My thoughts on the Jets draft

Maxman

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 - qb zach wilson

23 - OT tevin jenkins

34 - wr terrence marshall

66 - rb kenneth gainwell

86 - te tommy tremble

Nice! We'd just have to score about 57 points a game since opposing QB's would throw for around 600 yards a game against us.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup, I think a trade back from EITHER 23 or 34 is likely.  After seeing JD in action for a couple years now it just seems like what he wants to do.  It'll obviously all come down to who is on the board in those spots.  If one of the Top 5 OLinemen is there at 23 I think he'll stick and pick, then trade down from 34.  If it's too much of a reach for OL at 23 because all of his targeted guys are gone then I think you're right, he'll trade back from 23 and grab some OLine later (but not much later).  Since the Jets don't have a need at LT it does seem like their options are pretty good for finding either a RT or OG later, even as late as 66.

At pick 11 JD did NOT trade up or back. He took Mountain Man because this OL desperately needed a top prospect at LT. Again, we are fortunate to have an extra top pick in round 1 @ 23 and JD will AGAIN take the best OL - (Guard, since that's what we desperately need - or RT - if one falls that's to good to pass on - he can move Fant to Guard). So it's G or RT. The OL needs to be improved. At first, I was open to getting OL later in rounds 2-4 but JD is an ole OL guy and knows the importance of establishing a strong foundation there, especially with Twinkie taking over at QB.  I also look for JD to grab another OL in round 3 or 4.  So many good ones to be had.  Look for JD to trade back @34.  He's a riverboat gambler and will add a pick.  

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

I understand why people want noting but offence with our premium picks but on the flip side of that if our defence is terrible we are playing from behind every week and putting our rookie QB in a situation where he has to force balls to make things happen and obvious passing situations, we don't want that to happen early in his carrier.

Agreed.  We still need a corner badly 

17 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

I understand why people want noting but offence with our premium picks but on the flip side of that if our defence is terrible we are playing from behind every week and putting our rookie QB in a situation where he has to force balls to make things happen and obvious passing situations, we don't want that to happen early in his carrier.

Other than an elite edge, our D is good enough that we don't need to spend a premium pick anywhere. We could use better off-ball LBs but what we have is competent, and our CBs are playable especially in a cover 3. While an elite pass rushing edge would make a big difference for this D, and I'd understand grabbing a guy like Jaelan Philips or Kwity Paye at 23, or of course if they fell to 34, I'd rather see them go all-in on making Wilson successful; long term, it's better for the team to fix the offense this draft and use the next draft to beast out the D and finish the O, rather than going half and half in each.

That also seems to align with value; I'm not a draftnik but this year's class of prospects seems substantially deeper and better on the offensive side of the ball than on D (we may see only 1 or 2 D players in the top 10 this year, for example) and I have to think that next year will be better on D than this year.

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

People keep saying this and I really don't know how you come to that conclusion.

It was the worst OL in the league last year and hasn't been upgraded.  

Gase and Co. are gone so it's addition by subtraction.  

14 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Other than an elite edge, our D is good enough that we don't need to spend a premium pick anywhere. We could use better off-ball LBs but what we have is competent, and our CBs are playable especially in a cover 3. While an elite pass rushing edge would make a big difference for this D, and I'd understand grabbing a guy like Jaelan Philips or Kwity Paye at 23, or of course if they fell to 34, I'd rather see them go all-in on making Wilson successful; long term, it's better for the team to fix the offense this draft and use the next draft to beast out the D and finish the O, rather than going half and half in each.

That also seems to align with value; I'm not a draftnik but this year's class of prospects seems substantially deeper and better on the offensive side of the ball than on D (we may see only 1 or 2 D players in the top 10 this year, for example) and I have to think that next year will be better on D than this year.

Corner is still a massive need.  I’d be fine with going corner with 23 or 34.  Let’s say we went corner at 23 we could still grab a good OL at 34 and go offense with our two third rounders 

40 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I agree with you on all points except the fact that our cornerbacks are good enough right now even in a zonal scheme. Hall, Austin and guidary (sp) are still projects and personally I don't see Austin as anything other than a capable back up. We may be able to find project corners in the 3rd round but if a farley or newsome are on the board at #23 I would take one of them. 

Just saw a mock draft that fell like this for us:

1a) Zach Wilson QB

1b) Wyatt Davis OG

2) Caleb Farley CB

3a) Javonte Williams RB

3b) Elijah Moore WR

4) Hunter Long TE

While there is never a guarantee that picks will work, there shouldn't be ANYONE disappointed if the draft fell that way.  Holy crap!

13 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Just saw a mock draft that fell like this for us:

1a) Zach Wilson QB

1b) Wyatt Davis OG

2) Caleb Farley CB

3a) Javonte Williams RB

3b) Elijah Moore WR

4) Hunter Long TE

While there is never a guarantee that picks will work, there shouldn't be ANYONE disappointed if the draft fell that way.  Holy crap!

CB at 34 is bad.  Offense only.

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

CB at 34 is bad.  Offense only.

Dude....seriously!  Just because we take a CB, who could be one of the best CB's in the draft but is expected to slip because of injuries?  

I just can't get on board with what you are selling.  5 out of 6 of our first picks are offense, all at positions of need.  Just because we take a CB with pick number 2 would not derail this draft.  This would be an A+++ draft.  

14 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Dude....seriously!  Just because we take a CB, who could be one of the best CB's in the draft but is expected to slip because of injuries?  

I just can't get on board with what you are selling.  5 out of 6 of our first picks are offense, all at positions of need.  Just because we take a CB with pick number 2 would not derail this draft.  This would be an A+++ draft.  

Yeah, you and I are just going to have agree to disagree.  As far as I'm concerned taking defense with any of the first 4 picks would be a terrible draft.  My position is not going to change. 

Understanding the already talent gap between offense and defense and our long term and recent history - I can honestly say I truly can't understand how you don't' feel the same way.  I would find it the height of incompetence to not support our new QB by using the next 3 premium picks to help build a team around him.

Anyway, we're just not going to see eye-to-eye.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, you and I are just going to have agree to disagree.  As far as I'm concerned taking defense with any of the first 4 picks would be a terrible draft.  My position is not going to change. 

Understanding the already talent gap between offense and defense and our long term and recent history - I can honestly say I truly can't understand how you don't' feel the same way.  I would find it the height of incompetence to not support our new QB by using the next 3 premium picks to help build a team around him.

Anyway, we're just not going to see eye-to-eye.

Nope...we are not.  I don't see the issue grabbing one of the top CB in the draft when we need a QB at 2 when 5/6 first picks are on offence.  The only concern I would have there is if we grabbed the top defensive player at 2 instead of a QB.