Sam speaks about trade for first time

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Success" is a relative term.  No matter how bad his circumstances, Darnold should have been a lot better than QB # 36 last season.

Justin Herbert had the # 32 ranked OL and a HC that ended up getting fired.  He put up Offensive ROY numbers.

Did I expect Darnold to produce like Herbert to be called "successful" his final year here?  No.  Top 20 QB numbers?  Absolutely.  He failed.  Miserably.  And in the exact same circumstances, a statue like Joe Flacco still found success in this offense, behind a bad OL.  That tells me Darnold has no grasp of making pre-snap reads, even in year 3 as a pro.  

I respect your opinion.  I think you make some fair points.  At the end of the day he still needs to prove himself but he was put in as bad of a situation as you can be in.  I’m not saying he is all of a sudden going to be lights out but I think he is a question mark right now.  Personally I do think he can succeed but we shall see 

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I can't wait to hear the next level of excuses for his play when Darnold continues his NFL QB implosion tour in Carolina.

"They don't have any receivers.  Their best guy other than McCaffrey is Robby Anderson!  How could he expect to have success with such a bad WR corps?"

"I guess Matt Rhule really is garbage after all the hype from that hiring.  He's out of his element in the NFL."

• Haha 3

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

"Success" is a relative term.  No matter how bad his circumstances, Darnold should have been a lot better than QB # 36 last season.

Justin Herbert had the # 32 ranked OL and a HC that ended up getting fired.  He put up Offensive ROY numbers.

Did I expect Darnold to produce like Herbert to be called "successful" his final year here?  No.  Top 20 QB numbers?  Absolutely.  He failed.  Miserably.  And in the exact same circumstances, a statue like Joe Flacco still found success in this offense, behind a bad OL.  That tells me Darnold has no grasp of making pre-snap reads, even in year 3 as a pro.  

So well put, 80.   The Herbert analogy is what I think about, too.  

SD sucked.  But you could see a star--or at least a quality NFL-ready QB--in Herbert's play.  That kid was slinging the ball over the field and was not afraid to pitch the ball onto tight windows. Other than a couple plays here and there the last three years, I never got that magic from Darnold.  At least not consistently.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I respect your opinion.  I think you make some fair points.  At the end of the day he still needs to prove himself but he was put in as bad of a situation as you can be in.  I’m not saying he is all of a sudden going to be lights out but I think he is a question mark right now.  Personally I do think he can succeed but we shall see 

If he's a question mark after 3 years, he's not a guy who can have success in this league.  You have to have little doubt in a guy entering Year 4.  There's nothing but doubts. 

Barring a historically unprecedented career turnaround like Josh Allen had (and his happened in Year 3, not Year 4), it's never going to happen for him.  And he doesn't have the "succeed at all costs" mentality, or the athleticism, that Josh Allen possessed.  Darnold doesn't care that much about football, nor does he have the physical gifts or "fixable" problems, for that to be the case for him.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

If he's a question mark after 3 years, he's not a guy who can have success in this league.  You have to have little doubt in a guy entering Year 4.  There's nothing but doubts. 

Barring a historically unprecedented career turnaround like Josh Allen had (and his happened in Year 3, not Year 4), it's never going to happen for him.  And he doesn't have the "succeed at all costs" mentality, or the athleticism, that Josh Allen possessed.  Darnold doesn't care that much about football, nor does he have the physical gifts or "fixable" problems, for that to be the case for him.  

I guess we shall see 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, genot said:

The only suckers are the ones who read your posts, with the expectation something intelligent might be said.

Sorry  Mr Darnold , didn’t mean to rip your son for his horrendous play the last three years.  I believe Bill Parcells once said you’re what the back of your football card says you’re.   He*’s garbage.

• Upvote 1

The only suckers are the ones who read your posts, with the expectation something intelligent might be said.

Sorry  Mr Darnold , didn’t mean to rip your son for his horrendous play the last three years.  I believe Bill Parcells once said you’re what the back of your football card says you’re.   He*’s garbage.

Sorry  Mr Darnold , didn’t mean to rip your son for his horrendous play the last three years.  I believe Bill Parcells once said you’re what the back of your football card says you’re.   He’s garbage.

My guess is because some people have seen this song and dance before. We draft a qb ignore pieces around him and hand him terrible coaching then we clean house and repeat. The Jets will continue to do this until they get it right but it has been so long now since we were viable that we have to believe they will get it wrong again until proven differently.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, I'm sure Rhule will finally be the one to tell Darnold not to throw off his back foot into triple coverage.  How did Bowles, Bates, Gase, and Darnold's USC coaches miss that?

I'd ask Darnold's HS coach to speak to that except Darnold didn't play QB in High School.  Oops.   Guess Maccagnan should have thought about that before drafting him # 3.

Well the fact that neither Bowles or Gase didn't hire a position coach its actually very possible that they did.  Bad habits are created out of seeming necessity or laziness. If no one is there to correct it this is what happens.   Come on with this stuff already. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  Look Sam has his issues he needs to work out otherwise he won’t have a future as a starter BUT like you said for the past 3 years he has had one of the worst olines, supporting cast, and easily the worst coaching.  I don’t care how good of a young  QB you are you still need help to have success.  The Chiefs are loaded with talent and a great coaching staff, same with the Bills

Exactly man.  I'm not even a Sam apologist. But I do fancy myself a realist. It's not one thing or the other.  It's a combination and to blame the youngest QB to ever start an NFL Game for his misgivings is absurd.   Each side of this one is just as bad as the other imo. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

Sam said "Um" about 400 times during that presser.  Also "You know" about 399 times. Also, when asked about what he needs to improve on, he said he needed to "look at tape".  This is going to be a carbon copy of what happened with the Jets.  That's all I got to say about that.

Backup by the middle of next season or sooner.  Out of the NFL in two/three years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Well the fact that neither Bowles or Gase didn't hire a position coach its actually very possible that they did.  Bad habits are created out of seeming necessity or laziness. If no one is there to correct it this is what happens.   Come on with this stuff already. 

Darnold's flaws had to do with not knowing many of the basics of playing QB.  Having zero High School starts at QB and only 27 collegiate starts prior to entering the pros had a lot to do with that.  You don't fix that at the pro level.  You either have it or you don't.  It's like throwing a kid into a college calculus course when he hadn't even mastered basic algebra. 

Knowing what we know now, Darnold should have been a mid-round QB.  Not a top 5 pick.  He's still a project QB 3 years later and its easy to see why that ended up being the case.  Mike Maccagnan and a lot of "experts", analysts, and coaches got duped.  It happens.  In Macc's case, it happened a lot.

52 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

Sam said "Um" about 400 times during that presser.  Also "You know" about 399 times. Also, when asked about what he needs to improve on, he said he needed to "look at tape".  This is going to be a carbon copy of what happened with the Jets.  That's all I have to say about that.

27 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Backup by the middle of next season or sooner.  Out of the NFL in two/three years.

Yup.  I'm pretty sure Darnold is still in that "I don't know what I don't know" phase of his career.  And unless you have Brett Favre's natural ability (he doesn't, and never will), you can't survive on that in this league. 

Nothing Darnold does is "special", so until he learns all the technical details of playing the position, he'll never succeed.  He's too slow of a processor out there, so he has to have a maniacal work ethic to overcome it.  He simply doesn't have that, OR the God-given ability.  That makes him a career backup, who will only get multiple chances because of where he was drafted.  Just like Mark Sanchez.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Exactly man.  I'm not even a Sam apologist. But I do fancy myself a realist. It's not one thing or the other.  It's a combination and to blame the youngest QB to ever start an NFL Game for his misgivings is absurd.   Each side of this one is just as bad as the other imo. 

Absolutely.  Even though I’ve always been a believer in him I have no idea how he will ultimately turn out.  He could very well fall flat on his face which means our second rounder we got will be a high one which I would be upset at ?.  But like you have said he is going into a situation that is ten times better than what he has been in here so that’s why I still believe he can be a good qb

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We?

You are a smart prick. You're one of the few I don't argue with cause you're smarter than me spelling errors aside(mine). I got a perfect SAT on math and like a 130 IQ. I know I'm functionally retarded cause my brain is mush. Did I say "we" too many times or was my point wrong? 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold's flaws had to do with not knowing many of the basics of playing QB.  Having zero High School starts at QB and only 27 collegiate starts prior to entering the pros had a lot to do with that.  You don't fix that at the pro level.  You either have it or you don't.  It's like throwing a kid into a college calculus course when he hadn't even mastered basic algebra. 

Knowing what we know now, Darnold should have been a mid-round QB.  Not a top 5 pick.  He's still a project QB 3 years later and its easy to see why that ended up being the case.  Mike Maccagnan and a lot of "experts", analysts, and coaches got duped.  It happens.  In Macc's case, it happened a lot.

He was the youngest QB to start an NFL Game of all time. No coaches.  Was he supposed to just come in here and develop himself? Carry the tortured franchise on his own?  Actually, yes. And that's the perfect storm for bad mechanics and habits. 

I'm not even on the defend sam at all coasts side of things, but remaining realistic is pretty key when trying to evaluate a situation like this one man. 

He had enough to warrant being the consensus best QB in a draft class. If it wasn't for the elephantitus of the nuts that Dorsey had he would have been the first overall pick. That's enough to get ya in the league. The next part for a 20 yr old was to be developed. That didn't happen in the slightest. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/12/2021 at 5:04 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Only good NFL QBs are capable QBCs. OK, since when has this been reality?

Andy Reid worked relentlessly with Mahomes. Surely we all remember that year when Reid threw 45 TDs. Or am I thinking of an afternoon when he hate 45 hamburgers?

Jordan been working with sam for 3 years  he has regressed every year, I didnt say you had to be a good quarterback  to coach but when somethings not working you have to change some things. Obviously missed the point. Sperm on your brain..

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

He was the youngest QB to start an NFL Game of all time. No coaches.  Was he supposed to just come in here and develop himself? Carry the tortured franchise on his own?  Actually, yes. And that's the perfect storm for bad mechanics and habits. 

I'm not even on the defend sam at all coasts side of things, but remaining realistic is pretty key when trying to evaluate a situation like this one man. 

He had enough to warrant being the consensus best QB in a draft class. If it wasn't for the elephantitus of the nuts that Dorsey had he would have been the first overall pick. That's enough to get ya in the league. The next part for a 20 yr old was to be developed. That didn't happen in the slightest. 

He was the youngest QB to start an NFL game because he was taken in the top 5.  Whoever was taking him wouldn't have had a better option at QB and like going to start him right away or close to it.  We wouldn't have been alone in that.  That's not a reason to put all or most of the blame on the coaches.  That falls on the front office for picking a QB like that in the first place.  Darnold needed another year of college experience and even then would still have been a project.  Is it Darnold's fault he left too early?  No, I would have done the same if I was guaranteed to get top 5 pick money.  But it IS a reason for a GM to pass on the kid.  

"Consensus" best QB in the class and the Browns passed on him for Mayfield, largely because the analytics liked him.  And why did they like him?  Why is he looking like a decent QB?  Not because of coaching, that's for sure.  He was saddled with Hue Jackson his first year.  Yet he still had a very good rookie season.  The talent around him is nice, so that's definitely helped.  But his bevy of collegiate experience and solid college career numbers and skillset suggested he'd be pretty good.  And that's exactly what he is:  A pretty good QB. 

"QB development" is so ridiculously overrated.  It only matters for pretty good QB's who you want to help tweak and improve their skills.  It doesn't take bad QB's and turn them into good ones.  Even in the instance of Josh Allen, it was his athleticism and maniacal work ethic to get better that did far more than any coach could have done.  Those were internal variables at work, not external.  There are aspects of bad QB's that can never be taught, and Darnold has pretty much all of those red flags that were present from his collegiate days, even when he had very good coaching and talent.  He had 13 INT's and 11 fumbles his final year in school.  That's a big deal, and should have been a reason to pass on him!  It's up to front offices and scouting departments to figure out which red flags matter and which don't.  Our GM was Mike Maccagnan, the same guy who drafted Christian Hackenberg.  Why in the world is it so surprising he drafted yet another dud?

34 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Jordan been working with sam for 3 years  he has regressed every year, I didnt say you had to be a good quarterback  to coach but when somethings not working you have to change some things. Obviously missed the point. Sperm on your brain..

Jordan Palmer also worked with Josh Allen.  Where was the regression there?

He didn't miss your point.  He poked giant holes in it.  

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jordan Palmer also worked with Josh Allen.  Where was the regression there?

He didn't miss your point.  He poked giant holes in 

So you credit mahomes, Allen, Watson career to Jordan palmer? You can't see the difference in mechanics between Allen and darnold? Something Palmer shouldve adjusted for darnold but failed to do Also the coaching staff and weapons for both quarterbacks are not even comparable, appreciate your 2 cents though

I find it hard to have any ill will towards Sam. Make no mistake, he's been exactly what I thought and feared he'd be, inaccurate, turnovers, ineffective.  Clearly low talent level played a part, but even absent that, on plays he was responsible for, he showed that lack of decision making, accuracy and penchant for throwing it to defenders chests.

Still, he seems like a good kid, who always said the right things, always tried to lead, he's just not been very good so far.

Since Carolina isn't in the AFC East (or the AFC at all), I'm ok with wishing him good luck down there.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

So you credit mahomes, Allen, Watson career to Jordan palmer? You can't see the difference in mechanics between Allen and darnold? Something Palmer shouldve adjusted for darnold but failed to do Also the coaching staff and weapons for both quarterbacks are not even comparable, appreciate your 2 cents though

lol.  So Palmer only gets criticism for his supposed "failure" but not his success?  Nice consistency.

I don't give Palmer much credit for Mahomes, Allen or Watson, but I also don't blame him for Darnold.  Palmer is there to help provide some tweaks.  Not fix bad QB's or becoming a good QB's entire success story.  We read countless articles during Mark Sanchez's career about all the "gurus" and side coaches he worked with to try to get better.  It didn't help.  

You maniacs are constantly moving the goal-posts, and put entirely too much blame on coaches when a QB sucks.  Coaching matters.  Just not nearly as much as you'd like to believe.  These are professional QB's we're talking about.  Ability and improvement are internal things when you get to this level.  The time for significant growth and improvement came much earlier in these guys' careers, at the youth and High School levels.  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Justin Herbert had the # 32 ranked OL and a HC that ended up getting fired.  He put up Offensive ROY numbers anyways.  Better weapons?  You bet.  But there was such a massive gap between Herbert and Darnold that it was like they were playing a different sport.  Darnold would not have come close to Herbert numbers even if he and Herbert switched places.

Did I expect Darnold to produce like Herbert to be called "successful" his final year here?  No.  Top 20 QB numbers?  Absolutely.  He failed.  Miserably.  And in the exact same circumstances, a statue like Joe Flacco still found success in this offense, behind a bad OL.  That tells me Darnold has no grasp of making pre-snap reads, even in year 3 as a pro.  Flacco's success throwing to Mims and Perriman compared to Darnold with those 2 receivers also demonstrated just how bad Darnold is on deep ball accuracy.  

lol herbert had k allen willliams hernry eckler   sam had no rbs no tight ends and bad wrs

the massive gap was what surrounded the qbs as far as weapons

lol where is this success you talk about with mims -zero tds all year never more then 5 catches no hundred yard games-what exactly did Joe get out of mims ?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, kmnj said:

lol herbert had k allen willliams hernry eckler   sam had no rbs no tight ends and bad wrs

lol where is this success you talk about with mims -zero tds all year never more then 5 catches no hundred yard games-what exactly did Joe get out of mims ?

He just shoots from the hip with hope sh*t sticks, usually contradicts himself in his own post 

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

59 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

He just shoots from the hip with hope sh*t sticks, usually contradicts himself in his own post 

So wepppinz was the only thing keeping Darnold from having a 31 TD/10 INT season just like Herbert?  OK then.

Nevermind that Herbert was a rookie playing behind the # 32 ranked OL and a HC that ended up getting fired.  And never mind that, yes, indeed, Mims and Perriman looked like very competent NFL WR's with Flacco under center but somehow couldn't produce d*ck with Darnold back there.  None of that matters.  Only Sweet Sammy's circumstances were unplayable.  No one else's.  

It's like you fools don't watch any other QB's.  Just poor, sweet Sammy.  

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1