My thoughts on the Jets draft

Maxman

2 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

It's a 53 man roster.  And it needs to have some balance to it.  And our new HC NYJ comes from the defensive side.  Ya gotta throw him some bones on defense in this upcoming draft.

I've been drafting in my mock simulations at least one each of  CB-Edge-LB.  Then maybe go BPA for an additional CB as best I can.  Like this one I just now finished and will post in the draft section... 

image.png

Are you aware that Jaelan Phillips had to retire from college football after suffering multiple concussions?

36 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

I'm not going to freak out with any player we draft, we should take the best player available to us except defensive tackle or a safety. I believe Joe thinks highly of our o line as is but will pick players to improve it, our wide receivers have improved greatly with the addition of the two free agents and if we select one early it may mean the end of crowder for cap purpose so that will not be beneficial Thai year, our pass rush is looking good with curry and Lawson added to it. We have arguably the worst corner back group in the NFL right now and our line backers need a lot of work. 

This is what Mac did. He picked Sam and then "BPA" picking defense 3 of 4 picks. Our OL is so bad we just cannot afford to do BAP. We can address corner next year if needed. We need to draft BPA OFFENSE only until like the 5th round with at least 2 OL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, adobolo2 said:

How is it failing him by giving him a good team on both sides of the ball, last year we were blown out game after game and Sam was trying and failing to make things happen, when the defense eventually showed up against the Rams Sam played a steady and decent game where he was productive and we won. 

Apparently the opposite of failing a young QB is to put 4 other rookie starters on his side of the ball lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Are you aware that Jaelan Phillips had to retire from college football after suffering multiple concussions?

Yes...this will be based on JD feeling comfortable about his medicals.  IMO he's going to be a monster in Saleh's D...if JD approves Phillips fit to draft

In the end...it's just my hopes being expressed in a mock simulation

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

This is what Mac did. He picked Sam and then "BPA" picking defense 3 of 4 picks. Our OL is so bad we just cannot afford to do BAP. We can address corner next year if needed. We need to draft BPA OFFENSE only until like the 5th round with at least 2 OL

Reaching for players just to fill a need is definitely not the answer, the Titans tought us that last year. In a perfect draft if Joe wants an o line at #23 and #34 but none are rated that high on his board then trade back but that's not always possible so you pick a phillips/farley/newsome or who ever he feels is the best player available to the jets to make us a better team.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Hell everyone else does it so I might as well.

#2 overall. Zach Wilson. This isn't even close imo. The coaching staff has the perfect system for him. The receivers are big and his down field accuracy will come in handy with receivers like this. They are going to stretch the field a bit.

#23 -  think this pick is going to get traded.  Maybe they love a player here but I see Douglas turning this pick into two players.

Other than that get a Guard and Cornerback in here with the next two picks and let's have some fun!

Personally I love the thought of Travis Ettiene at 23. But I don't see them doing it. Running backs seem to be more plug and play in this system. But i'd be fore Travis, he is explosive and can catch as well. Would be a great weapon for a rookie QB to have.

this belongs in the draft forum 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Apparently the opposite of failing a young QB is to put 4 other rookie starters on his side of the ball lol

Of course I want a new premium starter on the o line but the tought of adding 2 or 3 rookies to the line as some are suggesting is scary stuff. 

We have brought in John Benton who has a proven track record as an offensive line coach and I expect a massive improvement from the current crop of o line players we have especially with hopefully a full season of becton.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

I understand why people want noting but offence with our premium picks but on the flip side of that if our defence is terrible we are playing from behind every week and putting our rookie QB in a situation where he has to force balls to make things happen and obvious passing situations, we don't want that to happen early in his carrier.

Yeah, but we don't want the QB shell shocked year one from being rocked every third play. If I had to choose between the two I'd prefer he played from behind rather than suffering injuries and seeing ghosts during year one in particular. Playing from behind doesn't leave a lasting impression like injuries and ptsd.  

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, but we don't want the QB shell shocked year one from being rocked every third play. If I had to choose between the two I'd prefer he played from behind rather than suffering injuries and seeing ghosts. Playing from behind doesn't leave a lasting impression like injuries and ptsd.  

If "sure, instant fix" is what the team was after, and they perceived it lacking, then its GM doesn't head into the draft with this OL and proceed to draft two OLmen to start as rookies to block for a rookie QB.

You guys are setting yourselves up for a major disappointment if you think the odds of this happening are even 1 in 10. Just saying prepare yourselves.

It's 10x more likely the team drafts zero OLmen by pick 34, and first address the OL in this year's draft in round 3, than it is to draft two of them at 23 + 34.

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, but we don't want the QB shell shocked year one from being rocked every third play. If I had to choose between the two I'd prefer he played from behind rather than suffering injuries and seeing ghosts during year one in particular. Playing from behind doesn't leave a lasting impression like injuries and ptsd.  

That's fair but I don't think our o line is as bad as people think, it does need another premium draft pick at #23 or #34 but last year we put 4 new players on the line who had no time to gel because of the lack of pre season and then it seemed like one injury after another. 

We have a new line coach and blocking scheme and I expect massive improvement for the current crop of players we currently have this year.

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

You forgot a cornerback 

To play zone? Man corners go high. This scheme is about getting pressure up front with four. That’s your premium position. This isn’t Rex and Bowles putting corners on an island. Corner can wait.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If "sure, instant fix" is what the team was after, and they perceived it lacking, then its GM doesn't head into the draft with this OL and proceed to draft two OLmen to start as rookies to block for a rookie QB.

You guys are setting yourselves up for a major disappointment if you think the odds of this happening are even 1 in 10. Just saying prepare yourselves.

It's 10x more likely the team drafts zero OLmen by pick 34, and first address the OL in this year's draft in round 3, than it is to draft two of them at 23 + 34.

Depends on what's available on the market. It's quite possible that they don't draft an o-lineman until round 3. My preference is offense in general early in the draft. I understand that if a talented CB for instance falls to them at 23 they may go that way. I have no problem waiting for the draft and post draft FA to cast premature judgement on how it went. However, God, Allah, ET, or whomever help the Jets if they pick a SS at 23.  

There are many factors that will affect the pick at #23.  I think picks #23, 34 and 66 will be filled with a CB, IOL and possibly an Edge. IOL and CB were virtually ignored in free agency and Douglas needs to find a starter at each of those spots.  Relying on Hall and Bless to start is a very Mac-like move and I don’t think Douglas will risk it.

• Where does Douglas rank the tier 2 CB?  Will he be satisfied to take Eric Stokes, Kelvin Joseph or Melifonu at #34 to start as CB2?
  • If Jaycee Horn falls to #23 it’s game over and Douglas takes him.  He likely won’t however.
  • Unless a guy like Ojulari falls to #23 and Horn is not there, I think Douglas will wait until 66 (or 86) to take an Edge like Basham or Ronnie Perkins.
  • If Douglas doesn’t draft an IOL at #23 there are several guys who will be there at #34 (i.e., Leatherwood, Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith, Sam Cosmi), all of whom could start at RG.
  • In all likelihood Douglas could have a choice between Alijah Vera-Tucker, Greg Newsome and Tevin Jenkins.  That’s a difficult choice but I think Douglas (and Saleh) would want Newsome who is much better than the next tier of CB.

My Picks

• #2 - Zach Wilson, QB
  • #23 - Greg Newsome II, CB
  • #34 - Wyatt Davis, OL
  • #66 - Rashad Weaver, Edge
  • #86 - Quinn Meneirz, OL
  • #107 - Anthony Schwartz, WR
  • #146 - Sage Surratt, WR
  • #154 - Radarius Williams, CB

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Your pushing it but OK! Douglas gonna get some heat from that. 

Douglas would get more heat if he, YET AGAIN, doesn't support his young QB. I think the entire draft should be offense if you ask me. I can deal with a year of giving up 30ppg. I can't deal with another destroyed young QB and 5 more years wasted. STOP IT with the defense already people!!!

1 hour ago, adobolo2 said:

That's fair but I don't think our o line is as bad as people think, it does need another premium draft pick at #23 or #34 but last year we put 4 new players on the line who had no time to gel because of the lack of pre season and then it seemed like one injury after another. 

We have a new line coach and blocking scheme and I expect massive improvement for the current crop of players we currently have this year.

People keep saying this and I really don't know how you come to that conclusion.

It was the worst OL in the league last year and hasn't been upgraded.  

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 - qb zach wilson

23 - OT tevin jenkins

34 - wr terrence marshall

66 - rb kenneth gainwell

86 - te tommy tremble

I'd be okay with this, they would have to sign Richard Sherman the next day though.

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

People keep saying this and I really don't know how you come to that conclusion.

It was the worst OL in the league last year and hasn't been upgraded.  

Say we select a top guard at 23 or 34 to play RG beside Fant, Mcgovern in the center and the best from lewis/feeny/GVR at lg beside Becton and get a bond between the entire group. I would really like to see Edoga be given a chance at guard this year also.

But that's just my opinion how would you approach the line with the draft?

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Depends on what's available on the market. It's quite possible that they don't draft an o-lineman until round 3. My preference is offense in general early in the draft. I understand that if a talented CB for instance falls to them at 23 they may go that way. I have no problem waiting for the draft and post draft FA to cast premature judgement on how it went. However, God, Allah, ET, or whomever help the Jets if they pick a SS at 23.  

I'd be pretty surprised at a SS.

I wouldn't be surprised at a G/C/RT to play guard this year; nor a corner; nor a hand-in-dirt edge rusher.

I'd be surprised at a TE only because - just by looking at a couple others' grades - there don't seem to be any TEs worth a 1st rounder after Pitts.

I'd also be surprised at a RB, but it'd be more likely than TE. 

WR also possible, I suppose, but I'd be pretty surprised to see it. Doubt he sees that as an immediate need, and it lessens the balance in his draft selections for taking a TE earlier as well. (He's not drafting a QB then a WR on day 1, then a TE earlier on day 2, and leave CB or OL - or possibly both - until late round 3 or on day 3 outright). I mean it could happen but I think it's less likely.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Are you just trying to put a nail in the coffin prior to surgery or what lol. Honestly though, we have the right receivers to pair with him. As much as I'm nervous about the Jets offensive line/ability to protect a rookie QB, I'm really excited for Wilson-to-Mims. I have a feeling those two are going to establish quite the connection. 

If the Jets do trade down from #23, the Chiefs are the team that many people think will look to move up for an OL. I think the Jets can trade down, but I only see them doing it if the guys they want there are gone. I feel a lot more confident in them moving down from 34. 

I was actually saying this to someone the other day.  I see scenarios where it can be a lot like last years draft in round 2. If terrance marshall is there at 34 i can see them taking him right then and there. However, if he were gone i could see a scenario where douglas trades down from 34 once or twice to accumulate extra RD 3/4 picks and future picks next season and then tries to grab Moore in the move back, similar to how they grabbed Mims later than we all wished. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Are you just trying to put a nail in the coffin prior to surgery or what lol. Honestly though, we have the right receivers to pair with him. As much as I'm nervous about the Jets offensive line/ability to protect a rookie QB, I'm really excited for Wilson-to-Mims. I have a feeling those two are going to establish quite the connection. 

If the Jets do trade down from #23, the Chiefs are the team that many people think will look to move up for an OL. I think the Jets can trade down, but I only see them doing it if the guys they want there are gone. I feel a lot more confident in them moving down from 34. 

As far as the Oline we know that even high draft picks will take some time to learn especially if inserted as starters right away. Just like Brady's 1st year or 2 (when he would do mostly 3 step drops and throw), Jets should do a lot of that to start with Wilson along with bootlegs to get the ball out of his hands quick on slants, bubble screens, etc. He has the accuracy to do that consistently, and as our Oline gets better and better over the next year or 2 then there could be more consistent downfield patterns that take longer time to develop. As far as the draft with the picks in rounds 1-4 (without any trades) we have 6 picks that can be balanced to where we take a CB with 1 of the 1st 3 picks as well as G that can be a T if he plays inside at this point. Then the other 3 picks should be Edge rusher, WR, and RB. That will allow us to get 4 important players on O with QB, IOL, WR, and RB, and 2 much needed defenders at Edge and CB to make this D keep teams from scoring too high on us putting the O under too much pressure. Then with the 4 picks 2 in each rounds 5 and 6 we can get more OLine and likely take a chance on some areas we need improvement TE, K, LB, etc. JD likely will make some trades netting more than 10 draft picks and then after the draft try and address some areas and depth with UDFAs from college as well as some addition NFL FAs that shake loose between the day after the draft and training camp. If this coaching staff can get the culture going pretty fast with their schemes and getting the players to quickly buy into the mentalities of the coaches(Like Thibs has done with the Knicks) then we should be competitive even this season and depending on how competitive perhaps can attract even better FAs going forward, though some have already come here due to wanting to play for Saleh, so his past achievements are already starting to help make a change in the right direction.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

I've wavered on this, but am now in the same boat as you, on basically not wanting to trade up.

Where it gets a little tricky if is Jenkins and Vera Tucker are off the board at 23, which is 70:30 likely. What is our contingency plan then? 'Reach' a little for Humphrey or Davis, or a more talented defensive player? 

At that point, I'm looking to trade down and take the IOL, but it takes two to tango, and we need anotehr team to move up. 

Agreed. That is worst case scenario. I'd also consider Samuel Cosmi/ maybe even Dillon Radunz at 23 (thought that is a bit of a reach) - or trade back a bit. If all that is impossible then I guess I'd consider either Etienne/ Williams/ Harris (in that order) or the best available EDGE/ CB. But I really want one of those o line guys hoping one slips through to us.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

#2 has been a conversation vacuum, but the real intrigue now lies at #23... I don't think there's "an easy" pick there... I'm going to speculate the OT they want will be gone... the sweet spot for IOL and CB is in rounds 2/3 (the separation of talent isn't significant between the DBs in rnd 1 and in round 2.... even round 3 a degree as well. 

They have trade back, unless they fall in love with a LB or WR, but both are luxury picks for us/value. 

Gun to head - LSU's Terrace Marshall Jr (WR) or their top rated Pass Rusher/DE

I think JEREMIAH OWUSU-KORAMOAH would be the perfect fit if he drops for Pass rusher.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Everything that JD has said about his team building philosophy says you are wrong. 

Hey, I posted an article on SBNation about the draft, Wilson, Fields, etc.

Please check it out if you are interested and share with fellow Jet fans.  If not, no worries.  It’s all good.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22378730/hype-and-slander-narratives-and-labels-the-media-driven-in-anity-of

Thanks guys.

Trade the 23 and Fatukasi to the Falcons for the 35 and 68 and Deion Jones.

2. Zach Wilson

34. Terrace Marshall

35. Gregory Rousseau

66. Landon Dickerson

68. Trey Smith

86. Pat Freiermuth

107. Deonte Brown

146. Trey Sermon

154. Keith Taylor

186. Ben Mason

226. Jose Borregalas

10 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

I understand why people want noting but offence with our premium picks but on the flip side of that if our defence is terrible we are playing from behind every week and putting our rookie QB in a situation where he has to force balls to make things happen and obvious passing situations, we don't want that to happen early in his carrier.

dont forget how teams love to blitz rookie QBs, especially our friend in NE. 

i dont care how good our line is Wilson wont be alive long if he gets blitzed 50 times a game

How is it failing him by giving him a good team on both sides of the ball, last year we were blown out game after game and Sam was trying and failing to make things happen, when the defense eventually showed up against the Rams Sam played a steady and decent game where he was productive and we won. 

You can backfill a defense in FA down the line far easier than trying to groom a QB with inferior talent. It is beyond imperative that we surround the QB with talent and protect him on the line. That is abundantly clear. If we’re losing games 50-45 you can solve that in a year in FA on defense. Offense needs young consistent talent surrounding the QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Hell everyone else does it so I might as well.

#2 overall. Zach Wilson. This isn't even close imo. The coaching staff has the perfect system for him. The receivers are big and his down field accuracy will come in handy with receivers like this. They are going to stretch the field a bit.

#23 -  think this pick is going to get traded.  Maybe they love a player here but I see Douglas turning this pick into two players.

Other than that get a Guard and Cornerback in here with the next two picks and let's have some fun!

Personally I love the thought of Travis Ettiene at 23. But I don't see them doing it. Running backs seem to be more plug and play in this system. But i'd be fore Travis, he is explosive and can catch as well. Would be a great weapon for a rookie QB to have.

Yup, I think a trade back from EITHER 23 or 34 is likely.  After seeing JD in action for a couple years now it just seems like what he wants to do.  It'll obviously all come down to who is on the board in those spots.  If one of the Top 5 OLinemen is there at 23 I think he'll stick and pick, then trade down from 34.  If it's too much of a reach for OL at 23 because all of his targeted guys are gone then I think you're right, he'll trade back from 23 and grab some OLine later (but not much later).  Since the Jets don't have a need at LT it does seem like their options are pretty good for finding either a RT or OG later, even as late as 66.

I found this little piece of incoherent rambling on Bleacher Report: 

"Jets Receive: David Njoku, No. 26 pick

Browns Receive: No. 23 pick

The future of Cleveland Browns tight end David Njoku is extremely uncertain. While his fifth-year option has already become guaranteed, the 2017 first-round pick hasn't had the best relationship with the Browns and has previously asked to be traded.

"It is in David's best interest to find a new team at this time," agent Drew Rosenhaus said last summer, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

With Austin Hooper and 2020 fourth-round pick Harrison Bryant on the roster, Cleveland could very well view Njoku as expendable. Using him as draft-day trade leverage would make a ton of sense if the Browns don't expect Njoku back next offseason.

One potential trade target is the Jets. After trading Darnold, New York is almost certainly in the market for a quarterback at pick No. 2. A playmaking tight end can help a young quarterback develop, and the Jets don't currently have one on their roster.

While Njoku has had an up-and-down career thus far, he did rack up 639 receiving yards and four touchdowns in his second season.

Moving up three spots in the first round might not seem like a massive return for Njoku, but it could be huge for Cleveland, especially if the Browns have an eye on one of the draft's top pass-rushers. After all, the Pittsburgh Steelers lost Bud Dupree in free agency and own the 24th pick in the draft.

It could also be big if Cleveland is targeting a cornerback. The Tennessee Titans, who own the 22nd pick, ranked just 29th in pass defense last season. Cleveland, meanwhile, registered 38 sacks and ranked 22nd in pass defense in 2020."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2939828-the-7-most-plausible-2021-nfl-draft-day-trades