If you had to bet your life savings...

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree, but I'm still worried about the talent.

Again, as of right now - we've added a #2 WR to the offense.  That's it.  It's the least talented offense in the NFL plus a #2WR - which may very well still be the least talented offense in the NFL

I'm just not sure how much we can really expect of him under these circumstances.  Hopefully the talent changes.

Mims is going to explode this year.  They will address oline, rb and tight end in the draft.  This offense will be talented come opening day.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mims is going to explode this year.  They will address oline, rb and tight end in the draft.  This offense will be talented come opening day.

I hope you're right about both....

I'm a bit more concerned about Mims than most but he showed good hands, big catch radius...he just looked stiff, like his playing speed was just slow.  Hopefully that's just because of lack of reps - no pre-season and injuries kept him from getting comfortable in the offense.

If they take offense at 23, 34 and 66 - I will have complete faith in both JD and ZW to have a very good rookie season.

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Again, as of right now - we've added a #2 WR to the offense. 

And a potential number one WR.  And a RB.  And a blocking TE.  And OL depth.  And resigned one of our OL.  And one of our RB's.

Just thought I would update what we actually did this off-season.  By the end of the draft, we should have a starting QB, a new guard, possibly a new centre, and possibly a another WR, TE, and RB.  

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Darnold was far and away the consensus pick here....Almost no one had any issues with that choice.

There are far too many people dug into calling Wilson a bust - for such a highly rated player - for whatever reason fans here decided simply just to not like him.

Like it or not, a good portion of the people on this board will be rooting for him to fail...and will attack him at any opportunity they can.

It's sad really and I feel bad for the kid.  I hope he can learn to turn this stuff off.  Sam was given every opportunity to fail by this fan base

ZW will get very little.

I think  the vast majority of folks are behind him or will jump behind him if we pick him.  It's just that those who don't like the guy are particularly passionate and relentless -- so much so that they will probably be rooting for him to fail just to prove themselves right.  It will be interesting to see what happens if he comes out of the gates strong, like Pennington did a million years ago, whether they will still be jumping down his throat. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Just thought I would update what we actually did this off-season.  By the end of the draft, we should have a starting QB, a new guard, possibly a new centre, and possibly a another WR, TE, and RB.  

We need good players.  Adding back-ups that you're pointing to is why we had the worst offense in the league. 

Other teams back-ups aren't going to help us win - we added a starting WR - ONE.  That's it, otherwise it's back-ups.

I swear I went through this all last off-season - you guys all kept getting excited about all the pieces JD was adding, but he was adding back-ups from other teams.

New is not necessarily better - it's just new.

3 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Who has a better year in 2022:

Zach Wilson with the Jets in LaFleur's offense

Or

Sam Darnold with the Panthers in Joe Brady's offense

*In my opinion if it's a draw then that's a win for the Jets since Wilson is younger and he saves tons of cap space.

Trevor Lawrence will have a better year than both.    Remember Trevor Lawrence ??? The generational QB prospect that the Johnson & co. got hoodwinked into losing out on ??? 

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Again, as of right now - we've added a #2 WR to the offense.  That's it.  It's the least talented offense in the NFL plus a #2WR - which may very well still be the least talented offense in the NFL

I'm just not sure how much we can really expect of him under these circumstances.  Hopefully the talent changes.

I'm inclined to agree.  Tough to count on someone who we've just drafted to contribute much on offense, but maybe we can draft  a plug and play IOL and an RB or WR who can take some of the pressure off.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I think  the vast majority of folks are behind him or will jump behind him if we pick him.  It's just that those who don't like the guy are particularly passionate and relentless -- so much so that they will probably be rooting for him to fail just to prove themselves right.  It will be interesting to see what happens if he comes out of the gates strong, like Pennington did a million years ago, whether they will still be jumping down his throat. 

I hope you're right that it's just a small vocal minority that is really driving the absurd dislike and that most get fully behind him.

I think it'll be tough for him to come out looking good simply because the talent level is still really bad.  I hope JD can still upgrade the roster so it's not awful.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

I'm inclined to agree.  Tough to count on someone who we've just drafted to contribute much on offense, but maybe we can draft  a plug and play IOL and an RB or WR who can take some of the pressure off.

Yeah.  Agreed.

If we go IOL, WR, RB at 23, 34, 66 (in any order) I will feel much better about what we're asking Zach to step into.

• Upvote 1

It's genuinely a great question. I would not be at all shocked by a wide variety of outcomes for both players.

It's absolutely possible that Sam plays really well in a much better offensive scheme with significantly better coaching and some good playmakers, most notably McCaffery. It's also possible the issues that have plagued him here continue to plague him, and despite having an improved statistical year he still turns the ball over a lot and is wildly inconsistent.

I really think Wilson has an even wider range of outcomes. I would not at all be surprised if he struggled mightily as many rookies do although I honestly don't expect that. I would also not be shocked if he came in and played efficiently right away.

My guess -- Darnold has pretty comfortably his best statistical year despite still turning the ball over an a reasonably high rate. Wilson comes in and plays pretty well from the jump. They have statistically similar seasons with a passer ratings in the low 90s.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We need good players.  Adding back-ups that you're pointing to is why we had the worst offense in the league. 

Other teams back-ups aren't going to help us win - we added a starting WR - ONE.  That's it, otherwise it's back-ups.

I swear I went through this all last off-season - you guys all kept getting excited about all the pieces JD was adding, but he was adding back-ups from other teams.

New is not necessarily better - it's just new.

Yes the entire Jets team sucks, and the Jets downgraded even more if they replace Darnold with Wilson.

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

From experience I can tell you to bet on the Jets in any capacity is absolute foolishness 

My life savings would be on the panthers because at least that team tries to win. The jets just keep the lights on 

I probably wouldn't bet on the Jets either (yet) but if you sincerely believe that Saleh just intends to "keep the lights on" I don't think you're paying attention.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I probably wouldn't bet on the Jets either (yet) but if you sincerely believe that Saleh just intends to "keep the lights on" I don't think you're paying attention.

I like Saleh. But it's difficult for a franchise that has played 3-4 for decades to just switch to the 4-3. 

The problem is bigger than the coaching, although that was a huge huge problem. Jd needs to hit on these dang picks 

• Sympathy 1

Hmm. I will root for Sam but there is a reason other than all the excuses for why he was the worst QB in the NFL.  I am not sure Sam will be any better than Bridgewater. Say what you want about OL, coaching and weapons his performance was pretty flat. I think he might just be what he is and he will still struggle.

I think Wilson is the type of QB that might be better in the NFL: than college., because of having better talent around him and his traits just transfer so well to the NFL

I think in the end rookie Wilson is better than Sam.

I like Saleh. But it's difficult for a franchise that has played 3-4 for decades to just switch to the 4-3. 
The problem is bigger than the coaching, although that was a huge huge problem. Jd needs to hit on these dang picks 

Which is why ... I hate to say it .. drafting DL or LB would make some sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

From experience I can tell you to bet on the Jets in any capacity is absolute foolishness 

My life savings would be on the panthers because at least that team tries to win. The jets just keep the lights on 

So you think hiring JD, then hiring Saleh, letting him put together what appears to be a very deep and professional coaching staff, loading up on cap space and draft picks is "keeping the lights on"?

Lol.  

Sweet Sammy isn't going to turn into a Top 15 QB all of a sudden, so it doesn't matter if hes marginally better than a rookie while having a better supporting cast. It might be worse since he will be up to get paid soon thereafter.

Immanuel Kant has this idea of categorical imperative. Meaning, it's one thing to root for an outcome, to hope for it, but it's quite another to bet your life savings on it, as OP proposes. All of a sudden critical thinking gets called into the scene 

It's why I ask for charity bets. Because it's free to talk crap. Or as kant says 

"The usual touchstone, whether that which someone asserts is merely his persuasion — or at least his subjective conviction, that is, his firm belief — is betting. It often happens that someone propounds his views with such positive and uncompromising assurance that he seems to have entirely set aside all thought of possible error. A bet disconcerts him. Sometimes it turns out that he has a conviction which can be estimated at a value of one ducat, but not of ten. For he is very willing to venture one ducat, but when it is a question of ten he becomes aware, as he had not previously been, that it may very well be that he is in error. If, in a given case, we represent ourselves as staking the happiness of our whole life, the triumphant tone of our judgment is greatly abated; we become extremely diffident, and discover for the first time that our belief does not reach so far. Thus pragmatic belief always exists in some specific degree, which, according to differences in the interests at stake, may be large or may be small."

Aka Kants Bet 

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Which is why ... I hate to say it .. drafting DL or LB would make some sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Agreed. The edge and olb value line up better at 23 than the iol/rt value 

Side note if cj mosely had a reasonable contract he'd be traded already. He's played 3-4 his whole life including Bama. Jarrad Davis only game experience is at Mike. People are projecting mosely at Mike and Davis at Sam but let's see if mosely makes it through the draft without being traded. A perfect j&j way to use the rest of the cap space.

They need a dynamic Sam and also a will and Sam especially are tough to find 

Oh yeah and they also need an edge across from Lawson. Even jd can't be delusional enough to believe Zuniga is the answer 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Like it or not, a good portion of the people on this board will be rooting for him to fail...

I don't think it's a good portion, rather a very very vocal minority.

But there is at least one dude here who is not only hoping for him to fail but for him to get injured really badly.  Specifically a shoulder injury.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Agreed. The edge and olb value line up better at 23 than the iol/rt value 

Side note if cj mosely had a reasonable contract he'd be traded already. He's played 3-4 his whole life including Bama. Jarrad Davis only game experience is at Mike. People are projecting mosely at Mike and Davis at Sam but let's see if mosely makes it through the draft without being traded. A perfect way to use the rest of the cap space by the way.

They need a dynamic Sam and also a will and Sam especially are tough to find 

Zaven Collins at #23. Best LB in draft.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sam will look better as he’ll have a better roster but ZW will flash like Darnold never did.  

Sam flashes. Flashing is worthless though. People on here have lived on his flashes for 3 years without understanding that consistency is more important.

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

But there is at least one dude here who is not only hoping for him to fail but for him to get injured really badly.  Specifically a shoulder injury.  

Yeah, he's completely dug into that position.  Every time Zach gets hit - he's going to holding his breath hoping he stays down.  It really is sad.

26 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes the entire Jets team sucks, and the Jets downgraded even more if they replace Darnold with Wilson.

They've gotten better by adding a quality WR.  That's a good thing.  I was VERY happy to see that and am excited for him and Mims - big, fast targets...

But they didn't do much of anything else.  I'm just stating a fact.  This was the worst OL in the league and they haven't upgraded it.

I want the team to be better, I'm hoping they do more.  As of right now it's not a lot better - it's one player better.

Why is that so bad that I'm pointing that out?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

For the record I make these terribly negative statements hoping the Jets prove me wrong. I bet against the team, hoping to buy the win.

It hasn't happened for a while. 

When I used to root for the team, Homer bit, that guy was wrong on a weekly basis 

I think you're talking about someone else but nonetheless, 

A Jets fan can be optimistic or accurate but he can't be both 

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Sam flashes. Flashing is worthless though. People on here have lived on his flashes for 3 years without understanding that consistency is more important.

I think your misunderstanding the way I used Flash (my fault, I probably used the wrong word)

What I meant was seeing a FQB, someone you can see has the skill-set, tools and composure to be a FQB.  Someone you watch play and it's clear he's a keeper.  Flash meaning - he won't be like that all game or every game...but it's there and you'll know it.  Can't describe it exactly but you'll know it when you see it.

I only got that sense from Sam in one game in three years - the Packers game - otherwise he looked uncomfortable and clunky.. Yes, Sam "flashed" on some plays here or there but that's not what I meant.

• Upvote 1