? ? Dee Milliner.. our WORST draft pick of the past decade ? ? ?

kelly

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Gholson is the biggest bust. He sucked. Milliner just couldn’t stay healthy. Although I recall him having like a dozen surgeries in college. So we should have known better.

Right.  I believe Milliner was defensive rookie of the month at one point.  Gholston has absolutely nothing to point to.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

So, asinine pick but not a bust which is the OP's topic. 

No, the topic reads "worst draft pick", not biggest bust.  Hackenberg was the worst, Adams was # 2, even though Gholston and Milliner were bigger busts than Adams.

If it was "biggest bust", you're right that Adams wouldn't be in consideration.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, kelly said:

The NY Jets have had their fair share of draft busts over the years. From outright duds like Vernon Gholston and Quinton Coples to others who just never lived up to expectations like Leonard Williams, the Jets have had no shortage of draft mishaps.

More so in recent years, the first round has not been kind to the Jets. Following the Sam Darnold trade, no player the Jets have drafted in the first round prior to the 2019 NFL Draft remains on the roster.The last decade has been particularly discouraging for the Jets, but perhaps one name stands out amongst them all — cornerback Dee Milliner.Bleacher Report’s Alex Kay recently released an article listing every NFL team’s worst draft pick of the past decade. And Milliner earned the unfortunate distinction of being the nominee for the Jets.

That’s over the likes of Kyle Wilson, Calvin Pryor, Darron Lee, and the aforementioned Coples who were all selected during the decade of the 2010s. According to Kay, Milliner stands out amongst them all.

Dee Milliner was a massive bust for the NY Jets

Milliner entered the NFL with considerable hype after a standout career at Alabama. Many touted him as one of the best players in the 2013 NFL Draft class with some mocks even projecting him as high as the top-three prior to the draft.He ultimately fell all the way to the ninth overall selection where the Jets made him their first of two first-round picks that year, along with defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson.

Although Richardson departed New York after just four seasons, it’s safe to say that he’s enjoyed a more successful career than his fellow draftee.Milliner started 12 of 13 games in his rookie season, enduring his share of rookie growing pains. However, he finished the year strong recording three interceptions in the final two games of the season earning AFC Defensive Player of the Week and NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month honors.

Unfortunately, he would go on to play just eight more games in his brief NFL career.

An ankle sprain kept Milliner out of training camp in 2014 and upon his return, he suffered a torn Achilles which ended his sophomore season after just three games.His 2015 season was marred by yet another injury as offseason wrist surgery limited him to just five games. By the time the 2016 season rolled around, Milliner had played just 21 of 48 possible games.The Jets declined his fifth-year option before he landed on injured reserve yet again. This time would be his last as he was released by the team before the end of September.

Somewhat incredibly, Milliner never even made it to training camp with another NFL team.Injuries ultimately tanked Milliner’s career, but it was always going to be difficult for him to live up to the lofty expectations placed upon him. The Darrelle Revis comparisons certainly didn’t do him any favors.Is he the biggest Jets bust of the past decade? It’s certainly plausible, especially given how high he was selected and the expectations that followed him to the NFL.

Dee Milliner will undoubtedly go down in history as one of the biggest draft duds in NY Jets history.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2021/04/13/ny-jets-dee-milliner-worst-draft-pick/

Gholston for sure

To be fair to the "Ghost", they did say the past DECADE.  Gholston was drafted in 2008 if I'm not mistaken.  My vote is on Hackenburg because he didn't play a snap, was a top 100 pick, and the implication of the Jets picking him was no Watson or Mahomes. That ripple effect was brutal enough!

shitshow GIF by Operator

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Not even close bust wise.

"Jets CB Dee Milliner Named AFC Defensive Rookie Of The Month

He finished his rookie campaign strong, picking off two passes and defending five others in Gang Green's finale in Miami. He also recorded four tackles. The 22-year-old was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his stellar performance"

Milliner had talent.  We had just traded Revis.  He also missed 0 games in college due to injury

But he also had a couple surgeries during college and an injury history.  His body immediately broke down once he got to the NFL

Good for us the Jets always learn from their mistakes

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Hackenberg was just a terrible pick. I don’t even consider him a bust. I’d have more expectations if we drafted a random guy on the street.

Genuinely one of the worst moments I’ve had as a Jets fans was hearing his name. Debacle.

Totally. He regressed every year at Penn St. Awful pick. 

The Coples one had me screaming at the TV too...so many moments with this team. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s Jamal Adams. Full Stop

When you consider the Jets barely had an offense and no real QB, failing to take either Watson or Mahomes with that pick was criminal and stupid.  Taking a safety there  was....words really fail to convey the idiocy. They did that day and nothing has changed. 

• Upvote 1

Guys I don't know how to break this to you but Gholston cannot be the biggest bust if the past decade .... Because you know .... He was not picked in the last decade..... Sooooo... Reading comprehension.

Darron Lee should be up there for one of our worst picks last decade for sure.... Milliner probably takes the cake just because he almost literally never played and got injured year after year but Lee was so bad ....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

When you consider the Jets barely had an offense and no real QB, failing to take either Watson or Mahomes with that pick was criminal and stupid.  Taking a safety there  was....words really fail to convey the idiocy. They did that day and nothing has changed. 

I agree totally it was the worst pick to make given what other needs the team had. Adams, though, was talented, and is still in the league, and I think the "worst pick/bust" label should be applied to those who could not get on the field or stay on the filed and do jack squat. To me, Hackenturd and the Ghost are pretty strong candidates.

In my book, if I had an "award" for the pick that I most hated - hated - it would be Kyle "Step Behind" Wilson, who celebrated every tackle he made after a long gain, committed three personal fouls on successive downs (a record?) and SOMEHOW collected a salary for six years in the NFL. I would get enraged every time I saw him pop up on the screen.

15 hours ago, kelly said:

The NY Jets have had their fair share of draft busts over the years. From outright duds like Vernon Gholston and Quinton Coples to others who just never lived up to expectations like Leonard Williams, the Jets have had no shortage of draft mishaps.

More so in recent years, the first round has not been kind to the Jets. Following the Sam Darnold trade, no player the Jets have drafted in the first round prior to the 2019 NFL Draft remains on the roster.The last decade has been particularly discouraging for the Jets, but perhaps one name stands out amongst them all — cornerback Dee Milliner.Bleacher Report’s Alex Kay recently released an article listing every NFL team’s worst draft pick of the past decade. And Milliner earned the unfortunate distinction of being the nominee for the Jets.

That’s over the likes of Kyle Wilson, Calvin Pryor, Darron Lee, and the aforementioned Coples who were all selected during the decade of the 2010s. According to Kay, Milliner stands out amongst them all.

Dee Milliner was a massive bust for the NY Jets

Milliner entered the NFL with considerable hype after a standout career at Alabama. Many touted him as one of the best players in the 2013 NFL Draft class with some mocks even projecting him as high as the top-three prior to the draft.He ultimately fell all the way to the ninth overall selection where the Jets made him their first of two first-round picks that year, along with defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson.

Although Richardson departed New York after just four seasons, it’s safe to say that he’s enjoyed a more successful career than his fellow draftee.Milliner started 12 of 13 games in his rookie season, enduring his share of rookie growing pains. However, he finished the year strong recording three interceptions in the final two games of the season earning AFC Defensive Player of the Week and NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month honors.

Unfortunately, he would go on to play just eight more games in his brief NFL career.

An ankle sprain kept Milliner out of training camp in 2014 and upon his return, he suffered a torn Achilles which ended his sophomore season after just three games.His 2015 season was marred by yet another injury as offseason wrist surgery limited him to just five games. By the time the 2016 season rolled around, Milliner had played just 21 of 48 possible games.The Jets declined his fifth-year option before he landed on injured reserve yet again. This time would be his last as he was released by the team before the end of September.

Somewhat incredibly, Milliner never even made it to training camp with another NFL team.Injuries ultimately tanked Milliner’s career, but it was always going to be difficult for him to live up to the lofty expectations placed upon him. The Darrelle Revis comparisons certainly didn’t do him any favors.Is he the biggest Jets bust of the past decade? It’s certainly plausible, especially given how high he was selected and the expectations that followed him to the NFL.

Dee Milliner will undoubtedly go down in history as one of the biggest draft duds in NY Jets history.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2021/04/13/ny-jets-dee-milliner-worst-draft-pick/

I like to focus on the worst draft picks over the past 20 years.  Vernon Gholston at #6, turned out to be a bust after his first practice with the team.  He was awful from the word "go".  At least Milliner has ability and if not for injuries, was at least a football player.  I don't know what Gholston was.  I still don't understand how he was any good at Ohio State.  I'm still very confused by him.  

Then, before him, we picked a running back with the #2 pick of the draft with Blair Thomas.  Wow, was he awful!!  

It was always my perception that both Gholston and Blair Thomas were "scared" of being in the NFL. It was like "I just want to go home to my mommy" type of scared.  

At least I can understand why they picked Milliner.  He was a supreme athlete, and he had ability and potential.  The game was not too big for him, but injury after injury made him an enormous bust.

Scouting for Blair Thomas and Gholston must have been nonexistent.  Neither player loved the game of football.  They loved getting paid and going home to "mommy".

13 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Hackenberg was just a terrible pick. I don’t even consider him a bust. I’d have more expectations if we drafted a random guy on the street.

Genuinely one of the worst moments I’ve had as a Jets fans was hearing his name. Debacle.

Telling the tale one more time; as a college aspiring player's parent you go to camps of schools to gauge the school's interest, how your son might fit, scholarship, etc. While my son was more of a low D1/high D2 prospect and wasn't invited to the PSU camp, he had friends that did get that invite. Schools put on their best face. Everyone is positive, and everyone loves one another. The real splits, natural and otherwise,  you see on teams over a season, position groups, offense/defense, black/white, coach's favorites. you do not see that at camp. Totally upbeat. Rutgers, one we did go to,  coming off a horrible season was "WE ARE RUTGERS!" . They continued to suck.

PSU camps during Hackenberg's senior season were different. EVERYBODY AT PSU WAS OPEN AND UPFRONT THAT CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG, THEIR STARTING QB, WAS A TOTAL A-HOLE. Nobody liked him, they merely tolerated him . That was every person, every group, every faction. They didn't hide it, they said it out loud to EVERYONE. They thought he was a complete dick.  Mike Maccagnan, on the other hand....

• Upvote 1

I would like to respond to my post a few minutes ago.  I said that Blair Thomas, picked #2 in the entire draft by the Jets was a bust.

Yes, he was a bust, but he was picked 31 years ago by the Jets.  lol  Man, am I dating myself or what?!

He played 4 seasons with the Jets, and amassed 2,000 yards during that time.  

At a average of 500 yards per season, yes, Blair Thomas was a huge disappointment with the #2 pick, and yes, 4 years tells his story, but he can not be labelled as big of a bust as Vernon Gholston, who never got one sack of the quarterback, and I don't even know if he ever made a tackle on the football field.

I apologize to Blair Thomas with lumping him in with Vernon Gholston.

Blair, you were still a humungous bust, but should not be lumped in with Gholston, who is in a category all by himself.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Gholston was the chalk pick at 6 and everyone knew he was boom or bust. I can’t fault the Jets for taking Gholston at 6.

i can fault them for taking Kyle Brady at 9 and Roger Vick at 21. 

Brady wasn't a bust though, he played in the league for 12 years.   It was just bad because the whole world knew the Jets should have drafted Sapp.

Bryan Thomas wasn't a bust either, but again, the whole world knew Ed Reed would have been a better pick at that spot.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

RE: Gholston, that whole first round was a trainwreck. Compared to what we passed up on to select Adams, picking Gholston looks like sheer genius. 

B9C98EA7-3D15-470A-B108-1DB757272685.png

What a horrific year.   Aside from Matt Ryan, just nothing.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Right.  I believe Milliner was defensive rookie of the month at one point.  Gholston has absolutely nothing to point to.

Marty Hurney, GM of the Panthers  back in those years was a member of my golf club.  He just left to go to Washington DC.  I am known as a HUGE Jets fan at my club and get my balls broken regularly.

Hurney looked me in the eye and said.. "The Jets did GREAT!  Drafting Milner and Geno Smith  were great picks." I felt great!

Well... shows how much he knows.

Thats a bunch of busts from Ohio State and Alabama.  It's not a coincidence, it's the fact that they have pro level talent all around them as well as playing much weaker opponents that make individual evaluations more difficult.  It makes me think of an enormous potential mistake in this upcoming draft with a certain Ohio State player.

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Dee Millner actually had 3 INTs his rookie year. Gholston never came close to recording a sack

He shut down a young Josh Gordon being left alone in an island with him.  The injury history caught up and he was getting picked on like crazy by every qb  we faced in 2014

6 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

The fact that people keep saying Gholston when he was drafted in 2008 .... Thus not in the past decade is making me insane ....

The exercise is last decade.... 2011 forward. JFC.

Darron Lee was actually worse than Milliner.  Just a total dud of a player and a first round pick