Turns out Eagles are more dysfunctional than the Jets! (Alternate Thread Title: Which poster in the Draft Forum is really Jeffrey Lurie?)

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3358844/report-describes-the-dysfunctional-clown-show-that-was-the-eagles-where-doug-pederson-got-treated-like-a-baby-and-fought-with-harvard-analytics-interlopers

Report Describes the Dysfunctional Clown Show That Was the Eagles, Where Doug Pederson Got Treated 'Like a Baby' and Fought with Harvard Analytics 'Interlopers'

You might assume that when a head coach wins an improbable Super Bowl with his backup quarterback in just his second season on the job, and then just three years later is either fired or quits - and no one is really sure which - that there's something wrong there. Something really, really, terribly wrong with that organization. 

But according to this report in The Athletic (paywall), when that team happens to be the Philadelphia Eagles, you don't know the half of it. From the sound of things, Jeffrey Lurie runs the team like King Joffrey, with backstabbing, fear, intimidation and internal spies reporting to him directly as the chief way of conducting business. 

The article is long and goes into a lot of depth, with anonymous sources and too many names to keep track of, so just to hit the highlights:

--Lurie reportedly tried to force out offensive coordinator Frank Reich after just one year on the job, and Doug Pederson had to fight to hang onto him. The following year in the Super Bowl, Reich schemed the Eagles up to 41 points in the Super Bowl, with eight of his team's possessions resulting in scores and only one punt all game. A year after that, he was a head coach. 

--In 2019, Lurie succeeded in forcing Pederson to fire assistants Mike Groh and Carson Walch.

--Every Tuesday, Lurie and GM Howie Roseman would insist on sitting down with Pederson and interrogating him on all his game day decisions for hours on end, and "treated him like a baby." 

[Pederson] was ridiculed and criticized for every decision,” a source told The Athletic. If you won by three, it wasn’t enough. If you lost on a last-second field goal, you’re the worst coach in history.

The fact that Doug had the success he did with all the s— going on in the building, sometimes I look at our Super Bowl rings, and I’m like, ‘Holy cow, I don’t know how we did it.’

--Part of the grilling can apparently be traced to ownership's love of analytics. The head of that department is Vice President of Football Operations and Strategy Alec Halaby, who went to Harvard with Lurie's son and works under Roseman. He's either "brilliant" or an "interloper," depending on which anonymous source The Athletic spoke to.

The blurriness of Halaby’s influence on the final decision-makers created rifts throughout the organization and contributed to the iciness between departments. One source described the analytics team as a “clandestine, Black Ops department that doesn’t answer to anybody except the owner,” even though Halaby officially reports to Roseman.

During the 2017 season, Halaby and Pederson’s relationship soured to the point where Pederson berated Halaby within earshot of the rest of the office, according to sources. In the opinion of some members of the coaching staff, Halaby was not to be trusted.

--For instance, after a game against Packers on a Thursday night, Lurie pulled Pederson into the interrogation room, handcuffed him to the table (not really, I'm just using imagery to set the mood) and demanded to know why he didn't throw the ball more, because that's what the advanced metrics said would work. It's worth noting that this was after beating Green Bay.

--Lurie is a meddling, draftnik wannabe, vetoing what the scouting staff called for in the war room and making his own decisions unilaterally. (lol!!)

According to multiple sources, Lurie devours tape of college prospects and is an “active participant” in the pre-draft process. Those who have experienced that process aknowledge its murkiness. Often, there’s no explanation given when the team strays from an established draft board. Sometimes, as with J.J. Arcega-Whiteside’s selection in 2019, Lurie puts his thumb on the scale when the team was prepared to make another selection (in that case, Ohio State’s Parris Campbell).

It goes on and on from there, but I think I've painted the broad strokes of this insane, dysfunctional sh*t show. Holy moly. I'm not saying this lets Pederson off the hook entirely for the rapid decline and fall of the Eagles empire, but it certainly does explain a lot. This is how you go from 13-3 and a ring to 4-12 and out of work in four short years. And might go a long way toward explaining the epic failures of some of the individual Eagles players like Carson Wentz. A fish rots from the head and all that. And from the sound o of things, this has been a franchise with serious fish cancer of the brain.

All of which brings the Patriots fan in me to a very dark place. I hate to make this all about them, but it is about them. This one anonymous source is looking at their Super Bowl LII rings and wondering how they did it? Believe me, everyone in New England is looking at an empty space above the south end zone in Gillette where a banner should be and asking the same question. Yes, six should be enough but it isn't. Not when you lost to a organization that is run like the Kremlin under Stalin and can't believe they beat us with everyone looking over their shoulder, getting second and third guessed by Harvard mathletes and expecting to be fired. 

Typically this kind of in-fighting and internal conflict is what happens to teams the Patriots beat, not the ones they lose to. Just look no further than to Atlanta for proof. The fact they couldn't keep it together after a great and improbable victory is astonishing. Though, I guess in a way it makes what the Pats were able to sustain for two decades (and counting, I hope) all the more impressive, I suppose. All I know is it couldn't happen to a nicer team. I hope Lane Johnson had fun during all this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It hurt when the Browns suddenly became a playoff team last year, but with the Texans skyrocketing to #1, this Eagles debacle knocks us down to #3 on the NFL dysfunction chart!

Kidding aside, I think that with Douglas and Saleh as our respected GM/coach combo, and with some reports suggesting that the Johnson brothers are letting JD run the show, I really think our perception as a dysfunctional laughingstock is on borrowed time.  We're seeing a lot of people out there trying to get their last shots in during this offseason, but I think the "J-E-S-T-S" narrative that the media and other NFL fans love so much is going to start ringing hollow starting this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MykePM said:

It hurt when the Browns suddenly became a playoff team last year, but with the Texans skyrocketing to #1, this Eagles debacle knocks us down to #3 on the NFL dysfunction chart!

Kidding aside, I think that with Douglas and Saleh as our respected GM/coach combo, and with some reports suggesting that the Johnson brothers are letting JD run the show, I really think our perception as a dysfunctional laughingstock is on borrowed time.  We're seeing a lot of people out there trying to get their last shots in during this offseason, but I think the "J-E-S-T-S" narrative that the media and other NFL fans love so much is going to start ringing hollow starting this year.

Winning would cure a lot.  But winning with some class would rid the Jets of the dysfunction cloud.  Think back to the 2009-2011 Jets.... they finally started getting some respect because they were playing tough football, ground and pound, the D was killer.  Winning was curing a lot of perception problems even though Rex was a blowhard and a bit of a clown, but then they fell to earth.  Not only did they become average and then below average but Rex became a caricature of himself, his foot issues, his Super Bowl guarantees, etc.  Losing is one thing, but losing while embarrassing yourself is something different.

With Gase now gone and some "adults in the room" with JD and hopefully Saleh, I think the slate is somewhat clean.  It will take time but doing things the right way and, most importantly, starting to win some games will restore respect.

The Texans dysfunction is clearly off the charts at the moment.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, undertow said:

What happened to the Eagles is the same exact thing that happens to a lot of teams including the Rex Ryan Jets...a little success and egos get out of control and everybody is fighting over power and credit.

True but evidently there were serious problems BEFORE Philly won the SB.

As in, if Lurie had had his way, Reich would have been gone a year prior to their SB victory (thus likely preventing it from ever happening). 

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The new york Jets won 2 games last year 

I'm not sure anyones more dysfunctional. Maybe the jags but they are trying to move to London 

We won 2 games last season and probably won’t win more than 4 next season but we are mocking a team 2 years removed from winning a super bowl

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We won 2 games last season and probably won’t win more than 4 next season but we are mocking a team 2 years removed from winning a super bowl

This fanbase loves to imagine situations worse than ours and laugh at them 

The harsh reality is that there are no teams worse off than this one 

None 

If the NFL had relegation the Jets would be in the 4th division by now 

But hey let's bring in an undersized rookie qb and force him to start week 1. What could go wrong? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

None 

But hey let's bring in an undersized rookie qb and force him to start week 1. What could go wrong? 

I don’t know Bit. I’m still short the Texans and my prime broker can’t borrow any more.?

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

None 

They have a term for you: "Fanemy."

image.png.050b84d82c949ebd2dae722fce0a3fef.png

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

None 

More like Dante’s rings of hell. 

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

None 

The bolded is exactly why your post are so hard to take seriously.

You're correct in the Jets ineptitude are managed as poorly as any team in the NFL.  Jets and Eagles aren't close.   Until the Jets prove otherwise they're just horribly run.

And then you throw in non-sense like "undersized" that make's you sound like a troll.

I am sorry for even responding, but I won't anymore.

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The bolded is exactly why your post are so hard to take seriously.

You're correct in the Jets ineptitude are managed as poorly as any team in the NFL.  Jets and Eagles aren't close.   Until the Jets prove otherwise they're just horribly run.

And then you throw in non-sense like "undersized" that make's you sound like a troll.

I am sorry for even responding, but I won't anymore.

there are two types of people in this league -those who look like the hulk and those who look like david banner 

i don't have anything against the David Banner types, i wish them the best of luck 

2 feels rich for any mortal 

10 hours ago, MykePM said:

It remains to be seen.

Never count out the ability for the Jets to F*** sh*t up.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MykePM said:

Sure somebody mentioned it, but our respected GM came from that organization.  That improbable super bowl win was a big part of his credibility.

Lurie sounds like another control freak owner...James Dolan of the Knicks.  Knicks look to be well run at this moment.  A competitive .500 team for a change.  But because of Dolan...many don't think it will last.   

Its a shame that sports ownership seems to have become an exclusive club for billionaires only.  There are few pioneer family ownerships like the Rooney's and Mara's involved in sports anymore.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Lurie sounds like another control freak owner...James Dolan of the Knicks.  Knicks look to be well run at this moment.  A competitive .500 team for a change.  But because of Dolan...many don't think it will last.   

Its a shame that sports ownership seems to have become an exclusive club for billionaires only.  There are few pioneer family ownerships like the Rooney's and Mara's involved in sports anymore.

Dolan finally learned to let basketball people do their thing.  He seems to have a good relationship with Thibs and Rose