Sam speaks about trade for first time

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's a top 5 wr in yardage with 4.3 speed and the Jets home grew him 

It was a mistake and JD admitted as much in public 

Venial sin, not a mortal sin.

Time to move on. Would take Davis or Mims over Robbie.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Sam is a great person.  Was steady throughout his tumultuous time here.  I'm sure we'll always follow his career but let's try to not to be obsessed with it.  I am turning the page to the future.  Really with the entire Jets past.  Let's look ahead with hopeful optimism.  The team has never felt more different from top down and this is actually a really exciting time to be a fan of this team.

This is a good response.  Good kid and I wish him well but it’s good that both sides can turn the page on a new chapter 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I think this analysis was simpler than we think:

• Sam has good QB and physical skills and based on his overall college performance was worth a top 5 draft pick.
  • The Jets completely under-supported him in talent for 3 years (plus the preparation for his arrival) and in coaching, particularly last two years.
  • The two of the three guys the Jets hired to lead their team (Mac, Bowles and Gase) will likely not work in the NFL again-that is how bad they were.
  • But since the Jets were so bad, they get to draft a QB top 2, and given who is available, and the rookie contract, it is worth it for them to reboot.  If they were drafting 4th or below it may not be worth it.  So the trade was smart for both the Jets and Carolina. 
  • To me, Wilson has superior trained QB skills/muscle memory, which makes sense given how Wilson was brought up as compared to Darnold.
  • The knock on Wilson is size and frame-1 inch shorter and 15 Lbs lighter than Darnold.  Its not like Darnold was ironman though-he got hurt plenty.   It does seems like Wilson is a gym rat, and his physical testing is pretty good.  Jimmy G has not been healthy either, and he is bigger than Wilson and about the same size as Darnold.

So I think both teams win here.  The Jets need to scheme a way to keep Wilson upright and not running around.  And have a good backup.  I think the future involves pulling starters more when you are ahead and not risking garbage time losses.

Bowles will likely be a head coach again, maybe even next yr... or he could be Arians successor..

Watched the presser, as we all know by now Sam is a good dude. I’m rarely vested in players not on the Jets, especially former players. But can’t stress how much I’ll be rooting for Sam. He said all the right things in that presser. I do think Sam was the right guy at the wrong time. Time will tell, but I hope he does well in Carolina. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

More of the same Sam is a good kid  pablum.  In the future?  Give my a bunch of nasty scumbags who know how to play the game and win.   Players who even with abysmal coaching and no discernible weapons somehow function at a high level, winning games with their formidable talent.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

He's a good kid, the Jets had to move on but his honesty is refreshing. He really wanted to be here but it just didn't work out.

Blame is on CJ for hiring Gase. Still baffles me that you have a young QB and no QB coach. The young QB gets his own offseason QB coach and the head coach doesn't have a single conversation with that guy.

Think about this, Darnold lived with Palmer and worked out through quarantine. Not a single word, update, suggestion or feedback from the offensive minded head coach.  

That is as terrible as his coked out press conference.

WOW. When you read that it really makes zero sense. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

More of the same Sam is a good kid  pablum.  In the future?  Give my a bunch of nasty scumbags who know how to play the game and win.   Players who even with abysmal coaching and no discernible weapons somehow function at a high level, winning games with their formidable talent.

The NY Jets don't sign or draft the nasty players many here want choir boys. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Top 5 in yards in what universe? He's good, but not elite. In other words, easily replaceable.

Robby had over 1000 yards for 19 overall. Corey Davis had 900 something. Crowder was in the 600s and perriman in the 500s

Easily replaceable and they haven't really replaced him 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

The panthers see exercising the 5th year option as a low cost bet 

The Jets see that as a terrible, onerous expense and have to reset the qb clock for financial reasons 

I get that Sam needs a new start (with his old favorite receiver and an old Gailey system) but 

That's the difference between a franchise that tries and one that just keeps the lights on. David Tepper is the wealthiest owner in football. Woody opens up the check book once a year and moths fly out 

That's the difference between a team drafting 8th and a team drafting 2nd.   The Panthers are out of the QB sweepstakes this year so they elected for a cheap option.   Keeping Sam and drafting Wilson would be a dumb waste of resources.

Carolina isn't exactly the franchise we should model after.  They went 5 and 11 last year, gave a boatload of money to TB and Robbie both of whom dissapeared in the second half of the season.  

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Its really strange.  Sanchez was nice, pennington was nice , Leo Williams was a nice guy etc.  This 'Good Guy' narrative for Darnold is the strangest thing Ive seen around the board in a long time.  

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Robby had over 1000 yards for 19 overall. Corey Davis had 900 something. Crowder was in the 600s and perriman in the 500s

Easily replaceable and they haven't really replaced him 

Robby completely disapeared down the stretch last year.  He had bad numbers in YPC and YPA and didn't get into the end zone.  He's on a 1 year deal now.  He's got a lot of incentive to actually play like a difference maker this year.  I suspect we can replace Robby with Robby in 2022 for half the cost that Carolina signed him for if we want him in 2022. 

Of course that would fit into your mantra as the Jets are cheap. :)

• Upvote 1