate him.”

“Maybe he won’t be as bad as he was in Miami.”

None of that is happening here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

I agree they need to address the IOL twice in the first 4 rounds in the draft. But doing that while ignoring HB in the draft with their current depth chart there would be like buying an 18 wheeler and using it to deliver pizza. All offseason JD has talked about the same thing over and over in every press conference. They want to get explosive on offense. The whole offense is built around the run game and I doubt they're going to leave the success of the offense and their young QB to a couple of backups and an injured almost starter. If they're serious about setting Wilson up for success the first 4 picks after he gets selected should be spent on: 2 IOL, HB and TE/WR. The defense can be addressed with the 5 total picks in rounds 4, 5 and 6.

Kinda of agree - first 4 picks s/b OL and WR. RB and TE can wait, let's see what Herdon can do and I still think a RB without an OL is useless. Agree defense can wait until day three with another IOL thrown in there.