? ? Dee Milliner.. our WORST draft pick of the past decade ? ? ?

kelly

The NY Jets have had their fair share of draft busts over the years. From outright duds like Vernon Gholston and Quinton Coples to others who just never lived up to expectations like Leonard Williams, the Jets have had no shortage of draft mishaps.

More so in recent years, the first round has not been kind to the Jets. Following the Sam Darnold trade, no player the Jets have drafted in the first round prior to the 2019 NFL Draft remains on the roster.The last decade has been particularly discouraging for the Jets, but perhaps one name stands out amongst them all — cornerback Dee Milliner.Bleacher Report’s Alex Kay recently released an article listing every NFL team’s worst draft pick of the past decade. And Milliner earned the unfortunate distinction of being the nominee for the Jets.

That’s over the likes of Kyle Wilson, Calvin Pryor, Darron Lee, and the aforementioned Coples who were all selected during the decade of the 2010s. According to Kay, Milliner stands out amongst them all.

Dee Milliner was a massive bust for the NY Jets

Milliner entered the NFL with considerable hype after a standout career at Alabama. Many touted him as one of the best players in the 2013 NFL Draft class with some mocks even projecting him as high as the top-three prior to the draft.He ultimately fell all the way to the ninth overall selection where the Jets made him their first of two first-round picks that year, along with defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson.

Although Richardson departed New York after just four seasons, it’s safe to say that he’s enjoyed a more successful career than his fellow draftee.Milliner started 12 of 13 games in his rookie season, enduring his share of rookie growing pains. However, he finished the year strong recording three interceptions in the final two games of the season earning AFC Defensive Player of the Week and NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month honors.

Unfortunately, he would go on to play just eight more games in his brief NFL career.

An ankle sprain kept Milliner out of training camp in 2014 and upon his return, he suffered a torn Achilles which ended his sophomore season after just three games.His 2015 season was marred by yet another injury as offseason wrist surgery limited him to just five games. By the time the 2016 season rolled around, Milliner had played just 21 of 48 possible games.The Jets declined his fifth-year option before he landed on injured reserve yet again. This time would be his last as he was released by the team before the end of September.

Somewhat incredibly, Milliner never even made it to training camp with another NFL team.Injuries ultimately tanked Milliner’s career, but it was always going to be difficult for him to live up to the lofty expectations placed upon him. The Darrelle Revis comparisons certainly didn’t do him any favors.Is he the biggest Jets bust of the past decade? It’s certainly plausible, especially given how high he was selected and the expectations that followed him to the NFL.

Dee Milliner will undoubtedly go down in history as one of the biggest draft duds in NY Jets history.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2021/04/13/ny-jets-dee-milliner-worst-draft-pick/

• Upvote 1

Not even close bust wise.

"Jets CB Dee Milliner Named AFC Defensive Rookie Of The Month

He finished his rookie campaign strong, picking off two passes and defending five others in Gang Green's finale in Miami. He also recorded four tackles. The 22-year-old was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his stellar performance"

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, genot said:

How could anybody be worse than a football player, who really didn't want to be a football player. Vernon Gholston.

Completely agree. The Milliner pick, while certainly a bust, was a totally sensible pick of the top ranked guy at our position of biggest need that season. He was also picked 9th. 

For me, Gholston by a healthy margin.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Gholston with 0 sacks and picked 6th is the one.

Hackenburg is up there as well, just because the guy sucked badly before he was drafted should have been a 7th rounder or udfa and was picked 2nd round

Hackenberg was just a terrible pick. I don’t even consider him a bust. I’d have more expectations if we drafted a random guy on the street.

Genuinely one of the worst moments I’ve had as a Jets fans was hearing his name. Debacle.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

Gholston was the chalk pick at 6 and everyone knew he was boom or bust. I can’t fault the Jets for taking Gholston at 6.

i can fault them for taking Kyle Brady at 9 and Roger Vick at 21. 

Did you ever hear Gholston talk. It sounded like he was on Lithium. The Jet's failed in the interview process. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Hackenberg was just a terrible pick. I don’t even consider him a bust. I’d have more expectations if we drafted a random guy on the street.

Genuinely one of the worst moments I’ve had as a Jets fans was hearing his name. Debacle.

Each year in the drat forum we have a 'Who do you not want to draft' thread and hackenburg and Darron Lee were big mentions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kelly said:

s-l300.jpg

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Vernon Gholston is by far the biggest draft bust of late and possible the biggest ever. 

58 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Gholston was worse but not by much. Neither belonged in the league.

I hated the Milliner pick at the time, from the time we traded Revis for those picks I just didn’t want to go CB.

In his defence that whole draft was god awful. 

Decade means 10 years.....   really????  This is 2021.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Not even close bust wise.

"Jets CB Dee Milliner Named AFC Defensive Rookie Of The Month

He finished his rookie campaign strong, picking off two passes and defending five others in Gang Green's finale in Miami. He also recorded four tackles. The 22-year-old was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his stellar performance"

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Did Milliner really have three pics his rookie year? 

IIRC, all of this happened during the 4 or 5 games that Ed Reed was a starting safety for the Jets. Goes to show you how a transcendent player can make an impact even at a non-premium position and even when he's extremely over the hill.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Polite is absolutely up there for me too. I know that he was in the 3rd round, but the fact he was cut the same summer he was drafted was some kind of special. 

Milliber sucks but I remember that one game he balled out so I can’t say him. 

it has to be Hack Or Vernon. 

im going to go with Hack because I’m also a PennState fan and I always wanted the Jets to draft a PSU player since I started following the actual players and not just the team, but he was always the one player who I wanted them to go no where near...at any point in the draft, let alone the second round. 

still bothers me to this day. 

1 Hack

2 Gholston

3 Polite

4 Milliner

41 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

IIRC, all of this happened during the 4 or 5 games that Ed Reed was a starting safety for the Jets. Goes to show you how a transcendent player can make an impact even at a non-premium position and even when he's extremely over the hill.

Call you “Iceman” from now on, 

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

The haul we got makes him one of the best picks. 

We passed on Patrick Mahomes to take a Box Safety. 

We could have traded Jamal Adams for 15 first round picks and it wouldn't add up to the value that Mahomes carries.

It was a horrific pick for a QB-needy team.  The Bears may have traded up for Trubisky, but at least they tried to draft a QB in that class.  They simply took the wrong one.  The Jets passed on the QB's because of....Christian Hackenberg, who didn't play a down in the NFL (and even sucked in the AAF).  And as an additional little kick in the nuts, Trubisky ended up being better than Darnold by a not so slim margin, too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We passed on Patrick Mahomes.  

We could have traded Jamal Adams for 15 first round picks and it wouldn't add up to the value that Mahomes carries.

Patrick Mahomes would have been Maccagnaned on the Jets. We wouldn’t have the same Mahomes. 

Just now, GreenFish said:

Gholson is the biggest bust. He sucked. Milliner just couldn’t stay healthy. Although I recall him having like a dozen surgeries in college. So we should have known better.

Gholston was bad.  Not as bad as the Hackenberg or Adams picks, because of what the Jets passed on.  That 2008 draft class was horrific, and at least Tannenbaum/Mangini were trying to find a pass rusher, something the franchise had been missing since the Abraham trade. 

The logic was sound.  The player just lacked the "right kind of athleticism" and was just really bad.  It happens.  

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Patrick Mahomes would have been Maccagnaned on the Jets. We wouldn’t have the same Mahomes. 

He would have been a top 5 QB on any franchise.  Circumstances do not play a majority role in whether a QB is good or not.  Justin Herbert played behind the # 32 ranked Offensive Line last season and a HC who ended up getting fired, and still was the OROY.